*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2012, 06:45 PM
EvenSteven

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
That would be quite the D! The only problem with your lineup would be Fanelli. I see him as a Ranger for his OHL career and in the lineup. I see Spott and Co finding a spot for him even if we are stacked. But in that lineup I still have him over Genovese and McEneny.

IMO, with a top four of Murphy, Trouba, Sefton and Iafrate, Fanelli would be battling for icetime with the younger Genovese and McEneny. And historically, when you need younger guys to develop, the younger guys would prevail.

I'd slot Fanelli with Lorentz and Ming as decent OHLers, but like those guys, on a championship team, he'd be a player we could upgrade on. People may have to set aside being sentimental and consider that fact we are trying to build a winner. I doubt we deal for Sefton if Trouba reports. Therefore, this discussion may be moot.

But, in the event both players found their way to our roster, it would bump Fanelli out of the top four and maybe slate him as a player Spott would try and deal "for the sake of the player and getting him into a situation where he'd get more icetime. It has happened before, and will happen again, and I'd do it with Fanelli but only in this scenario.

My captain would be Thomson with AC, Murphy, and one of the two incoming OA's - whoever that may be.

I'm not surprised about Fanelli not being drafred or invited. He had a decent year but not to the point where he would have turned many NHL scouts heads - despite what Mike Farwell said. There is lots of room for improvement.

I'm not dumping on Fanelli here. I like the kid and wish him the best. I'm just calling it as I see it.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:39 PM
Phatpat88

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
IMO, with a top four of Murphy, Trouba, Sefton and Iafrate, Fanelli would be battling for icetime with the younger Genovese and McEneny. And historically, when you need younger guys to develop, the younger guys would prevail.

I'd slot Fanelli with Lorentz and Ming as decent OHLers, but like those guys, on a championship team, he'd be a player we could upgrade on. People may have to set aside being sentimental and consider that fact we are trying to build a winner. I doubt we deal for Sefton if Trouba reports. Therefore, this discussion may be moot.

But, in the event both players found their way to our roster, it would bump Fanelli out of the top four and maybe slate him as a player Spott would try and deal "for the sake of the player and getting him into a situation where he'd get more icetime. It has happened before, and will happen again, and I'd do it with Fanelli but only in this scenario.

My captain would be Thomson with AC, Murphy, and one of the two incoming OA's - whoever that may be.

I'm not surprised about Fanelli not being drafred or invited. He had a decent year but not to the point where he would have turned many NHL scouts heads - despite what Mike Farwell said. There is lots of room for improvement.

I'm not dumping on Fanelli here. I like the kid and wish him the best. I'm just calling it as I see it.
They would have won atleast 15 more games if they didn't have all the injuries

And can they please change who is calling the games on Rogers dicky was a goalie but he's the worse announcer

Old
07-24-2012, 09:28 PM
BenchedGuy

Quote:

I understand where your coming from and appreciate it. However, how the whole situation impacted the team and community I think this is a unique spot where you have to keep sentiment into the equation. Even if he would see 3rd pairing minutes on a stacked team, I still think you see Fanelli as a Ranger for his OHL career. But I agree with you as its somewhat of a moot point as I dont see that situation happening.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:18 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:

I'm not sentimental about Fanelli at all but I can see him easily as a top 3 d-man. Given that he missed two crucial years of his development plus the injury for him to overcome....well he did quite well.
This year after getting his feet wet last year I suspect he'll have an outstanding.

Old
07-25-2012, 10:27 AM
Tim Wallach

There is one thing I can virtually assure everyone on here:

Ben Fanelli is staying a Kitchener Ranger and will receive top-4 ice time until his OHL career is done.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:10 PM
Tim Wallach

And now Kitchener signs Blasby and Learn. The ranks of signed forwards are getting crowded. I know neither is guaranteed a spot on this year's team and Learn most likely will start in junior B, it does tip the Rangers' priorities. These two are obviously higher on their chart than some of the others at development camp and I'm not surprised.

Blasby was excellent at camp. In my books he was 3rd behind Schmalz and Llewellyn in terms of readiness. And Learn was a steal in the 7th round, who despite a mediocre camp, has good upside as a character guy.

And this all serves to both make main camp very interesting, and to re-affirm my certainty that more deals will happen (or have happened and will be announced) before camp. This team could look a lot different this year. But a lot of rookies can be risky.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:11 PM
Ward Cornell

Rangers signed two 2012 picks...Kegan Blasby and Ty Learn.

Quote:
Kitchener Rangers Head Coach and General Manager Steve Spott announced today that the team has signed forwards Ty Learn and Kegan Blasby to Ontario Hockey League contracts.
Blasby was chosen in the sixth round of the 2012 Ontario Hockey League Priority Selection by the Rangers. He spent the 2011-12 season with the Markham Waxers, recording 11 goals and 14 assists in 26 games played. The 16-year-old forward also attended Ontario's Under-17 Provincial Camp, held earlier this month in Cornwall.
"Kegan is a very effective two way player," notes Rangers' Director of Scouting Murray Hiebert. "His willingness to pursue the puck combined with his above-average offensive skill make him a welcome addition to the Rangers organization."
Learn was Kitchener's seventh round pick in the 2012 Priority Selection, and last played with the Southern Tier Admirals Minor Midget squad. The Niagara Falls, ON-native scored 16 goals and added 14 assists in 23 games over the 2011-12 season.
"In addition to being a strong skater, Ty possesses a hard shot," says Hiebert. "He is a hard hitting and tenacious player who will add a physical element to our lineup."

Player Name: Kegan Blasby
Hometown: Markham, ON
Birthdate: March 14, 1996
Height: 5.11.5
Weight: 183
Position: Right Wing / Centre
Shoots: R

Player Name: Ty Learn
Hometown: Niagara Falls, ON
Birthdate: April 19, 1996
Height: 5.10
Weight: 172
Position: Left Wing
Shoots: L
http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/arti...asby-and-learn

Old
07-25-2012, 02:28 PM
BenchedGuy

Wow. I realize the rookies we signed seem to have higher potential then years gone past but with all these signings one would have to think moves are going to be made sooner than later.

With Schmaltz, Llewellyn, Bailey, Blasby and Learn signed you have to think that the in betweeners (Clappit, Fransico, Lesway...) do not have a spot on the team anymore. Even if Blasby and Learn dont make the club out of camp, they have to be the first call up with injury. I see Schmaltz, Llewellyn and Bailey making the team out of camp (providing they dont mess the bed).

Definitely going to be an exciting next month and a bit.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
With Schmaltz, Llewellyn, Blasby and Learn signed
I believe that is the limit that the Rangers can sign for this season (someone confirm?).
While these may be rookies, it's not to hard to see that they would be an instant improvement over Lesway and Francisco.
I didn't include Clampitt since he was just an injury call-up and in all probability wouldn't be under serious consideration for the 2012 team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Blasby was excellent at camp. In my books he was 3rd behind Schmalz and Llewellyn in terms of readiness. And Learn was a steal in the 7th round, who despite a mediocre camp, has good upside as a character guy.
I concur on Blasby...I was very impressed with him.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:43 PM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
I believe that is the limit that the Rangers can sign for this season (someone confirm?).
While these may be rookies, it's not to hard to see that they would be an instant improvement over Lesway and Francisco. I didn't include Clampitt since he was just an injury call-up and in all probability wouldn't be under serious consideration for the 2012 team.
I included Clampitt for the only reason that when he was in the lineup, I liked what he brought more than Lesway and Francisco.

I know you can have 4 dressed. I dont know how the cards work though (A and B versus signed players)

I would think this would even be a wake up for players like Ming, Meighan Pedersen and Sterk. That there are players nipping at their heels if they dont perform, providing they are here in September.

Old
07-25-2012, 03:43 PM
hockeylegend11

A team can sign as many 16 year olds drafted as they wish but they can only register 4 with the league
ie 1st rder,2nd rder and 2 other 16 year old drafted players
The others signed cant play unless their season ends or during the start of the season prior to the NHL season,world juniors tourney or when their team is not playing up until 9 games played
Unless its been changed thats how I understand the rules

Old
07-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
A team can sign as many 16 year olds drafted as they wish but they can only register 4 with the league
ie 1st rder,2nd rder and 2 other 16 year old drafted players
The others signed cant play unless their season ends or during the start of the season prior to the NHL season,world juniors tourney or when their team is not playing up until 9 games played
Unless its been changed thats how I understand the rules
This is correct. And also, don't forget that Bailey doesn't count as he's a 1995.

Old
07-25-2012, 05:38 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
There is one thing I can virtually assure everyone on here:

Ben Fanelli is staying a Kitchener Ranger and will receive top-4 ice time until his OHL career is done.

Translation: Spott either trades for a top 4 d-man to replace Sol, or Trouba reports. Both obviously can't happen because Fanelli will be getting top 4 icetime.

Thanks for the inside info.

Old
07-25-2012, 08:40 PM
Hitman

Quote:
I'm not sentimental about Fanelli at all but I can see him easily as a top 3 d-man. Given that he missed two crucial years of his development plus the injury for him to overcome....well he did quite well.
This year after getting his feet wet last year I suspect he'll have an outstanding.
Bingo! Ben was clearly growing into a very very good D - man by the end of last season. No doubt he plays top 4 minutes next season.

Old
07-26-2012, 12:19 AM
JSavoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Bingo! Ben was clearly growing into a very very good D - man by the end of last season. No doubt he plays top 4 minutes next season.
I thought after watching many Rangers games that Ben improved steadily throughout the season with only a slower pace near the beginning. He looked relaxed, poised and confident latter half. He has more catching up to do but I'd stick with him on top 4 for sure.

Old
07-26-2012, 01:28 AM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post

That's tough to say when we really don't know who we'll have on defense this year. No doubt Spott upgrades the back end to replace Sol.

I ask, if we add, through trade (Sefton) and luck (Trouba), and Iafrate and Murphy remain on the roster, who drops to 5th d-man?

I ask this because even though Fanelli improved a lot over the course of last season, nothing is guaranteed. He could very well be the guy who replaces Sol's minutes, but I wouldn't bet on it.

We'll know more over the coming weeks once the trade freeze lifts. Spott should be looking to wheel and deal to improve this team even more then he has so far (Puempel).

Old
07-26-2012, 07:49 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
That's tough to say when we really don't know who we'll have on defense this year. No doubt Spott upgrades the back end to replace Sol.

I ask, if we add, through trade (Sefton) and luck (Trouba), and Iafrate and Murphy remain on the roster, who drops to 5th d-man?

I ask this because even though Fanelli improved a lot over the course of last season, nothing is guaranteed. He could very well be the guy who replaces Sol's minutes, but I wouldn't bet on it.
It's just my opinion but I think that both Iafrate and Fanelli are about even par with each other.

Old
07-26-2012, 08:45 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:

We'll know more over the coming weeks once the trade freeze lifts. Spott should be looking to wheel and deal to improve this team even more then he has so far (Puempel).
I really dont see Trouba coming this year. I also dont see Spott trading for a top 4D if he knew Trouba was coming. So I see it as very unlikely.

So as of right now does our lineup look something like this for the time being.

Puempel - Faksa - Reider
Thomsom -Marcantuoni - Sterk
Ming/Bailey - Bailey/Crescenzi - Pedersen
Schmalz - Ming/Meighan - Llewellyn

Murphy - Iafrate
Fanelli - McEneny
Genovese - Young

Gibson - Franky

???

Old
07-26-2012, 08:59 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
I really dont see Trouba coming this year. I also dont see Spott trading for a top 4D if he knew Trouba was coming. So I see it as very unlikely.

So as of right now does our lineup look something like this for the time being.

Puempel - Faksa - Reider
Thomsom -Marcantuoni - Sterk
Ming/Bailey - Bailey/Crescenzi - Pedersen
Schmalz - Ming/Meighan - Llewellyn

Murphy - Iafrate
Fanelli - McEneny
Genovese - Young

Gibson - Franky

???
What about Gilbert? Maybe I missed something but he's not in the mix on defence?

Old
07-26-2012, 09:17 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
What about Gilbert? Maybe I missed something but he's not in the mix on defence?
Sorry, forgot about him. Slot him in 5th spot and Genovese and Young fighting for 6th. But IIRC is Gilbert's name being mentioned as one on the move?

Old
07-26-2012, 09:28 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Sorry, forgot about him. Slot him in 5th spot and Genovese and Young fighting for 6th. But IIRC is Gilbert's name being mentioned as one on the move?
I understand he has a no-trade clause in his OHL contract.

Old
07-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
It's just my opinion but I think that both Iafrate and Fanelli are about even par with each other.
One thing to remember though in the debate about who is #3, 4, 5 is that the way the Rangers mix and match ice through the season, those roles are often a bit of a wash.

In Fanelli's case, he has a couple things going for him. One, he's a terrific PK guy and will be perhaps Spott's most trusted guy in that role. That's big extra minutes. And two, Spott loves the kid's leadership, calmness and accountability. That gives him an edge on Iafrate.

Old
07-26-2012, 09:44 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
I understand he has a no-trade clause in his OHL contract.
Could be. But if he is not able to get the minutes he feels he needs, he may want to be moved. Kitchener has been known to trade players to not hinder their development. See Prince, Aleardi....
Just see other D ahead of him, if he is happy with 5th D with some special teams time then great.

Old
07-26-2012, 09:46 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
One thing to remember though in the debate about who is #3, 4, 5 is that the way the Rangers mix and match ice through the season, those roles are often a bit of a wash.

In Fanelli's case, he has a couple things going for him. One, he's a terrific PK guy and will be perhaps Spott's most trusted guy in that role. That's big extra minutes. And two, Spott loves the kid's leadership, calmness and accountability. That gives him an edge on Iafrate.
Not to mention character! To come back from that horrific incident (many others would have simply quit) speaks HUGE to his character.

Old
07-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Phatpat88

They still lack alot of toughness and I see them tradeing some of the depth on d to get some of the toughness maybe trade grant so he can play with his bro to

Closed Thread