HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Mike Sauer out with concussion (1/18: Still "month-to-month")

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2012, 05:26 PM
The Mouth

vCash: 500
I listened tot he whole interview and this is great news for Sauer and for us fans.

Did anyone else get the feeling from Maloney that he believes the Rangers overachieved last season and may have jump the gun with parting with some of the youth that we have devolved or are developing to get Nash?

Also i think he set a record for "with that being said" in an interview.

Thoughts ?

Old
07-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Excellent news.

The best possible news anyone could've predicted.

Old
07-25-2012, 05:55 PM
BrianBoyle
↓ Perfection ↓

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
Did anyone else get the feeling from Maloney that he believes the Rangers overachieved last season and may have jump the gun with parting with some of the youth that we have devolved or are developing to get Nash?
Yeah, I agree. He didn't seem too enthusiastic about the Rangers next season. Seems like he thinks they're a 4-5 seed more than a 1 seed.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
Old
07-25-2012, 05:56 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
I listened tot he whole interview and this is great news for Sauer and for us fans.

Thoughts ?
Maloney also referred to Dubinsky and Anisimov as "servicable" players.

Old
07-25-2012, 06:03 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

There is a small difference between finishing in the top 3 and 4-5. Pittsburgh didn't get better. Sutter is not Staal. Philly is the same team. Boston is the same team. The Rangers young players have a tremendous amount of room left to grow. Henrik is the best goalie in the world.

Old
07-25-2012, 06:14 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
There is a small difference between finishing in the top 3 and 4-5. Pittsburgh didn't get better. Sutter is not Staal. Philly is the same team. Boston is the same team. The Rangers young players have a tremendous amount of room left to grow. Henrik is the best goalie in the world.
Not to sound like a complete Ranger homer, but, seriously, what team in the East has really improved this season? Carolina? I know more teams will allow their prospects to play but those prospects are unproven.

Old
07-25-2012, 07:00 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Dont you think sather not going after more defensive depth might mean he is under the impression sauer will be able to play?

Old
07-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
Dont you think sather not going after more defensive depth might mean he is under the impression sauer will be able to play?
It's probably a combination of that and the ridiculous market for defensmen right now. The contracts Wideman, Carle, and others got are absurd. I still think picking up Rozsival on a one year deal to fill out the third pairing would be a good deal.

Old
07-25-2012, 07:10 PM
GregSirico

What is the latest on Sauer?

Old
07-25-2012, 07:11 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post

I think its very important right now to lock up Stralman. We have 13 million in cap room so to me this is not the time to low ball the guy. There is no need for this arbitration process as I doubt Stralman is asking for a lot of money here. He probably just wants a little raise as he has been making under $1 million for most of his NHL career(except for 1 season).

Even if Sauer returns, you will always have injuries. As we saw in the playoffs last season, having one key Dman like Sauer out can be devastating. Then your top D have to play bigger minutes and it wears them out.

Also, without Stralman we have Bickel as our #6 and as we saw in the playoffs, he is not very good even in that limited role. Now that Erixon is gone we dont exactly have a ton of NHL ready defensemen in the AHL.

I would like to see Stralman signed for more than 1 season also. If they can get him for similar to what Fayne got ($1.3) then locking him up for 2 or 3 seasons will give us a cheap and very useful defenseman who plays #5 but can play in top 4 when needed.

Has there been any news on his arbitration situation? I see a lot of other players settle prior to arbitration...it would be good to go that route.

Old
07-25-2012, 07:15 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I'd argue Philly got a bit weaker... Losing Jagr, JVR, Carle.... Sure they added Luke Schenn but I was never really impressed much with his game anyway.

Old
07-25-2012, 07:15 PM
XLJ

Yeah, Maloney didn't seem very enthusiastic about the Nash deal...especially when you consider he works for the team.

That is good news about Sauer. Maybe, he comes back by mid season.

Old
07-25-2012, 07:16 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
What is the latest on Sauer?
Read back one page lol.

Old
07-25-2012, 07:19 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:

Thoughts ?
Yes, he clearly felt (as did most of us I think) that the team was a little bit ahead of itself last year making it to the final 4. So I would say now, a year later, and a little bit better, we are a legit final 4 team with a good chance to go the distance. I agree that we aren't deep down the middle. Add a 3rd line center and Sauer and we have as good a chance as anyone.

As for parting with some of the youth, he definitely likes Dubi and Artie...but admitted that they aren't at the level of Nash.

Old
07-25-2012, 07:23 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

awesome! great! fantastic! stupendous! jolly good!
perhaps by end of the season,

McD-Girardi
Staal-Sauer
MDZ-McIlrath/Stralman
Bickel

you really could mix those pairings up any way you want to though. I mean Staal-Girardi is a known quantity. Who knows, McD-Stralman could turn Stralman into a machine for all we know. So many options, so much excitement.

Last edited by New York RKY: 07-25-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old
07-25-2012, 07:30 PM
GregSirico

All signs are positive for Sauer.

Old
07-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post
I think its very important right now to lock up Stralman. We have 13 million in cap room so to me this is not the time to low ball the guy. There is no need for this arbitration process as I doubt Stralman is asking for a lot of money here. He probably just wants a little raise as he has been making under $1 million for most of his NHL career(except for 1 season).
Stralman elected for arbitration, not the Rangers

Old
07-25-2012, 08:03 PM
noupf

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
So happy if he's ready to go to start the season.
If I am not mistaken, Sauer has been shut down on all physical activities since the concussion that sidelined him. I would imagine if things go well in terms of progress.......at best, with getting back into game shape, some conitioning games in the AHL and so on......we may see him in the second half of the season at the earliest.

Old
07-25-2012, 08:16 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Tremendous news.

It'll be a huge boost if he's the same player.

Old
07-25-2012, 08:35 PM
Lone Ranger

Sweet and Sauer!

Old
07-25-2012, 08:40 PM
GregSirico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
Sweet and Sauer!
ha!!!!!!!!!

Old
07-25-2012, 08:47 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
If he comes back, that has to give us the deepest D corps in the league.
I'd have to agree.

LA's defense is the only team on that level.

I'd be hard pressed to believe that the Rangers aren't the best team in the East right now. Pittsburgh and Philly got weaker, Devils lost a HUGE piece. Carolina got stronger, but they weren't even a playoff team. I don't think Jordan Staal is the difference between them going from missing the playoffs to the top of the division.

Old
07-25-2012, 09:15 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Stralman elected for arbitration, not the Rangers

Yes, I'm aware of this.

However, I'm sure he did not do it for no reason. At times Sather likes to low ball some of the young players...maybe take advantage of their RFA status.

I'm all for smart management of the cap of the team. However, when he is willing to shell out $7.5 to Gaborik and $6.6 to Richards, arguing over a few hundred thousand dollars with someone like Stralman does not make sense.

I feel that he was probably our most underrated defenseman last season. He was excellent for most of the playoffs and the regular season. A very good #5 who can play in top 4. He is also only 25 so there is a little upside left.

Old
07-25-2012, 09:26 PM
Tawnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by noupf View Post
If I am not mistaken, Sauer has been shut down on all physical activities since the concussion that sidelined him. I would imagine if things go well in terms of progress.......at best, with getting back into game shape, some conitioning games in the AHL and so on......we may see him in the second half of the season at the earliest.
Not sure I agree there. Sauer's been shut down for 7 months now. Staal was shut down for 7 months before resuming workouts. Everyone is different, but I think there's a good chance we see Sauer before December.

Old
07-25-2012, 09:28 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Kreiderman View Post
Why would you break up McD and Girardi? I rather see them together and have Staal pair up with Sauer. DZ and Stralman are perfect together.

I still hope we get a D to replace Bickel. Even Eminger would be better.
It's been addressed but McD and Sauer were partners before and Staal and Girardi were partners before.

No sense is debating pairings/combos anyway, everyone will play with everyone.

Getting Sauer back is like signing a new RHD. I absolutely love his game. He has crazy eyes when people look at Lundqvist too long; it's only been a few years since that disgusting photo of Redden skating to the bench with Lundqvist laid out on the ice.

It's honestly us and LA as far as the best 6 d men go. 22 minutes per top 4 leaves 16 minutes for MDZ and Strahlman. It's not enough for anyone on any given night, but imagine the energy in a game 7 of a conference final.

Closed Thread