HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Free Agency Thread - Part XXI: Weepy Tears & Angst (A. Kostitsyn Edition)

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic
Trying really hard right now to think of something dumber than #Canes guaranteeing Alexander Semin $7 million. Any takers?

is he serious!? i'm not going to hang Shero for not signing Semin but at 1 year how is that a bad deal?

Old
07-26-2012, 04:52 PM
RehnX

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThosePuckingPenguins View Post
Our offense is fine, it's our defense that needs work. That's why I won't be too upset if we don't get Doan or anyone else. We were what? Top five in goals last season? And that was without Sid the majority of the time. We'll be fine there.

We just need defense and badly. Hopefully Shero can work something at the trade deadline for a defenseman.
We really don't NEED anything. . .Our defense was bad in the one round we played in the playoffs, it was fine all year, and looked great down the stretch.

Now it's bulking up, and yes, we also need defense. I think we could trade for Scuderi, but there really is no one on the FA market worth all that much, and there is NO way we fill up 10m in cap space by trading for defense, unless some GM is full-Holmgren.

The fact is, the East CONTINUES to get better, and we're a contender talking about using a guy with 1 career goal in our top 6, and apparently that's OK.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Sid/Geno/Neal can't carry us through 16 wins in the playoffs. We need another dangerous forward. Staal leaving necessitates it.
I agree. But it's not necessary that we have it today.

I also think Kunitz deserves to be in the group of good forwards. Not that it really matters

Old
07-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
Trying really hard right now to think of something dumber than #Canes guaranteeing Alexander Semin $7 million. Any takers?

is he serious!? i'm not going to hang Shero for not signing Semin but at 1 year how is that a bad deal?
your tweet is bad and you should feel bad

Old
07-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RehnX View Post
We really don't NEED anything. . .Our defense was bad in the one round we played in the playoffs, it was fine all year, and looked great down the stretch.

Now it's bulking up, and yes, we also need defense. I think we could trade for Scuderi, but there really is no one on the FA market worth all that much, and there is NO way we fill up 10m in cap space by trading for defense, unless some GM is full-Holmgren.

The fact is, the East CONTINUES to get better, and we're a contender talking about using a guy with 1 career goal in our top 6, and apparently that's OK.
Other than the Rangers, name a playoff team in the east that has gotten better. Hell, include the west.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:

Yah that's a little stupid and evidence of how the media is not able to separate itself from the agenda of the team. It's not a deal I would care to see made in a perfect world, but it's not terrible either because of the term and because Carolina still has more cap space than we do even after the signing.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondello View Post
How despondent is everyone going to be when Doan signs somewhere else?
I won't be despondent at all. The cynic in me pretty figures he will sign elsewhere. It would be more of a shock to me if we actually did sign Doan.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Pancakes

Eric Tangradi stinks and I'm going to be pretty sad if he's in our top six at the start of the season.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:58 PM
mpp9

Dejan's an idiot. Same guy who said Paul Martin has negative trade value.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:58 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:

If Semin had signed with the Pens it would've been rah rah, good deal, only one year, prove himself, Geno will help cause he's Russian!1!1!, blah blah blah. If he thinks Semin's contract is the dumbest one going into this season, he should probably look around the league a bit more.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
Eric Tangradi stinks and I'm going to be pretty sad if he's in our top six at the start of the season.
Ryan Malone stinks and I'm going to be pretty sad if he's in our top six at the start of the season.
-Bridge Jumpers circa July 2003

yes, I know its not a perfect comparison. But they are both similar type players trying to make their impact in the league at the age of 23.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:59 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

I think Ray Shero needs to make more moves that make us fans happy and less moves that are smart, safe moves. Risky moves, such as overpaying for unknown prospects or talented-yet-neurotic Europeans should be given highest priority.

I also think a good third of you should be mercilessly beaten with sacks of oranges, though, so what do I know?

/snark

Patience is a virtue. As witnessed, oh, I'd say about 5 times already this off-season.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I've always liked Kostitsyn. Although he strikes me as a 2nd/3rd line tweener that always leaves you wanting more which can be frustrating but our current alternatives for the top 6 aren't any better in that regard. I cannot see Shero signing him though.

I think it's Doan or bust in UFA and that probably means bust because of Doan's likely preferences. Shero will have to continue to test our patience and maybe his own by waiting for the right trade opportunity to come along.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:03 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I actually hope Doan signs somewhere tomorrow and we go into camp the way we are. That way I know Shero will be working a solid trade as opposed to overpaying other players. And I keep seeing all the teams saying they need a defender - when the Pens are sitting on a boat load of prospects. That is some quality **** right there.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I actually hope Doan signs somewhere tomorrow and we go into camp the way we are. That way I know Shero will be working a solid trade as opposed to overpaying other players. And I keep seeing all the teams saying they need a defender - when the Pens are sitting on a boat load of prospects. That is some quality **** right there.
dude didn't you hear? They're worthless.

I'm sorry I'm turning bitter.

At least Bylsma currently has no choice but to give Tangradi or Jeffrey a shot in the top 9. Right?

Old
07-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Crozbar

Not surprised about Semin, since it was reported a few days ago that he was negotiating with Carolina.

I'm fine with our lines the way they are..

I'm not mad we didn't pay Semin 7mil.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:05 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Ryan Malone stinks and I'm going to be pretty sad if he's in our top six at the start of the season.
-Bridge Jumpers circa July 2003
I'll happily eat crow if Tangradi makes the team and miraculously does not suck.

More likely people will make excuses for his poor play (Bylsma doesn't just hand him top six minutes ) while screaming about how Tyler Kennedy is terrible even though TK will out produce Tangradi by a wide margin.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I've always liked Kostitsyn. Although he strikes me as a 2nd/3rd line tweener that always leaves you wanting more which can be frustrating but our current alternatives for the top 6 aren't any better in that regard. I cannot see Shero signing him though.

I think it's Doan or bust in UFA and that probably means bust because of Doan's likely preferences. Shero will have to continue to test our patience and maybe his own by waiting for the right trade opportunity to come along.
Whatever Kostitsyn's flaws (not really a big fan of his), he is unquestionably a much better player than Kennedy or Tangradi, the first two options to move up. And unlike the Semin-load (or Doan), he won't cost us anything close to $7M (or too many years in Doan's case), so we might be able to sign AK for a couple years until things sort out with Geno and Tang and the rest of the D, and have better offensive depth in the Top 6...

Old
07-26-2012, 05:07 PM
ThosePuckingPenguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Maybe not someone like a Shea Weber but someone like a Hal Gill or Rob Scuderi. A solid 3rd/4th veteran defenseman. I'm interested to see how Paul Martin plays this season because he was solid in 10/11. We'll see if he bounces back. Orpik's play the last couple seasons has been underwhelming and I don't feel safe with throwing a couple of rookies in our defense for the season.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:08 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Whatever Kostitsyn's flaws, he is unquestionably a much better player than Kennedy or Tangradi, the first two options to move up. And unlike the Semin-load (or Doan), he won't cost us anything close to $7M (or too many years in Doan's case), so we might be able to sign AK for a couple years until things sort out with Geno and Tang and the rest of the D, and have better offensive depth in the Top 6...
Andrei Kostitsyn actually throws hits as well (112 this year). He's inconsistent but what 20-20 player isn't?

Probably Doan or bust though for Shero.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:10 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovahkiin View Post
Per Eric Tangradi's Facebook Page:

The Hockey New's 2012 Pittsburgh Penguins home opener projected lines:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Tangradi-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy
Adams-Vitale-Glass
I can live with that, at least to start the season and see how it works out ... Assuming that Jeffrey will be the 13th forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Sid/Geno/Neal can't carry us through 16 wins in the playoffs. We need another dangerous forward. Staal leaving necessitates it.
Consider this for just a moment ... our PK was flat out horrible during the Philly series. Now, imagine instead of scoring goals, Staal was performing as a shut-down center and the PK was the beast that it was at one time. Do you think that maybe by preventing most of those goals, then maybe the Pens wouldn't have needed to score so many goals to win? So, maybe, by having a 3C in Sutter who is a shut-down center ... maybe we don't actually need more offense? And it's not like Sutter doesn't put up any points at all.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:11 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I'll happily eat crow if Tangradi makes the team and miraculously does not suck.

More likely people will make excuses for his poor play (Bylsma doesn't just hand him top six minutes ) while screaming about how Tyler Kennedy is terrible even though TK will out produce Tangradi by a wide margin.
I don't want them to hand the spot to Tangradi. I think he'll earn it over TK. Well, depending on the line-up. If the plan is

Kunitz - Sid - Dupuis
TK/Tangradi - Malkin - Neal

I think Tangradi takes it because he compliments that line better even if TK is overall better and outproduces him. I like TK, but he just doesn't fit that line because they need a guy to work in the corners and get them the puck. TK is undersized and too trigger happy to mesh with them in my opinion.

If it's

TK/Tangradi - Sid - Dupuis
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

I think TK takes it. That's a more balanced line as far as what each player brings and doesn't need as specific of a role as the other combination would imo.

I also think TK is a better fit for the third line than Tangradi. Him being trigger happy is an asset there. Tangradi is more of a passer.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:11 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Andrei Kostitsyn actually throws hits as well (112 this year). He's inconsistent but what 20-20 player isn't?

Probably Doan or bust though for Shero.
I think AK could be a 25G guy here without much trouble. Pretty much he'd end up a Russian Kunitz type, which would be fine by me. Not an exact analogy but close enough for our purposes.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:13 PM
gordie

Quote:

Does Dejan take the what has been said about Semin out of Washington as some sort of gospel? When Heatley has been mentioned as trade possibility that's when I start to worry. Heatley has a long record of disappointing different organizations unlike Semin who has only played for one.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:15 PM
mpp9

Philly's team defense and goaltending was ****. And Sid/Geno still struggled to consistently produce throughout the series. Rangers will make it that much harder.

Closed Thread