Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Am I missing something?

Old
07-25-2012, 01:31 PM
sharks104

vCash: 500
Am I missing something?

From an outsiders perspective I look at Bouwmeester and I don't see why this guy is worth a 4 million dollar contract, let alone a 6.6 million dollar deal. What am I missing. I don't see many Calgary games, so I am going strictly off of the stat sheet. Is there some crazy intangible he brings to make him worth the money?

sharks104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:42 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks104 View Post
From an outsiders perspective I look at Bouwmeester and I don't see why this guy is worth a 4 million dollar contract, let alone a 6.6 million dollar deal. What am I missing. I don't see many Calgary games, so I am going strictly off of the stat sheet. Is there some crazy intangible he brings to make him worth the money?
logs huge minutes and is solid defensively. Regardless of his +/-. He's defensive partner for most of the year was Butler, who IMO is a fringe top 4 guy.

Bouwmeester is not a player you look at to be your #1 guy on the backend. But he is a good supporting piece as a #2 on a top pairing.

I'd say he's worth 5-5.5 million on the open market.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:55 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

vCash: 50
Quote:
There's more to hockey than the stat sheet. He's a mobile defenseman who can log 25+ minutes a night. Strong defensively, and still capable of moving the puck. He's not worth the 7 mil, but the fact is there would have been about 25+ other teams going after him that year in free agency. Someone was gonna give him that money.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
There's more to hockey than the stat sheet. He's a mobile defenseman who can log 25+ minutes a night. Strong defensively, and still capable of moving the puck. He's not worth the 7 mil, but the fact is there would have been about 25+ other teams going after him that year in free agency. Someone was gonna give him that money.
That year he was reguarded as the top defesman available. Sutter was originally herolded for bringing him in. Jaybo has not lived up to the hype or to his contract. However him at 6.6 at time was deemed a very good contract.
Turns out yes he is overpaid, but honestly not by a whole lot. He is dependable and does bring a fair bit of expereince (both NHL and international).
For teams looking for a top pairing guy or to get to the cap floor he is the man they should target.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Ashasx

I think he'd get the exact same cap hit had he been a UFA this year.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:00 PM
scoringmachine

Too quickly answer your question JayBo was the top UFA on the market the year Calgary signed him. Every team would have grossly over paid for him. Just look at this price Philly put on Weber. Philly was willing to over pay for a guy who could turn out to be a good for two or three years then bust. When people started talking how great a player someone is one team will vastly over pay for that player.

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:03 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Am I missing something?
A brain

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:25 PM
Volica

Wait, someone is judging a player simply based off his stats he got off the internet! Can't be! And on a sports forum! I can't believe it.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:34 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
Wait, someone is judging a player simply based off his stats he got off the internet! Can't be! And on a sports forum! I can't believe it.
Ryder Halak 2nd.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:36 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
Ryder Halak 2nd.
Whoa whoa whoa, its not like we are trading The Anton here. Realistic offers only.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 06:32 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
top 10 hardest minutes in the league, 3rd in overall time on ice, 5th in most SH time on ice was a big reason we were 9th in pk while missing several of our best pker's for long stretches (Glencross, Tanguay, Gio), all of this while being misused as a defensive defenseman and not allowed to lead the rush or take chances.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote