HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Penn State Fallout

Old
07-22-2012, 02:54 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Penn State Fallout

Wasn't sure if it was appropriate to bump a long-dead topic on the subject, but if the mods feel like there's no need for this topic feel free to merge with this one:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=895578

But the news leaking out of the NCAA is that they're planning to announce a major punishment levied against Penn State Monday morning, the ramifications of which could very well be greater than the death penalty itself.

As of now, no one has any real ideas, other than the fact that the football program seems poised to get a multi-year bowl ban and a significant number of lost scholarships.

What's not known, however, is if this will be limited to the football program or the entire athletics department itself, including the soon-to-be-varsity men's and women's hockey programs.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-400_162-...st-penn-state/

Whether or not this directly affects their new hockey programs or not, you can almost be assured that there will at least be some crossover between the likely shakeup with the football program as well as at the athletics department with the new hockey teams.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:17 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Penn State's penalties, from what I can tell, were directly limited to their football program, but given the loss of income that they're going to experience, especially from fielding progressively horrendous teams as premier recruits aren't going to be interested in going there for a long while, this could still very well have a deleterious effect on other athletics programs at Penn State.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:00 AM
sbkbghockey

vCash: 500
I think we'll have to wait and see, it's hard to predict something like this, because the cover-up by PSU football staff and PSU admin staff is unprecedented and hopefully will never happen again. This could either be a positive for the hockey program or a huge roadblock in building a successful program.

On one hand, they'll lose major sources of athletic revenue with the loss of bowls , lower donations, merch sales, etc... They may also lose some recruits in football and other sports because the athletes or their families don't' want them to be associated with the school and the dark, negative cloud that now sits over the football program and school.

It could also be a boost for hockey, Hockey at Penn State has been around for many years, but as an NCAA program it's a fresh new sport that could pull casual fans from football. It's a great way to market the university's athletic program with a fresh new perspective. New team, coaches, staff, facilities not in any way connected to the past makes it the perfect diversion from the problems with the football program and issues with the old Penn State/the football good ole boys club and there cover-ups.

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 02:44 PM
skatesharpener

It was interesting to see in the news today of young girls with hands in face as the Penn State penalties were broadcast. We all love sports but football at Penn was held almost to a cult like status.

skatesharpener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:01 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Pardon my ignorance on the matter as I don't follow the NCAA, but why is Penn State being so heavily punished again?

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 06:52 AM
clear the track

Schmuck!

[QUOTE=Puckschmuck;52969331]Pardon my ignorance on the matter as I don't follow the NCAA, but why is Penn State being so heavily punished again?[/QUOTE

Please tell me you are joking. Pulling our leg?

clear the track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:24 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Pardon my ignorance on the matter as I don't follow the NCAA, but why is Penn State being so heavily punished again?
For over a decade, the head coach of their football team, director of their athletic department, and president of the university, amongst others, ignored/covered up the fact that a member of their university (first an assistant football coach and then some sort of enigmatic figure in the athletic department that had no real responsibilities but still had an office and access to their facilities) was an active pedophile rapist that sexually assaulted likely dozens of minors within their facilities.

Old
07-26-2012, 09:35 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by clear the track View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Please tell me you are joking. Pulling our leg?
No, I'm not joking.

Last edited by SixthSens: 08-04-2012 at 04:12 PM. Reason: no need for the last part
Old
07-26-2012, 09:37 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
For over a decade, the head coach of their football team, director of their athletic department, and president of the university, amongst others, ignored/covered up the fact that a member of their university (first an assistant football coach and then some sort of enigmatic figure in the athletic department that had no real responsibilities but still had an office and access to their facilities) was an active pedophile rapist that sexually assaulted likely dozens of minors within their facilities.
Thank you for the response, NFS. That is truly disgusting and of couse those involved should be punished, but to punish those who were not in the know, well, seems kind of unfair to me.

Old
07-26-2012, 01:46 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Every NCAA sanction has negative side effects on people that had nothing to do with the actions that got the university in trouble. Especially in circumstances like these though, the hope is that dropping the hammer down on them sends an unequivocal message across the NCAA that this type of bull**** will never be tolerated in a million years and to hopefully force a system reset at Penn State itself to force them to have a system of checks and balances and to make sure that they actually have meaningful enforcement and safety protocols.

There are more important things than sports, and this is one of them. Trying to fix this mess and prevent something like it from ever happening again far outweighs the negative consequences that will be felt by Penn State fans and a few classes' worth of Nittany Lion athletes.

Last edited by No Fun Shogun: 07-26-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old
07-26-2012, 02:26 PM
skatesharpener

An example!

Penn State will be used as an example so other schools never put sports ahead the wellfare of their students or to the general public. Sportsmania in the U.S. college system has become cult like to the detrement of academics and as we now know the safety of youth. Its a shame that all Joe Paterno accomplished has been washed down the toilet..........for the lust of the allmighty sports $$$$$$$$$.

skatesharpener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 05:05 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

If you think college sports is a vacuum this could be good for PSU's upcoming transition from club hockey to DI and playing in the new B1G Hockey Conf.

They have a wealthy backer, brand new facilities and should be able to recruit well from growing hockey areas in Western and Eastern PA as well as Western NY. The hockey team will obviously struggle for a couple of years as they grow, but they will be B1G contenders on the ice long before they will on the gridiron.

Penn St. football will have a very difficult time recruiting outside of diehard PSU families for probably a generation, and the basketball team is very middle of the road, the fans will have to turn somewhere, and with good chunk of the student body from strong hockey markets in Pittsburgh and Philly, I think hockey will catch on quickly.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

As far as PSU hockey's situation goes, I think Herby said it best. While the negative stigma will be there in the coming years as far as recruiting is concerned, I don't think that it'll really affect the hockey programs much. Gadowsky is one of the best coaches in collegiate hockey and if he can build that program into an elite program, then the players will come. Gadowsky runs a tight ship and anything that would disgrace the team won't be tolerated.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 08-04-2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: qep
Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote