HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Predators match offer sheet issued to Weber (Teams' releases are in post #335)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-25-2012, 06:26 PM
  #801
JVR21
G
 
JVR21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 7,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
the biggest indication that Weber was happy and planning to stay in Nashville was his expression of shock that Suter didnt re-sign.

I truly believe weber thought Suter would sign, possibly bringing Parise with him, and then he would sign, either by negotiation or via the offer sheet match

I think the truth is actually the opposite of what most people assume... instead of preferring Philly but reluctantly accepting Nashville, he preferred Nashville, but was willing to accept Philly in order to ensure he got the cash he wanted
That doesn't make sense at all, dude. Suter had already left and Parise didn't sign there. It was a whole new ball game at that point.

JVR21 is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 06:29 PM
  #802
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
the biggest indication that Weber was happy and planning to stay in Nashville was his expression of shock that Suter didnt re-sign.

I truly believe weber thought Suter would sign, possibly bringing Parise with him, and then he would sign, either by negotiation or via the offer sheet match

I think the truth is actually the opposite of what most people assume... instead of preferring Philly but reluctantly accepting Nashville, he preferred Nashville, but was willing to accept Philly in order to ensure he got the cash he wanted
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

This is a business, and Weber knows what side he's batting for now and for the next 14 years. You don't step on the toes of your cellmate the first day of a 14-year sentence.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I don't buy it for a second.

Honestly, it doesn't really matter to anyone but the Predators and Weber. He's going to get $55m in the next three years. He's a Predator for life. He might as well not exist to us outside of one exchange every year.

CS is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 07:13 PM
  #803
Mondello
Makin' the scene...
 
Mondello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: PGH, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,495
vCash: 500
I think Ray Shero is an excellent GM; but, damn, I wish he had Homer's balls--and those of the Pred's management team! Kudos all around.

If nothing else, it's been great entertainment (with a happy ending for us in the western part of the state!

Mondello is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 07:13 PM
  #804
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,370
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

This is a business, and Weber knows what side he's batting for now and for the next 14 years. You don't step on the toes of your cellmate the first day of a 14-year sentence.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I don't buy it for a second.

Honestly, it doesn't really matter to anyone but the Predators and Weber. He's going to get $55m in the next three years. He's a Predator for life. He might as well not exist to us outside of one exchange every year.
this is your board so I wont argue further... hes ours for 14 years and Im happy and I believe he's happy. Have a good summer, see you in december at the Bridge!

PredsV82 is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 07:34 PM
  #805
Pelle31
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
not trying to start crap on your board but thats a pretty uninformed view of the Preds.

its kind of amusing how many fans that dont really follow us act like we are some lottery team who went out and spent huge money on one player but dont have a supporting cast

We were considered a legitimate cup contender last year(most everyone expected us to beat phoenix, but you know how that kind of thing goes).

The only significant loss has been Suter(unless you think losing Jordin tootoo is a crippling blow), and without being too arrogant, we churn out solid defensemen in bunches, so even if we dont sign or trade for another D-man, we arent that much worse if all that happens is everyone else moves up a slot.

plus we have a lot of young wingers who should play better than they did last year, and neither Legwand nor Erat really had great seasons, so I dont think we will be in too much trouble even if we dont add anyone else this summer or next.. and in a couple of years, the financial hit of Webers deal wont be nearly as burdensome, so as long as we dont go belly-up in a year or two(wont happen) we will be fine...
Eventhough I'm a Flyer fan, I don't think your team is in trouble, it's too bad that Suter left but you guys seem to have a habit of producing decent defensemen. You have a good goalie in Rinne, and a number one defenseman in Weber but you might be a little light in offense but Poile has enough assets to trade for someone to fill that need. The only downfall is your in the western conference where fighting for a playoff spot is hard. Eventhough I'd love to see Weber in Orange & Black I'm glad he'll be in Nashville for a long time and not in Pittsburgh or New York.

Pelle31 is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 12:04 AM
  #806
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,710
vCash: 50
some bitterness is still around I see.

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 12:13 AM
  #807
ONTHEFLYGUY
Registered User
 
ONTHEFLYGUY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
I'm not bitter or mad, holgrem tried, that's all he could do

ONTHEFLYGUY is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 09:17 AM
  #808
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,269
vCash: 500
Philadelphia Flyers expect they'll land Shea Weber eventually, analysts say

Don't worry guys.. our own resident anal-cysts, say we'll eventually get him .....you know when he is a waning star just like we always do...Hawerchuk, Oates, Jagr, Forsberg, Coffey, Pronger, ....Methuselah



Quote:
Maurice Patton of the Tennessean: Al Morganti (former Flyers writer for the Philadelphia Inquirer and current postgame analyst for the Flyers Comcast telecasts) on Shea Weber:

“Long term, they have a laser on this guy,” he said. “Eventually he’ll wind up here. When they target someone like that, one way or another the guy comes to town.”

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...nclick_check=1


Last edited by FreshPerspective: 07-26-2012 at 10:03 AM. Reason: addition
FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 10:41 AM
  #809
MarkMM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Delta, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Don't worry guys.. our own resident anal-cysts, say we'll eventually get him .....you know when he is a waning star just like we always do...Hawerchuk, Oates, Jagr, Forsberg, Coffey, Pronger, ....Methuselah
Haha, wow. You guys have a pretty deep team and there are other d-men out there, plenty of fish in the sea.

I'm wondering if this writer is still hung up on the gap-toothed girl in kindergarten that wouldn't hold his hand.

One day, one day...

MarkMM is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 10:46 AM
  #810
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,046
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post
Haha, wow. You guys have a pretty deep team and there are other d-men out there, plenty of fish in the sea.

I'm wondering if this writer is still hung up on the gap-toothed girl in kindergarten that wouldn't hold his hand.

One day, one day...
Morganti is just a terrible writer

Krishna is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 10:51 AM
  #811
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,255
vCash: 539
I just want to thank holmgren for providing me with 5 of the most optimistic days of flyer fanhood. Thank you.

Jtown is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 10:55 AM
  #812
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Don't worry guys.. our own resident anal-cysts, say we'll eventually get him .....you know when he is a waning star just like we always do...Hawerchuk, Oates, Jagr, Forsberg, Coffey, Pronger, ....Methuselah
That was my first thought when I read it. That they would get him when he's 35.

Haute Couturier is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 11:34 AM
  #813
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
this is your board so I wont argue further... hes ours for 14 years and Im happy and I believe he's happy. Have a good summer, see you in december at the Bridge!
I'm sure that Paul Holmgren is even now taking every step to repair any damage in the friendship between the two organizations to remain active trading partners. Why, I heard that he even sent over an appeasement gift.



Please consider this to be a "good luck" mascot for Shea and for the entire team, which should be kept nearby in the locker room, or practice facility, or even in, say, an office where contract negotiations are conducted. Just as examples, of course!

BernieParent is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 09:27 AM
  #814
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,269
vCash: 500
Don't worry..at least when we "eventually" get him at 35 he wil waive to come to the Flyers...

Quote:
Josh Cooper of the Tennessean: Shea Weber’s agent said to ESPN that they would ask Nashville to add a no-movement or no-trade clause to the contract they just signed.

“We’ve discussed it,” Poile said, “but we have not resolved that yet.”

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...nclick_check=1

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
09-12-2012, 08:24 PM
  #815
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
35NW8ING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
Nashville is leaking that they are gonna match.

Its financial suicide.

Yeah, 10 owners, 8 multi millionaires and two billionaires. Good call! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishman420 View Post
And now I hope the league get locked out the year.....would laugh my ass off if Nashville goes bankrupt over this.
It would be funny if an NHL team goes bankrupt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAINDON View Post
Weber's agent said he did not want to be in Nashville. Looking forward to his quotes after this.
If he didn't want to be in Nashville he would have signed a one year deal and left to any destination of his choosing. He wanted to be in Nashville, or Philly. That is the condition HE created for himself by signing the offer sheet.

Shea Weber wanted money, lots of it, and he was fine playing in Nashville or Philly to achieve that goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
the biggest indication that Weber was happy and planning to stay in Nashville was his expression of shock that Suter didnt re-sign.

I truly believe weber thought Suter would sign, possibly bringing Parise with him, and then he would sign, either by negotiation or via the offer sheet match

I think the truth is actually the opposite of what most people assume... instead of preferring Philly but reluctantly accepting Nashville, he preferred Nashville, but was willing to accept Philly in order to ensure he got the cash he wanted
Excellent point and spot on. If destination was first and foremost, like Parise, all Weber has to do is sign a one year deal and then he is GUARANTEED to play wherever he wants.

Dollars>Destination for Weber. Patently obvious. Stevie Wonder, Helen Keller, and Ray Charles could see it.


Last edited by Beef Invictus: 09-12-2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: merging
35NW8ING is offline  
Old
09-12-2012, 08:39 PM
  #816
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener
 
SeanCWombBroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
Yeah, 10 owners, 8 multi millionaires and two billionaires.
This wasn't addressed to me, but I'll answer it.

First, that is a terrible breakdown of how the ownership works.

Second, you sound like someone who doesn't understand (or have) money. Or know enough businessmen.

Third, your responses make you sound very young.

SeanCWombBroom is offline  
Old
09-13-2012, 07:55 PM
  #817
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
35NW8ING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
This wasn't addressed to me, but I'll answer it.

First, that is a terrible breakdown of how the ownership works.
There was no breakdown of how ownership works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Second, you sound like someone who doesn't understand (or have) money. Or know enough businessmen.
And you sound like someone who can't interpret a post correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Third, your responses make you sound very young.
Depends what you consider young.

35NW8ING is offline  
Old
09-13-2012, 08:35 PM
  #818
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing
 
RevUpThoseGolfCarts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
Yeah, 10 owners, 8 multi millionaires and two billionaires. Good call! LOL
People don't like to dump millions into something that hasn't earned them money. From what I've read, the Preds haven't turned a profit in quite a while (possibly never). I personally thought it was insane that they would shell out this much money on something that has never made them any profit, but now that I think about it maybe they believe that Weber can bring them a Stanley Cup and that (plus his name) will increase sales of merch andtickets.

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline  
Old
09-13-2012, 08:38 PM
  #819
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,863
vCash: 500
I said this in the off season thread also, but it probably is better for here.

Nashville is going to be paying him a ton of money without him quite possibly not playing this year. I think if they do lock out for a long time again, the situation might get tricky in Nashville.

Prongo is offline  
Old
09-13-2012, 08:42 PM
  #820
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 12,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I said this in the off season thread also, but it probably is better for here.

Nashville is going to be paying him a ton of money without him quite possibly not playing this year. I think if they do lock out for a long time again, the situation might get tricky in Nashville.
Except, even if there is an entire season lost, they have to pay him, what, $24 million in bonuses? They don't get that back, and his salary for 2013-2014 is like $2million, right?

The lockout is a problem for them, sure, but I don't see how it makes it any more likely that they will move Weber, since they can't move him before the second bonus is paid out anyway.

Jack de la Hoya is offline  
Old
09-13-2012, 08:49 PM
  #821
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener
 
SeanCWombBroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
There was no breakdown of how ownership works.
Right, because it would unmask your misguided comment. You implied that because these men have money, that the Predators were "laughably" able to avoid the aforementioned financial suicide. You relegated his comment to the absurd, because of that reason.

Unfortunately, that's not how it works. He clearly said the Nashville organization will have money issues. He was not addressing the owners who have said stake in that particular business.

Also, don't try to dodge me. It won't work.

Quote:
And you sound like someone who can't interpret a post correctly.
Sadly, I spent far too much money, time, ink, beer, and coffee, working on logic to be poor at it. You're the one who responds with a comment about the owners, when the original poster was referencing the team.

The owner's total sum of money from aggregate businesses and capital =/= the team's earnings.

smoka47: "Y is X."
You: "Z is ~X!"

Your comment is worthless.


Last edited by Beef Invictus: 09-13-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: cleaning up
SeanCWombBroom is offline  
Old
09-13-2012, 09:02 PM
  #822
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
You implied that because these men have money, that the Predators were "laughably" able to avoid the aforementioned financial suicide. You relegated his comment to the absurd, because of that reason.

Unfortunately, that's not how it works. He clearly said the Nashville organization will have money issues. He was not addressing the owners who have said stake in that particular business.
Except is it laughable to assume they were unable to cover this contract. It's far from financial suicide.

The ownership group will have no fiscal issues in covering the debt from Weber's contract. They can EASILY get a loan to cover it if necessary. At worse, the ownership group can decide to inject outside capital from their personal funds.

It was NEVER a financial capability issue, it was always a financial commitment issue.

achdumeingute is offline  
Old
09-13-2012, 09:06 PM
  #823
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Except, even if there is an entire season lost, they have to pay him, what, $24 million in bonuses? They don't get that back, and his salary for 2013-2014 is like $2million, right?

The lockout is a problem for them, sure, but I don't see how it makes it any more likely that they will move Weber, since they can't move him before the second bonus is paid out anyway.
something like that yes. The majority of his payouts for the first 6 years are in signing bonuses, his base salary is very low. The bonuses are paid regardless of the lockout.

achdumeingute is offline  
Old
09-13-2012, 09:09 PM
  #824
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener
 
SeanCWombBroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Except is it laughable to assume they were unable to cover this contract. It's far from financial suicide.
Sure, for the owners. I think we can both admit it will tax the team, which is what Smoka said. It's unfair to strawman him, which is what goober was trying to do.

Quote:
The ownership group will have no fiscal issues in covering the debt from Weber's contract. They can EASILY get a loan to cover it if necessary. At worse, the ownership group can decide to inject outside capital from their personal funds.
I think the latter is more likely. Owners are rich. They don't like loans. Loans usually imply interest. Their own money buys them more stake (sometimes) -- plus no interest.

Quote:
It was NEVER a financial capability issue, it was always a financial commitment issue.
Yep. And a commitment to losing money (at least up front). If you get to know a lot of rich people, it is not easy to get significant money from them. That's why they're rich. Heck, 80% of them drive used cars, for all that money they have. Fiscal people.

SeanCWombBroom is offline  
Old
09-13-2012, 09:19 PM
  #825
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
I think the latter is more likely. Owners are rich. They don't like loans. Loans usually imply interest. Their own money buys them more stake (usually) -- plus no interest.
I've read the NHL has offered no interest loans to teams for this sort of thing in the past...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Yep. And a commitment to losing money (at least up front). If you get to know a lot of rich people, it is not easy to get significant money from them. That's why they're rich. Heck, 80% of them drive used cars, for all that money they have. Fiscal people.
This is true.

Pro sports is a bit of a different business paradigm as a profit motive isn't the ultimate goal (for some owners).

achdumeingute is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.