HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Callahan Question

Old
07-25-2012, 09:36 PM
Oak
Hockey fan

vCash: 500
Callahan Question

Hey guys,

I'm not here on a daily basis so I might have missed it, but I was wondering any reports ever came out about Callahan being injured in the second half of the playoffs. I heard some rumors of a broken hand but I was wondering if it was actually something more than just fatigue that caused his decline.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:00 PM
smoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post
Hey guys,

I'm not here on a daily basis so I might have missed it, but I was wondering any reports ever came out about Callahan being injured in the second half of the playoffs. I heard some rumors of a broken hand but I was wondering if it was actually something more than just fatigue that caused his decline.
Nope. Callahan himself said after the playoffs ended (ie- when he would have no reason to lie) that he wasn't injured at all. I think it was a combination of fatigue, trying to do too much, and not really meshing with his linemates (Stepan-Callahan was a disaster every time it's been tried, and he wasn't really producing with Richards anymore either). Callahan needs to find a center he can consistently play well with, or he's going to continue bouncing around with different line-mates.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:29 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
Nope. Callahan himself said after the playoffs ended (ie- when he would have no reason to lie) that he wasn't injured at all. I think it was a combination of fatigue, trying to do too much, and not really meshing with his linemates (Stepan-Callahan was a disaster every time it's been tried, and he wasn't really producing with Richards anymore either). Callahan needs to find a center he can consistently play well with, or he's going to continue bouncing around with different line-mates.
Cally was doing just fine with Richards, but Richards got moved up to jumpstart Gabby.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:42 AM
Oak
Hockey fan

I assumed he was fatigued. I agree he does try to do too much but that is why we love him. He also had the baby which can have a mental toll not being there with your family.

My main concern wasn't along the lines of scoring but his physical game somewhat disappeared. He wasn't finishing his checks in his trademark way which kind of bothered me. Seemed to get pushed around a bit more than I've seen in a while, in the least all season I never saw that happen to him.

Old
07-26-2012, 12:43 AM
smoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Cally was doing just fine with Richards, but Richards got moved up to jumpstart Gabby.
He asked about the playoffs. Cally wasn't doing much with Richards in the post-season. And frankly, I would argue that Gabby was the one who jump-started Richards, not the other way around.

Callahan needs to be on a line with players who play physical and shoot frequently. Richards and Stepan are both pass-first players. I could see a line of Nash-Richards-Callahan working well (Nash loves to shoot, Richards will put him in a position to shoot, and Cally would be there to put away the trash). That would also free up Gaborik (when he's healthy) to play with Kreider and Stepan (he and Step had some chemistry early last year).

A bunch of people have talked about wanting Nash to "mentor" Kreider and Stepan on that line. I don't want Nash anywhere near those two. There were too many claims out of Columbus that Nash spread his lackadaisical training habits to the young player on that team. Put Nash with two vets (Richards and Cally) who can mentor HIM to finally be the player a man of his talent should be.

Old
07-26-2012, 12:44 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Tortorella says he was injured. It's not uncommon for players to downplay their injuries even after the playoffs are over.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:47 AM
smoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post
I assumed he was fatigued. I agree he does try to do too much but that is why we love him. He also had the baby which can have a mental toll not being there with your family.

My main concern wasn't along the lines of scoring but his physical game somewhat disappeared. He wasn't finishing his checks in his trademark way which kind of bothered me. Seemed to get pushed around a bit more than I've seen in a while, in the least all season I never saw that happen to him.

That was going on all season though. Cally came out like a man on fire in the first game of the season, but he also had stretches where he was more interested in trying to dangle and make cutesy no-look passes than he was in playing his brand of hockey. He was also guilty at times of being a little lazy on the back-check. I thought Cally was better two seasons ago than he was last season, and I hope he gets back to that, as he's my favorite forward on the team (was tied with Dubi and AA).

Old
07-26-2012, 12:47 AM
Oak
Hockey fan

Quote:

A bunch of people have talked about wanting Nash to "mentor" Kreider and Stepan on that line. I don't want Nash anywhere near those two. There were too many claims out of Columbus that Nash spread his lackadaisical training habits to the young player on that team. Put Nash with two vets (Richards and Cally) who can mentor HIM to finally be the player a man of his talent should be.
Great point. I wonder how Nash is going to deal with Torts system. I am hoping that this is something he is longing for on the inside as a hockey player with pride and guts, but I guess we shall see.

I'm pretty confident if he tries to go the lazy floater route he will not be seeing as much time as he likes. Torts dont play dat!

Old
07-26-2012, 12:48 AM
smoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Tortorella says he was injured. It's not uncommon for players to downplay their injuries even after the playoffs are over.
Link? Aside from speculation on this forum, I haven't heard one thing about Cally being injured in the post-season (aside from him specifically saying otherwise).

Old
07-26-2012, 12:50 AM
Oak
Hockey fan

Quote:
That was going on all season though. Cally came out like a man on fire in the first game of the season, but he also had stretches where he was more interested in trying to dangle and make cutesy no-look passes than he was in playing his brand of hockey. He was also guilty at times of being a little lazy on the back-check. I thought Cally was better two seasons ago than he was last season, and I hope he gets back to that, as he's my favorite forward on the team (was tied with Dubi and AA).
I agree I have seen him get lazy on the back check, but I can't say I remember many games this season where he wasn't finishing his checks, or getting pushed around. Some games he wasn't hitting as much as usual, but when he did hit, he HIT.

On the other hand, 2nd half of playoffs he wasn't finishing checks and seemed to be getting muscled around and not fighting back. I was really disappointed by that.

Old
07-26-2012, 12:58 AM
Kershaw

He had stone hands in the playoffs. Hopefully he has a good postseason next year.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:59 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
Link? Aside from speculation on this forum, I haven't heard one thing about Cally being injured in the post-season (aside from him specifically saying otherwise).
I think he said it here

Old
07-26-2012, 01:09 AM
Oak
Hockey fan

Quote:
I think he said it here
Lol some of the comments on that page are mind boggling. Are people really that stupid?

Regardless Cally being injured reassures me a bit. Having him fade like that and play completely out of character was worrisome. Thanks for the link.

Old
07-26-2012, 01:10 AM
smoneil

Quote:
I think he said it here
All he said was that Cally was "a little banged up" and that he really struggled prior to those last two games. I might be picking a nit here, but to me there is a huge difference between being "a little banged up" (frankly, if a player ISN'T a little banged up by the third round of the playoffs, he isn't doing it right) and having an "injury" that drastically impacts a player's game or effectiveness (such as Gaborik's injury).

Old
07-26-2012, 01:13 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
All he said was that Cally was "a little banged up" and that he really struggled prior to those last two games. I might be picking a nit here, but to me there is a huge difference between being "a little banged up" (frankly, if a player ISN'T a little banged up by the third round of the playoffs, he isn't doing it right) and having an "injury" that drastically impacts a player's game or effectiveness (such as Gaborik's injury).
That's why I think he wouldn't mention it if it were really just a few nicks and scrapes

Old
07-26-2012, 01:20 AM
smoneil

Quote:
That's why I think he wouldn't mention it if it were really just a few nicks and scrapes
I understand your thinking, I just don't see enough in that clip to disregard the actual player saying "no, I wasn't injured." I thought Torts threw that line out there to mitigate some of the things he had said just prior (that Callahan hadn't been playing well, that he hadn't had a lot of post-season experience, etc). He didn't want it to seem like he was throwing his player (and captain) under a bus.

Like I said initially--I think Cally's playoff struggles were primarily due to fatigue, not meshing with his line-mates (his best hockey came when he was playing with familiar line-mates--Dubi and AA), and (most importantly IMO) trying to do too much himself, especially after Gaborik got hurt.

Old
07-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

After the 2011 playoffs a reporter asked Ryan Kesler if he was injured, he said he felt fine. He had hip surgery that off-season and missed training camp and 5 regular season games.

I realize that Ryan Callahan is a completely separate person. But when asked about injuries so soon they can look at it as an opportunity to make an excuse.

Old
07-26-2012, 10:48 AM
Baby Punisher

When you play a physical net crashing game like Cally does & than block dozens of point blank shots in the defensive zone banged up is an understatement.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote