HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC on Fox 4: Shogun vs Vera

Old
07-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

vCash: 500
Awards:
There's nobody else. For all the talk of 185 being cleaned out, if Jones beats Hendo this division is in even worse shape until Gustafsson can get some momentum. Hopefully Chael moves up.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:15 PM
BGDDYKWL

Vera's not a can, but I don't think I'd pick him to beat anyone in the top 15-20, so in that sense it seems like a waste of time for Shogun. I love Shogun at around -350 in this one. Also love Machida at -320 against Bader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Le Tigre View Post
Rothwell out and Devin Cole in to face Browne
I guess Mitrione knew well in advance that his fight wouldn't be happening, because otherwise it would seem to have made perfect sense to match him up with Browne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Still a good card. Dana White said if Shogun whoops that ass he will be the number one contender. Which doesn't make sense to me.
+1. But then you take a look at the landscape at 205 and I don't know who would get the next shot. Jones really has cleaned out that division. In that Gustafsson is essentially the only guy left I'd like to see him and Shogun fight and the winner of that get the next shot. Who knows maybe by then if Cain loses again or if Cormier comes over one of those guys will drop down to 205. Also, if Teixeira can finish Rampage he'd only need one more big win before I'd be ok with him getting a title shot.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:38 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Still a good card. Dana White said if Shogun whoops that ass he will be the number one contender. Which doesn't make sense to me.
He's fighting Vera so it's pretty much a guarantee that he'll whoop that ass.

So Shogun gets destroyed by Jones, beats Forrest, loses to Henderson, refuses to fight Teixeira, and now gets a title shot if he beats a guy who is only in the UFC because Thiago Silva was on roids? Wow.

Jones really killed that division.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:42 PM
Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
He's fighting Vera so it's pretty much a guarantee that he'll whoop that ass.

So Shogun gets destroyed by Jones, beats Forrest, loses to Henderson, refuses to fight Teixeira, and now gets a title shot if he beats a guy who is only in the UFC because Thiago Silva was on roids? Wow.

Jones really killed that division.
Can't count out Henderson. And Machida at least had a round on Jones and may have exposed some weaknesses...

Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:08 AM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
Vera's not a can, but I don't think I'd pick him to beat anyone in the top 15-20, so in that sense it seems like a waste of time for Shogun. I love Shogun at around -350 in this one. Also love Machida at -320 against Bader.

I guess Mitrione knew well in advance that his fight wouldn't be happening, because otherwise it would seem to have made perfect sense to match him up with Browne.

+1. But then you take a look at the landscape at 205 and I don't know who would get the next shot. Jones really has cleaned out that division. In that Gustafsson is essentially the only guy left I'd like to see him and Shogun fight and the winner of that get the next shot. Who knows maybe by then if Cain loses again or if Cormier comes over one of those guys will drop down to 205. Also, if Teixeira can finish Rampage he'd only need one more big win before I'd be ok with him getting a title shot.
The light heavyweight division is on lockdown until Jones moves up to heavyweight imo. Its not a weak division...its just that Jones is so dominant..i'm not even a JJ fan. The only way Jones loses is if he underestimates Hendo...then we have a Couture/Sylvia situation.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:26 AM
LMFAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
There's nobody else. For all the talk of 185 being cleaned out, if Jones beats Hendo this division is in even worse shape until Gustafsson can get some momentum. Hopefully Chael moves up.

agreed, they should give Chael a top 5 light heavyweight and if he wins a title shot against Jones, of course sonnen's gonna get destroyed but the build up for the fight would be insane!

LMFAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:50 AM
m9

Its too bad that Jones has no challengers, because he's someone who wants to stay active.

Dana saying that these 205 fights will determine the next contender is hilarious. Jones already took these four guys to school.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 02:44 AM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
Its too bad that Jones has no challengers, because he's someone who wants to stay active.

Dana saying that these 205 fights will determine the next contender is hilarious. Jones already took these four guys to school.
The only guy who had any success was Machida. Machida looks pretty shredded and lean for his fight with Bader...I'm getting the feeling he will give us a "holy ****" performance. Machida vs Bones 2 interests me more than Shogun vs Bones 2.

Old
07-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Captain_Cunney

I don't have a problem with shogun getting fight either. If memory serves me correctly shogun was coming off an injury again & looked less than stellar. Jones had a lot to do with that & will crush him again most likely.

There is no reason a healthy shougun can't present the same problems machida gave bones & at least make a more interesting fight this time.

Sure he lost to Hendo recently but that loss might have improved his stock & general marketability if anything.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
I don't have a problem with shogun getting fight either. If memory serves me correctly shogun was coming off an injury again & looked less than stellar. Jones had a lot to do with that & will crush him again most likely.

There is no reason a healthy shougun can't present the same problems machida gave bones & at least make a more interesting fight this time.

Sure he lost to Hendo recently but that loss might have improved his stock & general marketability if anything.
I hope so if thats the case. Of course all it takes is Hendo landing an H-bomb square on Bones and we are talking Shogun-Hendo 2. Unlikely but its been a weird year in MMA so far.

Old
07-26-2012, 02:11 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post

Shogun has nothing for Jones.

Really not interested in seeing that again.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 05:43 PM
DeathFromAbove

I'd be more interested in a Machida rematch than a Shogun rematch.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:18 PM
I Am Beat You

At least Machida took a round from Jones. If that fight were to happen again though, I'd think Jones would be much quicker to utilize his wrestling advantage.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:14 PM
m9

Same, at least Machida went down with a fight. Shogun went down a cowering and destroyed 205 lb ball of battered organs and limbs.

Old
07-27-2012, 10:55 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Quote:
Same, at least Machida went down with a fight. Shogun went down a cowering and destroyed 205 lb ball of battered organs and limbs.
Machidas a samurai thats why. He could've tapped at any time but didnt. Shogun was messed 4 seconds into that fight by the flying knee.

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:42 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

The Dragon definetly goes out on his shield...which is why he's one of my faves.

Old
07-27-2012, 05:53 PM
DaaaaB's

Shogun's a much better striker and all around fighter than Machida and will be a tougher challenge to Jones. You guys are way too hung up Machida slighty winning one round before he got destroyed. Shogun was coming off major surgery and it was his first fight in almost a year. If he doesn't get hit by that knee right away the fight could've went differently. That being said, I'm quite sure Jones would beat him again and likely in devestating fashion.

I love Hendo but Jones is going to win easily. All Hendo has going for him in the fight is the H-Bomb. He won't be able to take him down or outstrike him. I see Jones finishing the fight in 3rd or 4th round by TKO or choke.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:58 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
The Dragon definetly goes out on his shield...which is why he's one of my faves.
In his first fight with Shogun, Machida looked like he didn't even want to be in the ring by the mid rounds. One of the worst decisions of alltime allowed to win that fight somehow but Shogun beat the fighting spirit right out of him in that fight.

Old
07-27-2012, 07:29 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
Shogun's a much better striker and all around fighter than Machida and will be a tougher challenge to Jones. You guys are way too hung up Machida slighty winning one round before he got destroyed. Shogun was coming off major surgery and it was his first fight in almost a year. If he doesn't get hit by that knee right away the fight could've went differently. That being said, I'm quite sure Jones would beat him again and likely in devestating fashion.

I love Hendo but Jones is going to win easily. All Hendo has going for him in the fight is the H-Bomb. He won't be able to take him down or outstrike him. I see Jones finishing the fight in 3rd or 4th round by TKO or choke.
Yes but Shogun is ALWAYS injured, out of shape, coming off surgeries, and gone a long time without fighting. You can't use those as excuses when its likely those are just always going to be there.

Old
07-27-2012, 07:30 PM
m9

Quote:
In his first fight with Shogun, Machida looked like he didn't even want to be in the ring by the mid rounds. One of the worst decisions of alltime allowed to win that fight somehow but Shogun beat the fighting spirit right out of him in that fight.
One of the worst decisions of all-time? I thought Shogun won too but most people had it 48-47 either way, or maybe a draw. There are worse decisions on almost every card than that one.

Old
07-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Like Shogun in his fight with Jones? It goes both ways. I agree it was a terrible decision but its pretty safe to say neither fighter has been broken to the point of losing the desire to fight.

Old
07-27-2012, 07:35 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Yes but Shogun is ALWAYS injured, out of shape, coming off surgeries, and gone a long time without fighting. You can't use those as excuses when its likely those are just always going to be there.
Completely agree with this.

It's sad that we can't talk about a Shogun, Rampage, or BJ Penn fight anymore without mentioning their conditioning or if they're in shape or not. Couple of my all-time favourite fighters and it's not like they're that old.

Old
07-29-2012, 04:28 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Terrible decision please haha. The decision was warranted. It was a close fight not a terrible omg the bad guy won kinda fight. a terrible decision was Manny vs Bradley

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:56 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
That's a very good point.
Quote:
One of the worst decisions of all-time? I thought Shogun won too but most people had it 48-47 either way, or maybe a draw. There are worse decisions on almost every card than that one.
Maybe not a top 5 worst decision of all-time but not far off considering it was a title fight. Shogun won 4 rounds with the other being very close. Shogun landed more shots, better/harder shots and just destroyed his body with kicks. Machida looked like he didn't want to fight by the end of the match. He was completely shocked when they announced him as the winner and rightfully so. I watched the fight with about 12 other people most of whom were casual fans and as someone who had pumped the fight/sport up it was embarrassing. Everyone figured it had to be rigged.

There's definitely not worse decisions on every card. Maybe a few per year tops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Terrible decision please haha. The decision was warranted. It was a close fight not a terrible omg the bad guy won kinda fight. a terrible decision was Manny vs Bradley
Manny vs Bradley was much worse but you're either blind or biased if you don't think Shogun/Machida was a terrible decision.

Old
07-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Dana says the winner of the main event gets the next title shot.

I think most people have the same reaction Jones had when he heard about this....

Quote:
Scratching my head