HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NSH matches PHI offer sheet to Weber (14 years, $7.8M)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-25-2012, 02:43 PM
  #701
Reaper1097
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I've talked with 4 New Yorkers and 2 from Boston so far and none agree with you. I'm still looking though, maybe I'll find someone.

Funny they're all saying they'd be more pissed if Weber used their team as simple leverage like he did Philly.
Well, for work I spend about half my time philly and the other half in new york and I get the complete opposite reaction that you got from your 4 new yorkers.

If anything, the ranger fans are more glad that nashville matched to keep him outta the division. (they also now throw Rick Nash in my face but that is another argument)

I have no ill will towards anyone in the whole ordeal or anyone commenting on these boards. I am just trying to understand why there isnt more back lash from the preds fan base. thats all...

Reaper1097 is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 02:45 PM
  #702
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 44,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1097 View Post
Ofcourse I wanted the flyers to get weber, that is obvious, he is the best Dman in the league IMO however, I fully expected the preds to match. But what I cant understand is the lack of resentment from preds fans. It is almost as if you guys are ok with what he did...

I have no reason to have an issue with weber, if anything, it is awesome that for a brief moment he wanted to play here. but it didnt work out that way.
Why do you want us to resent someone so badly? Seriously... just get over it. It'll be the best thing for you.

TMI is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 02:45 PM
  #703
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
If I'm taking this the wrong way forgive me, but I just love how if an agent says something like "Weber wants to play in Philly" after he signed an offer sheet it's proof that he wants out of Nashville, but if the GM in Nashville tells a story about Weber being excited to return to Nashville it's blown off as "well of course he'll say that".
You're a Preds fan, of course you would say this.

Your point is well taken.

KINGS17 is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 02:46 PM
  #704
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
I know I'm jumping the gun, but if (a big if) Nashville misses the playoffs this year, I think we're in for some controversy next off season.
Explain to me how Nashville is going to miss the playoffs? The biggest piece they lost was Suter. Their offense is basically untouched and it was #8 in the league. If anything, the Preds HAVE to add another 15 goal scoring forward. A vet D-man at the 2nd tier level to act as Jon Blum insurance.

The team that I have as a worry based on their roster right now: Detroit. Don't scoff. Nashville lost Suter but kept Weber. Detroit lost Lidstrom and Stuart #3 and #4 in TOI. I like some of the additions Columbus made and I think they are in the 8-9-10 contention along with Detroit.

As for people asking us if we should be upset that Nashville matched Weber; Nashville has all the depth in the world but they need top end talent. This is more than signing talent, this is another sign that hockey in Nashville is working. Just like the junior teams Nashville sending to international events and winning. Just like the hockey talent beginning to filter into the USHL and CHL. Just like attendance figures. Just like rising ticket prices. Just like historical DVDs talking about Nashville hockey.

Face it, we aren't going away, we will not be bullied, we will not be satisfied.

BigFatCat999 is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 02:47 PM
  #705
Pelle31
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
David Poile just told the story about how when they made the decision to match they decided to let Shea know before the media found out. Trotz, living 25 minutes away from Weber, was tasked with going to Shea's gym to tell him the news. Weber had already left the gym, so Trotz texted him telling him that they needed to talk. Weber said, "We aren't supposed to talk during this period." Trotz convinced him of the importance. When Weber was told he said "Great! Where are you now?". Trotz told him that he was in downtown Kelowna. Weber invited him to his house where he and his fiancee were. When Trotz got there they called Poile together, and Weber expressed his excitement to return.

So maybe he isn't so pissed off after all...
He has $110 million reasons not to be pissed, the question now is he going to be the true professional we all think he is and honour his contract. Or is he going to ***** and complain if Nashville doesn't upgrade the team when needed to remain a Stanley Cup contender in the coming years.

Pelle31 is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 02:50 PM
  #706
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 9,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle31 View Post
Reality check, there is no one on these boards that thought the Kings were going to win the cup this past season with maybe the exception of the Kings fans themselves so when Holmgren traded Richards there I'm sure that thought ever crossed his mind. And Carter wasn't traded to LA by Holmgren, he was traded to Columbus. It's hilarious the amount of hate by opposing fans towards Holmgren and the Flyers on this board. Nor did anyone expect Pronger to go down with a season-ending or possibly career-ending injury this past year. If Pronger is healthy, a Weber offer sheet isn't a thought. Despite what the majority of fans on here think, Holmgren is in the top 10 when it comes to GMs in the league. Some of his moves might not pan out but what GM doesn't have that, but he is one of the few GM in the league that has balls enough to try different things to improve his hockey club, I'm sure some Leaf fans aren't happy with Brian Burke with the fact he's done nothing this summer in the way of getting a number one centre and no JVR is not your answer for that position.
I don't know where I'd rank each GM in the NHL but I will say that I think the GM's in Nashville and Phoenix are doing far more with much less. Holmgren essentially has an open check book and carte blanche from what I understand. They SHOULD be one of the best teams from year to year. And they usually are but they still haven't won a Cup in what... almost 30 years? It was before my lifetime that is for sure. In my arm chair GM opinion, I thought Holmgren was way off the mark last year when he moved Richards and Carter for more offensive help. Your blueline is aging and I think trading those one of those two for who knows.. shea weber? or some other stalwart defensive prospects or young players would have been a more prudent investment. Nobody coud predict a Chris Pronger fluke injury but seeing one or both Timmonen and Pronger get hurt isn't a shock at their age. Having a legacy plan in place might have been a smarter move. Just my two cents..

Buddy The Elf is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 02:51 PM
  #707
nyrage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post

Nashville fans aren't running him out of town for two simple reasons: 1) it's just business, and 2) we won.

Take it or leave it, but that's the explanation.
That's so Walter White of you. Congrats on matching the offer. It would have sucked to have lost him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqkYr5uIreg

nyrage is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 02:52 PM
  #708
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 44,707
vCash: 500
You know, until HF Boards opened my eyes I wasn't aware that a guy who played a total of 9 regular season and 8 playoff games for a team could be counted as a loss even if the VAST majority of the team that was pretty good before those 17 total games remains intact. I guess Ottawa is going to struggle unless Filatov comes back. Detroit better bring Janik back from the DEL before they tank.

Seriously, though, I know that Radulov is better than pretty much any player who played a grand total of 9 RS games, but he still shouldn't be counted as a loss. This reminds me of last year when people were telling us how bad we would miss Joel freakin' Ward. It's a non-issue. The only people who are even mentioning Radulov are the same people who are, seemingly or obviously, rooting for the Preds to fail.

You'll have to find better reasons than "AK and Rads won't be back". They weren't brought back for a reason.

TMI is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 02:52 PM
  #709
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 44,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle31 View Post
He has $110 million reasons not to be pissed, the question now is he going to be the true professional we all think he is and honour his contract. Or is he going to ***** and complain if Nashville doesn't upgrade the team when needed to remain a Stanley Cup contender in the coming years.
He played pretty well last year after the summer of arbitration didn't he? In fact, he should have won the Norris.

TMI is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 02:58 PM
  #710
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1097 View Post
Well, for work I spend about half my time philly and the other half in new york and I get the complete opposite reaction that you got from your 4 new yorkers.

If anything, the ranger fans are more glad that nashville matched to keep him outta the division. (they also now throw Rick Nash in my face but that is another argument)

I have no ill will towards anyone in the whole ordeal or anyone commenting on these boards. I am just trying to understand why there isnt more back lash from the preds fan base. thats all...
How does this equate to the Weber situation as it relates to Nashville?

Ask them how they would feel had Lundqvist signed an offer sheet when he was an RFA and the Rangers matched it to keep him in New York for 10+ years.

You sound kind of upset that the Flyers are losing the nuclear arms race with the Rangers.

KINGS17 is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 03:05 PM
  #711
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 33,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Why do you want us to resent someone so badly? Seriously... just get over it. It'll be the best thing for you.
Why do you refuse to cooperate and show the anger I know you feel deep inside so I can spin my conspiracy theory on how Weber is going to want out after a year and force a trade for a crappy return like Nash did.

You are seriously hurting my game dude.

Jaded-Fan is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 03:12 PM
  #712
Pelle31
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I don't know where I'd rank each GM in the NHL but I will say that I think the GM's in Nashville and Phoenix are doing far more with much less. Holmgren essentially has an open check book and carte blanche from what I understand. They SHOULD be one of the best teams from year to year. And they usually are but they still haven't won a Cup in what... almost 30 years? It was before my lifetime that is for sure. In my arm chair GM opinion, I thought Holmgren was way off the mark last year when he moved Richards and Carter for more offensive help. Your blueline is aging and I think trading those one of those two for who knows.. shea weber? or some other stalwart defensive prospects or young players would have been a more prudent investment. Nobody coud predict a Chris Pronger fluke injury but seeing one or both Timmonen and Pronger get hurt isn't a shock at their age. Having a legacy plan in place might have been a smarter move. Just my two cents..
He didn't mover Richards and Carter for more offensive help, he moved Carter to create cap space to sign Bryzgalov and moved Richards because he knew that quite possibly Richards wouldn't have been to happy to continue playing in Philly with his best buddy not there anymore and the fact there was a division in the dressing room between the younger and older players. As a Flyer fan, I didn't want to see Richards go because of the type of player he is but then again it was Holmgren's fault for naming him captain at a young age. He didn't like being in the limelight of dealing with the Philly media on a daily basis. All you have to do is see the way he is now in LA, granted the media coverage for hockey is different in each city but Richards now can just go the rink and play hockey and not have to worry about answering questions about the team on a daily basis. Hindsight is 20/20 but should Holmgren have asked for Jack Johnson instead of Schenn or Simmonds, maybe but I don't consider Johnson in the same class of defenseman as a Weber or Pronger. Maybe Holmgren should make an offer sheet to P.K. Subban

Pelle31 is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 03:14 PM
  #713
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 44,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Why do you refuse to cooperate and show the anger I know you feel deep inside so I can spin my conspiracy theory on how Weber is going to want out after a year and force a trade for a crappy return like Nash did.

You are seriously hurting my game dude.


Yeah I forget how facts can often times be considered wet blankets.

TMI is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 03:30 PM
  #714
Haj
Registered User
 
Haj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1097 View Post
Its not quite anger issues, i truly think it's a mentality that goes with a lot of the teams in the Northeast.

If someone or something disrespects your team, it's like taking a shot at your family and you take it personal.

Ask any New York or Boston fan and they would probably understand where I am coming from because they are a lot like philly. Take a shot at those teams like the yankees/giants or Red sox/Bruins and most of thier fans take it personal. I am not talking about a fan ripping these teams on these boards either. No one should care about that. Call it whatever you will but what weber did to the preds in my eyes is disrespectful to "your" franchise.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that no one in the northeast corridor would say "no big deal, its just business, nothing personal"
How can you characterize what Weber did/didn't do without any knowledge of exactly what was said / how the offer sheet/trade negotiations actually played out ?

Here is what we know for sure:

1. Weber signed an offer sheet from Philadelphia
2. Nashville matched it

There is no disrespect involved its just business. Nashville would have traded Weber if they got the right package.

GMs run a business.

Players need to get paid.

Weber has spent almost his entire life working towards this moment, and who knows what type of contract he would get next year under the new CBA. He signed an offer sheet that guarantee's exactly what type of salary terms he wants for the rest of his career. It doesn't matter if it is from Philadelphia or from Nashville. He's probably fine with playing in both cities.

Haj is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 03:32 PM
  #715
Frank Drebin
Registered User
 
Frank Drebin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1097 View Post

If someone or something disrespects your team, it's like taking a shot at your family and you take it personal.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that no one in the northeast corridor would say "no big deal, its just business, nothing personal"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1097 View Post
But what I cant understand is the lack of resentment from preds fans. It is almost as if you guys are ok with what he did...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1097 View Post
I am just trying to understand why there isnt more back lash from the preds fan base. thats all...
I like you man...you're crazy, but I like you. Keep digging for those answers for those questions that are just so hard to answer.

I mean LA never forgave Doughty for holding out for more money.

Frank Drebin is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 03:50 PM
  #716
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 44,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
I like you man...you're crazy, but I like you. Keep digging for those answers for those questions that are just so hard to answer.

I mean LA never forgave Doughty for holding out for more money.
I think we've just run into a case of a person who was convinced that Weber was going to Philly, and now that it isn't going to happen he or she needs validation in the form of others admitting that Weber totally wanted to play in Philly and no where else. The best way for that to happen is if fans of the Preds are all pissed off at Weber for wanting to leave.

TMI is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 03:59 PM
  #717
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs
 
Brewsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: King County
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,098
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Man, why is there discussion still going on?

Weber signed an offer sheet, Nashville matched, let's move on.

Let's create those summer threads like "most smelliest NHL player" or "if you had to live in a fridge of a NHL player who would it be".

Brewsky is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 04:10 PM
  #718
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 9,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle31 View Post
He didn't mover Richards and Carter for more offensive help, he moved Carter to create cap space to sign Bryzgalov and moved Richards because he knew that quite possibly Richards wouldn't have been to happy to continue playing in Philly with his best buddy not there anymore and the fact there was a division in the dressing room between the younger and older players. As a Flyer fan, I didn't want to see Richards go because of the type of player he is but then again it was Holmgren's fault for naming him captain at a young age. He didn't like being in the limelight of dealing with the Philly media on a daily basis. All you have to do is see the way he is now in LA, granted the media coverage for hockey is different in each city but Richards now can just go the rink and play hockey and not have to worry about answering questions about the team on a daily basis. Hindsight is 20/20 but should Holmgren have asked for Jack Johnson instead of Schenn or Simmonds, maybe but I don't consider Johnson in the same class of defenseman as a Weber or Pronger. Maybe Holmgren should make an offer sheet to P.K. Subban
I actually mentioned the Jack Johnson scenario on your board a month or two back. He is a lesser player than Pronger/Weber but I think you'd be better off with him than one or two of the forwards they Flyers got.

But my point is Holmgren traded forwards for more forwards when he had an aging blueline. It doesn't matter why the two were moved. They are both forwards and in return the Flyers got more forwards which in my opinion, they didn't need. And I think that was pretty obvious going back to last year. Expecting two 35+ year olds to stay healthy is a big gamble. Like I said, the prudent move is to have a legacy plan in place for both. Nobody could predict Pronger's fluke injury but it isn't surprising when an older player gets hurt. It happens and more regularly than when they are younger. It is just the way it is.

Forget offer sheets, Holmgren should part with some of his prized forwards for defensive depth if he wants his team to win a Cup and while his multi millionaire goaltender the help he needs.

Buddy The Elf is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 04:34 PM
  #719
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,192
vCash: 500
It's a shame that fans that aren't as familiar with the sort of character and personality that Weber has will likely write off all of what he and Trotz are saying as "lip service"

But, judging by this conference all, Weber is pretty happy to be staying in Nashville, and hopes to be here once and for all. Also flat out denied he had anything to do with his agent's comments. "those were his words, not mine. I never said anything like that."

Preds still looking for another top 4 defenseman, and are also pitching hard to Doan. Trotz said that he, Weber, and Chris Mason all have good relationships\friendships with Doan, and all have been "selling" Nashville to him.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 04:41 PM
  #720
JR303
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
"if you had to live in a fridge of a NHL player who would it be".
Judging by the pic that's floating around, gotta be Buff's.

JR303 is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 04:44 PM
  #721
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 44,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
It's a shame that fans that aren't as familiar with the sort of character and personality that Weber has will likely write off all of what he and Trotz are saying as "lip service"

But, judging by this conference all, Weber is pretty happy to be staying in Nashville, and hopes to be here once and for all. Also flat out denied he had anything to do with his agent's comments. "those were his words, not mine. I never said anything like that."

Preds still looking for another top 4 defenseman, and are also pitching hard to Doan. Trotz said that he, Weber, and Chris Mason all have good relationships\friendships with Doan, and all have been "selling" Nashville to him.
Don't he (Doan) and Fisher have some sort of connection, too, or do people just assume that because they share the same fervent faith?

TMI is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 04:45 PM
  #722
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Don't he (Doan) and Fisher have some sort of connection, too, or do people just assume that because they share the same fervent faith?
yeah, both are jesus freaks. Fisher could probably recommend a few good churches.

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 04:49 PM
  #723
T-Funk
Registered User
 
T-Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,040
vCash: 500
Thought Weber was a lock for Vancouver.
Now he's gonna get the boos every time he plays there.

T-Funk is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 04:51 PM
  #724
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Thought Weber was a lock for Vancouver.
Now he's gonna get the boos every time he plays there.
to be honest, the only indication that was going to happen came from Vancouver fans\media...and when it came down to either Philly or Nashville...don't think some of us didn't think, "at least it's not Vancouver or Detroit," after the past few years of boasting from those two.

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 04:58 PM
  #725
T-Funk
Registered User
 
T-Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
to be honest, the only indication that was going to happen came from Vancouver fans\media...and when it came down to either Philly or Nashville...don't think some of us didn't think, "at least it's not Vancouver or Detroit," after the past few years of boasting from those two.
Oh I know
It's always a good feeling when you realize in the end that the player never really wanted to go to "team X ZOMG ITS A LOCK" in the first place.

T-Funk is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.