HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Room VII

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2012, 05:45 PM
jkrx

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
This has to be their worst defense corps heading into a season, in at least 20 years.
I won't disagree with that but free agency isnt what it used to be. Besides this would be a good chance to see how our prospects stacks up. I really hope Brendan Smith gets ice-time.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:58 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
I won't disagree with that but free agency isnt what it used to be. Besides this would be a good chance to see how our prospects stacks up. I really hope Brendan Smith gets ice-time.
I'm sure he'll be given every chance to succeed. Right now I'd say the Wings have a lower-tier #1, and three #4 guys leading the way.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
Detroit getting snubbed really has to be the biggest surprise this offseason. $13M in cap still and they just can't spend it. Pretty bizarre.
I think it has more to do with them not being willing to hand out those rediculous contracts.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:01 PM
jkrx

Quote:
I'm sure he'll be given every chance to succeed. Right now I'd say the Wings have a lower-tier #1, and three #4 guys leading the way.
My biggest concerns is that Red Wigns has no safe guards as of yet. It means that Kindl, Ericsson and White must increase their level of play.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:05 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
I think it has more to do with them not being willing to hand out those rediculous contracts.
The bonus-laden ones? Maybe, but they front-load contracts unlike Burke so I don't think that part of it would hold them back.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:11 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
The bonus-laden ones? Maybe, but they front-load contracts unlike Burke so I don't think that part of it would hold them back.
They are not as front loaded as Webers or Suters contracts. Zetterbergs and Franzens contracts tail off a bit at the end. While the formers has some pretty large dips after just a few years.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:18 PM
jkrx

I think the best solution is to not use an average on the cap hit.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:21 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
My biggest concerns is that Red Wigns has no safe guards as of yet. It means that Kindl, Ericsson and White must increase their level of play.
I wasn’t even counting Kindl, I was counting Quincey among those three #4 guys. Kindl has a ways to go still from the looks of it.

Quote:
No, the opposite. Keep the average on the cap hit, but you also must pay out the same dollars every season.

In any case, it should be apples to apples. Cap hit and money paid each season should be the same.

Also, not sure what the 35-year old rule achieves. If you want to have that rule in, fine, but have it in for every player regardless of age.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
I'd support it just to see the Islanders squirm to meet floor

I don't think you're gonna get rid of front-loading so unless you make it so all years have to pay the same I think a cap at 5 years (or what arbitrary number you like under 10) would be the way to go just to limit the effects it can have.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:33 PM
jkrx

Quote:
I wasn’t even counting Kindl, I was counting Quincey among those three #4 guys. Kindl has a ways to go still from the looks of it.

No, the opposite. Keep the average on the cap hit, but you also must pay out the same dollars every season.

In any case, it should be apples to apples. Cap hit and money paid each season should be the same.

Also, not sure what the 35-year old rule achieves. If you want to have that rule in, fine, but have it in for every player regardless of age.
I have repressed any memory of us ever dealing a 1st for Quincey.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:38 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
I have repressed any memory of us ever dealing a 1st for Quincey.

Old
07-26-2012, 08:37 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I really thought he was going to one of Detroit, Pittsburgh, or NJ. All three teams have loads of cap space.
There had been increasing rumors of semin to the canes by most of the canes board insiders. I had heard some stuff myself but thought he would hold out for a 3-4 year deal

Old
07-27-2012, 12:30 AM
Hawkman
RIP Jean Beliveau

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
There had been increasing rumors of semin to the canes by most of the canes board insiders. I had heard some stuff myself but thought he would hold out for a 3-4 year deal
Quote:
'Canes, Semin agree on $7M, 1-year contract (Yahoo! Sports) "- 8 hours ago"

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) -- Free-agent forward Alexander Semin has agreed to terms with the Carolina Hurricanes on a one-year contract worth $7 million, the team said Thursday.
Voracek, Flyers agree on contract extension (Yahoo! Sports) "- 6 hours ago"

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- The Flyers signed forward Jakub Voracek to a four-year contract Thursday, worth $17 million.
Pensions, ice, training camp highlight labor talks (Yahoo! Sports) "- 3 hours ago"

TORONTO (AP) -- The NHL Players Association made a number of presentations to owners on Thursday, as talks between the union and the NHL concluded for the week.
Bowman to coach in Winter Classic alumni matchup (Yahoo! Sports) "- 3 hours ago"

DETROIT (AP) -- Scotty Bowman is one of four coaches set to participate in the alumni matchup in conjunction with the Winter Classic.
News

Old
07-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Watching baseball and I dont get this sport lol. It seems fun but I dont really understand it.

Old
07-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
Watching baseball and I dont get this sport lol. It seems fun but I dont really understand it.
It's not fun.

Old
07-27-2012, 05:52 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
It's not fun.
lol I think it is but maybe its because I dont understand it. Do toronto suck at baseball too?

Old
07-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
lol I think it is but maybe its because I dont understand it. Do toronto suck at baseball too?
Toronto sucks at everything.....

Old
07-27-2012, 06:09 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

I always liked baseball growing up , I love the pitcher/hitter confrontation which is pretty much what baseball is , but when the Expos got out of Montreal I always felt dirty watching it and slowly but surely I completely stopped watching.

I remember when I was younger the afternoons swimming in the pool and having baseball on the radio , good times.

Old
07-27-2012, 06:29 PM
seventieslord

Baseball is fun to play... Absolutely terrible to watch. Hockey spoils you for all other sports.

Old
07-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Hawkman
RIP Jean Beliveau

Quote:
Baseball is fun to play... Absolutely terrible to watch. Hockey spoils you for all other sports.
Agreed. Football and post Jordan basketball are unwatchable also.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:27 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Made Me View Post
...post Jordan basketball... unwatchable.
word.

I love the FLUIDITY of basketball as akin to hockey but it's rare to see the flow as beautiful and intense as in hockey (though some march madness college ball approximates).

Tennis rallies are sometimes comparable, but the stops and starts of football and baseball are intolerable to me these days, except in highlight montage.

Soccer can be exciting if it didn't take so bloody long to move the ball up field, with all that slow play.

All in all, basketball and soccer are closest to hockey, though inferior cousins.

I like sports, but I love hockey.

Old
07-31-2012, 01:39 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

London is a terrible venue for the olympics. The "beach" volleyball women are completely covered by jumpsuits. No bikinis. One of the only summer sports worth watching is ruined

Old
07-31-2012, 01:44 AM
Hawkman
RIP Jean Beliveau

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
London is a terrible venue for the olympics. The "beach" volleyball women are completely covered by jumpsuits. No bikinis. One of the only summer sports worth watching is ruined
Agreed. The players play and practice on the beach in bikinis outside of the Olympics. I'm gonna watch the women's US hoops, if I can figure out when they're on.

Old
07-31-2012, 03:09 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Baseball is the only sport in the world that can be played while eating. Also, it was designed specifically to be both played and observed while drinking heavily. It is the only sport where players carry their own supply of bubble gum, candy, chewing tobacco, and/or cigarettes on their person during game play. It is the only sport that exceeds American football in the amount of time spent talking, scratching oneself, making dirty jokes with the officials and otherwise goofing off.

So in that sense, yes... baseball is fun.

Old
07-31-2012, 05:16 AM
Hawkman
RIP Jean Beliveau

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Baseball is the only sport in the world that can be played while eating. Also, it was designed specifically to be both played and observed while drinking heavily. It is the only sport where players carry their own supply of bubble gum, candy, chewing tobacco, and/or cigarettes on their person during game play. It is the only sport that exceeds American football in the amount of time spent talking, scratching oneself, making dirty jokes with the officials and otherwise goofing off. So in that sense, yes... baseball is fun.
It's also a sport where you can be an overweight pitcher who can't run a 10 minute mile and still be the best pitcher. At least in hockey, basketball, soccer, tennis, they are fit athletes with good conditioning unlike some in baseball (pitchers), football (linemen), and golf, who are really overweight and out of shape.

Closed Thread