HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Offer Sheet Matched. Weber signed to Nashville for 14 years

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2012, 07:29 AM
smitty10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post
Listening to the Weber/Trotz call...Weber said they just utilized the CBA as it is now and it worked out great. To me, that says that after it didn't work out with him and Suter signing together he was going to sign an offer sheet for any team that gave him the biggest contract to see how committed ownership really was. Which is why he was visiting other teams. And with Weber saying he knew all along the Preds intended to match any offer sheet, Weber just signed the biggest/best one and said OK Preds here you go match it for me. He got the monster pay day, sees the commitment from the team now and going forward (and in Weber's own words "is exactly what we wanted") and he stays in Nashville in a place he loves.
Definitely how I took the situation as well. Not a chance the Preds would allow him to walk.

I really hope Nashville can grab a top 4 defenseman to help take some of the strain off of Weber and add another depth guy. They need to show Weber now that they're willing to spend to get support for him so that this team can be as good as possible. What I'd like to see happen would be to sign:

Shane Doan- $5.5mil per year for 3-4 years
Alexander Semin- $6mil per year for 3 years
Carlo Colaiacovo- $3.5mil per year for 3 years
Milan Jurcina/Scott Hannan- $900k for 1 year

Although that would push the Preds to within $1m of the cap, it would address every concern in the lineup and would create enough depth that injuries wouldn't have a devestating effect on the team. Doan would bring leadership, grit and 50+ points to the top 6, Semin would be the elite sniper this team could rely on for goals, Colaiacovo would add depth to the top 4 defense and would bring experience to help replace Suter, Jurcina or Hannan would bring veteran depth to the blueline and an NHL capable body so that the youngsters can develop in the AHL.

Old
07-26-2012, 09:18 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Definitely how I took the situation as well. Not a chance the Preds would allow him to walk.

I really hope Nashville can grab a top 4 defenseman to help take some of the strain off of Weber and add another depth guy. They need to show Weber now that they're willing to spend to get support for him so that this team can be as good as possible. What I'd like to see happen would be to sign:

Although that would push the Preds to within $1m of the cap, it would address every concern in the lineup and would create enough depth that injuries wouldn't have a devestating effect on the team. Doan would bring leadership, grit and 50+ points to the top 6, Semin would be the elite sniper this team could rely on for goals, Colaiacovo would add depth to the top 4 defense and would bring experience to help replace Suter, Jurcina or Hannan would bring veteran depth to the blueline and an NHL capable body so that the youngsters can develop in the AHL.
I doubt seriously that we get Doan and Semin... and we dont need two more defensemen or else we clog up slots for our youngsters.

If Im wishing, I wish we sign Doan and trade for J-BO, and we would be pretty darn solid ....

Old
07-26-2012, 12:13 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

One of Doan or Semin would be fine (ugh). We could use another vet defenseman to play second pairing minutes, though. I hope that Blum is ready, but I wouldn't count on all three of Josi, Blum, and Ellis being able to step up. One of them is going to falter.

Old
07-26-2012, 12:29 PM
randymc2641

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
One of Doan or Semin would be fine (ugh). We could use another vet defenseman to play second pairing minutes, though. I hope that Blum is ready, but I wouldn't count on all three of Josi, Blum, and Ellis being able to step up. One of them is going to falter.
Ekholm...

Old
07-26-2012, 12:30 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by randymc2641 View Post
Ekholm...
..will be getting used to NA ice in Milwaukee.

Old
07-26-2012, 12:34 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I think it will be Bartley before Ekholm

Old
07-26-2012, 12:51 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post

I really think the definition of "spending to the Cap" is not the official cap number but the actual dollars the Preds will spend. So since there is roughly a $6mm difference in year 1 between the cap hit and the actual hit on Weber's contract, plus another $13mm bonus payout 11 months from now, the Preds will probably have a artificial cap that's at least $10mm under the actual cap limit. Can't imagine them spending to the Cap AND paying Weber two huge bonuses on top of that totaling $26mm, all in the same 11 month period.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:40 PM
maplepred

Would we have matched weber if suter had signed?
I 'mway happier with weber rather than suter though!

Old
07-26-2012, 03:41 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I don't think Weber would have signed an offer sheet had Suter signed.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:58 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
I'm way happier with weber rather than suter though!
Hopefully on May 9th, the Wild are already eliminated from the playoffs, the Preds are firmly in and just fighting for position... Suter decides to carry the puck down below the goal line only to look up at the last second and see Weber coming full steam around the back of the net... you know the rest

Old
07-26-2012, 04:13 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Hopefully on May 9th, the Wild are already eliminated from the playoffs, the Preds are firmly in and just fighting for position... Suter decides to carry the puck down below the goal line only to look up at the last second and see Weber coming full steam around the back of the net... you know the rest
Yup!

Old
07-26-2012, 04:16 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Playing on May 9th would be at the end of the second round/start of the third. I would take that

Old
07-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
Playing on May 9th would be at the end of the second round/start of the third. I would take that
March 9th

But yes, playing on May 9th would be sweet. As long as Minnesota isn't involved. Hopefully Suter is replacing his divots at that point.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:49 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
March 9th

But yes, playing on May 9th would be sweet. As long as Minnesota isn't involved. Hopefully Suter is replacing his divots at that point.
or more likely picking up cow patties on his farm...

Old
07-26-2012, 06:22 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

Quote:
Think ur right but sounds like we were going with $104mm over 14 years. Had offered Suter $90mm for 13 years. If Suter allowed us to match the offer he took, and brought Parise with him for the same money, we would have spent $98mm, $98mm, and $104mm over the next 13-14 years. Suter/Parise got big upfront bonus money (not like Shea but a lot) too. Don't see how Preds could have swallowed all that if it took them 6 days to shove $110mm and all the upfront money down their throats.

Guess we'll never know. As long as Suter considered Parise his BFF and they were a package deal, it's hard to see. Suts by himself would have gotten Shea for less.

Water under the Bridgestone. Suter wears green for the next 13 years and we will make it our business to beat the spit out of the Wild and make Liarpold sellout again.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:54 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I bet Bartley plays 30 games with us. At absolute worst, I see him as a Laakso/Sulzer type guy for us this coming season. Best as a #7, but a serviceable 3rd pairing guy if injuries strike. That is WORST case scenario IMO

Old
07-26-2012, 07:07 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
"I remember hearing something like "Hey, Sutes", and then it's kinda hazy, and the next thing I know I'm in this room talking with you, Doc."

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
07-26-2012, 11:29 PM
Devastate

congrats guys! I'm a flyers fan, but the preds have been my second team (mainly cause of Rinne). Hope you guys compete and ultimately come out of the west.

Old
07-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItILoveIt View Post
Think ur right but sounds like we were going with $104mm over 14 years. Had offered Suter $90mm for 13 years. If Suter allowed us to match the offer he took, and brought Parise with him for the same money, we would have spent $98mm, $98mm, and $104mm over the next 13-14 years. Suter/Parise got big upfront bonus money (not like Shea but a lot) too. Don't see how Preds could have swallowed all that if it took them 6 days to shove $110mm and all the upfront money down their throats.

Guess we'll never know. As long as Suter considered Parise his BFF and they were a package deal, it's hard to see. Suts by himself would have gotten Shea for less.

Water under the Bridgestone. Suter wears green for the next 13 years and we will make it our business to beat the spit out of the Wild and make Liarpold sellout again.
I see what u did thar!!!

Old
07-27-2012, 09:43 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Yeah, water and Bridgestone. Leads to semi-bad memories of the flood. But it did lead to a new dressing room.

Old
07-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Shea Weber

Quote:
March 9th

lol @ replacing divots. And searching for balls that he sliced in the woods.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Reaper1097

Quote:
I agree. The entire chain of events started when Suter signed with minny. No way, Weber signs an offer sheet, especially like the front loaded one with the flyers.

After listening to the press conference on Wednesday, is the consesus amongst preds fans that weber absolutely wanted to stay with the preds all along?

This article was in the Tennessean (which i assume is the newspaper in the area) and written by Mike Organ (to be honest I have no idea how credible he is when it comes to Predators info) in which it makes it sound like weber didnt really want to stay. Is there any doubt in preds fans minds about Weber wanting to stay?

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...nclick_check=1

Old
07-27-2012, 11:50 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1097 View Post
I agree. The entire chain of events started when Suter signed with minny. No way, Weber signs an offer sheet, especially like the front loaded one with the flyers.

After listening to the press conference on Wednesday, is the consesus amongst preds fans that weber absolutely wanted to stay with the preds all along?

This article was in the Tennessean (which i assume is the newspaper in the area) and written by Mike Organ (to be honest I have no idea how credible he is when it comes to Predators info) in which it makes it sound like weber didnt really want to stay. Is there any doubt in preds fans minds about Weber wanting to stay?

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...nclick_check=1
He's saying some analyst and is basing it off that same quote everyone else is.

Yes, Shea Weber knew Nashville would match and this is where he wanted to play.

Philly was used as leverage and nothing more.

Here you go..

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...0354--nhl.html

Quote:
"That was their feelings, I guess," Weber said. "I was never a part of any of that. I didn't make any statements publicly."

Weber's performance was convincing enough to leave some Philadelphians wondering if the Flyers had simply been used all along to score him a big fat contract before the CBA runs out. His own words definitely didn't belie the notion. "I think we utilized the CBA the best we could while it's the way it is," Weber said of why he signed the offer sheet.

The Flyers may be left wondering how Weber truly feels about them, but the Predators' captain made his feelings for the Nashville perfectly clear.

"I love the city of Nashville," Weber said. "I love my teammates. I love the fans. It's a very positive thing that the ownership has stepped up and they're going to be a team that's going to spend to the cap and brings guys in.

"The team stepped up and showed that they're going to bend with the best of teams, and now we can focus on the season, and hopefully get some more pieces of the puzzle and build a contending team for a long time."

See, this whole ordeal was just a test of your love and devotion, Nashville. And you passed, because you showed you can bend with the best of them.

"This is what we needed, ownership to step up, show we are stable," said Weber. "It's going to attract guys."

And now Shea Weber wants to marry you, Nashville. I mean, that's why he's down on one knee, asking for that no-movement clause.

"I'm comfortable staying there [Nashville] for my career," he said. "We've made that clear to the organization, we're trying to get a no-movement clause because we're committed to staying there

Old
07-27-2012, 12:18 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Am I the only one disgusted by that? Weber signs an offer-sheet with another team (maybe as leverage, maybe because he wants to go there, who knows), we are forced to match a front loaded deal that is hardly ideal for us, then Weber is "in" and gets a huge banner but on the front of the arena.

Meanwhile, our Vezina Caliber goaltender signs long-term with us before ever getting close to free agency, going all the right things and committing to us with no urging or question marks, and doesn't get half the publicity.

That should be Rinne. And saying Weber is "in" isn't entirely fair IMO.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:29 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Difference is Rinne signed during the season, Weber signed in the offseason. Offseason signings are always going to get more publicity since there are no games to distract from signings, trades etc.

Closed Thread