HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part V

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2012, 10:18 PM
aemoreira1981

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzikMachine View Post
An article in the Times questioning the abilty for the Seattle group to land an NHL team, http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...adeals19m.html.

Intersting that no NHL franchises are named, even though there are franchises with finanical (Coyotes) or arena (Islanders) issues.
In the case of Seattle, however, you might need a new building before the NBA or NHL will consider. The sightlines for hockey are wretched at KeyArena. The NBA could play there temporarily, but no hockey team could.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:54 PM
MuzikMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
In the case of Seattle, however, you might need a new building before the NBA or NHL will consider. The sightlines for hockey are wretched at KeyArena. The NBA could play there temporarily, but no hockey team could.
It's a chicken & egg scenario. The base premise of the article is that there needs to be an NHL team for it to be viable, so the inference is that construction won’t begin until there is an NBA and NHL team. However others believe that the NHL would not consider Seattle until the arena is complete.

These boards have debated the extent to which that will play out; for example Hansen has indicated he would consider construction with was one of the NHL/NBA teams while Bill Daily is on record in saying that Key Arena could serve as temporary venue. We’ll see what actually happens.

Old
07-25-2012, 04:41 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Dave Softy Mahler ‏@Softykjr

Breaking Arena News: Confirmed Wayne Gretzky in town, set to meet with Bellevue officials about NHL possibilities.

Put more pressure on Seattle.

Old
07-25-2012, 06:28 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Dave Softy Mahler ‏@Softykjr

Breaking Arena News: Confirmed Wayne Gretzky in town, set to meet with Bellevue officials about NHL possibilities.

Put more pressure on Seattle.
I was listening in to the Yankees radio broadcast of the Mariners game (via MLB.TV) and they mentioned Gretzky was there at the game this afternoon and I wasn't sure what to make of it, but this is a good piece of info, superdeluxe. My first reaction to this is I would say that it is an extremely interesting development, and one that should put some bigtime pressure on Seattle.

Mahler it appears may be the only person in this town with this; I just checked Daniels' Twitter feed and nothing. He's not posted a lot in the last couple of weeks, maybe he's on vacation??

Last edited by snovalleyhockeyfan: 07-25-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old
07-25-2012, 07:38 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Just went back to Mahler's Twitter page and it appears several folks have re-tweeted this. We may see a news story or two on this before the end of the week.

Meanwhile, in another item, the Times has another anti-arena editorial out this afternoon, questioning the fast pace of action on the part of the county Council on this (and this is despite the Times not understanding the county has nowhere near the amount of 'skin' (tax money) in this game the city does).

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...it26arena.html

Old
07-25-2012, 08:02 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

The stranger (the city's most liberal paper). Supports the arena and called out the times

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/b...t?oid=14272810

Old
07-25-2012, 08:03 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Also speculation that Gretzky might be meeting with Bellevue investors in regards to NHL team. Still would like don levin as primary owner

Old
07-25-2012, 08:06 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Sno the sports editor at the Vancouver sun was poking around the story, he might have something about this

Old
07-25-2012, 08:09 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

NBC has picked it up:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-seattle-area/

Old
07-25-2012, 08:19 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Bellevue reporter:

http://www.bellevuereporter.com/news...ml?mobile=true

Serious and ongoing talks

Old
07-25-2012, 09:13 PM
gstommylee

I'll be honest all this talk what not means nothing unless a proposal comes out.

Old
07-25-2012, 09:20 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
I'll be honest all this talk what not means nothing unless a proposal comes out.
You're right, but this is a rather interesting development, in any case, so of course it's going to raise a few eyebrows.

I would beg a guess that Bellevue is going to wait until after Seattle makes its decision before it makes anything public. That said, if investors are working to at least get Gretzky's endorsement for it, it could be a bit of a game-changer that may, as superdeluxe noted earlier, put additional pressure on the Seattle side.

It will be interesting to pay attention to this one for the next 24-48 hours or so.

Old
07-25-2012, 09:24 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Sno the sports editor at the Vancouver sun was poking around the story, he might have something about this
Thanks for the tip. Looking at their website and their Twitter feed, nothing. But we'll see as time goes on. As word of this leaks out, especially north of the border, this one may get some attention.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:41 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 4937
Yes, Gretzky as a player did help hockey in LA. But given his role in Phoenix, I wouldn't touch him with a 3.048 metre pole as part of management.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:01 AM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
Yes, Gretzky as a player did help hockey in LA. But given his role in Phoenix, I wouldn't touch him with a 3.048 metre pole as part of management.
Yes, I think that is a fair statement, KK. But, here's my thinking on this. Bellevue I think is getting ready to put a formal proposal out there - I suspect, as I said before, they will not make that public unless and until Seattle's council says no, and my guess is there are people within the Bellevue discussions that may have heard info from the Seattle side suggesting that will be case when all is said and done. So Gretzky's name alone in an endorsement capacity could bring in investors who would otherwise be on the fence or not in it. Remember, the big issues for Bellevue are:

-Site
-Investors

Whether Gretzky would end up being in a management capacity is something that is so far out in the long term it's not even worth discussing at this point. But if Gretzky lends his name, and a few of his own $$ to it, that could be enough for the city and the business leaders working on it to sell this proposal to more skeptical folks and get them into this.

Again, the thing to remember, KK, is what superdeluxe said in his introductory post reporting this, that this will hopefully put pressure on the Seattle council to swallow their pride and vote yes.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:25 AM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Aaron Levine on Q13 last night:

http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-bell...,5506181.story

Led their evening news. Good analysis BTW from Levine.

Old
07-26-2012, 08:04 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Having gretzky's name attached just might give enough juice to drum up investors

Old
07-26-2012, 11:37 AM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Having gretzky's name attached just might give enough juice to drum up investors
Look at the last team that Gretzky had his name attached to in a non-player role. Not so sure a Gretzky connection makes for a good outcome.

Last edited by MoreOrr: 07-26-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old
07-26-2012, 12:04 PM
STARMAXX
Shi Shi Shawww

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Look at the last team that Gretzky had his name attached to in a non-player role. Not so sure a Gretzky connection makes for outcome.
To be fair, nobody should have expected Gretzky to "save/revive" the Coyotes as the Part-Owner/Head Coach. Especially now, given all the information that has come out about how mismanaged the Coyotes have been since their existence. He had way too much on his plate in managing his players/staff and the day to day stuff that comes with it. Remember that the Coyotes job was the ONLY experience Gretz had in professional coaching/management, and that in itself is a good reason why it didn't work out. I believe that if Gretzky wanted to grow the game in the desert he should have had stayed a management role rather than coaching. Although, I think he should have avoided the Coyotes altogether (personal opinion).

Having the greatest hockey player ever support trying to expand (or relocate) a team to a new area (Seattle) is great. Just don't hinge everything on him like was done in Phoenix and you should be ok.

Old
07-26-2012, 12:15 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Look at the last team that Gretzky had his name attached to in a non-player role. Not so sure a Gretzky connection makes for outcome.

Gretzky was there on Don Levin's behalf.

Old
07-26-2012, 12:21 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

CBS SPorts has now picked up on the story:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...lities-in-area

This is from Canada (Quebec?) Its in French:

http://fr.canoe.ca/sports/nouvelles/...26-113300.html

Old
07-26-2012, 01:12 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 50
hmmm.... things have gotten a tad bit more interesting as of late, I see....

Old
07-26-2012, 01:27 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
hmmm.... things have gotten a tad bit more interesting as of late, I see....
County Council to vote on Monday....

Old
07-26-2012, 03:37 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Chris Hansen just said on the radio that if his sodo fall through that there will be a arena built in the seattle area in the next 3-4 years.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:45 PM
gstommylee

via @AaronQ13Fox

Agent (Blake) tells me that Gretzky was guest of Jeter and A-Rod at Safeco; so reports are blown out of proportion #NHL #Bellevue

So it ended up being a bunch of nothing.

Closed Thread