HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Matt Gilroy

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-25-2012, 02:33 PM
  #1
startainfection*
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 7,578
vCash: 500
Matt Gilroy

where does he end up?

i think he is very under rated, he is a tremendous skater and is a very accurate passer and will excel in the right match ups and in the right system

i would like to see the isles sign him as a depth d-man and it gives them another right handed d-man to work with, it also would allow one of the isles prospects to have more time to develop in the ahl

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 02:35 PM
  #2
Analyzer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,850
vCash: 50
He's small, he's soft and he's not very good defensively. He needs sheltered minutes in order to be somewhat effective. Probably go to Europe. I don't see him even being a MAB type player.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 02:41 PM
  #3
Jaromir Jagrbombs
Registered User
 
Jaromir Jagrbombs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 525
vCash: 500
Anywhere but Ottawa. *fingers crossed*

Jaromir Jagrbombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 02:45 PM
  #4
startainfection*
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 7,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
He's small, he's soft and he's not very good defensively. He needs sheltered minutes in order to be somewhat effective. Probably go to Europe. I don't see him even being a MAB type player.
he is 6 foot 2 inches, 205 pounds, that is like just above average for nhl d men, and i think h is a player that will excel in the right system

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 02:46 PM
  #5
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
He would fit right in with the Isles.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 02:58 PM
  #6
startainfection*
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 7,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
He would fit right in with the Isles.
you are probably saying it as a criticism but the way he plays and his past history makes it seems like the isles could benefit from getting him, he has the skill to put up 20 points if he played the full season and he gives them depth being that the isles have like no right handed d-men in b port and the 2 expected to be fighting for a spot next season are both left handed

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 03:01 PM
  #7
SpezDispenser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,289
vCash: 500
I'm not trying to be mean, but there's only one way to say this: he really, really sucks. There are better options in your favourite team's prospect pool.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 03:02 PM
  #8
davebenj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,343
vCash: 500
This Devils fan is hoping Europe. I never want them to have to play against him again. Dead serious. He might suck against every other team in the league but the minute he sees a Devils logo, he plays like he's Bobby Orr. He did it with the Rangers, Lighting and Senators

davebenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 03:04 PM
  #9
qwertyaas
LGR@
 
qwertyaas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,052
vCash: 500
He has no power in his shot, no physicality, and gets out muscled very often.

He's a smooth skater, that's about it.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 03:25 PM
  #10
TSA0402
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
you are probably saying it as a criticism but the way he plays and his past history makes it seems like the isles could benefit from getting him, he has the skill to put up 20 points if he played the full season and he gives them depth being that the isles have like no right handed d-men in b port and the 2 expected to be fighting for a spot next season are both left handed
If you are going for a quick fix to lose all of your hair, then by all means go ahead and sign Gilroy. Apart from being a pretty good skater, he doesn't really have any impressive hockey traits. He is a trainwreck defensively. His offensive skills aren't even that good, at all. Seems to never make a smart read with the puck, and if he does, it usually goes to the other team.

But if you want him, please take him before Bryan Murray goes senile and signs him.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 03:32 PM
  #11
Still All In
Plz stop pucks
 
Still All In's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
I'm not trying to be mean, but there's only one way to say this: he really, really sucks. There are better options in your favourite team's prospect pool.
I wouldn't quite say he sucks, but he is bad defensively. He skates well, has solid hands, and is a decent passer.

Reeeeeeally have to shelter the guy though.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:06 PM
  #12
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW
 
Neil Patrick Harris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,640
vCash: 50
The only time he managed to put one past a goalie in Ottawa was when he wasn't trying to do so.

The right system for him is any system other than Ottawa's. Feel free to pick him up and slot him in your top 4 plz.

Neil Patrick Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:10 PM
  #13
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers
 
Ih8theislanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,749
vCash: 500
He's....not good.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:21 PM
  #14
LightningStrikes
Moderator
Klutcherov
 
LightningStrikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 13,312
vCash: 500
He's a good passer, though:






LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:45 AM
  #15
startainfection*
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 7,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
He's a good passer, though:





this is exactly what makes me want him to be an islander

if they sign him the isles should have 5 dmen with ~25+ points, 1 of which should be over 50 points and one can bounce back and put up 60 but has less of a chance

also very under rated about him is that he has never been a minus player in any of his 4 nhl seasons

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:50 AM
  #16
SpezDispenser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
I wouldn't quite say he sucks, but he is bad defensively. He skates well, has solid hands, and is a decent passer.

Reeeeeeally have to shelter the guy though.
I thought he was really poor for us in Ottawa. I was surprised at how there was only a flash of offence every third or fourth game he played - and that he was a liability defensively the entire time.

I have no ill will towards him, but if I was a team out there looking to sign him...I wouldn't.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:51 AM
  #17
H2O
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,749
vCash: 50
Anywhere but Ottawa please.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:51 AM
  #18
Fire Julien
Registered User
 
Fire Julien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bergen
Country: Norway
Posts: 19,934
vCash: 500
Edmonton.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:54 AM
  #19
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?
 
Powdered Toast Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,676
vCash: 500
He's an NHL player, albeit a poor one, in my book.

That Gilroy is a hockey player.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:56 AM
  #20
Halibut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebenj View Post
This Devils fan is hoping Europe. I never want them to have to play against him again. Dead serious. He might suck against every other team in the league but the minute he sees a Devils logo, he plays like he's Bobby Orr. He did it with the Rangers, Lighting and Senators
Maybe they should sign him then, get to see that NJ logo every night.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:56 AM
  #21
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,336
vCash: 500
I'm going to say that the majority of Ottawa posters in this thread will probably overreact at how bad Gilroy is... but that being said, he's still, AT BEST, a #6 who probably will do more to hurt you than help you. He never got a fair shake in Ottawa, but never really did anything with the chances he got, either. Wasn't as bad as some Sens fans will advertize, but that's like saying he's a dry, tasteless overcooked steak instead of a rotting hunk of infected beef.

Guy looks like a regular NHL defenceman for long stretches of a game, and then makes just the most ridiculous brainfart, mental-lapse of a play you could possibly imagine.

There are probably better guys out there for you right now. I'd take Campoli over Gilroy if I had to choose right now, and that's saying something.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:04 AM
  #22
startainfection*
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 7,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I'm going to say that the majority of Ottawa posters in this thread will probably overreact at how bad Gilroy is... but that being said, he's still, AT BEST, a #6 who probably will do more to hurt you than help you. He never got a fair shake in Ottawa, but never really did anything with the chances he got, either. Wasn't as bad as some Sens fans will advertize, but that's like saying he's a dry, tasteless overcooked steak instead of a rotting hunk of infected beef.

Guy looks like a regular NHL defenceman for long stretches of a game, and then makes just the most ridiculous brainfart, mental-lapse of a play you could possibly imagine.

There are probably better guys out there for you right now. I'd take Campoli over Gilroy if I had to choose right now, and that's saying something.
campoli will never be an islander again

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:06 AM
  #23
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck
 
Nabokov20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,689
vCash: 50
can't play defense
doesn't shoot the puck with any regularity...probably cause his slapper is weaksauce
doesn't hit
can make a tape-to-tape pass out of the zone
decent skater
eats babies

basically you're left with a soft bottom 6 guy that has numerous brain farts in the defensive end

Nabokov20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:12 AM
  #24
CaptainObvi0us
HFB Partner
 
CaptainObvi0us's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 968
vCash: 500
He's certainly not a top 4 dman in this league and never will be unless he gets 100% defensively. But, he's nowhere near as bad as people in this thread are making him out to be.

Someone should even give him some extra ice time at forward, where he was tried in very limited dosages while he was in NY a few times.

I see a team like the Isles or CBJ adding him to see how it works out. Low risk signing at this point

CaptainObvi0us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:28 AM
  #25
startainfection*
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 7,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
He's certainly not a top 4 dman in this league and never will be unless he gets 100% defensively. But, he's nowhere near as bad as people in this thread are making him out to be.

Someone should even give him some extra ice time at forward, where he was tried in very limited dosages while he was in NY a few times.

I see a team like the Isles or CBJ adding him to see how it works out. Low risk signing at this point
how do you think he did as a forward?

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.