HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency 2012 Part #2

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-24-2012, 10:27 PM
  #951
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
signing the best defenseman to market value is an albatross? letting him go for nothing or taking that joke of an offer from philly, is an albatross.
The only way Nashville was going to get full value was to match. If they trade him in a year, they will get way more than 4 late round 1sts. If they keep him, the cap hit is what I figured it would be with or without the offer sheet.

MsWoof is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 12:18 AM
  #952
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jason Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Carr View Post
in his tea leaves!
My tea leaves were right lol

Jason Lewis is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 12:21 AM
  #953
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,293
vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARFACE909 View Post
They offered, Read, Mezaros, 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

NO way they're offering Couturier, he's untouchable.
Couturier, is no way an untouchable!

Believe it or not, there are NO UNTOUCHABLES in the league. Anyone, including Crosby, could be had for an overpayment.

The Black1963 is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 12:37 AM
  #954
SCARFACE909
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
Couturier, is no way an untouchable!

Believe it or not, there are NO UNTOUCHABLES in the league. Anyone, including Crosby, could be had for an overpayment.
Likely hood of such an overpayment is slim to none so basically it's never going to happen, maybe untouchable isn't right word, but they're non-starters.

SCARFACE909 is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 01:31 AM
  #955
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9
 
ScoreZeGoals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,262
vCash: 500
The thought that Couturier is either a non-starter or untouchable in a trade for Weber is ridiculous. We are talking about arguably the best defenseman in the NHL here, and he's only 26 years old. Couturier is quickly becoming the most overrated player on these boards.

ScoreZeGoals is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 02:16 AM
  #956
SCARFACE909
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
The thought that Couturier is either a non-starter or untouchable in a trade for Weber is ridiculous. We are talking about arguably the best defenseman in the NHL here, and he's only 26 years old. Couturier is quickly becoming the most overrated player on these boards.
It's the fact that the Flyers value him very highly to their team, they'd trade Schenn before Couturier, but they weren't willing to include either in a trade, I mean they don't have to include one of them, if you're Nashville you ask for one of them and rightfully so, but you could also see why Philadelphia would be reluctant.

SCARFACE909 is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 02:32 AM
  #957
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9
 
ScoreZeGoals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARFACE909 View Post
It's the fact that the Flyers value him very highly to their team, they'd trade Schenn before Couturier, but they weren't willing to include either in a trade, I mean they don't have to include one of them, if you're Nashville you ask for one of them and rightfully so, but you could also see why Philadelphia would be reluctant.
True, they don't have to include one of them, but look where that got them. In a trade you have to give to get and when you are trying to get one of the best defensemen in the league you've got to pony up. The fact is the Flyers have tons of young forwards, have no issues drafting and developing them, and can't develop defensemen to save their lives. I understand the reluctance to trade Schenn since they just traded for his brother, but if Couturier can be the key piece in a trade that brings you Weber, I'd do that every single time.

ScoreZeGoals is offline  
Old
07-25-2012, 03:03 AM
  #958
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France
 
savemefromtears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: City of Angels
Country: United States
Posts: 1,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
signing the best defenseman to market value is an albatross? letting him go for nothing or taking that joke of an offer from philly, is an albatross.
This.

savemefromtears is online now  
Old
07-26-2012, 02:24 PM
  #959
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967
 
Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brea, California
Country: United States
Posts: 7,774
vCash: 500
Per Twitter:

Quote:
Darren Dreger‏@DarrenDreger
1 year...$7 mil for Semin in Carolina.

Ron is online now  
Old
07-26-2012, 02:30 PM
  #960
funky
Registered User
 
funky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Saskatoon, Sask
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Per Twitter:
I would like to see what chemistry he had with Kopitar

funky is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 02:31 PM
  #961
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 26,375
vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Crazy. Would be interesting to see what he can do with the Staal brothers, could be a good fit for him.

__________________

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is online now  
Old
07-26-2012, 02:47 PM
  #962
bobafettish*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
what does semin think to accomplish with these 1 year deals, he thinks he's gonna score 120 points an then cash in the following year?

bobafettish* is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 03:04 PM
  #963
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,830
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
what does semin think to accomplish with these 1 year deals, he thinks he's gonna score 120 points an then cash in the following year?
KHL is probably the only league that would give him a multi-year deal. Doubt he had any multi-year offers from an NHL team any where near $7 million per season.

Sydor25 is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 03:35 PM
  #964
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967
 
Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brea, California
Country: United States
Posts: 7,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
what does semin think to accomplish with these 1 year deals, he thinks he's gonna score 120 points an then cash in the following year?
It is odd to only get one year at such a high salary...you used to see this stuff in the NBA for aging superstars near the end of their career.

It could also be Carolina hedging their bets, seeing if this guy's personal issues are true, and not wanting to commit for more than one year.

Ron is online now  
Old
07-26-2012, 03:46 PM
  #965
Herby
Culture Changer
 
Herby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 15,106
vCash: 500
Interesting.

Semin either had no legit multi year offers or he didn't want to commit to playing in NA for more than one year, and he chose to take the easy $7 mill and re-evaluate next season.

Good signing for Carolina, much like Penner here, it's low risk and high reward and it won't be an issue when the CBA is overhauled since it's going to be an expiring contract.

Herby is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 05:07 PM
  #966
Richie10
Registered User
 
Richie10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
signing the best defenseman to market value is an albatross? letting him go for nothing or taking that joke of an offer from philly, is an albatross.
Le sigh.

Paying a single player $26 million in bonuses over a calendar year is an albatross, financially, for a small market team with an internal budget.

Locking up a great defenseman for life at a market value cap hit is clearly NOT an albatross. Thank you for this ground breaking information.

Richie10 is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 05:09 PM
  #967
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,468
vCash: 500
Good signing by Carolina.

Semin is one of the most underrated players in the league.

johnjm22 is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 05:18 PM
  #968
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator
 
saintsnsoldiers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Logan, Utah
Country: United States
Posts: 2,026
vCash: 500
He's killing money wise with these one year deals. The way all the UFA fell this year makes me like our chances of repeating.

saintsnsoldiers is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 05:20 PM
  #969
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator
 
saintsnsoldiers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Logan, Utah
Country: United States
Posts: 2,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
He's killing money wise with these one year deals. The way all the UFA fell this year makes me like our chances of repeating.
If.........we have a season that is

saintsnsoldiers is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 05:49 PM
  #970
triplcrown
Registered User
 
triplcrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SF Valley, SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
Jagr ... his 54 points was enhanced playing in Philly's "all offense/no defense" system.

What do you mean, "no defense"?

I thought The Flyers were Kings-East.

triplcrown is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 06:15 PM
  #971
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
I would like to see what chemistry he had with Kopitar
Meh, not for $7MM.

KINGS17 is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 06:52 PM
  #972
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
UFrom what I hear Semin took the best offer he had. What I cant understand is what the Canes our trying to do as an org. They are just barely a playoff team at this point and all that they have accomplished by signing Semin for one season is delay the inevitable by one season. Curious.

etherialone is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 07:15 PM
  #973
Richie10
Registered User
 
Richie10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
UFrom what I hear Semin took the best offer he had. What I cant understand is what the Canes our trying to do as an org. They are just barely a playoff team at this point and all that they have accomplished by signing Semin for one season is delay the inevitable by one season. Curious.
They're clearly trying to make the playoffs again, and don't believe a tear-it-all-down-rebuild is necessary.

The Kings winning it all as an eighth seed will reverberate around the league for many, many years. Bubble teams that previously would have chosen a full tank mode rebuild will likely try to add pieces now, thinking they can sneak into the playoffs and get hot, like the Kings did.

People will claim it's flawed logic because "the Kings weren't an average eighth seed" but it will still affect how teams approach each and every season.

Richie10 is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 07:22 PM
  #974
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
They're clearly trying to make the playoffs again, and don't believe a tear-it-all-down-rebuild is necessary.

The Kings winning it all as an eighth seed will reverberate around the league for many, many years. Bubble teams that previously would have chosen a full tank mode rebuild will likely try to add pieces now, thinking they can sneak into the playoffs and get hot, like the Kings did.

People will claim it's flawed logic because "the Kings weren't an average eighth seed" but it will still affect how teams approach each and every season.
I agree that a total rebuild isn't in order but they have several holes and signing Semin doesn't make them closer to being a legit contender. That was more my point. I think it will very interesting watching the Rags this year going yet again with a super-star line up and losing a bit of depth in the balance.

etherialone is offline  
Old
07-26-2012, 07:43 PM
  #975
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I agree that a total rebuild isn't in order but they have several holes and signing Semin doesn't make them closer to being a legit contender. That was more my point. I think it will very interesting watching the Rags this year going yet again with a super-star line up and losing a bit of depth in the balance.
This is the metallity of the Atlantic Division. Forget how many bullets you have, as long as you can drop the biggest bombs that's all it takes.

KINGS17 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.