HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal signs Alex Galchenyuk to a three-year deal ($832,500/year + $2.3M P.Bonus )

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-26-2012, 09:18 AM
  #101
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!
 
Gabe84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,358
vCash: 500
The only thing that worries me about Galch is his knee. He has everything a hockey player needs, especially the drive, personality and work ethic. He will be one of the hardest working and most intense player in the whole league.

Not worried at all about the rest of his game.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:53 AM
  #102
Mr Rogers
Registered User
 
Mr Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumoki Dachiba View Post
[/B]

I don't know about that, in the early Gainey-era comparison you outlined it really looks like Galchenyuk is the new Kostitsyn. They have many similarities: 'franchise' expectations, not quite Russian, health concerns caused them to drop (not much though) in the draft, BIG (but really just 6-1 and solid) and supposedly among the most skilled in their draft.

Let's hope our new future franchise forward works out this time!
That's reaching a bit don't you think?

Apart from their physical atributes, I don't see much similarities honestly.

Mr Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:54 AM
  #103
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
The only thing that worries me about Galch is his knee. He has everything a hockey player needs, especially the drive, personality and work ethic. He will be one of the hardest working and most intense player in the whole league.

Not worried at all about the rest of his game.
Not me. The only thing that "irks" me is his lost year of development. He's a teen and knee surgeries heal up pretty well for a kid his age. But meh, I hear a lot of people saying that if not for the injury he would have went #1 overall... I guess we could have ended up with... Murray or TT? *shudder*

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:00 AM
  #104
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rogers View Post
That's reaching a bit don't you think?

Apart from their physical atributes, I don't see much similarities honestly.
Kostitsyn never had any franchise expectations either, but some people thought he could score 40 goals and 90 points in his prime.

The only similarities is that they are both kind of euro, one had epilepsy in his draft year the other a knee injury, and they are forwards. That's it.

And Galchenyuk is bigger at 18 than Kost at 28, could end up 1-2 inches taller when he matures.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:05 AM
  #105
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate
 
VirginiaMtlExpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Norfolk, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,207
vCash: 500
Not worried about anything except his knee. He has to wear a brace, as well as spend time rehabbing and strengthening it specifically, for the rest of his career, and make a point of doing exactly those two things.

Maria Sharapova had a career-threatening shoulder (rotator cuff) injury, during whose worst period she was not able to serve very well, causing her ranking to plummet, and through specific attention paid to joint, eventually became healthy again, which allowed her to return to number one earlier in 2012.

The same principle applies to that knee of Gally's.

VirginiaMtlExpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:10 AM
  #106
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Kingbobert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Greece
Posts: 4,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumoki Dachiba View Post
[/B]

I don't know about that, in the early Gainey-era comparison you outlined it really looks like Galchenyuk is the new Kostitsyn. They have many similarities: 'franchise' expectations, not quite Russian, health concerns caused them to drop (not much though) in the draft, BIG (but really just 6-1 and solid) and supposedly among the most skilled in their draft.

Let's hope our new future franchise forward works out this time!
but gally has a the drive and dedication to succeed that AK didnt. Also, gally's ceiling is much much higher than AKs was.

Galchenyuk is as if you took AK and infused him with Subban dna.
Super star skill sets and elite dedication drive and passion to/for hockey and training to become better and better.

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:20 AM
  #107
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaMtlExpat View Post
Not worried about anything except his knee. He has to wear a brace, as well as spend time rehabbing and strengthening it specifically, for the rest of his career, and make a point of doing exactly those two things.
He has to wear a knee brace for the rest of his career?

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:24 AM
  #108
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate
 
VirginiaMtlExpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Norfolk, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
He has to wear a knee brace for the rest of his career?
I'd rather err on the conservative side. Markov has had his share of tribulations with recurring knee injuries.

Gally will probably be targeted for a knee-on-knee at some point, if he fulfills his potential, especially in the playoffs. The brace will absorb much of the impact, and may leave the initiator of the hit with the worst of it.

That said, if I'm MB, I would also look into the best performing brace out there for my franchise player, and perhaps work with a biomechanicist on a novel design. Edit: if Gino can win an MVP award playing with a brace, what is the downside to wearing it for Gally?


Last edited by VirginiaMtlExpat: 07-27-2012 at 01:45 PM.
VirginiaMtlExpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:29 AM
  #109
Grant McCagg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
but gally has a the drive and dedication to succeed that AK didnt. Also, gally's ceiling is much much higher than AKs was.

Galchenyuk is as if you took AK and infused him with Subban dna.
Super star skill sets and elite dedication drive and passion to/for hockey and training to become better and better.
And Galchenyuk was born in the US, speaks several languages, and has played in NA since he was 15. when AK turned spoke no English and had never played in NA.

Hard to compare the two.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:03 AM
  #110
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Kingbobert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Greece
Posts: 4,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
And Galchenyuk was born in the US, speaks several languages, and has played in NA since he was 15. when AK turned spoke no English and had never played in NA.

Hard to compare the two.
yup...he has been in the NA system and has been raised more like a NA player than european.

His dad has pushed him and yakupov to succeed in all the right ways.
Again mr galchenyuk is like mr subban in that he sees his kids potential and instilled the values needed for them to reach their potential.

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:06 AM
  #111
Beendair Donedat
Registered User
 
Beendair Donedat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,678
vCash: 500
Not really. One has a excellent work ethic and the other is Andrei. I've never read an article about how hard Kostitsyn was working.

Also for those ripping on Desharnais... And saying he's a byproduct of Cole and Pacioretty. Cole set a career high in goals scored with 35 and equalled his point total with 61. This was a guy who played with Eric Staal before and was 32. And Pacioretty doubled his output coming off a broken neck and asked specifically for Desharnais saying that they had chemistry. Pretty hard to disagree.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:28 PM
  #112
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Kostitsyn never had any franchise expectations either, but some people thought he could score 40 goals and 90 points in his prime.

The only similarities is that they are both kind of euro, one had epilepsy in his draft year the other a knee injury, and they are forwards. That's it.

And Galchenyuk is bigger at 18 than Kost at 28, could end up 1-2 inches taller when he matures.
Kostitsyn has probably played around 220lb at some point and is very strong. No way Galchenyuk is bigger than him

They have similar built however. Must be the belarussian blood. Obviously the biggest difference lies between the ears.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 02:23 PM
  #113
Redux91
I do Three bullets.
 
Redux91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,383
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
The only thing that worries me about Galch is his knee. He has everything a hockey player needs, especially the drive, personality and work ethic. He will be one of the hardest working and most intense player in the whole league.

Not worried at all about the rest of his game.
Malkin tore his ACL the year before at age 24, and last year came back and scored 50, is his work ethic and commitment to the gym as big as galchenyuks, i dont know, but lets calm down on overblowing the knee

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Kostitsyn never had any franchise expectations either, but some people thought he could score 40 goals and 90 points in his prime.

The only similarities is that they are both kind of euro, one had epilepsy in his draft year the other a knee injury, and they are forwards. That's it.

And Galchenyuk is bigger at 18 than Kost at 28, could end up 1-2 inches taller when he matures.
Kostitsyn was a big..big dude..hes was only 6"0 but around 215, ..you should of seen his forearms and wrists in RL... hes a tough guy make no mistake

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:59 PM
  #114
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
Malkin tore his ACL the year before at age 24, and last year came back and scored 50, is his work ethic and commitment to the gym as big as galchenyuks, i dont know, but lets calm down on overblowing the knee



Kostitsyn was a big..big dude..hes was only 6"0 but around 215, ..you should of seen his forearms and wrists in RL... hes a tough guy make no mistake
I'd take him back in a heartbeat.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:31 PM
  #115
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Kostitsyn has probably played around 220lb at some point and is very strong. No way Galchenyuk is bigger than him

They have similar built however. Must be the belarussian blood. Obviously the biggest difference lies between the ears.
No way Galchenyuk is bigger? He's a full inch taller right now is what I meant. Weight wise, he's 195 so not far off. The thing I don't get about Kost is that he didn't get taller at all from the 6'0 frame he was drafted at, or was he shorter in his draft year? I expect Gally to grow a bit more at least.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:04 PM
  #116
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
No way Galchenyuk is bigger? He's a full inch taller right now is what I meant. Weight wise, he's 195 so not far off. The thing I don't get about Kost is that he didn't get taller at all from the 6'0 frame he was drafted at, or was he shorter in his draft year? I expect Gally to grow a bit more at least.
30 lbs. It's alot.

160 lbs to 190.
200 to 230.
its alot.
AK is made only of muscle.


AK was 6 200 when drafted.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:39 PM
  #117
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!
 
Gabe84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,358
vCash: 500
Kost is built like a tank. You watch highlights of him and he's unbelievable. I was watching those plays he made during Eller's 4 goal game against the Jets and god damn it it was beautiful.

He's not comparable to Galchenyuk at all, IMO. His biggest flaw was his focus. When there was an opening, he would make some unbelievable passes, or unleash some incredible shots. But very often, it's like he couldn't read the play very well, couldn't find a spot in the crease, couldn't understand what his teammates were doing... If you watch him over a whole season, you tend to forget just how great he is, but he can really make some nifty plays when he's on. He just isn't "on" very often.

He was "the" prospect when I started following the Habs and I've always rooted for him. It's sad to see him leave but in the end, he didn't really ever live up to the expectations. Part of me is glad he's gone if only because I won't have to endure having my hopes shattered every season.

Galchenyuk, once again, has all the qualities to be an NHLer. I don't think you can compare him to Kosti. I don't think he'll be as powerful on the ice, but he has great conditioning; he won't get pushed around either. I think he'll be very hard to take away from the puck, but he won't have the "steamrolling" part to his game that Kostitsyn would get out once in a while.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:09 PM
  #118
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
Kost is built like a tank. You watch highlights of him and he's unbelievable. I was watching those plays he made during Eller's 4 goal game against the Jets and god damn it it was beautiful.

He's not comparable to Galchenyuk at all, IMO. His biggest flaw was his focus. When there was an opening, he would make some unbelievable passes, or unleash some incredible shots. But very often, it's like he couldn't read the play very well, couldn't find a spot in the crease, couldn't understand what his teammates were doing... If you watch him over a whole season, you tend to forget just how great he is, but he can really make some nifty plays when he's on. He just isn't "on" very often.

He was "the" prospect when I started following the Habs and I've always rooted for him. It's sad to see him leave but in the end, he didn't really ever live up to the expectations. Part of me is glad he's gone if only because I won't have to endure having my hopes shattered every season.

Galchenyuk, once again, has all the qualities to be an NHLer. I don't think you can compare him to Kosti. I don't think he'll be as powerful on the ice, but he has great conditioning; he won't get pushed around either. I think he'll be very hard to take away from the puck, but he won't have the "steamrolling" part to his game that Kostitsyn would get out once in a while.
You're preaching to the quire though, I was one of Kostitsyn's biggest supporters and still am. But he was never advertised as a physical specimen in his draft year, he just became one over the course of his career. I remember the day he got laid out by Cole with a hit to the head like it was yesterday, but that play just can't happen any more because Kost learned how to be physical. Gally comes with the label as a player that's not afraid of going into traffic.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:14 PM
  #119
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
Kost is built like a tank. You watch highlights of him and he's unbelievable. I was watching those plays he made during Eller's 4 goal game against the Jets and god damn it it was beautiful.

He's not comparable to Galchenyuk at all, IMO. His biggest flaw was his focus. When there was an opening, he would make some unbelievable passes, or unleash some incredible shots. But very often, it's like he couldn't read the play very well, couldn't find a spot in the crease, couldn't understand what his teammates were doing... If you watch him over a whole season, you tend to forget just how great he is, but he can really make some nifty plays when he's on. He just isn't "on" very often.

He was "the" prospect when I started following the Habs and I've always rooted for him. It's sad to see him leave but in the end, he didn't really ever live up to the expectations. Part of me is glad he's gone if only because I won't have to endure having my hopes shattered every season.

Galchenyuk, once again, has all the qualities to be an NHLer. I don't think you can compare him to Kosti. I don't think he'll be as powerful on the ice, but he has great conditioning; he won't get pushed around either. I think he'll be very hard to take away from the puck, but he won't have the "steamrolling" part to his game that Kostitsyn would get out once in a while.
That goal where Eller just had to shove the puck in the net (2nd goal I think) must be one of the nicest play i have seen.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:11 PM
  #120
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate
 
VirginiaMtlExpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Norfolk, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
Malkin tore his ACL the year before at age 24, and last year came back and scored 50, is his work ethic and commitment to the gym as big as galchenyuks, i dont know, but lets calm down on overblowing the knee
Gino still wears the brace (Donjoy model). http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums...272-acl-brace/

No one is getting carried away in this discussion. I'm a university prof, calm by nature and suitably dispassionate in any discussion.

If I'm MB, I believe in doing my utmost to protect my assets, so I would make a strong case for the brace, especially, as I said, given that Gally will be targeted at that area of his anatomy.

VirginiaMtlExpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:30 PM
  #121
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
The only thing that worries me about Galch is his knee. He has everything a hockey player needs, especially the drive, personality and work ethic. He will be one of the hardest working and most intense player in the whole league.

Not worried at all about the rest of his game.
I'm no longer too worried about his knee. The thing he really needs to work on is his acceleration IMO. How great he will be depends a lot on that. Everything else about his game borders on the elite. His acceleration is very pedestrian though, but I think with some technique adjustments that could turn out great as well.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 06:00 AM
  #122
croAVSfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Country: Croatia
Posts: 699
vCash: 500
I can't find info so I think this is proper thread to ask Which country is Galy eligible to play for ? Belarus/Russia or USA ?

p.s. his father is Belarussian, not Russian...

croAVSfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 06:47 AM
  #123
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by croavsfan View Post
i can't find info so i think this is proper thread to ask which country is galy eligible to play for ? Belarus/russia or usa ?

P.s. His father is belarussian, not russian...
usa.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 06:50 AM
  #124
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!
 
Gabe84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by croAVSfan View Post
I can't find info so I think this is proper thread to ask Which country is Galy eligible to play for ? Belarus/Russia or USA ?

p.s. his father is Belarussian, not Russian...
His father was born during the Communist period, and back then, Belarus was (obviously) part of USSR. Odds are, his father is of Russian ethnicity. I used to work with a girl who was officially born in Latvia but she was born of Russian parents and considered herself Russian, not Latvian. She told me that the communist government would move the population a lot, especially to satellite countries to "Russianize" the population. Just speculating here, but it's probably the same case for Galchenyuk's father.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 07:48 AM
  #125
croAVSfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Country: Croatia
Posts: 699
vCash: 500
Thanks guys for clarification !

croAVSfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.