HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

What the flyers do next???

Old
07-25-2012, 04:09 PM
Broad Street Elite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozgalov View Post
Okay so Bill Meltzer just started tweeting about how the Flyers should take a stab at Zach Bogosian. That is something I would have never thought of. He made a lot of great points about how him and L. Schenn were both rushed into the league at 18 for their respective teams. He talked about how at 22 Shea Weber only had 28 GP in the NHL and Bogosian has 264 (trying to remember the exact number). How Chris Prongers first few years in the NHL he was called a bust and it takes time to develop.

My Questions are:

1) Do the Jets even think about trading Bogosian? I haven't heard rumors, but I know he hasn't worked out the way they wish he would.

2) What do you think about the possibility and what would we have to give up?

After looking into it.. I think it would be awesome. Having him and Schenn both have a new place to play and a fresh start. One of them is bound to become the Dman they were originally slated to become. It gives the D core more competition within to become better and younger. Bogosian was a #3 overall pick by the Thrashers and was looked at as their answer on D at the age of 18. Schenn was the #5 pick for Toronto and was thrown right on the team with the crazy pressure of Toronto. Fresh starts for both of these guys could prove to be HUGE in their development.

What say ye?
Doubtful that the Jets even consider moving him and I doubt that even a voracek + mez + picks. changes their mind. He really turned the corner last season.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar Ping View Post
Jesus christ why does everyone want to get rid of Voracek???

Don't you realize how valuable someone like that is?? I hope we keep him for a long time even if he doesn't develop into a 75 pt getter. This guy screams devotion and hard work and raw talent.

As Cartman from South Park would say..... "F you guys, I'm going home..."
This is a bit silly, isn't it?

I don't think I've seen a single poster who "wants" to get rid of Jake--but there's a general recognition that, among the young forwards on the team (Giroux, Couturier, Schenn, Simmonds, Read, Voracek, etc.), he has the best combination of value and replaceability.

I'm wary of trading him now that JVR is gone, but I wouldn't put him off limits either, particularly if it is in a trade for either 1) a young, top-pairing defenseman, or 2) a young upgrade at wing.

I think that's closer to the dominant attitude that what you suggest.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:14 PM
djlethal08

I would try to get Jamie McBain from Carolina. The Flyers need to get a PMD and they absolutely will not give up Couturier or Schenn to get it. McBain is a good young defender who still has work to do on his game, and Carolina has an abundance of PMD. Maybe something like Read + MAB for McBain + ?.

djlethal08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:18 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlethal08 View Post
I would try to get Jamie McBain from Carolina. The Flyers need to get a PMD and they absolutely will not give up Couturier or Schenn to get it. McBain is a good young defender who still has work to do on his game, and Carolina has an abundance of PMD. Maybe something like Read + MAB for McBain + ?.
McBain would be a real solid fit here. I know there was talk at one time of Carolina putting McBain on the block, but I think since Muller took over as head coach, they've pulled McBain off because he's a favourite of Muller's.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:24 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Michal Rozsival would be a good fit and a veteran this young Flyers D needs.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:32 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Doubtful that the Jets even consider moving him and I doubt that even a voracek + mez + picks. changes their mind. He really turned the corner last season.
The odds of trading for a top pairing Dman or young potential top pairing dman now are slim. Any team that trades one now is saying they don't expect to compete unless they are getting overpayment in return (Coots or Schenn +).

The Flyers are better signing a FA forward (Doan, Semin, Arnott, Moore) and standing pat until the deadline when some teams are out of it or need to move salary for cap space.

I think guys like JBo, Boyle, Enstrom or Yandle may be available without overpaying.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:35 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
A RHD too. Good size, not physical but could allow Flyers to move a dman at the deadline if needed.

Old
07-25-2012, 04:50 PM
McNasty

I have a hard time envisioning Yandle being moved to the Flyers without giving up Schenn or Couturier. Bouwmeester might be the best option but they would have to take Mez back just for the cap considerations. I'm not sure how much I would add for an underachieving Bouwmeester either.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Really hope Gus gets a legit shot this year, last year he showed he could be a solid 3rd pairing Dman who could eat 15 mins a night if needs be and not make mistakes.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 05:31 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
A RHD too. Good size, not physical but could allow Flyers to move a dman at the deadline if needed.
Yeah, I'd be fine with this too. Rozsival is not the player he once was but should still be solid enough to ably play in our top 6 and provide some stability. His last contract had a $5M AAV, which was based on an impressive 2007-2008 season with the Rangers. I'd say he's now more of a $3-3.5M AAV player.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 05:48 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
^ this. Honestly, all this doom and gloom is completely over blown. As well, Laviolette is pretty damned good coach, so I'm pretty sure that he is going to change the game plan with regards to the D. The biggest issue will be getting the forwards to play a little tighter defensively, which I don't see as being a problem either. If they played like they did during the 2010 Stanley Cup run, they're going to be perfectly fine.
I agree with you on this ! If it ain't broke don't fix it. This club is not NEARLY as lacking as some on here seem to suggest....

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 05:55 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
I agree with you on this ! If it ain't broke don't fix it. This club is not NEARLY as lacking as some on here seem to suggest....
Eh, we dont have a #1 defender which every team the past years have had. Not one had a bunch of 2-3s and won it.

The make or break this season is hoping that the rookies dont have a bad sophomore season, which half of the sophomore players usually do....

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 06:11 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Eh, we dont have a #1 defender which every team the past years have had. Not one had a bunch of 2-3s and won it.

The make or break this season is hoping that the rookies dont have a bad sophomore season, which half of the sophomore players usually do....
Takes a TON of luck to win a cup ......Philly could get Weber, then 1 week into the season he could go down with a serious injury etc....The overall # 1 defender concept too me is a bit over rated. Certainly its great having a strong pairing logging the most minutes etc, But i though Grossman and Coby looked pretty solid before injuries etc...Nashville had Weber and Suter and got knocked out of the playoffs ?

Old
07-25-2012, 06:13 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Realistically, who was the #1 for LA? Doughty or Mitchell?????

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 06:19 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
Good point, and who was the # ! on the old Flyers cup teams ? Van Impe ? Ashbee ? Dupont ? Watson ?............The whole # 1 thing is probably something contrived by agents to make more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$ ?

Old
07-25-2012, 06:19 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Takes a TON of luck to win a cup ......Philly could get Weber, then 1 week into the season he could go down with a serious injury etc....The overall # 1 defender concept too me is a bit over rated. Certainly its great having a strong pairing logging the most minutes etc, But i though Grossman and Coby looked pretty solid before injuries etc...Nashville had Weber and Suter and got knocked out of the playoffs ?
But see try to find the last time a team won the cup and didnt have a #1 guy who is considered very good, logs tons of minutes and plays in all assets? The only one I could find the last 10 years is the Hurricanes who didnt have a #1. 9 other wins featured a team with a true #1 defender.

The reason why Coburn, Grossmann, Meszaros etc etc are not considered number 1 defenders is that they are too inconsistent. And honestly, you can tell the difference between the #1 guys and #2-4 guys.

Quote:
Mitchell was really good. I would still consider Doughty a #1 though.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 06:26 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
I think you're selling Doughty short, he was fantastic in the playoffs. He wasn't quite as good as he was in the Olympics, but he was every bit of a number one. The rest of the defensemen filled in very nicely behind him as well.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 07:25 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

I remember suggesting a short deal for Michal Rozsival, with a slight overpayment because of shortness of years (money will be freed for the big G/Schenn/Cooter year)--- and got flak for it. Now it doesn't seem so bad, does it?

He is also a RH-S PMD, which the Flyers lost when Carle left.

Best part about him is that he doesn't cost assets.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 07:45 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
But see try to find the last time a team won the cup and didnt have a #1 guy who is considered very good, logs tons of minutes and plays in all assets? The only one I could find the last 10 years is the Hurricanes who didnt have a #1. 9 other wins featured a team with a true #1 defender.

The reason why Coburn, Grossmann, Meszaros etc etc are not considered number 1 defenders is that they are too inconsistent. And honestly, you can tell the difference between the #1 guys and #2-4 guys.

Mitchell was really good. I would still consider Doughty a #1 though.
Your points are well taken......Perhaps with Bryz now a little more acclimated he will be our # 1 ?

Old
07-25-2012, 07:50 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
I have a hard time envisioning Yandle being moved to the Flyers without giving up Schenn or Couturier. Bouwmeester might be the best option but they would have to take Mez back just for the cap considerations. I'm not sure how much I would add for an underachieving Bouwmeester either.
when it comes to yandle, who's schenn?

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:14 PM
CTU2fan

Quote:
The odds of trading for a top pairing Dman or young potential top pairing dman now are slim. Any team that trades one now is saying they don't expect to compete unless they are getting overpayment in return (Coots or Schenn +).

The Flyers are better signing a FA forward (Doan, Semin, Arnott, Moore) and standing pat until the deadline when some teams are out of it or need to move salary for cap space.

I think guys like JBo, Boyle, Enstrom or Yandle may be available without overpaying.
Depends on what you consider an overpay. As much as we love Couts around here, Couts for Yandle isn't an overpay. Couts for Bogosian isn't either. I'm not saying the Flyers should deal Couts for either of those guys, but if they did nobody would be saying "Homer got hosed". If you're lucky you can get one of those guys for B.Schenn+.

I wondered about JBo but in the thread I made in the trade forum the Calgary folks were pretty much opposed to moving him at all. I'd like Enstrom, I'd much rather get a PMD than a real defensive banger at this point, with the guys we have. For Tobi a package built around Jake is probably fair, but I don't really see a fit since Winnipeg is really looking for a C.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:51 PM
ilovetheflyers8

[Deleted by me]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Bill Meltzer was speculating about it a couple of weeks ago in his blog.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
You guys are lucky, most people seem to be forgetting that last year was supposed to be a rebuilding year for you guys. Instead of struggling you were able to rebuild, with an influx of youth and still remain a contender.

Why not keep the process going and inquire to Columbus about a guy like Erixon? I'd be willing to bet he could be had for Draft picks, and he could develope and be paired with Luke Schenn for years to come.

While missing out on Weber and Suter must sting, you guys have the Luxury of being a contender, and not needing to go all in. Not signing Weber or Suter could be a blessing in disguise when it comes time to resign your youth.
This is an interesting idea, but I think the team would have to give a pretty decent player or prospect to get Erixon.

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 07-25-2012 at 10:06 PM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:26 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
Depends on what you consider an overpay. As much as we love Couts around here, Couts for Yandle isn't an overpay. Couts for Bogosian isn't either. I'm not saying the Flyers should deal Couts for either of those guys, but if they did nobody would be saying "Homer got hosed". If you're lucky you can get one of those guys for B.Schenn+.

I wondered about JBo but in the thread I made in the trade forum the Calgary folks were pretty much opposed to moving him at all. I'd like Enstrom, I'd much rather get a PMD than a real defensive banger at this point, with the guys we have. For Tobi a package built around Jake is probably fair, but I don't really see a fit since Winnipeg is really looking for a C.
Yeah but if Homer wasn't willing to move them for Weber I doubt he moves them for Bogo or Yandle. Also, the fact that Yandle doesn't play on the Yotes PK worries me a bit.

I think they really need to see how L Schenn plays before moving B. Schenn or Coots. People seem to forget that Schenn came into the league with just as much potential as Bogo and if either reaches that potential you are looking at a solid #1 or atleast #2 dmen.

Old
07-25-2012, 10:26 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
[Deleted by me]

Thanks.

This is an interesting idea, but I think the team would have to give a pretty decent player or prospect to get Erixon.
Agreed, I believe Erixon was the prize piece in that trade for CLB.

Old
07-26-2012, 01:07 AM
CTU2fan

Quote:
Yeah but if Homer wasn't willing to move them for Weber I doubt he moves them for Bogo or Yandle. Also, the fact that Yandle doesn't play on the Yotes PK worries me a bit.

I think they really need to see how L Schenn plays before moving B. Schenn or Coots. People seem to forget that Schenn came into the league with just as much potential as Bogo and if either reaches that potential you are looking at a solid #1 or atleast #2 dmen.
I agree, I wouldn't more those guys for Yandle or Bogo either, not only because I don't want to move them, but also because I think it would take Schenn+ or even Couts+ to get a Yandle or a Bogo. While neither is as good as Weber they're both cheaper/younger so in some ways they're more valuable. And agreed on L.Schenn too. As hockey-mad as we Flyers fans are it's a whole other level in Toronto; hopefully getting out of TO and into a situation where the spotlight is shining brighter on other guys (Giroux, Bryz, even Couts) and where he's got some quality veteran D to work with he can become the player we hope he can be.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote