HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency 2012 Part #2

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2012, 10:27 PM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
signing the best defenseman to market value is an albatross? letting him go for nothing or taking that joke of an offer from philly, is an albatross.
The only way Nashville was going to get full value was to match. If they trade him in a year, they will get way more than 4 late round 1sts. If they keep him, the cap hit is what I figured it would be with or without the offer sheet.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:18 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Carr View Post
in his tea leaves!
My tea leaves were right lol

Old
07-25-2012, 12:21 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARFACE909 View Post
They offered, Read, Mezaros, 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

NO way they're offering Couturier, he's untouchable.
Couturier, is no way an untouchable!

Believe it or not, there are NO UNTOUCHABLES in the league. Anyone, including Crosby, could be had for an overpayment.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:37 AM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
Couturier, is no way an untouchable!

Believe it or not, there are NO UNTOUCHABLES in the league. Anyone, including Crosby, could be had for an overpayment.
Likely hood of such an overpayment is slim to none so basically it's never going to happen, maybe untouchable isn't right word, but they're non-starters.

Old
07-25-2012, 01:31 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

The thought that Couturier is either a non-starter or untouchable in a trade for Weber is ridiculous. We are talking about arguably the best defenseman in the NHL here, and he's only 26 years old. Couturier is quickly becoming the most overrated player on these boards.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:16 AM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
The thought that Couturier is either a non-starter or untouchable in a trade for Weber is ridiculous. We are talking about arguably the best defenseman in the NHL here, and he's only 26 years old. Couturier is quickly becoming the most overrated player on these boards.
It's the fact that the Flyers value him very highly to their team, they'd trade Schenn before Couturier, but they weren't willing to include either in a trade, I mean they don't have to include one of them, if you're Nashville you ask for one of them and rightfully so, but you could also see why Philadelphia would be reluctant.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:32 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARFACE909 View Post
It's the fact that the Flyers value him very highly to their team, they'd trade Schenn before Couturier, but they weren't willing to include either in a trade, I mean they don't have to include one of them, if you're Nashville you ask for one of them and rightfully so, but you could also see why Philadelphia would be reluctant.
True, they don't have to include one of them, but look where that got them. In a trade you have to give to get and when you are trying to get one of the best defensemen in the league you've got to pony up. The fact is the Flyers have tons of young forwards, have no issues drafting and developing them, and can't develop defensemen to save their lives. I understand the reluctance to trade Schenn since they just traded for his brother, but if Couturier can be the key piece in a trade that brings you Weber, I'd do that every single time.

Old
07-25-2012, 03:03 AM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
signing the best defenseman to market value is an albatross? letting him go for nothing or taking that joke of an offer from philly, is an albatross.
This.

Old
07-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Per Twitter:

Quote:
Darren Dreger‏@DarrenDreger
1 year...$7 mil for Semin in Carolina.

Old
07-26-2012, 02:30 PM
funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Per Twitter:
I would like to see what chemistry he had with Kopitar

Old
07-26-2012, 02:31 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Crazy. Would be interesting to see what he can do with the Staal brothers, could be a good fit for him.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Old
07-26-2012, 02:47 PM
bobafettish*

what does semin think to accomplish with these 1 year deals, he thinks he's gonna score 120 points an then cash in the following year?

Old
07-26-2012, 03:04 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
what does semin think to accomplish with these 1 year deals, he thinks he's gonna score 120 points an then cash in the following year?
KHL is probably the only league that would give him a multi-year deal. Doubt he had any multi-year offers from an NHL team any where near $7 million per season.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:35 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
It is odd to only get one year at such a high salary...you used to see this stuff in the NBA for aging superstars near the end of their career.

It could also be Carolina hedging their bets, seeing if this guy's personal issues are true, and not wanting to commit for more than one year.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:46 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Interesting.

Semin either had no legit multi year offers or he didn't want to commit to playing in NA for more than one year, and he chose to take the easy $7 mill and re-evaluate next season.

Good signing for Carolina, much like Penner here, it's low risk and high reward and it won't be an issue when the CBA is overhauled since it's going to be an expiring contract.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:07 PM
Richie10

Quote:
Le sigh.

Paying a single player $26 million in bonuses over a calendar year is an albatross, financially, for a small market team with an internal budget.

Locking up a great defenseman for life at a market value cap hit is clearly NOT an albatross. Thank you for this ground breaking information.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:09 PM
johnjm22

Good signing by Carolina.

Semin is one of the most underrated players in the league.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:18 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

He's killing money wise with these one year deals. The way all the UFA fell this year makes me like our chances of repeating.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:20 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
He's killing money wise with these one year deals. The way all the UFA fell this year makes me like our chances of repeating.
If.........we have a season that is

Old
07-26-2012, 05:49 PM
triplcrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
Jagr ... his 54 points was enhanced playing in Philly's "all offense/no defense" system.

What do you mean, "no defense"?

I thought The Flyers were Kings-East.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:15 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
I would like to see what chemistry he had with Kopitar
Meh, not for $7MM.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:52 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

UFrom what I hear Semin took the best offer he had. What I cant understand is what the Canes our trying to do as an org. They are just barely a playoff team at this point and all that they have accomplished by signing Semin for one season is delay the inevitable by one season. Curious.

Old
07-26-2012, 07:15 PM
Richie10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
UFrom what I hear Semin took the best offer he had. What I cant understand is what the Canes our trying to do as an org. They are just barely a playoff team at this point and all that they have accomplished by signing Semin for one season is delay the inevitable by one season. Curious.
They're clearly trying to make the playoffs again, and don't believe a tear-it-all-down-rebuild is necessary.

The Kings winning it all as an eighth seed will reverberate around the league for many, many years. Bubble teams that previously would have chosen a full tank mode rebuild will likely try to add pieces now, thinking they can sneak into the playoffs and get hot, like the Kings did.

People will claim it's flawed logic because "the Kings weren't an average eighth seed" but it will still affect how teams approach each and every season.

Old
07-26-2012, 07:22 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
They're clearly trying to make the playoffs again, and don't believe a tear-it-all-down-rebuild is necessary.

The Kings winning it all as an eighth seed will reverberate around the league for many, many years. Bubble teams that previously would have chosen a full tank mode rebuild will likely try to add pieces now, thinking they can sneak into the playoffs and get hot, like the Kings did.

People will claim it's flawed logic because "the Kings weren't an average eighth seed" but it will still affect how teams approach each and every season.
I agree that a total rebuild isn't in order but they have several holes and signing Semin doesn't make them closer to being a legit contender. That was more my point. I think it will very interesting watching the Rags this year going yet again with a super-star line up and losing a bit of depth in the balance.

Old
07-26-2012, 07:43 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I agree that a total rebuild isn't in order but they have several holes and signing Semin doesn't make them closer to being a legit contender. That was more my point. I think it will very interesting watching the Rags this year going yet again with a super-star line up and losing a bit of depth in the balance.
This is the metallity of the Atlantic Division. Forget how many bullets you have, as long as you can drop the biggest bombs that's all it takes.

Closed Thread