HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XLVI All talk from around the league here

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2012, 08:38 PM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
The Out of Town Thread part XLVI All talk from around the league here

Continue here.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
07-26-2012, 08:52 AM
Roulin

vCash: 500
I don't know if anyone else heard Pierre McGuire say yesterday on the radio that the Nash acquisition would be worth a goal per game improvement to the Rangers?! It's hard to imagine this kind of guesswork informing the decisions of an NHL GM. If the Rangers score 308 goals next year, I'll eat crow... but they won't.

Old
07-26-2012, 08:58 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I don't know if anyone else heard Pierre McGuire say yesterday on the radio that the Nash acquisition would be worth a goal per game improvement to the Rangers?! It's hard to imagine this kind of guesswork informing the decisions of an NHL GM. If the Rangers score 308 goals next year, I'll eat crow... but they won't.
Pierre McGuire comes off as not very smart.

Old
07-26-2012, 09:02 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
McGuire says a lot of stuff without thinking it through.

Old
07-26-2012, 09:09 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
McGuire says a lot of stuff without thinking it through.
You're giving him too much credit by assuming he didn't think it through.

Old
07-26-2012, 09:14 AM
WestIslander

Pierre McGuire said that Columbus did not get the best player in the deal (NO ****!) and that they got robbed, he also said that Nash will fly in Manhattan and is very good defensivly as well.

He also stated that Doan will not sign in Montreal and he is using Montreal as levarage to get more money from New York or Philadelphia, he also stated that New York is the leading team to land Doan.

Old
07-26-2012, 09:25 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Pierre McGuire said that Columbus did not get the best player in the deal (NO ****!) and that they got robbed, he also said that Nash will fly in Manhattan and is very good defensivly as well.

He also stated that Doan will not sign in Montreal and he is using Montreal as levarage to get more money from New York or Philadelphia, he also stated that New York is the leading team to land Doan.
Just looked at NYR's cap status. Pretty impressive they got all that cap space with the roster they have with only Del Zotto and Stralman to re-sign. Wouldn't be surprised if they landed Doan. Probably his best chance at a cup.

Old
07-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post

The part about Doan makes sense to me. That is a strength of McGuire's, his friends around the league and the info he gets from them. It's his ability to think logically that I find lacking, that would scare me if he were GM of my favourite team.

Old
07-26-2012, 09:37 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
He is off his rocker. I think Nash's impact in NYR is hugely overrated. I think he'll spend time in the doghouse but have a decent year around 35-35-70. He'll improve their offense by 20-25 at best.

Old
07-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
Just looked at NYR's cap status. Pretty impressive they got all that cap space with the roster they have with only Del Zotto and Stralman to re-sign. Wouldn't be surprised if they landed Doan. Probably his best chance at a cup.
If they sign Doan for 3-4 years they'll end up in a cap crunch. They already lost some depth and having to sign McDonagh Del Zotto Gaborik Callahan Stepan Hagelin Girardi and Lundquist to extensions in the next 2-3 summers.

Old
07-26-2012, 10:03 AM
The Right Price

NYR is looking to end up in a Chicago-esque situation. Their best chance at the cup is the two next seasons.

Old
07-26-2012, 10:04 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If they sign Doan for 3-4 years they'll end up in a cap crunch. They already lost some depth and having to sign McDonagh Del Zotto Gaborik Callahan Stepan Hagelin Girardi and Lundquist to extensions in the next 2-3 summers.
So? They can win a cup this year and dump players next year. The new NHL model. Get used to it.

Old
07-26-2012, 10:18 AM
gusfring

It's hilarious when people say the Flyers and/or Rangers are going to be in cap crunch. For teams where winning is the #1 priority, this NEVER happens.

It's a myth.

Old
07-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
And who says they won't move any of those players and restock on picks and prospects. + they can always find a sucker like us to take on a bad contract or unlike us aren't afraid to send down a player in the minor.

Old
07-26-2012, 10:24 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
It's hilarious when people say the Flyers and/or Rangers are going to be in cap crunch. For teams where winning is the #1 priority, this NEVER happens.

It's a myth.
This is true, they seem to always have an escape plan...cap management is not an easy thing to do these days...

Old
07-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post

It's a myth.
I guess you're alluding to the willingness to bury the worst players making serious money in the AHL? At least Bryz has a NMC, that should give us some hope! So does Richards, should his skills leave him by the time he's 40.

Old
07-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
I guess you're alluding to the willingness to bury the worst players making serious money in the AHL? At least Bryz has a NMC, that should give us some hope! So does Richards, should his skills leave him by the time he's 40.
Could happen sooner than that. He didn't exactly have an exceptional season.

I didn't like that contract when it was signed, I'm still not a fan of it. Way too risky to sign a 31 years old to a 9 years contract.

Old
07-26-2012, 10:35 AM
BLONG7

Looks like the Rangers have about a 2 year window to win the Cup, before the cap causes them some real grief...but still they have some very good players under contract right now...definitely up there with the Pens to win the East...

Old
07-26-2012, 10:38 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Price View Post
NYR is looking to end up in a Chicago-esque situation. Their best chance at the cup is the two next seasons.
not really,
they still have 13 millions left to sign stralman and del zotto
Next season, they'll have
stepan, Hagelin, McDonagh and Sauer to sign as RFA

Only 3 players are signed for the next 3 seasons (nash, richards, staal)

Old
07-26-2012, 10:55 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
So? They can win a cup this year and dump players next year. The new NHL model. Get used to it.
I think their defense is to young and not deep enough to win next year.

Old
07-26-2012, 11:55 AM
shutehinside

Nash will absolutely KILL it in NY. Playing for a winner, with a supporting cast, a proven coach and in that environment, Id expect 80-90 points from him next year, seriously. This guy will thrive in his new environment.

Old
07-26-2012, 12:02 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
I think their defense is to young and not deep enough to win next year.
I think we have a lot more problems on our blue line than the Rags do on theirs

Old
07-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I think we have a lot more problems on our blue line than the Rags do on theirs
Except we're talking about cup contenders, so why bring the Habs into the discussion?

It is a legit concern. They do have a young defense. But they have Playoff experience now. The way I see it, the big factor into this equation is MDZ. If he finally plays up to his potential next season, the Rangers will have one of the best defense in the NHL imo and anything less than conference finals would be a disappointment.

I'm guessing most aren't feeling the same way, but I am pretty excited about seeing Nash in action more often. Such a skilled player.

Old
07-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Nash will absolutely KILL it in NY. Playing for a winner, with a supporting cast, a proven coach and in that environment, Id expect 80-90 points from him next year, seriously. This guy will thrive in his new environment.
Then how come it worked the opposite for Richards? His numbers took a big hit. NYR plays a more defensive style and their coach gets on everybody at some point.

Old
07-26-2012, 12:24 PM
akratique

Quote:
Then how come it worked the opposite for Richards? His numbers took a big hit. NYR plays a more defensive style and their coach gets on everybody at some point.

Exactly. Torts has them playing D first hockey. I'll be very surprised if he breaks the 30 goal barrier.

Closed Thread