HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Minnesota #5 Prospect

View Poll Results: Who is the #5 Minnesota Wild Prospect?
Brett Bulmer 7 5.98%
Raphael Bussieres 0 0%
Tyler Cuma 0 0%
John Draeger 0 0%
Adam Gilmour 0 0%
Johan Gustafsson 1 0.85%
Matt Hackett 10 8.55%
Erik Haula 0 0%
Steven Kampfer 0 0%
Darcy Kuemper 0 0%
Johan Larsson 59 50.43%
Mario Lucia 1 0.85%
Zack Phillips 6 5.13%
Jason Zucker 33 28.21%
Other (please explain) 0 0%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-26-2012, 10:55 AM
BagHead

vCash: 500
I went Bulmer the two times before this, but I have Larsson and him on basically the same level, so I went Larsson this time.

BagHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:58 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
What's there not to like about him?
I wasn't at all impressed with him at the scrimmages. His ceiling may be higher than some others, but out of all of the possibles in the "top 10" here...

Hell, I was more impressed with Seeler's "hockey IQ".

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:04 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Oh noes, the scrimmages!

Oh wait, you voted for Coyle as #3 even though he had an even worse scrimmage than Dumba despite being two years older and having already had a couple under his belt...

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
I wasn't at all impressed with him at the scrimmages. His ceiling may be higher than some others, but out of all of the possibles in the "top 10" here...

Hell, I was more impressed with Seeler's "hockey IQ".
I understand the skepticism with Dumba but the scrimmages by themselves isn't the reason.

All year, his flaw in his game was his decision making and he didn't show any different during the developmental camp.

I do think Coyle and Larsson are better prospects, but understand that Dumba brings alot to like. We're just lucky enough to have some many talented prospects all in one go...

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:21 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
I understand the skepticism with Dumba but the scrimmages by themselves isn't the reason.

All year, his flaw in his game was his decision making and he didn't show any different during the developmental camp.

I do think Coyle and Larsson are better prospects, but understand that Dumba brings alot to like. We're just lucky enough to have some many talented prospects all in one go...
The word on the street is that his problem is that he tries to do too much sometimes.....which can be easily fixed.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:25 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post

Which is another reason why I'm not as high as others on him, as this is what I personally appreciate more in a player than most other aspects.

From the few streams I watched for some of the "top 10" that we are voting for here, when it comes to strong decision making, even while exhausted, my tops would be:
Brodin, Granlund, Coyle, Larsson, Phillips, Zucker and then Seeler.
From a pure skill combined with the IQ aspect, the only flip flop would be at the top between Granlund and Brodin. Seeler would drop a little because his skill isn't as great as his awareness.

As for Coyle not having a good scrimmage? His intangibles out weighed his scoresheet. Always in the right place, going into open areas, digging and winning board battles... I'd fault his linemates more than Coyle for occasionally being "invisible".

Tough to see on a steam, I bet, but he would go into the open area (or create that opening himself) ... I like that, because a nifty play maker would capitalize on that skill...

Again, though... I have given up trying to "argue" on the internet. That hearkens back to the WMB days when logic and reason would fall sloppy dead.

/shrug

Old
07-26-2012, 11:31 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Anyone saying that Coyle's "intangibles" were good during the scrimmage didn't watch or is lying to themselves. He was bad, in every way imaginable. Most people have given him a pass on it because it's just a scrimmage, and one that's not really set up to take advantage of "his game" but he barely could handle any play against the incredibly weak competition in the scrimmage, and didn't make good decisions while there. But yeah, it's totally just the fault of the player you've voted for here that he did so poorly. Keep layering on the logic there...

Old
07-26-2012, 11:37 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Dude... You use less logic than anyone on these boards. Your policy style of debate is getting tired and worn out. The fact that you like to say more than anyone else in an argument, while taking cheap, illogical shots at other posters in order to twist the semantic meaning of an argument is more reminiscent of the old WMBs than anything else.

Were you in the arena or did you watch it on the stream?

Being in the arena, I saw Coyle;
Winning board battles.
Going into empty spaces.
Creating space for himself.

Granted, I was watching the defense more closely than the forwards.

Old
07-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Dude... You use less logic than anyone on these boards. Your policy style of debate is getting tired and worn out. The fact that you like to say more than anyone else in an argument, while taking cheap, illogical shots at other posters in order to twist the semantic meaning of an argument is more reminiscent of the old WMBs than anything else.

Winning board battles.
Going into empty spaces.

That's what I saw too.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:52 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
That's what I saw too.
My guess is that you didn't watch or are lying to yourself.

Old
07-26-2012, 11:54 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:

Winning board battles.
Going into empty spaces.

Talking to yourself again I see.

As for the scrimmages, allegedly he was better in the Sunday scrimmage (which I didn't get to meaningfully watch) but I'll let GS make the point for me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopher State
Charlie Coyle - While it's a scrimmage, he was mostly invisible outside of the occasional scramble along the boards or play with Johan Larsson. Things were so bad that after a five minute stretch in the second half I had to check and make sure Coyle wasn't injured. That's not what you want to see out of a player who led the QMJHL in playoff scoring and highlighted a bigger problem among Team White forwards, a lack of chemistry. Other than Kris Foucault and Tyler Groavac the last 5 minutes, no one seemed to find a rhythm and shows why they struggled in the first half.
Coyle played very poorly in the scrimmage. But yet you've laid blame for that (in your post) firmly at the feet of the player you're voting for now. Let's use logic for half a second here (although the lack of logic on WMB was clearly a symptom of your posting, not despite it).

Old
07-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Dee Oh Cee

This is heading down a promising path

Dee Oh Cee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
My guess is that you didn't watch or are lying to yourself.
Everything else aside, he obviously wasn't playing with his full arsenal of physicality during the scrimmages. But he did do a lot of the little things right. His goal during the Thursday game was about him finding an open, soft spot beside the net for the cross-crease pass from Foucault.

Edit: Haha. Squidz dick-mode...ENGAGED.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:01 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Edit: Haha. Squidz dick-mode...ENGAGED.
What? I have no idea what you mean... /facepalm

Old
07-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1000
When squidz starts arguing, just post this picture:

Edit: Oh yeah, I voted Lohan Jarsson.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Wildfan10*

i went with Zucker. I like larsson too but i guess i haven't seen enough of him. I liked how Zucker looked at the scrimmage and he dominated the beavers when we played them last fall. I'm just hoping he turns into a pure goal scorer that we've been lacking since Gaborik.

Wildfan10* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:11 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
As for the scrimmages, allegedly he was better in the Sunday scrimmage (which I didn't get to meaningfully watch) but I'll let GS make the point for me:
So you didn't see him in any meaningful way on Sunday, where he was a helluvalot more dominate, and I'm the fool. Got it.

The white team was crap in the first half on Thursday. The second half, they were better, chemistry developed. However, since they announced Coyle's goal as Graovac, I suppose he didn't score either?

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Coyle played very poorly in the scrimmage. But yet you've laid blame for that (in your post) firmly at the feet of the player you're voting for now. Let's use logic for half a second here (although the lack of logic on WMB was clearly a symptom of your posting, not despite it).
You watched a stream of the Thursday scrimmage and you didn't (in a meaningful way) watch the stream of the Sunday scrimmage. I was in arena for both of them. Yet, you accuse me of not using logic?

You: I watched a stream. First half of Thursday, Coyle sucked, therefore Coyle played very poorly in ALL of the scrimmage. Anyone that disagrees with me is either lying to themselves or didn't watch.

I do not expect you to see the logic failure here, but I do expect you to fall back to name calling and arguing nothing but semantics. I also expect you to draw a concrete generality based on an extremely limited set of data.

Last edited by Jarick: 07-26-2012 at 12:14 PM. Reason: flaming
Old
07-26-2012, 12:15 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
I'd like to know the reasoning behind voting for Gustafsson and Lucia before Hackett, Larsson, and Zucker.
Because of his dad

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:45 PM
FVM
Screaming seagulls

Johan Larsson, easily. The fact he is about to become #5 prospect in our pool speaks volumes about the quality of this regime's drafting.

FVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Wildfish

Quote:

Winning board battles.
Going into empty spaces.
Not trying to jump into anyone's argument, just IMO - I watched the Sunday scrimmage. I thought Coyle was solid; I'd use the same terms, won battles along the boards and used his size well. I thought the Larsen-Coyle-Brussiers was the best line on either team on Sunday.

Wildfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Wildfish

Coyle leading Zucker at 2-1 ratio. So far no close battles. But where will the majority of the herd go next? I'm tipping my hand, not that anyone cares, but I'm anxious to vote for Bulmer next. Last year I don't think he got quite the love he deserved. IMO it's highly likely he's going to be a solid, physcial 3rd Liner who can chip in a few NHL goals for a long time.

Wildfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Kari Takko

I voted last night and can't really remember who I voted for. I think it was Larsson. I like rating prospects, but I take a pretty objective view to it as some people weigh different skills and positions differently.

How great is it though, that we're on the #5 prospect and we still have so many promising youngsters to choose from? If I was a FA, these prospects and $98,000,000 would definitely get me to sign here.

Last edited by Kari Takko: 07-26-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
When squidz starts arguing, just post this picture:

We're not gonna do your work for you.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Freitag View Post
I voted last night and can't really remember who I voted for. I think it was Larsson. I like rating prospects, but I take a pretty objective view to it as some people weigh different skills and positions differently.

How great is it though, that we're on the #5 prospect and we still have so many promising youngsters to choose from? If I was a FA, these prospects and $98,000,000 would definitely get me to sign here.
You voted for Larsson, you can click on the vote number and see who voted for who.

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Kari Takko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
You voted for Larsson, you can click on the vote number and see who voted for who.
Just realized that the guy you vote for is in italics. I guess you learn something new every day.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote