HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Matt Gilroy

Old
07-26-2012, 10:32 AM
Declan
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
I don't recall to be honest and I do know that at least as a NYR it was very limited. He has the skating and the offensive skills I think, so I think if given a legit chance (not just 2 mins in a couple of games) that he would likely be fairly decent. I know in NY it was when the Rangers had an abundance of 3rd/4th liners returning from injury that although it was tested, it was very minimal before a grittier winger got their job back

Declan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:58 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

I was always willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

But he's ****ing terrible.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:02 AM
RyanCallahan24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
He's a good passer, though:

Oh I see what you did there...

Maybe this would interest you?

RyanCallahan24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:08 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCallahan24 View Post
Oh I see what you did there...

Maybe this would interest you?

i think gomez does actually need a change in scenery more then anything, some team should pick him up when he has to go through re-entry waivers

startainfection is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:22 PM
LyNX27

Gilroy has the ability to be all that, just physically he is lacking. I'm not sure if it's "compete" level or if hes just much weaker then the average NHL'er but the skills are there.

Gets beat up and hassled along the boards.
Avoids the dirty areas of the ice.
His shot couldn't break saran wrap.
Is soft in his own end (Serious lack of hitting)
Is prone to gaffes in his own end.

Honestly if he puts some weight and mans up over the offseason, gets a little bit of an aggressive mind set and works on his shot he should be a great serviceable creative D-man with above average skating. There lies the problem...

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Declan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
i think gomez does actually need a change in scenery more then anything, some team should pick him up when he has to go through re-entry waivers
Or ... trade him for a top defensive prospect

Declan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 05:38 PM
StrBender

This is what happens when you convert a forward into a Dman so he can play in college. You end up with a player that's average at everything, except for his skating. He's a great lesson about having the determination to succeed. Look at how many times he was past over/cut in T III Juniors. To starting out as a walk on at BU, then signing with the Rangers. It takes a lot for someone to continue, like he did. However, I'm glad the Bruins are set at D

StrBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 06:56 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

So does Ottawa wish they could redo the Lee - Gilroy trade?

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 08:05 PM
mstad101

If he was willing to accept a deal around 950k and for 1 year. I'd accept him as a #7 in Vancouver. We have a depth Dman for strength and hitting, what we don't have is one with some offense to his game.
Also would at least some what push Tanev for ice time if he starts to faulter

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 08:37 PM
bacon25

Don't listen to most Ottawa fans, (I am one of them so take what i say with a grain of salt) but he played very few minutes and was used as the sacrifical goat whenever the team lost. He is not a game-changer but if a team is in need of a puck moving defenseman than he would be a cheap pick-up. Edmonton would be a good place for him possibly since they are looking for defenseman.

Most Ottawa fans are upset cause they liked Lee so Gilroy was screwed from the start.

bacon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:27 AM
AimForTopCheddar
04 Bolts/Flames!

If someone could've teach him. it would've been Lidstrom

AimForTopCheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:50 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanOberg View Post
So does Ottawa wish they could redo the Lee - Gilroy trade?
fans? yeah.

organization? It seems they were set to let lee go anyways (aka not qualify him). In that sense, trying out gilroy, even though he failed, might be better in their eyes than just keeping lee and letting him go as a FA.

Going forward, i do see gilroy as an NHLer. Bottom-pairing guy, bounces from team to team, but nhler nonetheless.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:55 AM
DamianRhodes4lyfe

I don't know much of his past, however the only thing he brought me during his stint in Ottawa was frustration. It almost seemed like he tried to be Karlsson, but without the skill, and without the brain. Good speed, good aggressiveness in the offensive zone (granted it always ended up in turnovers it seemed), but constant mistakes defensively.

DamianRhodes4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:57 AM
oilwings

I would love him in Edmonton

oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:05 AM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon25 View Post
Don't listen to most Ottawa fans, (I am one of them so take what i say with a grain of salt) but he played very few minutes and was used as the sacrifical goat whenever the team lost. He is not a game-changer but if a team is in need of a puck moving defenseman than he would be a cheap pick-up. Edmonton would be a good place for him possibly since they are looking for defenseman.

Most Ottawa fans are upset cause they liked Lee so Gilroy was screwed from the start.
Yeah, but we're also upset because Gilroy sucks. Like every other Sens fan in here, I'm not trying to over-exaggerate anything 'nor do I have anything against the guy. But man, he was pretty brutal during his time in Ottawa. He's a decent skater, but that's all he has going for him. The guy seems to make the worst decisions and he resembles a pylon on most breaks.

If any team signs him as anything other than an AHL piece or a #7 D-man, I'm sorry.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:09 AM
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat

Gilroy is one of the worst players I've seen on the Rangers for a while.

Up there with Enver Lisin, Erik Reitz (yeah, I went there), Aaron Voros, Donald Brasher, and Todd White. Just a complete and utter waste of space for all but maybe two or three weeks his entire time there. I'll always remember a poster on a board I used to frequent coining the nickname "Girlroy". Perfectly described him. He's terrified of contact.

I pity the fool that signs Gilroy to a contract.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:10 AM
ShootThePuckBarry

Watching him with the NYR, to me he was a very very SOFT hockey player

ShootThePuckBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:32 AM
Benny FTW
k

Hes absolute garbage at playing defense. When he gets into the offensive zone he gets the idea hes a forward and just goes down low and stays for no reason. Hes awful at everything.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:49 AM
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roffler View Post
Hes absolute garbage at playing defense. When he gets into the offensive zone he gets the idea hes a forward and just goes down low and stays for no reason. Hes awful at everything.
He was a forward until he got to college. He did that with the Rangers, too.

I really think that the change from defenseman to forward at such a late stage in his development really took any chance of being a decent NHLer from him. If he was groomed as a forward, he could either be a decent 3rd line speedster or a playmaking winger, but as a defenseman? He doesn't have the mindset. Shame, he's got decent offensive ability. Could have been a Ryan Shannon type of player.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:38 AM
Hipster Doofus

Gilroy may be a slow developer. His skating is well above average. His passing is solid, he can get to confident and guess on passes instead of looking. When he's not confident he's useless.

His game requires a coach to give him a leash in regard to skating with the puck. If he's playing safe and reserved his deficiencies become glaring. He's not an elite passer, just good, his offense is based around pinching and using his speed to create lanes to pass through. He can't play in a system where he's not allowed to jump in, doesn't have the shot and isn't a visionary QB. His size isn't the issue, he's just not good on the boards. My guess is poor fundamentals from overreliance on puckmovement in college.

A patient coach who won't chew him out and knows how correct **** like that would be ideal for him. I think he gets an invite or contract late in the offseason as teams figure out their depth situation. His upside and skill is still intriguing, and he wouldn't be a bad option as your 6th/7th rotating d-man given his RH shot and puckmovement.

Comparing him to Campoli, Campoli is smaller and not as gifted a skater but plays more aggressively. He's maxed out his potential, he's depth d-man who needs freedom to pinch. Gilroy's potential is only unmaxed because he hasn't learned to use his size effectively. If he could add that element of puck-separation along the boards and off the cycle (which requiress some physical contact), he'd be a league average d-man.

Last edited by Hipster Doofus: 07-30-2012 at 03:43 AM.
Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:47 AM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Gilroy may be a slow developer. His skating is well above average. His passing is solid, he can get to confident and guess on passes instead of looking. When he's not confident he's useless.

His game requires a coach to give him a leash in regard to skating with the puck. If he's playing safe and reserved his deficiencies become glaring. He's not an elite passer, just good, his offense is based around pinching and using his speed to create lanes to pass through. He can't play in a system where he's not allowed to jump in, doesn't have the shot and isn't a visionary QB. His size isn't the issue, he's just not good on the boards. My guess is poor fundamentals from overreliance on puckmovement in college.

A patient coach who won't chew him out and knows how correct **** like that would be ideal for him. I think he gets an invite or contract late in the offseason as teams figure out their depth situation. His upside and skill is still intriguing, and he wouldn't be a bad option as your 6th/7th rotating d-man given his RH shot and puckmovement.

Comparing him to Campoli, Campoli is smaller and not as gifted a skater but plays more aggressively. He's maxed out his potential, he's depth d-man who needs freedom to pinch. Gilroy's potential is only unmaxed because he hasn't learned to use his size effectively. If he could add that element of puck-separation along the boards and off the cycle (which requiress some physical contact), he'd be a league average d-man.
Problem is he's 28 already. I think your assessment is right but he's running out of time.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:41 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
I thought he was really poor for us in Ottawa. I was surprised at how there was only a flash of offence every third or fourth game he played - and that he was a liability defensively the entire time.

I have no ill will towards him, but if I was a team out there looking to sign him...I wouldn't.
I don't think his mental makeup is that strong, tbh. He gets rattled over his mistakes. He had good stretches in Tampa but yeah, he never seemed to settle in with Ottawa.

I think you can do worse with a #7 guy at or around league minimum.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 06:19 PM
bernmeister

He's ok to sign as a development project as he seems to have enough speed for separation and adequate size.

But he's strictly AHLer until he learns a physical game, and better D techniques.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote