HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NSH matches PHI offer sheet to Weber (14 years, $7.8M)

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Snotbubbles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
David Poile just told the story about how when they made the decision to match they decided to let Shea know before the media found out. Trotz, living 25 minutes away from Weber, was tasked with going to Shea's gym to tell him the news. Weber had already left the gym, so Trotz texted him telling him that they needed to talk. Weber said, "We aren't supposed to talk during this period." Trotz convinced him of the importance. When Weber was told he said "Great! Where are you now?". Trotz told him that he was in downtown Kelowna. Weber invited him to his house where he and his fiancee were. When Trotz got there they called Poile together, and Weber expressed his excitement to return.

So maybe he isn't so pissed off after all...
Here goes some quotes from Jeff Carter after getting traded to Columbus:

Quote:
"It's a fresh start, a new beginning," Carter said. "Columbus is a team that has been working its way up, building something here. They have a lot of young players that are really starting to come into the game."

Carter, who signed a long-term deal with Philadelphia and had become part of the fabric of that much-beloved franchise, was initially reluctant to comment on the trade to the media or even meet with Blue Jackets officials. But he said that was because he was in shock after signing that 11-year, $58 million contract in November with the Flyers, the club he broke into the NHL with in 2005.

After Howson, coach Scott Arniel and Nash visited him, though, he was satisfied with what we heard.

"When they left my house that day I was very, very excited," Carter said. "I'm trying to come in here and be a piece of the puzzle and turn things around and win some hockey games."
Just saying.

Old
07-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post

Just saying.
If he really wanted to play in Philly he would have signed a one year deal and reached UFA status in a year and signed there instead of signing a lifetime offer sheet he knew would likely be matched.

Just saying.

Old
07-25-2012, 04:49 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:

Just saying.
Grasping at straws this is getting amusing

Old
07-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Vitto79

looking at the NSH roster do they not need to sign another Dman or two?

Defensemen
# NAME HEIGHT WEIGHT DATE OF BIRTH AGE BIRTH PLACE
7 JONATHON BLUM 6' 1" 190 JAN 30, 1989 23 LONG BEACH, CA, USA
49 RYAN ELLIS 5' 10" 179 JAN 3, 1991 21 HAMILTON, ON, CAN
75 HAL GILL 6' 7" 241 APR 6, 1975 37 CONCORD, MA, USA
59 ROMAN JOSI 6' 2" 198 JUN 1, 1990 22 BERN, CHE
8 KEVIN KLEIN 6' 1" 200 DEC 13, 1984 27 KITCHENER, ON, CAN

EDIT, im an idiot, WEBER makes it 6,lol

Last edited by Vitto79: 07-25-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old
07-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

The quotes can be silly canned garbage and still not mean Weber is going to be a malcontent. I imagine his level satisfaction at the moment is somewhere between content and "Whoo! Money!" Would he have been happier if the Predators didn't match? We will never know because people are rarely ever honest in his business.

Old
07-25-2012, 05:13 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
looking at the NSH roster do they not need to sign another Dman or two?

Defensemen
# NAME HEIGHT WEIGHT DATE OF BIRTH AGE BIRTH PLACE
7 JONATHON BLUM 6' 1" 190 JAN 30, 1989 23 LONG BEACH, CA, USA
49 RYAN ELLIS 5' 10" 179 JAN 3, 1991 21 HAMILTON, ON, CAN
75 HAL GILL 6' 7" 241 APR 6, 1975 37 CONCORD, MA, USA
59 ROMAN JOSI 6' 2" 198 JUN 1, 1990 22 BERN, CHE
8 KEVIN KLEIN 6' 1" 200 DEC 13, 1984 27 KITCHENER, ON, CAN
Blum is a good one, but they are very young once you get past Weber, Klein, and Gill. I hear good things about Josi though.

Quote:

Just saying.

Quote:
"It's a fresh start, a new beginning," Carter said. "Columbus is a team that has been working its way up, building something here. They have a lot of young players that are really starting to come into the game."

Carter, who signed a long-term deal with Philadelphia and had become part of the fabric of that much-beloved franchise, was initially reluctant to comment on the trade to the media or even meet with Blue Jackets officials. But he said that was because he was in shock after signing that 11-year, $58 million contract in November with the Flyers, the club he broke into the NHL with in 2005.

After Howson, coach Scott Arniel and Nash visited him, though, he was satisfied with what we heard.

"When they left my house that day I was very, very excited," Carter said. "I'm trying to come in here and be a piece of the puzzle and turn things around and win some hockey games."
Turns out Carter was a big piece, just a different puzzle.

Old
07-25-2012, 05:14 PM
Novak Djokovic
HAWKS BANDWAGON!

Again, if Weber truly wanted to get out of Nashville forever, he would have waited a year and then signed with whoever he liked. Poile said before the offersheet that they were going to match if Shea signs with anyone, and he did. I don't think Weber was that naive in thinking that he was going to spend his career in Philly after he signed the offersheet.

Weber wanted the money. Period. I don't think it really mattered whether it was from NSH or PHI.

Old
07-25-2012, 05:16 PM
crt

The sense of entitlement some of the Flyers fans are displaying in this thread is hilarious.

Old
07-25-2012, 05:24 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
The quotes can be silly canned garbage and still not mean Weber is going to be a malcontent. I imagine his level satisfaction at the moment is somewhere between content and "Whoo! Money!" Would he have been happier if the Predators didn't match? We will never know because people are rarely ever honest in his business.
This. I know if I were him I'd be on the "Whoo! Money!" end of the spectrum.

Didn't like that when asked about his agents' shenanigans (aka unprofessional radio interviews), he was just like "Eh, I guess that's their feelings. I was never involved in that".

WTF? They're your employees, bro. Their job is to represent you. I find it hard to believe that you "weren't involved in that". And if you were truly not involved, then you should probably fire those clowns for running amok and making you look bad.

I mean, have there ever been more ridiculous agents ever?! Ever since Weber fired Meehan and hired these goofballs, negotiating with him has been a nightmare. I never liked those two from the moment they plastered their website full of misspellings and grammatical errors about Weber's accolades after he hired them.

Old
07-25-2012, 05:37 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
If he really wanted to play in Philly he would have signed a one year deal and reached UFA status in a year and signed there instead of signing a lifetime offer sheet he knew would likely be matched.

Just saying.
Seriously, you've been pushing this the whole time - isn't it pretty obvious why? It's not that difficult to grasp.

Would you potentially forfeit long term financial security (to the tune of tens of millions of dollars, which will likely have to come over several contracts, not just one), perhaps a career ending injury, or even the possibilty that you might not even *still* get to pick your team next year because the new CBA might not allow it?

Are all these things worth risking, if you have an offer in hand now, even with the possibilty of playing where you don't really wanna be?

People think so one-sidedly.

I'm not saying he does or doesn't want to play in Nashville or prefers Philly or whatever - but the signing of the offer sheet is not an indication of where he wants to play - he was HOPING he could have the security and play where he wanted to; understanding the chance of losing the latter portion.

However, the nature of the offersheet is big red flag - and while it's still interpretation - makes the point fairly clear. If you were prefectly content collecting gobs of money in one of two locations, and gauranteed to get that money regardless, would you make it really difficult for one side?

Would you risk it, say 50% of your earning potential in the next 10 years, even if it meant being somewhere you weren't 'thrilled' about?

I wouldn't.

Old
07-25-2012, 05:38 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by crt View Post
The sense of entitlement some of the Flyers fans are displaying in this thread is hilarious.
truth.

Old
07-25-2012, 05:43 PM
sina220*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
yeah, both are jesus freaks. Fisher could probably recommend a few good churches.
Just think, if the world didnt have ignorant people like you...

The pilgrims woulda never had a reason to settle what eventually became the greatest country in the history of the world. Great minds like Einstein and Freud would have never came. This country would be nothing without the fantastically intelligent people who came because they were fleeing people who think and talk like you.

So keep it up, there always needs to be an example of how not to be.

Old
07-25-2012, 05:58 PM
SgtJoseph

Credit to Homer for trying to add a little more icing to an already excellent Hockey club......Folks can say what they want, but Philly is already a top 3 club going into next season......Even with Bryz playing poorly for quite a spell last season Philly was a helluva team.....Just ask Pittsburgh ?

Old
07-25-2012, 06:03 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Credit to Homer for trying to add a little more icing to an already excellent Hockey club......Folks can say what they want, but Philly is certainly a top 3 club going into next season......Even with Bryz playing poorly for quite a spell last season Philly was a helluva team.....Just ask Pittsburgh ?
That is HIGHLY debatable. Rangers, Penguins, Canucks, Blackhawks, Blues, Kings, Bruins, plenty of reason to believe all of these teams (and maybe more) are every bit as good as, if not better than the Flyers.

Old
07-25-2012, 06:06 PM
sayheykid

Quote:
Folks can say what they want, but Philly is already a top 3 club going into next season.
Glad I can say what I want, because they aren't.

Old
07-25-2012, 06:16 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Credit to Homer for trying to add a little more icing to an already excellent Hockey club......Folks can say what they want, but Philly is already a top 3 club going into next season......Even with Bryz playing poorly for quite a spell last season Philly was a helluva team.....Just ask Pittsburgh ?
Top 3 in the Atlantic Division, maybe.

Old
07-25-2012, 06:24 PM
Pelle31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I actually mentioned the Jack Johnson scenario on your board a month or two back. He is a lesser player than Pronger/Weber but I think you'd be better off with him than one or two of the forwards they Flyers got.

But my point is Holmgren traded forwards for more forwards when he had an aging blueline. It doesn't matter why the two were moved. They are both forwards and in return the Flyers got more forwards which in my opinion, they didn't need. And I think that was pretty obvious going back to last year. Expecting two 35+ year olds to stay healthy is a big gamble. Like I said, the prudent move is to have a legacy plan in place for both. Nobody could predict Pronger's fluke injury but it isn't surprising when an older player gets hurt. It happens and more regularly than when they are younger. It is just the way it is.

Forget offer sheets, Holmgren should part with some of his prized forwards for defensive depth if he wants his team to win a Cup and while his multi millionaire goaltender the help he needs.
Didn't he do that this summer by trading JVR to Toronto for Luke Schenn. Granted he could use another defenseman to replace Timonen after this season, so maybe he'll try and trade for Bouwmeester who hasn't really panned out in Calgary. If it was me I would have part with Brayden Schenn but not Couturier as part of the package to get Weber but that's just me. I guess Holmgren decided he wouldn't part with either one, to me part of the reason regarding Schenn is due to the fact they just traded for his older brother and he probably thinks Brayden will have a breakout year this year. If I was Lavi, once Voracek is resigned I'd have him play with Schenn at centre and Simmonds on the other wing. I'd move Briere to right wing with Giroux and see how it goes for the start of the year. I don't think the Flyers defensemen will be all that bad considering they get a full year of Meszaros and Grossmann. Time will tell. The big thing for the Flyers this year is going to be Bryzgalov, I'm pretty sure both Holmgren and Snider told him before departing for the summer that next year they expect him to keep his mouth shut when it comes to the media.

Old
07-25-2012, 06:28 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
Seriously, you've been pushing this the whole time - isn't it pretty obvious why? It's not that difficult to grasp.

Would you potentially forfeit long term financial security (to the tune of tens of millions of dollars, which will likely have to come over several contracts, not just one), perhaps a career ending injury, or even the possibilty that you might not even *still* get to pick your team next year because the new CBA might not allow it?

Are all these things worth risking, if you have an offer in hand now, even with the possibilty of playing where you don't really wanna be?

People think so one-sidedly.

I'm not saying he does or doesn't want to play in Nashville or prefers Philly or whatever - but the signing of the offer sheet is not an indication of where he wants to play - he was HOPING he could have the security and play where he wanted to; understanding the chance of losing the latter portion.

However, the nature of the offersheet is big red flag - and while it's still interpretation - makes the point fairly clear. If you were prefectly content collecting gobs of money in one of two locations, and gauranteed to get that money regardless, would you make it really difficult for one side?

Would you risk it, say 50% of your earning potential in the next 10 years, even if it meant being somewhere you weren't 'thrilled' about?

I wouldn't.
You make it sound like Weber made the offer to Philly.

Philly made the offer and the only way they were going to make an offer is if they tried to make it tough for Nashville to match. It's not like they were going to go in and say here's the offer it's a little more money than Nashville but it's easy for them to match. Why would they do that?

The only way Weber's agent was going to get a higher offer was for someone like Philly to completely front load the contract.

It's all about the money, period.

Old
07-25-2012, 06:37 PM
SilverHaireDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sina220 View Post
Just think, if the world didnt have ignorant people like you...

The pilgrims woulda never had a reason to settle what eventually became the greatest country in the history of the world. Great minds like Einstein and Freud would have never came. This country would be nothing without the fantastically intelligent people who came because they were fleeing people who think and talk like you.

So keep it up, there always needs to be an example of how not to be.
Wonderful fiction sir, neither Freud or Einstein are from the United states, they were in fact the descendants of the people the Pilgrims left Europe to escape from.

Freud was Austrian and Einstein was German.

Good for Nashville's fans glad to see their ownership step up to the plate like this and show a big market team that they won't be intimidated or bullied.

Poile should send a thank you letter to Holmgren for giving him exactly what he wanted in regards to a contract with Weber.

Maybe not in structure of how the money will get paid out but certainly in length and cap hit.

Old
07-25-2012, 07:12 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
Wonderful fiction sir, neither Freud or Einstein are from the United states, they were in fact the descendants of the people the Pilgrims left Europe to escape from.

Freud was Austrian and Einstein was German.

Good for Nashville's fans glad to see their ownership step up to the plate like this and show a big market team that they won't be intimidated or bullied.

Poile should send a thank you letter to Holmgren for giving him exactly what he wanted in regards to a contract with Weber.

Maybe not in structure of how the money will get paid out but certainly in length and cap hit.

Einstein fled to the United States and died here. Freud fled to the UK and died there.

Old
07-25-2012, 07:24 PM
gordie

Quote:
I'd rather ask New Jersey.

Old
07-25-2012, 08:03 PM
ayshplaysh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Top 3 in the Atlantic Division, maybe.
Well considering top 3 atlantic will probably = top 3 eastern confrence again, that's not too far off I'd say.

Old
07-25-2012, 08:10 PM
kolider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playerwinner View Post
He signed a contract that Philly thought Nashville wouldnt be able to match, its kind of obvious he did it with the intentions of getting out of Nashville. Your not going to sign a offer sheet with a team you will love to play with the rest of your life that will force them to pay you $26 million in the first year if there isnt even a season.
This isn't rocket science. If Shea didn't want to play in Nashville the rest of his career he simply signs a 1 year deal and gets it over with. Signing an offer sheet for 14 years is the exact opposite thing you do if you want out of Nashville.

Assuming your team won't match is ridiculous. They stated they would match any offer - and they did exactly that. Shocking, I know.

Old
07-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Ciccio1980

This whole situation was orchestrated by his agent to get a big contract not because he wanted to play for the flyers infact he probably would rather play in nashville

Old
07-25-2012, 08:19 PM
FireEverybody*

Well I guess that "0% chance Preds match" was ********.

Closed Thread