HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Free Agency Thread - Part Sechzehn: Canes Acquire Semin

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
So we can move assets to gain players similar to who we could have gotten for free in free agency?

And who can we get and who are we moving? Contrary to popular belief, not every D prospect is going to turn into a 40 goal scorer.
do you have a big list of guys we have missed so far? I count Parise who we couldn't have done anything about, Whitney who got overpaid and Semin who is debatable whether that's a good contract or not.

as far as who we can get, I have no idea. I don't have access to many NHL GMs.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Pens are $9.936M under the projected (not official until the CBA says it is) cap of $70.2M.

If it goes down a couple mil, we sign a couple guys... that could turn into <$6M in a hurry.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:06 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang fan 58 View Post
No he's not. What makes you think Sutter is going to be better defensively than Staal was last year? Man people really dont realize how much Staal did for us defensively at all around here.
I think it's just people trying to rationalize. I hope Staal finally gets the credit he deserves in Carolina.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:07 PM
khaoskennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
I've seen a few people throw the 12mil number around so I just assumed it was correct. But regardless, the point still stands. We have more than enough money to offer a contract like that if the term is only 1 year. Not that it matter because, as I said, I don't think getting top 6 talent is such a pressing concern. I just don't agree with the notion that signing a potential 40 goal scorer to a 1 year deal for 7 mil is all that ludicrous.
ya it's not ludicrous but apparently that's not a way shero wants to go
maybe he has a trade in mind or maybe he just wants to see how our young guys do then make a deadline deal.
in any case i'm not worried, i think we'll be fine no matter who we have playing on Sid's wings, he did pretty well with Cooke and TK when he came back last year

Old
07-26-2012, 05:09 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
I think it's just people trying to rationalize. I hope Staal finally gets the credit he deserves in Carolina.
Sutter was a better defensive player last year. It is what it is.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
I was saying all season that Staal's defense wasn't up to his own par this year. It was still very good, but Sutter's was better. Here's some support for that with stats.

http://hockeyanalysis.com/2012/06/23...randon-sutter/

Do I think Sutter is a better defensive player than Staal? Not when they are both playing a pure shutdown role. But Staal hasn't done that in two years. When he added the offense to his game he did it at the expense of his defense by taking more risks trying to score. Sutter has played a very defense first game his entire career. Because of that he has played better pure defense than Staal.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
do you have a big list of guys we have missed so far? I count Parise who we couldn't have done anything about, Whitney who got overpaid and Semin who is debatable whether that's a good contract or not.

as far as who we can get, I have no idea. I don't have access to many NHL GMs.
We've missed every FA with top 6 potential so far. ZP, Semin, Whitney are just the most notable.

And the, "there's a trade out there, I don't know what it is but it's there" argument is pretty weak.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
We've missed every FA with top 6 potential so far. ZP, Semin, Whitney are just the most notable.
so would you rather we had signed PA Parentou or Jiri Hudler instead of trying to get Parise or Suter? You don't think the same people complaining now would be complaining that we didn't take that risk?

Quote:
And the, "there's a trade out there, I don't know what it is but it's there" argument is pretty weak.
right, because fans usually predict trades months before they happen.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
So we can move assets to gain players similar to who we could have gotten for free in free agency?

And who can we get and who are we moving? Contrary to popular belief, not every D prospect is going to turn into a 40 goal scorer.
You're right, but Neal wasn't considered a 40 goal scorer when we traded for him. He was more of a 25 goal guy and PMD's can be traded for 25+ goal wingers.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:21 PM
Wes C Addle
Bernard Shakey

I love the sense of entitlement that every available Free Agent should sign with the Pens. Real life is going to be so disappointing for some.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:22 PM
gordie

Quote:
Let's just hope Shero has a plan we are not privy of that includes acquiring fresh new blood to bolster the wings because so far it has resulted in a big zero.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:22 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
You're right, but Neal wasn't considered a 40 goal scorer when we traded for him. He was more of a 25 goal guy and PMD's can be traded for 25+ goal wingers.
PMD's that have proven themselves in the NHL.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
so would you rather we had signed PA Parentou or Jiri Hudler instead of trying to get Parise or Suter? You don't think the same people complaining now would be complaining that we didn't take that risk?

right, because fans usually predict trades months before they happen.
Where did I say "instead of going after ZP"? Is Shero unable to talk to more than one FA at a time?

It's a weak argument and you know it. This team, currently, doesn't have the assets to acquire a legit top 6 winger.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:25 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes C Addle View Post
I love the sense of entitlement that every available Free Agent should sign with the Pens. Real life is going to be so disappointing for some.
I think it's just mounting disappointment as the summer has worn on. Human nature. Everyone wants to see a new player here who can make our team better (every summer) but people tend to forget Shero does almost all of his maneuvering for big-name players during the deadlines. I think the bottom line is, the best UFA are usually gone by July 1 (re-signed), the rest get overpaid much of the time and Shero isn't willing to overpay.

You can argue though (even though I'm not in this school) that it's OK to overpay for 1-2 years to get a guy like Semin or AK and try to win that way. But Shero always sticks to his MO / doesn't let the moves of other GMs change his strategy. Although the Weber thing might have. If he'd gone to Philly I think there's a reasonable chance he might've up his offer to Semin.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
And Gogo had played almost 200 NHL games when he was traded for Neal.

None of our D prospects even have 25 NHL games under their belts and almost all of them have 0.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:28 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:

None of our D prospects even have 25 NHL games under their belts and almost all of them have 0.
This is a fair point, as I'm someone who sees loading up on D talent as a means of acquiring assets (as guys develop into Goligoski types) in addition to keeping our own depth good. I think though even one very good season in the NHL would be enough for some GMs to feel comfortable trading substantial assets for substantial D return.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:28 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
PMD's that have proven themselves in the NHL.
Yeah I know. Should have specified.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:29 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Where did I say "instead of going after ZP"? Is Shero unable to talk to more than one FA at a time?
We don't have the cap space for any of the top 6 guys available AND Parise. Especially if he has any doubts about the defense.

Quote:
It's a weak argument and you know it. This team, currently, doesn't have the assets to acquire a legit top 6 winger.
I disagree. Some combination of Martin, Orpik, TK, Despres, Morrow, Harrington, Dumoulin, Bennett, Dupuis, Cooke and picks could get us a solid top 6 wing at least on the Kunitz level. After seeing what it cost to get Nash I don't know how you can honestly believe that.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:30 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:

Yes I know, I don't think guys like Morrow or Pouliot can get us a solid young winger at the moment.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:30 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Closin' 'er down fellas.

Closed Thread