HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Offseason Armchair GM Thread Part IIX (aka VIII)

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2012, 03:40 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
Called it! Semin signs 1 year in Carolina for $7m (per Dreger)
dammit

07-26-2012, 03:43 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
dammit
Come on. You really didn't think we would sign him, did you?

As much as I felt he was a good fit I never expected him to become a Shark. I really don't want Doan unless he signs for under 4M/year. Its all on DW's shoulders now to pull a good trade(s).

07-26-2012, 04:00 PM
sjsharklover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post

As much as I felt he was a good fit I never expected him to become a Shark. I really don't want Doan unless he signs for under 4M/year. Its all on DW's shoulders now to pull a good trade(s).
Didn't really think we would sign semin but the fact is unless a decent size deal is upcoming we are running out of options

Old
07-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
You don't do IIX.

Didn't expect Channing Tatum to show up on HF though, gotta say.
Yeah, I realized that after I typed it but I didn't feel like changing it.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:07 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Quote:
No, but I say dammit when the Sharks get knocked out of the playoffs, too

Old
07-26-2012, 04:29 PM
sjshrky27

At this point I wouldnt be suprised if Doan signs with an eastern team.

Seems like everyone else is.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:42 PM
domon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
At this point I wouldnt be suprised if Doan signs with an eastern team.

Seems like everyone else is.
Minnesota?

Old
07-26-2012, 04:44 PM
sjshrky27

Quote:
Originally Posted by domon View Post
Minnesota?
Yea, I supposed your right, but one could argue that.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:09 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
No, but I say dammit when the Sharks get knocked out of the playoffs, too
very true.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:17 PM
Kershaw

Jim Cerny from Blueshirtsunited.com said the Rangers are interested in adding RH, PPQB, PMD for the finishing touches on the roster. I can only think of Dan Boyle that fits this description. With the signing of Stuart, potential of Demers and emergence of Burns, would the Sharks contemplate on moving Boyle? I'm sure Boyle wouldn't put the Rangers as one of the eight teams he wouldn't accept a trade to, but crazier things have happened. What would it take to get Boyle from the Sharks?

Old
07-26-2012, 05:21 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Jim Cerny from Blueshirtsunited.com said the Rangers are interested in adding RH, PPQB, PMD for the finishing touches on the roster. I can only think of Dan Boyle that fits this description. With the signing of Stuart, potential of Demers and emergence of Burns, would the Sharks contemplate on moving Boyle? I'm sure Boyle wouldn't put the Rangers as one of the eight teams he wouldn't accept a trade to, but crazier things have happened. What would it take to get Boyle from the Sharks?
Whole thread about that just below this one:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1221017

Short answers:

It's possible, not likely unless the Sharks first acquired a replacement PMD (like Yandle). We've speculated some kind of Yandle for Pavelski+ deal for instance, then moving Boyle.

What would it take? A decent return centered around wingers. LW preferably, but both wings are in need. We could and would likely also be looking to move Clowe.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
A solid top 6 winger.

Personally I don't think we make good trading partners. We were in the market for a goal scorer similar to the Rangers (before Nash). We will not give up Boyle for prospects or futures unless we can replace him with a similar player.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:36 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Quote:
McDonagh to start.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Fatturdmanshark
Kiss my Fins

filpula for ?

Old
07-26-2012, 05:37 PM
sjshrky27

Quote:
What would it take to get Boyle from the Sharks?
Nash

Old
07-26-2012, 05:42 PM
sjshrky27

The thought of Demers and Braun picking up the slack for Boyle if he is traded scares the **** out of me. The Sharks wouldnt have a D player that could skate the puck out of the zone...

Old
07-26-2012, 05:47 PM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharski View Post
but Niemi did terrible this past year, too, and we survived...
This is just willful disregard of the facts... I don't love Niemi but the sharks were top 10 in GAA. Niemi couldn't have been terrible. Personally I think the team was terrible in front of him for long stretches...

Old
07-26-2012, 05:49 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
A solid top 6 winger.

Personally I don't think we make good trading partners. We were in the market for a goal scorer similar to the Rangers (before Nash). We will not give up Boyle for prospects or futures unless we can replace him with a similar player.
Unfortunately, the Rangers traded their expandable top 6 players in the Nash trade. I agree that we don't make good trading partners. Without Boyle, SJ's transition game would take a hit and that's the biggest problem for the Rangers and why they struggled on breakouts in the playoffs.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:52 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
The thought of Demers and Braun picking up the slack for Boyle if he is traded scares the **** out of me. The Sharks wouldnt have a D player that could skate the puck out of the zone...
You realize we have this guy named Burns who is kind of good at hockey and one of the best skating defensemen int he league right?

Old
07-26-2012, 05:54 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Burns did plenty of skating it out of the zone. The difference between Burns and Boyle is speed (Burns is better) and offensive vision (Boyle is much better). And Boyle does have an offensive blindspot with regards whoever is his d partner. I think Burns can match or better some of the proposed Boyle replacements such as Yandle. I do think that redistributed defensive minutes might be to the Sharks advantage if TM refuses to acknowledge Boyle's shortcomings against top matchups.

I have no doubt that the Sharks PP takes a hit if they move Boyle even if they acquire someone like Yandle (I am dramatically opposed to the proposed Pavs/Yandle swap). The reason for moving Boyle has to stand on its own for me. I think moving him would leave less of a hole than moving some others. Moving and replacing him takes the downgrade irrespective of the replacement. Getting a major upgrade on the wing might be worth the hit.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:58 PM
NWShark*

Too many doom and gloomer here... this team makes the playoffs as 4-6 seed easy. They had the 2nd best PP (I think?). The PK will be a ton better just because of the new scheme. The defense will be much improved with the addition of Stuart, another year for Braun and a bounceback from Demers. I bet Burns makes the jump to 50 point man with the coaching change to Robinson. We now have the personnel to play in front of niemi the way Chicago did so GAA should be top 5 IMO.

Forwards will have to play tighter defensively to minimize their lack of speed. A major injury upfront though could derail them to a 7 or 8 seed. DW will still be looking for trade options as the season begins. There's always someone who becomes expendable on another team in the first couple months of a season due to a rookies or young players performance. One of our crap shoot players will pan out. At least one... Sheppard, Zeus, etc... One of our prospects may make the jump this year too. This team has way too much to be objectively considered as a risk to miss the playoffs.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:00 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Burns did plenty of skating it out of the zone. The difference between Burns and Boyle is speed (Burns is better) and offensive vision (Boyle is much better). And Boyle does have an offensive blindspot with regards whoever is his d partner. I think Burns can match or better some of the proposed Boyle replacements such as Yandle. I do think that redistributed defensive minutes might be to the Sharks advantage if TM refuses to acknowledge Boyle's shortcomings against top matchups.

I have no doubt that the Sharks PP takes a hit if they move Boyle even if they acquire someone like Yandle (I am dramatically opposed to the proposed Pavs/Yandle swap). The reason for moving Boyle has to stand on its own for me. I think moving him would leave less of a hole than moving some others. Moving and replacing him takes the downgrade irrespective of the replacement. Getting a major upgrade on the wing might be worth the hit.
We only have so many roster spots though. I think we all agree Thornton and Couture are going nowhere, and Marleau and Havlat are the only fast skaters in the top-6. That leaves Pavelski and Clowe. Obviously if you replace Clowe, it helps, but is that enough? Especially if the Sharks sign Doan, who is not a great skater.

I don't like moving Pavelski either, but given this situation it seems like 'fast top-6' and 'keep pavelski' are mutually exclusive.

I don't subscribe to the Pavelski on the 3rd line option either, especially since it sounds like Handzus is coming back (which further adds to the problem).

Old
07-26-2012, 06:02 PM
KirbyDots

Anyone have espn insider? Whats the Sharks article on their rumor page?

Old
07-26-2012, 06:02 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
Too many doom and gloomer here... this team makes the playoffs as 4-6 seed easy. They had the 2nd best PP (I think?). The PK will be a ton better just because of the new scheme. The defense will be much improved with the addition of Stuart, another year for Braun and a bounceback from Demers. I bet Burns makes the jump to 50 point man with the coaching change to Robinson. We now have the personnel to play in front of niemi the way Chicago did so GAA should be top 5 IMO.

Forwards will have to play tighter defensively to minimize their lack of speed. A major injury upfront though could derail them to a 7 or 8 seed. DW will still be looking for trade options as the season begins. There's always someone who becomes expendable on another team in the first couple months of a season due to a rookies or young players performance. One of our crap shoot players will pan out. At least one... Sheppard, Zeus, etc... One of our prospects may make the jump this year too. This team has way too much to be objectively considered as a risk to miss the playoffs.
People said the exact same thing last year and we nearly missed the playoffs. In fact, I believe Easy and I were soundly mocked when we predicted that last season around this time. (I think it was Easy...)

Old
07-26-2012, 06:05 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I think moving him would leave less of a hole than moving some others. Moving and replacing him takes the downgrade irrespective of the replacement. Getting a major upgrade on the wing might be worth the hit.
I agree. The hypothetical D without Boyle doesn't look too bad, and with Pavelski, the winger(s) they get for Boyle, and maybe a FA, the forward depth looks good. With that and the change in coaching philosophy, the team sounds pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I don't like moving Pavelski either, but given this situation it seems like 'fast top-6' and 'keep pavelski' are mutually exclusive.
You could still play fast without having fast forwards. The 09-10 and 10-11 teams definitely weren't "fast", but they made it work with fast breakouts and quick transitions.

Closed Thread