HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Around the NHL VII - NHL Hockey Returns!

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2012, 01:12 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
I'd probably do Lepold + Adam for Hartnell
Not enough value to PHI.
PHI would sniff that ONLY if they 100% knew Hartnell wasn't going to resign in PHI after this season, and even then I doubt they'd bite. PHI could get more value from BUF and more value from other teams.
But I expect HArtnell is re-signed by PHI and/or extended.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:29 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Not enough value to PHI.
PHI would sniff that ONLY if they 100% knew Hartnell wasn't going to resign in PHI after this season, and even then I doubt they'd bite. PHI could get more value from BUF and more value from other teams.
But I expect HArtnell is re-signed by PHI and/or extended.
Agreed. I think Sekera is fair value... but that's a price we might not want to pay, considering that he's our best defensive defensemen.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:41 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by is the answer jesus View Post
That's absolutely ludicrous. If I were Holmgren I would have done the same thing to them with the offersheet.

It's not THAT bad...take one of the pieces out and you're right about where Weber would command.... Start high..negotiate down.

Old
07-25-2012, 08:08 PM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
It's not THAT bad...take one of the pieces out and you're right about where Weber would command.... Start high..negotiate down.
Its pretty bad man... I agree with your start high and work down point but that is just a ridiculous offer, obviously Nashville wasn't serious about trading him.

Old
07-25-2012, 08:15 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Close, Weber made 7.

Kesler by Philly
Vanek by Edmonton
Penner by Edmonton
Backes by Vanouver
Bernier by St. Louis
Hjalmarsson by San Jose
Weber by Philly

That's been it.
This article begs to differ with you. But I'm hoping you mean since the lockout? Even still, it isn't THAT rare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...d_offer_sheets

Old
07-25-2012, 08:17 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
This article begs to differ with you. But I'm hoping you mean since the lockout? Even still, it isn't THAT rare.

Chain's number is since the lockout

Old
07-25-2012, 08:26 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
No he wouldn't have. There has been like 6 total offer sheets since the lockout. Stamkos wasn't offersheeted and he is a top 5 player in the game. It just doesn't happen that much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Close, Weber made 7.

Kesler by Philly
Vanek by Edmonton
Penner by Edmonton
Backes by Vanouver
Bernier by St. Louis
Hjalmarsson by San Jose
Weber by Philly

That's been it.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
Chain's number is since the lockout
Yeah.

07-25-2012, 08:50 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Still, 7 in 8 years isn't THAT rare. Not that uncommon either, but my point is made.

Old
07-25-2012, 09:36 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Still, 7 in 8 years isn't THAT rare. Not that uncommon either, but my point is made.
One per off-season on average isn't exactly setting the world alight. Considering the number of RFA contracts signed in the last 7 years, yeah... they aren't common.

Old
07-26-2012, 09:15 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

4 year $17 million for Voracek. Could Ennis touch $4 mil per?

Old
07-26-2012, 09:23 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
4 year $17 million for Voracek. Could Ennis touch $4 mil per?
Not to split hairs, but Voracek has four years to Ennis two, this is his third contract compared to Ennis second. At four years, it would also buy a single UFA season at the end of it, which typically has pushed contract value up.

Old
07-26-2012, 09:35 AM
Sabretip

This is more related to Sabres than general NHL but the active Sabres' summer thread seems to have disappeared...

Quote:
Reading plenty of stories today in the wake of the Predators matching the Flyers' offer sheet for Shea Weber and I was taken aback by a tweet from NHL.com senior writer Dan Rosen about how the Flyers have been striking out all summer.

No Ryan Suter or Zach Parise. No Rick Nash. No Weber. I'll throw in no re-sign of Matt Carle or Jaromir Jagr and the somewhat-goofy trade of James van Riemsdyk for Luke Schenn too. All that's seemingly left for them to grab among big names are Shane Doan (above) and Bobby Ryan. You would think GM Paul Holmgren is not going to sit by idly.

Hmmm. That's not good news for the Sabres.
Quote:
Then there's Bobby Ryan. The Sabres have wanted him for months. He's from South Jersey, across the bridge from Philly. He's OK with getting out of Anaheim. Is he landing in Buffalo or Philly or maybe Boston?

The Flyers have to part with Brayden Schenn or Sean Couturier. Similarly, the Sabres don't figure to be interested in moving Tyler Ennis or many other of their young forwards. They have an overabundance of defensemen they could move, either on the roster now (Andrej Sekera and Jordan Leopold) or on the cusp of getting there (Mark Pysyk) but the Ducks will want a forward. Or two.

It all comes down to the Sabres' recruiting problem. The word gets around this is a good place to live with a great owner. But it's not attractive to players who want to win a Stanley Cup -- yet. Are you going to go to Pittsburgh, Philly or New York or come to Buffalo, where the team took a step back and didn't even make the playoffs last season?

If Regier lands either Doan or Ryan, he'll be pulling a major rabbit out of his hat. The Flyers, meanwhile, think they darn well better get at least one of them.
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...arcy-ryan.html

Old
07-26-2012, 09:42 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Doan ends up in Pheonix or New York and Bobby will become a Flyer, that's how I see it playing out. Then Semin signs with Pittsburgh...

Old
07-26-2012, 10:03 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
Away, PM another mod

vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
This is more related to Sabres than general NHL but the active Sabres' summer thread seems to have disappeared...
Summer Moves $e7en: Third Line Sucks. Fourth Line Sucks.

Old
07-26-2012, 11:20 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
Doan ends up in Pheonix or New York and Bobby will become a Flyer, that's how I see it playing out. Then Semin signs with Pittsburgh...
What does Buffalo get?

Old
07-26-2012, 12:02 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
What does Buffalo get?
A good draft pick?

Old
07-26-2012, 12:20 PM
Digable5

Quote:
What does Buffalo get?
Jerome Iginla for Persson.

Its definitely going to be interesting to see what Darcy does. He's had some really unexpected moves since Terry took over, so even when the usual suspects are gone doesn't mean we're done. Just means we don't know what Darcy's doing yet. I think most people would anticipate maybe something with San Jose. I think St. Louis has some interesting possibilities if they are willing to take something around Leopold or Leopold and Adam for a forward.

Old
07-26-2012, 01:01 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
Jerome Iginla for Persson.

Its definitely going to be interesting to see what Darcy does. He's had some really unexpected moves since Terry took over, so even when the usual suspects are gone doesn't mean we're done. Just means we don't know what Darcy's doing yet. I think most people would anticipate maybe something with San Jose. I think St. Louis has some interesting possibilities if they are willing to take something around Leopold or Leopold and Adam for a forward.
Iginla's been talked about before. If Doan's value increases due to his influence on the up-and-coming youth, Iginla does the same. Regier would need to work some sort of contract extension to make it worth the effort.

Calgary isn't in any sort of cap jam, as they've got their 2012-2013 roster set to go forward, with 23 players under contract and ~$66M spent. Moving Iginla helps Feaster make some moves next off-season without losing him to free agency anyway.

If Buffalo can't get Doan or Ryan, Iginla's an option. I think Regier could land him without doing much to the projected 2013-2014 team.

Old
07-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Iginla's been talked about before. If Doan's value increases due to his influence on the up-and-coming youth, Iginla does the same. Regier would need to work some sort of contract extension to make it worth the effort.

Calgary isn't in any sort of cap jam, as they've got their 2012-2013 roster set to go forward, with 23 players under contract and ~$66M spent. Moving Iginla helps Feaster make some moves next off-season without losing him to free agency anyway.

If Buffalo can't get Doan or Ryan, Iginla's an option. I think Regier could land him without doing much to the projected 2013-2014 team.
Ironically, given the close friendship and mutual respect Feaster and Regier have and their past dealings, the Iginla option is probably the most realistic one of happening - assuming that Regier is even interested in going that way or that Feaster is willing to deal Iginla before the trade deadline.

Old
07-26-2012, 01:14 PM
michaelsaas

Quote:

The amount of accepted offer sheets are very rare.
I thought it was interesting that out of the accepted offers - twice the draft picks were traded back to the original team for players - whatupwitdat?!

Old
07-26-2012, 01:24 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsaas View Post
The amount of accepted offer sheets are very rare.
I thought it was interesting that out of the accepted offers - twice the draft picks were traded back to the original team for players - whatupwitdat?!
Team giving up the player doesn't want picks. So they threaten to match (thus depriving the signing team of getting the player they want) unless they agree on a secondary trade where the picks are given back for a better return. Sometimes no deal is reached and the contract is matched, sometimes it is and contract isn't matched and the secondary trade then happens.

Old
07-26-2012, 01:28 PM
michaelsaas

Ah of course. That makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Old
07-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post

We've seen Regier do some great things with Calgary trades, but I think Iginla would have to be a deadline move. Like the Sabres, they're unwilling to do a complete rebuild. Until they're out of the playoff race at least, I think Iginla is in Calgary.

Old
07-26-2012, 01:50 PM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
We've seen Regier do some great things with Calgary trades, but I think Iginla would have to be a deadline move. Like the Sabres, they're unwilling to do a complete rebuild. Until they're out of the playoff race at least, I think Iginla is in Calgary.
I think at this point the sabres are very close to have completed a rebuild. Half of the old core is gone (Roy and Gaustad) all (or most) of the young guys are on the cusp of getting into the club, and weaknesses we once had are on the verge of becoming strengths. Calgary on the other hand, just won't do ANYTHING to come even close to a rebuild. I would compare them to what the buffalo bills have been doing until recently. Not doing what is necissary to improove. Sometimes it is alright to be at the bottom of the league instead of the middle for a year or two (or more in EDM's case), because it makes you a better team in the long run. Look at Pittsburgh. They had two first overall picks in a row.

Old
07-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
If that's the case, there's no reason to make the move then. Just wait three months and sign him.

Closed Thread