HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Aurora, CO Movie Theater Shooting

Old
07-24-2012, 12:31 PM
Foppa Frossa

vCash: 50
Gun sales are up ~40% since Friday.

I think everyone should be allowed to carry around briefcase nukes. It is the only way to be sure that we are protected against evil-doers. Second Amendment, amirite?

Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:01 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa Frossa View Post
Gun sales are up ~40% since Friday.

I think everyone should be allowed to carry around briefcase nukes. It is the only way to be sure that we are protected against evil-doers. Second Amendment, amirite?
People think to protect against people with guns is to buy more guns? Just a matter of time before we start hearing more cases like Treyvon Martin/George Zimmerman...

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Sgarbossy

A reported average of 18 US veterans commit suicide daily. Thats 150% the amount of people that were murdered in that theatre. Those are simply suicides, and that number has finally overtaken the amount of US military killed every year from hostile attacks during deployment.

If our rights as US citizens are even remotely inhibited because of this one guy killing 12 people with firearms, all of those military folks who have given (or taken) their lives will have had their sacrifices forever tarnished. For shame that we as a country can kowtow to fear based reaction and voluntarily strip ourselves of our freedoms as declared by the Constitution.

Sgarbossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:10 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Christian Bale visited with victims of the Aurora Shooting today at the hospital...what an incredibly classy thing to do, classy because he called ahead and said he wanted to come, and asked that the media not be notified ahead of time, that he just wanted to visit with the victims.

http://www.denverpost.com/theatersho...ctims-shooting

Warner Bros. confirmed that Bale was there on his own accord, not on behalf of Warner Brothers.

Reading this just brought tears to my eyes, again, I'm not a crier, but it's obviously an exceptionally generous gesture to do all of this, and we KNOW it's not for publicity because he didn't notify any media ahead of time.

RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:16 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

+1 respect for him.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:56 PM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Christian Bale visited with victims of the Aurora Shooting today at the hospital...what an incredibly classy thing to do, classy because he called ahead and said he wanted to come, and asked that the media not be notified ahead of time, that he just wanted to visit with the victims.

http://www.denverpost.com/theatersho...ctims-shooting

Warner Bros. confirmed that Bale was there on his own accord, not on behalf of Warner Brothers.

Reading this just brought tears to my eyes, again, I'm not a crier, but it's obviously an exceptionally generous gesture to do all of this, and we KNOW it's not for publicity because he didn't notify any media ahead of time.
I saw that on Twiiter... been following Denver post for a long time. I always like Colorado since the Avs moved there. I would love to visit some day.

+ 2 respect for him for doing this. He was there for 2.5 hours, spending 10 minutes with every victim... then wanting to meeting the police, EMS, hospital medical staff who helped them.

It's not how they died that made them heroes, it's how they lived, putting others safety 1st, each & every day. Thanks Toronto police for keeping us safe. -RIP Sgt. Ryan Russell, Const. Garrett Styles.
LeafsGuru93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
+1 for Christian Bale

-1 for the idiots who took the initial idea of Bale showing up and accentuated it by saying he should show up in a Batman costume. The original idea (what happened today) was a great idea by someone.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:11 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Classy move and certainly uplifting for the victims who admire him and love his movies.

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:30 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgarbossy View Post
A reported average of 18 US veterans commit suicide daily. Thats 150% the amount of people that were murdered in that theatre. Those are simply suicides, and that number has finally overtaken the amount of US military killed every year from hostile attacks during deployment.

If our rights as US citizens are even remotely inhibited because of this one guy killing 12 people with firearms, all of those military folks who have given (or taken) their lives will have had their sacrifices forever tarnished. For shame that we as a country can kowtow to fear based reaction and voluntarily strip ourselves of our freedoms as declared by the Constitution.
Suicide and homicide are different animals altogether. I would think the fear that a suicide induces is far less than that of a random homicide, particularly because suicide is the taking of one's own life, not the take of another person or people's lives.

And if depression and suicides are so rampant in our military, what does that say about human nature when it comes to war and conflict? Most people are really not cut out to hurting or killing others. We need a change in society to help prevent more of the depression and mental health issues in veterans. We also need a change in the way that people can get access to mental health care.

Old
07-25-2012, 10:09 AM
Sgarbossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
Suicide and homicide are different animals altogether. I would think the fear that a suicide induces is far less than that of a random homicide, particularly because suicide is the taking of one's own life, not the take of another person or people's lives.

And if depression and suicides are so rampant in our military, what does that say about human nature when it comes to war and conflict? Most people are really not cut out to hurting or killing others. We need a change in society to help prevent more of the depression and mental health issues in veterans. We also need a change in the way that people can get access to mental health care.
You are 100% correct. I think the TLDR version of my post is this: This is not a gun control issue, this is a mental health care issue.

Old
07-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Foppa Frossa

Our rights under the second amendment states that a well-regulated militia has the right to bear arms.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Duskog
Smugnorance is bliss

Quote:
Our rights under the second amendment states that a well-regulated militia has the right to bear arms.
You should read Jason Alexander's blog on this. Basically gets at the idea that millions of citizens arming themselves doesn't constitute "a well-regulated militia". Not saying you'll agree with it all, but it's an interesting perspective.

Being that you're from Aurora I obviously don't mean to offend by referring you to that post or implying I agree with everything therein... it's understandable that right now, Americans want to feel safer, but in the grand picture I think he's got good points about why that's sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Duskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:24 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

He apparently warned someone this was going to happen, but the message never got delivered/opened...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/25...age-mailed-to/

Quote:
James Holmes, the accused gunman in last Friday's midnight movie massacre in Colorado, mailed a notebook "full of details about how he was going to kill people" to a University of Colorado psychiatrist before the attack, but the parcel sat unopened in a mailroom for as long as a week before its discovery Monday, a law enforcement source told FoxNews.com.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:52 PM
Adama0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
He apparently warned someone this was going to happen, but the message never got delivered/opened...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/25...age-mailed-to/
Meh, that happens all the time. Can't get on someone's ass about not opening mail.

What's more disturbing is the mother that more or less was certain that he was gonna do something like this.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 02:08 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
I read that story on Yahoo News...doesn't it just strike you a little bit odd, based on how they worded it in the article, that the Psychiatrist contacted the police about a package he BELIEVED to be from the man in question, but wasn't, but a subsequent search of the Mail Room turns this up?

RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 02:11 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Would the KKK qualify as a well regulated militia? Or other groups similar to them? I'm sure there are other radical groups out there like this, as well. Have there been any major issues from things like this?

Guns are a scary thing. Friends having a concealed weapon doesn't make me feel any better about 'protecting' me. I mean, if a trained officer has trouble handling guns properly, I'm even more dubious that a normal person could handle a gun as well in a high pressure situation (like the shooting on Friday).

Old
07-25-2012, 02:21 PM
niwotsblessing

Quote:
Would the KKK qualify as a well regulated militia? Or other groups similar to them? I'm sure there are other radical groups out there like this, as well. Have there been any major issues from things like this?

Guns are a scary thing. Friends having a concealed weapon doesn't make me feel any better about 'protecting' me. I mean, if a trained officer has trouble handling guns properly, I'm even more dubious that a normal person could handle a gun as well in a high pressure situation (like the shooting on Friday).
The KKK is a terrorist organization, not a well-regulated militia. That goes for every random group of Bubba's that proclaim themselves a "militia."

niwotsblessing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Foppa Frossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskog View Post
You should read Jason Alexander's blog on this. Basically gets at the idea that millions of citizens arming themselves doesn't constitute "a well-regulated militia". Not saying you'll agree with it all, but it's an interesting perspective.

Being that you're from Aurora I obviously don't mean to offend by referring you to that post or implying I agree with everything therein... it's understandable that right now, Americans want to feel safer, but in the grand picture I think he's got good points about why that's sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Yeah, I'm not in favor of people having assault rifles. They are not for defending yourself, they are for killing as many people as you can as quickly as possible. My post should've emphasized the militias part.

Old
07-25-2012, 04:50 PM
Bonzai12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
What's more disturbing is the mother that more or less was certain that he was gonna do something like this.
Her attorney has since clarified those statements, most likely to protect the mother from any possible charges or civil suits.

The next 6 months will have the defense team making the suspect look as crazy as freaking possible and disconnected from society.

Old
07-25-2012, 05:59 PM
Adama0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Her attorney has since clarified those statements, most likely to protect the mother from any possible charges or civil suits.

The next 6 months will have the defense team making the suspect look as crazy as freaking possible and disconnected from society.
Apparently he was a psych/neuro major. Dick.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 06:04 PM
Duskog
Smugnorance is bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post

situations like these are where I don't understand how defense lawyers sleep at night. Jesus, how could you possibly try and defend what he's totally, certainly, completely responsible for?

Duskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Sgarbossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
Apparently he was a psych/neuro major. Dick.
That storyline is somewhat intriguing to me. Either he was truly a brilliant academic mind (as according to the UCR chancellor Tim White and his honor status) who can provide some sort of delusional manifesto, or he couldnt cut it as a PhD student. Actually, there are quite a few other scenarios that could play out...some of which might be compelling for post-event analysis.

It may be macabre, but I think from a psychological standpoint spree and serial killers are fascinating.

Old
07-25-2012, 06:40 PM
Bonzai12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskog View Post
situations like these are where I don't understand how defense lawyers sleep at night. Jesus, how could you possibly try and defend what he's totally, certainly, completely responsible for?
It's a public defender so I don't know that they really have much of a choice

Old
07-25-2012, 07:09 PM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

Quote:

You're spot-on with all of this, well said.

madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 06:05 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwotsblessing View Post
The KKK is a terrorist organization, not a well-regulated militia. That goes for every random group of Bubba's that proclaim themselves a "militia."
Hey now, that's not very nice...

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote