HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

New Sabres Fan In Need of Guidance

Old
07-26-2012, 12:08 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
I read up on that a few months ago, actually. Best draft pick in NHL history, I must say.
Personally, if I was to start liking a sports team and knew very little about them, I would not read fan forum boards. Everyone has a differing opinion on many topics. I wouldn't want it to create a bias in my mind in regards to a certain player, owner, GM, city, etc....

I would read a bunch of out of town national articles. Just being aware not to read one source only. As is in Vancouver, there are too many loud mouths that spew their bias opinion and lack facts or perspective.

Good luck.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:11 PM
LGB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
I was at that game where Vanek scored the OT winner. Awesome game.

Leafs vs Sabres games usually have slightly more than half the arena cheering for the Leafs, and its an interesting dynamic. The fans seem to compete to be louder. One of the best non-playoff atmospheres in the NHL.
don't get too carried away, how many leafs/sabres games have you been to? People (usually leafs fans) tend to exaggerate the number of leafs fans there because there is more than an average road team would have, and because they are loud. These people make it to the Buffalo games so they aren't paying $300/ticket in TO, so they make the most of it. When you analyze it though from unbiased view you can clearly see the sabres fans have more people. In recent history the sabres always have around 2/3 of the fans there, I would know, I haven't missed a leafs/sabres game in Buffalo in 3 years

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:52 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Players you should like:

<SNIP>

Players you cry to yourself about at night:
Briere and Drury.
I approve this post.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Niagaradad

1) It is okay to like Buffalo even if you live on the proper side of the border (fan since '75)

2) Out of his mind during important Buffalo Sabres plays, play-by-play announcer Rick Jeanneret is also from this side of the border

3) The Sabres have a weakness at centre just like the Leafs do. The difference is that the Sabres did something about that at this year's draft

4) The coming of Zemgus Girgensons and Mikhail Grigorenko is going to make people forget that weakness at centre in a hurry.

5) Miller is a head case, Dom was flakier but also better.

6) I may have grown up on this side of the border but know it is better to wear blue and GOLD rather than blue and white.

7) when proposing trades with other teams it is okay to offer up "our" dregs for "their" stars just like with being a fan of any other team

8) Brett ********** Hull cheated!

Nuff said.

Niagaradad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:13 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niagaradad View Post
1) It is okay to like Buffalo even if you live on the proper side of the border (fan since '75)

2) Out of his mind during important Buffalo Sabres plays, play-by-play announcer Rick Jeanneret is also from this side of the border

3) The Sabres have a weakness at centre just like the Leafs do. The difference is that the Sabres did something about that at this year's draft

4) The coming of Zemgus Girgensons and Mikhail Grigorenko is going to make people forget that weakness at centre in a hurry.

6) I may have grown up on this side of the border but know it is better to wear blue and GOLD rather than blue and white.

7) when proposing trades with other teams it is okay to offer up "our" dregs for "their" stars just like with being a fan of any other team

Nuff said.
Just about everything is better than wearing the blue and white (unless it's a Canucks jersey!).

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:19 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:

Nuff said.
This post delivers.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 02:08 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Also, what passes for an optimistic Sabres fan (and Buffalo sports fan in general) exemplifies a minimally jaded cynicism.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Niagaradad

An optimist sees the glass as half-full.

A pessimist sees the glass as half-empty.

The Sabres fan see the team as half-a$$ed, complains bitterly about what might have been and hopes guardedly that the wool isn't being pulled over our eyes again!

Old
07-26-2012, 03:51 PM
kirby11

Quote:

The Sabres fan see the team as half-a$$ed, complains bitterly about what might have been and hopes guardedly that the wool isn't being pulled over our eyes again!
quote for truth

anyway, gonna throw in my 2 cents on the sabres. Good time to become a fan, IMO, what with the drafting of the G-men grigorenko and girgensons, the shift to trying to become a more difficult team to play against, and good old Pegula Power

Things you will probably like about this team: Tyler Ennis owning people...dude's hands are really quick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPHVV...feature=fvwrel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPxUGJ1DrQY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYY1EzVa2Q4

Jason Pominville's two way game. Very hard to find any faults with how he played last year, he was great as the captain
Marcus Foligno going beast mode http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9tUF...eature=related
Kaleta, Ott, and Gerbe trolling other teams/busting their butts
You no longer have to watch MAG try to play hockey

Thomas Vanek when he's on and not injured

Things you will probably not like:
Our powerplay giving up shorthanded goals
Ville Leino
Tyler Myers for a bit of time (unless he fixes his consistency issues, he's sucked at the start of each of the past 2 seasons and then gotten better)
Mike Weber trying to handle the puck
Lazy Vanek/injured and ineffective vanek
Drew Stafford failing to bury pucks on open nets
Watching pucks slide through Enroth's five hole
this is more an hfboards thing, but almost every time miller gives up a goal, at least a few people will say it was soft. Even if it goes in because of completely bad luck or it's an amazing shot.

Anyway, welcome aboard! Also, should point out that what constitutes optimism elsewhere probably does not exist for buffalo sports considering we have the bills and sabres

Last edited by kirby11: 07-26-2012 at 03:53 PM. Reason: wanted to add something
kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 04:34 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
Things you will probably not like:
Our powerplay giving up shorthanded goals
Watching Edler drop pass in his own zone on a powerplay during the playoffs was probably more painful
Ville Leino
Tyler Myers for a bit of time (unless he fixes his consistency issues, he's sucked at the start of each of the past 2 seasons and then gotten better)
Mike Weber trying to handle the puck
Lazy Vanek/injured and ineffective vanek
Drew Stafford failing to bury pucks on open nets
Watching pucks slide through Enroth's five hole
this is more an hfboards thing, but almost every time miller gives up a goal, at least a few people will say it was soft. Even if it goes in because of completely bad luck or it's an amazing shot.
Same story for Luongo
Hopefully I can get centre ice next season so I can catch all Sabres games in HD

Old
07-26-2012, 04:41 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Cry into your pillow at night.

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 04:48 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
Cry into your pillow at night.
What do you think I was doing on June 15th, 2011?

Old
07-26-2012, 04:53 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Hopefully I can get centre ice next season so I can catch all Sabres games in HD
oh well, at least you're used to seeing awful drop passes used on the PP then
here's how the sabres run it: D-man makes drop pass around center ice to a fast player (roy or ennis generally, if i remember right). Other 3 players stand at the blue line while this whole play is going on. Player who receives drop pass either chips the puck deep and is the only person for the sabres that has a chance at getting it because no one else was skating or has to try to deke through 4 guys who are waiting at the blue line

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 05:17 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
here's how the sabres run it: D-man makes drop pass around center ice to a fast player (roy or ennis generally, if i remember right). Other 3 players stand at the blue line while this whole play is going on. Player who receives drop pass either chips the puck deep and is the only person for the sabres that has a chance at getting it because no one else was skating or has to try to deke through 4 guys who are waiting at the blue line
Don't forget plan B! Someone playing the point (Myers, Ehrhoff or Pominville, usually) skates the puck through the neutral zone and executes the drop pass to the outside right after they get over the blue line. Then that guy chips it in deep.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 05:28 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Not sure why you would do this to yourself but at least no one can say that you are a bandwagon hopper!!

Welcome to the team and the board. Really smart (albeit long suffering) hockey knowledgable folks here on this board. Great place to post and learn.

P.S. Love your city, been there multiple times for youth hockey tournaments, work and vacations. Even know that Joe Sakic (best player to come out of B.C./Vancouver since Cyclone Taylor played there) isn't really from Burnaby.........:

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Hi everyone! I'm not sure if this should be a new thread or not, so mods can merge this with another thread if needed.

I've (somewhat) arbitrarily chosen (alright, it's slightly because of Cody Hodgson) the Sabres as my Eastern Conference team. As much as I'd love to dive right in, I don't know much about the team. I was wondering if you guys could help a new fan out and give me some background info and basic knowledge of the workings of the Sabre organisation and their players.

Thanks! And sorry once again if this shouldn't have its own thread.
I'm not surprised to learn that you are a female member of the human species. I understand that Mr. H had quite a puck bunny following in Van-Land. He's got quite an online puck bunny following here already, so you will fit right in.

I tend to judge players by how they play and the results they produce. So we probably wont get along.

Welcome.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:

To paraphrase Bill Cosby:

The difference between a glass half full or half empty depends on whether you're pouring or drinking.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 06:10 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
I'm not surprised to learn that you are a female member of the human species. I understand that Mr. H had quite a puck bunny following in Van-Land. He's got quite an online puck bunny following here already, so you will fit right in.

I tend to judge players by how they play and the results they produce. So we probably wont get along.

Welcome.
So you should like hodgson too if you really do that...

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 06:13 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Don't mind Miracles - he's just bitter his man-crush got sent out to Vancouver and has been taking it out on Hodgson ever since.

Anyway, welcome! The Nucks have been my 2nd team for quite awhile, and then you guys picked up former RIT player Tanev and just reaffirmed that.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
The only video of that Drury goal should be linked the one where RJ is losing his damn mind.
I still get chills watching that video.

Also, welcome to the Sabres board!

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 06:36 PM
Der Jaeger

On top of all of this, you must believe in your heart that you'll see Jason Pominville with the Cup over his head.

Last edited by Der Jaeger: 07-26-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Quote:
Don't forget plan B! Someone playing the point (Myers, Ehrhoff or Pominville, usually) skates the puck through the neutral zone and executes the drop pass to the outside right after they get over the blue line. Then that guy chips it in deep.
Sounds eerily similar to the Vancouver PP...

Quote:

Welcome.
Well, if I were a puck bunny type, I wouldn't be picking Hodgson as my favourite player I am female though, so I know I'm a rare species in the world of the sports fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Don't mind Miracles - he's just bitter his man-crush got sent out to Vancouver and has been taking it out on Hodgson ever since.

Anyway, welcome! The Nucks have been my 2nd team for quite awhile, and then you guys picked up former RIT player Tanev and just reaffirmed that.
Kassian? I actually had my Coho jersey changed to him (got my Coho jersey a month before he was traded... ), but I'm saving up money to get my Coho Buffalo jersey. Tanev's been awesome for us though!

Old
07-26-2012, 08:22 PM
Niagaradad

Quote:
And good ol' plan C where you execute a no-look drop pass at the blue line without realizing the trailing guy's not there any more, leading to a breakaway and a "softee" behind Miller.

Old
07-26-2012, 08:42 PM
Bosswally

Foligno- only played 14 games with the Sabres last year but play a good hard game, doesn't have all the skill in the world but will hit somebody and also score some points and also has shown some leadership potential and I also consider him the king of garbage goals because he also seems to score with them, example his first goal in Buffalo

Also someone mentioned earlier that he took over a game against leafs last year here are some choice moments from that game

Bosswally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

Welcome.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote