HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Thread III - Laughton all the way to the bank

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2012, 12:44 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyflyerfan1992 View Post
Wasn't in order. Had New York at the top, with Pitts/Philly/Boston in the tier below... then everyone else.
Fair enough.

And onto another topic:

I'm curious about that #6 battle even more now. It seems we're staying pat with this team for the most part (unless Doan signs). So what becomes of our defense?

Timonen - Schenn
Coburn - Grossmann
Meszaros - xxxxxxxx
Gervais - Lilja

xxxxxxxx = Gustafsson, Bourdon, Manning

That's going to be the thing to watch heading into camp.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Clyde Donovan

Would anyone be interested in getting Visnovsky if his trade gets voided with the Islanders? We could probably grab him for a draft pick from the Ducks.

Old
07-25-2012, 01:01 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
It's been said before, I'll reiterate it; here's hoping that the change of scenery will do Luke good. Maybe some added mojo of playing on the same team as his brother (and the impossibility of his brother undressing him on the ice) factors in, too.
He is going to have to come here and play well. It doesnt matter that his brother is on the team or not. he will probably under as much scrutiny here as he was in Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde Donovan View Post
Would anyone be interested in getting Visnovsky if his trade gets voided with the Islanders? We could probably grab him for a draft pick from the Ducks.
No. please God. No.

Old
07-25-2012, 01:05 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Any interest in Carlo Colaiacovo? Lots of injury question marks but could probably be signed for cheap and can move the puck. And his name sounds like Carle. Matt Carle.

Old
07-25-2012, 01:12 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
Any interest in Carlo Colaiacovo? Lots of injury question marks but could probably be signed for cheap and can move the puck. And his name sounds like Carle. Matt Carle.
hes made of glass.
pass.

Old
07-25-2012, 01:20 PM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Fair enough.

And onto another topic:

I'm curious about that #6 battle even more now. It seems we're staying pat with this team for the most part (unless Doan signs). So what becomes of our defense?

Timonen - Schenn
Coburn - Grossmann
Meszaros - xxxxxxxx
Gervais - Lilja

The #6 battle is going to be between Gustafsson and Gervais and maybe Bourdon if he is healthy.

Old
07-25-2012, 01:25 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelos View Post
The #6 battle is going to be between Gustafsson and Gervais and maybe Bourdon if he is healthy.
We have Lilja/Gervais/Gus battling it out for the 6 spot.
Cant count on Bourdon. If hes healthy I am not sure what happens. I guess they can send Gus back down(something I am against) because he doesnt have to go thru waivers. I am pretty sure Bourdon does. Could be wrong tho

Old
07-25-2012, 02:03 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

I hope Manning gets a fair shot at the 6th/7th, and Lauridsen as well. They both sounded very impressive at camp. Though at the same time, getting a chance to play under Terry Murray for another year or two could be invaluable to their defensive future.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:04 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde Donovan View Post
Wouldn't be my number 1 choice but he would definitely help replace what we lost in Carle.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I hope Manning gets a fair shot at the 6th/7th, and Lauridsen as well. They both sounded very impressive at camp. Though at the same time, getting a chance to play under Terry Murray for another year or two could be invaluable to their defensive future.
Between Manny, Bourdon, Gus and Lauridsen, I think a full season under Terry Murray would be tremendous. That said, open competition at camp is the onyl way to go, no preconceptions. You let the guy who earns it play. Pretty simple.

Old
07-25-2012, 03:17 PM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
We have Lilja/Gervais/Gus battling it out for the 6 spot.
Cant count on Bourdon. If hes healthy I am not sure what happens. I guess they can send Gus back down(something I am against) because he doesnt have to go thru waivers. I am pretty sure Bourdon does. Could be wrong tho
Bourdon doesnt even have a contract yet actually

Old
07-25-2012, 03:18 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
So this summer there have been a lot of talks that Giroux needs a top line winger with great goal scoring abilities to play with. A lot of people also proposed Voracek to take that spot, but as much as I like him, I don't think he would be a great fit because he's a playmaker, just like Giroux. We need someone to pot goals.

We looked at Rick Nash, we looked at Bobby Ryan, to hear that we would have to give our future stars, which is out of the question. What to do now?

Here's my take :

A lot of people want to see Schenn centering the 2nd line, and proposed to put Briere on the wing.

We also hope Briere can get back to his old self scoring 30+ goals... the guy is a goal scorer. Schenn is also more of a goal scorer than a playmaker.

What about putting Briere on the top line with Giroux? Don't they have great chemistry? They even lived together. They know eachother very well and I seriously think it could motivate Briere a lot. Doesn't Briere also have great chemistry with Hartnell? The HBL line used to be our best line. Why don't we use this chemistry and talent to play with Giroux? I seriously see this line as being lethal. He would be the perfect fit. Aren't we looking for someone we already have?

Voracek would also fit Schenn very well, since he's a playmaker and Schenn seems more like a goal scorer.

Thoughts?

Our offense could look like :

Hartnell - Giroux - Briere
Voracek - Schenn - Simmonds
Read - Couturier - Fedotenko
Wellwood - Talbot - Rinaldo

Old
07-25-2012, 03:21 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
So this summer there have been a lot of talks that Giroux needs a top line winger with great goal scoring abilities to play with. A lot of people also proposed Voracek to take that spot, but as much as I like him, I don't think he would be a great fit because he's a playmaker, just like Giroux. We need someone to pot goals.

We looked at Rick Nash, we looked at Bobby Ryan, to hear that we would have to give our future stars, which is out of the question. What to do now?

Here's my take :

A lot of people want to see Schenn centering the 2nd line, and proposed to put Briere on the wing.

We also hope Briere can get back to his old self scoring 30+ goals... the guy is a goal scorer. Schenn is also more of a goal scorer than a playmaker.

What about putting Briere on the top line with Giroux? Don't they have great chemistry? They even lived together. They know eachother very well and I seriously think it could motivate Briere a lot. Doesn't Briere also have great chemistry with Hartnell? The HBL line used to be our best line. Why don't we use this chemistry and talent to play with Giroux? I seriously see this line as being lethal. He would be the perfect fit. Aren't we looking for someone we already have?

Voracek would also fit Schenn very well, since he's a playmaker and Schenn seems more like a goal scorer.

Thoughts?

Our offense could look like :

Briere has just never played that well at wing--and I'm a bit wary about saddling Giroux and Hartnell with having to cover for the lack of an NHL-caliber player in their own end.

If we're going to play around this things, and we're wary of Voracek's finishing, I think I'd prefer to give Schenn a shot at G's wing over Briere.

Old
07-25-2012, 03:27 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelos View Post
Bourdon doesnt even have a contract yet actually
I wonder if Bourdon is looking to get a one-way to better his chances of an NHL job. Not that it really matters to Laviolette or Holmgren, but a one-way contract would be psychologically uplifting to a guy who seems to want to do anything to be/stay in the NHL.

Also to those questioning Manning, I think he's going to really shock some people by his readiness. We'll see what happens. I count him in the "big 3" of Gustafsson, Bourdon, and Manning. I throw Kessel, Lauridsen, and Gostibehere at a secondary tier at the moment (Yes, I'm high on Ghost).

Old
07-25-2012, 03:29 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
Voracek will almost assuredly be on Giroux's wing. Holmgren pretty much came out and promised it.

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Simmonds - Schenn - Briere
Wellwood - Couturier - Read
Rinaldo - Talbot - Fedotenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
If we're going to play around this things, and we're wary of Voracek's finishing, I think I'd prefer to give Schenn a shot at G's wing over Briere.
I'd rather put Read there than anyone honestly.

Hartnell - Giroux - Read
Voracek - Schenn - Briere
Simmonds - Couturier - Wellwood
Talbot - Holmstrom - Fedotenko
Rinaldo

That's my ideal lineup (though it won't happen) assuming we don't sign Doan.

Old
07-25-2012, 03:31 PM
YuioIklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Briere has just never played that well at wing--and I'm a bit wary about saddling Giroux and Hartnell with having to cover for the lack of an NHL-caliber player in their own end.

The most important forward in the defensive zone is the center, which was why Briere was a defensive liability, but on the wing, it would be less of an issue imo. And Jagr wasn't that great defensively either. And Schenn is not as offensively good as Briere yet, Briere used to be one of our bests offensive players (in 2010-11 he was imo) and still is in the playoffs. I think it would be worth the try.

Old
07-25-2012, 03:36 PM
YuioIklo

Quote:
Voracek will almost assuredly be on Giroux's wing. Holmgren pretty much came out and promised it.

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Simmonds - Schenn - Briere
Wellwood - Couturier - Read
Rinaldo - Talbot - Fedotenko

I'd rather put Read there than anyone honestly.

Hartnell - Giroux - Read
Voracek - Schenn - Briere
Simmonds - Couturier - Wellwood
Talbot - Holmstrom - Fedotenko
Rinaldo

That's my ideal lineup (though it won't happen) assuming we don't sign Doan.
Yeah, but it was more about the idea than what will actually happen. And Laviolette often tries things, so whatever the plan is, it can change.

Old
07-25-2012, 03:47 PM
djlethal08

Quote:
I wonder if Bourdon is looking to get a one-way to better his chances of an NHL job. Not that it really matters to Laviolette or Holmgren, but a one-way contract would be psychologically uplifting to a guy who seems to want to do anything to be/stay in the NHL.

Also to those questioning Manning, I think he's going to really shock some people by his readiness. We'll see what happens. I count him in the "big 3" of Gustafsson, Bourdon, and Manning. I throw Kessel, Lauridsen, and Gostibehere at a secondary tier at the moment (Yes, I'm high on Ghost).
Well Bourdon is no longer waiver-exempt, and I doubt he'd clear waivers. So he's going to be in the NHL this year, whether it's with the Flyers or someone else.

Old
07-25-2012, 03:48 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
I couldn't agree with you more on all points, except Kessel.

I honestly worry about Gus because of his size, taking longer to come into his own, where his positional play "smarts" has to adjust to the NHL. A guy of his stature has to learn to survive in the NHL. He made some mistakes, which are natural. He needs more ice time.

Bourdon's concussion has me a bit concerned.

Manning I'm very high on.

Also high on Ghost and Lauridsen. I saw Lauridsen at camp. He looked great (against prospects I know, but he was a force.)

Old
07-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Icedog2735

Quote:
Fair enough.

And onto another topic:

Timonen - Schenn
Coburn - Grossmann
Meszaros - xxxxxxxx
Gervais - Lilja

I would prefer to see Gus grab that spot. Although I feel I haven't seen enough from Manning yet, I just remember too many times MAB turned the puck over, couldn't break it out effectively, and was soft in the corners. Gus's size hurts him but I could see him as a possible replacement for Kimmo.

Old
07-25-2012, 03:55 PM
YuioIklo

About the 6th D spot, I think that Gervais will have it unless a young guy really impresses in camp. He's a capable 6th D.

Old
07-25-2012, 05:15 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

I know I should feel flattered as a Flyers' fan, but I just want one offseason where people aren't begging for our best young forwards for crap returns.

Richards
then
Carter
then
Giroux
then
vanRiemsdyk
then
Couturier
then
Schenn
now
Voracek

Old
07-25-2012, 06:49 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedog2735 View Post
I would prefer to see Gus grab that spot. Although I feel I haven't seen enough from Manning yet, I just remember too many times MAB turned the puck over, couldn't break it out effectively, and was soft in the corners. Gus's size hurts him but I could see him as a possible replacement for Kimmo.
Dude (MAB) was playing with a concussion for most of his stint. It was reckless on his part but it was a big part of why he looked wobbly out there. He was doing really well until his head was mushy. Timonen even praised his poise and said he would play a long time in this league..that is of course if he doesnt make stupid decisions out there to endanger his career and personal health...

Old
07-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Closing it down, making a new one in a moment.