HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Alternative Lacing Styles

Old
07-20-2012, 08:57 PM
beth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
So after seeing your picture, and looking over the lacing methods, I relaced my skates a couple of times to see if anything felt more comfortable than what I am going with now. What I ended up with was a combo of the "zipper" method and your skipped second eyelet method. I ran the zipper up to the fifth eyelet down and then just continued with what you did. I find it keeps the bottom portion of my skate the tightest and most comfortable while still providing stability through the heel lock.it's weird to me that I found a decorative lacing to be more comfortable.
I'm glad you found something that works for you! You should post a pic!

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:22 PM
opivy
Sauce King

vCash: 966
Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
I think I am going to come across as a jerk here but when I have odd problems with skates fitting I just get different skates. To be fair not everyone has a Jarick budget but the benefit of a boot fitting my foot everywhere and me not having to coax it into position with lacing seems like a win win to me.

All that said, my easton s17's fit like gloves but i have some vapor xxxx's that just never felt right, I will try a different lace pattern and see if it can benefit me.

opivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:47 PM
beth

Yeah, but if one already has the best fitting skates out of all the options that are out there, but they're still not completely perfect, changing up the laces is an easy thing to try. It's also free.

Old
07-20-2012, 11:04 PM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth View Post
Yeah, but if one already has the best fitting skates out of all the options that are out there, but they're still not completely perfect, changing up the laces is an easy thing to try. It's also free.
Exactly... My skates fit great and the lacing make them better!

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:18 PM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by opivy View Post
I think I am going to come across as a jerk here but when I have odd problems with skates fitting I just get different skates. To be fair not everyone has a Jarick budget but the benefit of a boot fitting my foot everywhere and me not having to coax it into position with lacing seems like a win win to me.

All that said, my easton s17's fit like gloves but i have some vapor xxxx's that just never felt right, I will try a different lace pattern and see if it can benefit me.
A Jarick budget? You said you had some Bauer Vapors that didn't quite fit, so you bought Easton's that work well.. Wouldnt it have better if you could have made the Bauers work better by lacing, rather then spending the money on new skates? lol.. It couldnt hurt! It doesn't always work obviously, I switched from CCM U+12's to Grafs, and with the lacing methods of moving pressure and support where you want it now my Grafs are perfect.

With laces, profiling, footbeds, baking, etc, is there anything that would be considered a stock skate? That's what so cool about skates now days, so many options to fit each skater perfectly, you gotta love that! lol..

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:33 AM
oldfart

Quote:
I've recently discovered that I have lace bite bumps and they are starting to cause me pain. Not really bad, but I know if I don't do anything about it, then it is just going to get worse. I can't afford new skates, and I really like my skates, so I sat down with them to see if I could figure out a solution.

And I came up with a crazy way to tie them that locked my heel down better than ever before, took the pressure off my bumps and still allowed for some forward flex. I skated a game with them tied this way last night, and it was amazing. I won't ever skate with normally tied laces again!

I am including a pic! Hopefully you can figure out what is going on here. I'm creating a heel lock at the 3rd and 4th eyelet, then skip the 2nd and instead come up through the top eyelet. From there I go back down and put the ends through the heel locks, crank it tight and then tie. Skipping the 2nd eyelet creates a deeper "V" in the laces for more flex. It sounds like a pain in the butt to tie, but once you have it, it's actually pretty easy to loosen and get your skates on/off.

I went to this site for inspiration:
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacing.htm
great mod to lacing!
seems like it will do a good job in keeping solid lateral support for the boot and at the same time allow some good ankle flexion.
I just recently bought some modern skates - Grafs - and find their stiffness, nice in the edging but I do get some lace bite from the top and 2nd lace cross when I drive hard with longer leg extension. My very high instep just accentuates the lace bite issue. I'm gonna mod your pattern and lace the #2 eyes and then cross the top eye down the way you have it, down to 3 & 4, and then tie off. Not having that final cross and tie-off at the top should allow just enough forward ankle flex without the lace bite.
I don;t need the open loop at 3 & 4, so I'm gonna come up with a loop device to use at either loop 3 or 4, instead of trying to use the lacing. I'll try something simple at first, to see if I can improvise it. I'll post if I find it works...
Thanks for the idea

oldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Tried this last night...

Did a lace lock between the 2nd and 3rd eyelet, then crossed up to the 1st, then back down through the lace lock. Using older waxed laces in my Grafs, it held the ankle a lot more solid and snug than before without any of the lace bit in the rest of the foot. It did seem to hurt my ankle mobility but that's because my stride is crappy right now.

Weird thing is one skate's eyelets stretched at least an inch, maybe two, when tightening, which tells me that was pretty loose to begin with. Makes me worried about the durability over time, but I'd rather have snug skates that wear out over skates that aren't fitting.

Good call, Beth!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:03 PM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Tried this last night...

Did a lace lock between the 2nd and 3rd eyelet, then crossed up to the 1st, then back down through the lace lock. Using older waxed laces in my Grafs, it held the ankle a lot more solid and snug than before without any of the lace bit in the rest of the foot. It did seem to hurt my ankle mobility but that's because my stride is crappy right now.

Weird thing is one skate's eyelets stretched at least an inch, maybe two, when tightening, which tells me that was pretty loose to begin with. Makes me worried about the durability over time, but I'd rather have snug skates that wear out over skates that aren't fitting.

Good call, Beth!
I wonder if the alternative lacing puts unnecessary strain on the eyelets and damaging them.

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I dunno...with the lace lock the force is between two eyelets on either side, not just one. I'm guessing it's okay. But it does make me worried about the boot itself.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:32 PM
beth

Quote:
Tried this last night...

Oh cool! Did you try it with the lock lower down like I did and skipping the 2nd eyelet? Did it not work that way for you? You might have better ankle mobility that way if you haven't tried it yet. But your skates might fit differently. Weird that your eyelet moved, I haven't had that issue.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I laced normally, then made a lace lock between 2nd and 3rd eyelet, then did the top, then went through the lace lock and tied the bow. Does that make sense? It's like skipping the second eyelet and doing a lace lock.

Old
07-26-2012, 08:25 PM
neksys

I tried exactly this at a game and class. I love it and I'm definitely going to keep it that way for a few weeks. I might try switching back to feel the difference and compare.

Thanks so much for sharing!

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:46 PM
esidebill

To be honest, I just pull light on the bottom laces, pull tight on the 5th, do a twice around tie on the 4th, tight on the 3rd and then slightly tight all the way up. Works pretty well for me.

Old
07-27-2012, 08:56 PM
beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
I tried exactly this at a game and class. I love it and I'm definitely going to keep it that way for a few weeks. I might try switching back to feel the difference and compare.

Thanks so much for sharing!
I'm so glad you like it!

Old
07-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Dineen Youngblood

I recently got a pair of vapors that I lace pretty tight all the way up. Thing is, after playing in them one time I got a huge, swollen knot that almost covers the whole front of my ankle right on top of my left foot. Doesn't bother my right foot. Didn't take a slapper. I dunno lol. But it's been like this for a few months now and the only way I can ease the pressure at all when playing is to put gel heel pads over it in my sock. Doesn't help much. But I've never really had lace bite or anything before so I don't know what this is. Should I try playing with them looser or skip an eyelet or two? Thanks in advance!

Dineen Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:37 PM
beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dineen Youngblood View Post
I recently got a pair of vapors that I lace pretty tight all the way up. Thing is, after playing in them one time I got a huge, swollen knot that almost covers the whole front of my ankle right on top of my left foot. Doesn't bother my right foot. Didn't take a slapper. I dunno lol. But it's been like this for a few months now and the only way I can ease the pressure at all when playing is to put gel heel pads over it in my sock. Doesn't help much. But I've never really had lace bite or anything before so I don't know what this is. Should I try playing with them looser or skip an eyelet or two? Thanks in advance!
Yeah, that sounds like lace bite. I would just try different things until you find something that's comfortable and will take the pressure off. Hopefully you can find a solution without having to buy new skates or take time off.

Jarick, a friend of mine laced her skates the way you did. She has Grafs, and I can see on her skates that lacing them without the second eyelet like I did wouldn't work because the lock would have been too low. So it really does depend on how the skate fits. Just put the lock where it makes the most sense.

Old
07-30-2012, 12:17 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Second game with this lacing and I'm LOVING it. The boot fits super snug around the ankle, no bite below, no need to adjust, it's just awesome.

Old
07-30-2012, 01:44 PM
nwharris74

So I have used Beth's setup for the last two games. Skates feel remarkably more comfortable. A while back I started using Superfeet but had a hard time adjusting. Skating improved but boot comfort took a hit. Adding the Lacing config has made a huge improvement. It just feels better out there.

nwharris74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Dineen Youngblood

Quote:
Yeah, that sounds like lace bite. I would just try different things until you find something that's comfortable and will take the pressure off. Hopefully you can find a solution without having to buy new skates or take time off.

Jarick, a friend of mine laced her skates the way you did. She has Grafs, and I can see on her skates that lacing them without the second eyelet like I did wouldn't work because the lock would have been too low. So it really does depend on how the skate fits. Just put the lock where it makes the most sense.
Beth, thank you sooooo much! I just did what you did in the pic and it feels awesome! No pressure at all, improved mobility, and I felt like I could skate all night. It was truly amazing! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Old
07-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I added this to the big sticky up top because it's awesome.

Seriously, no idea why I've tried lace locks in the past and they haven't worked but this time it's a lot better, and it seems a lot of others are benefiting too.

Old
07-30-2012, 02:58 PM
esidebill

Quote:
I added this to the big sticky up top because it's awesome.

Seriously, no idea why I've tried lace locks in the past and they haven't worked but this time it's a lot better, and it seems a lot of others are benefiting too.
Do you actually have a picture of it?

Old
07-30-2012, 03:15 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'll try and remember to snap one tonight.

Old
07-30-2012, 07:33 PM
beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dineen Youngblood View Post
Beth, thank you sooooo much! I just did what you did in the pic and it feels awesome! No pressure at all, improved mobility, and I felt like I could skate all night. It was truly amazing! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Glad to help! Are you still using the gel pads? You might want to keep those in still since it sounds like you had lace bite pretty bad. At least until the swelling goes down.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:13 PM
Dineen Youngblood

Quote:
Glad to help! Are you still using the gel pads? You might want to keep those in still since it sounds like you had lace bite pretty bad. At least until the swelling goes down.
I did last night but not tonight. It felt even better honestly. I'm home now and it's not stiff or painful at all. I can't tell you how happy I am lol

Old
01-02-2014, 09:17 AM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

Has anyone tried zipper lacing? I find that hockey laces tend to be quite long in general. I'm going to try it out tonight on an ODR.

Also does anyone ever try to get that heel lock with lacing (and maybe using a lace lock where the boot starts to go horizontal) and leaving the top of the boot unlaced for more forward bend mobility, or do you think it would be too dangerous?

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote