HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Free Agency Thread - Part XXI: Weepy Tears & Angst (A. Kostitsyn Edition)

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2012, 06:15 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

vCash: 500
The Heatley thing was invented by Full R***i. In his next report he'll tell us that "there is nothing happening" on the "Martin and TK for Landeskog front". Because there is no front with these players and never was. It's called saying anything to get attention.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:16 PM
HuskerTornado
Those Aren't Pillows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic
Trying really hard right now to think of something dumber than #Canes guaranteeing Alexander Semin $7 million. Any takers?

is he serious!? i'm not going to hang Shero for not signing Semin but at 1 year how is that a bad deal?
It's sunshine pumping, which there seems to be an awful lot of going around this summer. "It's GREAT the Pens didn't sign that high profile free agent because...blah blah blah...lol crazy team for giving that much $ to said high profile free agent!" Of course there's also the polar opposite of "That damned Shero!"

It's fine if you think the team is ok going into next year, it's fine if you don't like certain free agents, but lets not pretend that these free agents headed elsewhere wouldn't have helped the Pens.

The thing I don't really "get" right now is why Shero is spending time on a pipe dream of Doan (he'll be a Yote next year) and really heard of no interest in Semin, other than a comment in passing weeks ago by Bylsma as him being an available FA they could look at.

If Doan signs with the Pens I'll eat my words and be happy about it, but I don't see that happening.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I don't want them to hand the spot to Tangradi. I think he'll earn it over TK. Well, depending on the line-up. If the plan is

Kunitz - Sid - Dupuis
TK/Tangradi - Malkin - Neal
That's an awfully slow line though. Neal and Tangradi are not the fleetest of foot. I feel like Kunitz's speed really benefited that line this year. With Tangradi and Neal on the wings, that line is going to have a tough time with puck retrievals against mobile defenses.

I'd rather do:

Tangradi-Sid-Dupuis
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

if Tangradi is on the team. That leaves two lines with a big guy, a speedy forechecker, and Sid/Geno.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:21 PM
SaturdayNightSlegr

Dejan's right. How on earth could Shero justify paying Alexander "have you seen me" Semin 7m (21g 54 pts) while paying James Neal 5m (40g 80pts)? There's a reason most of Semin's contracts have been 1 year deals....

Old
07-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
That's an awfully slow line though. Neal and Tangradi are not the fleetest of foot. I feel like Kunitz's speed really benefited that line this year. With Tangradi and Neal on the wings, that line is going to have a tough time with puck retrievals against mobile defenses.

I'd rather do:

Tangradi-Sid-Dupuis
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

if Tangradi is on the team. That leaves two lines with a big guy, a speedy forechecker, and Sid/Geno.
it also leaves one line with the two better wingers and one line with the two worse wingers. Want to balance it?

Dupuis - Crosby - Neal
Kunitz - Malkin - TK/Tangradi

not a popular choice, I know. But it balances both things we are talking about. I like my original line more, but I like this more than stacking one line and having Dupuis be the good winger on the other. Malkin can have the number 1 and number 4 wing, Sid can have 2 and 3. Everyones happy.

I also don't think Tangradi's speed is a problem. So there's that.

need I say more? Seriously though, I think him and Neal are plenty fast and definitely plenty physical and tough to play against.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Did anyone realistically think that A. we had a real shot at Semin, and B. he was going to sign for some reasonable amount?

Old
07-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Flat Stanley

There's really nothing to talk about as far as the Penguins are concerned. Everyone is just arguing. Here is my take on Shero's off-season.

Trades:

G Tomas Vokoun (UFA Rights)

2012 7th round pick

Penguins needed to address their goaltending situation. Brent Johnson didn't prove himself to be a reliable back up last season. Marc-Andre Fleury wasn't really sharp in the playoffs, so Ray Shero went out and acquired the rights to arguably the best goalie on the free agent market and signed him to a 2 year contract. A reliable back up with the capability of starting, Vokoun should help Fleury with the work load, maybe even his consistency by having Fleury know that there is another goalie that the Pens can go to.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2012 8th overall pick (Derrick Pouliot)
C Brandon Sutter
D Brian Dumoulin

C Jordan Staal

Ray Shero offered Jordan Staal a 10 year, $60M contract extension and he declined because he would jeopardize the chance to play with his brother. Shero still planned on moving forward with Staal even though he could leave in 2013. Finally, Shero decided to trade Staal, and with Carolina knowing that Staal would possibly go there as a UFA in 2013. Shero and Rutherford made a hockey deal, gave us a great replacement 3rd line center. A solid D prospect in Dumoulin who knows some players in the Pens organization and the 8th overall pick which the Pens used on Derrick Pouliot. A smooth skating offensive defenseman who is an excellent passer and is good in the transition game.

D Harrison Ruopp
2012 81st overall pick (Oskar Sundqvist)
G Marc Cheverie

D Zbynek Michalek

Ray Shero wanted to trade a defenseman and dump salary. Zbynek Michalek was that defenseman. A player who struggled on the Penguins blue line, Michalek was traded to a city he and his family were familiar with. He also joins his old team where his style of play fits perfectly. In return, Ray Shero got a decent D prospect in Harrison Ruopp (Shero had his eye on him in the draft last year, said he considered picking him in the 2nd round), G Marc Chevrie who was just an added contract to make room for Phoenix, and a 3rd round pick which we used on Oskar Sundqvist to bolster the forward depth. Plus Shero made room for Simon Despres, who is expected to be NHL ready for the Penguins.

Pittsburgh Penguins free agent signings:

LW Tanner Glass - a 4th line upgrade over Arron Asham. He is a bigger, more physical winger being top 10 in hits last season. He also drops the gloves (even though he's not the best fighter) and he's a decent penalty killer.

G Jeff Zatkoff - AHL goalie with NHL potential, I think he beats Thiessen for the starting job in WBS.

C Riley Holzapfel - AHL depth signing

D Dylan Reese - AHL depth signing

C Warren Peters - AHL depth signing

C Trevor Smith - AHL depth signing

C Philippe Dupuis - AHL depth signing

F Benn Ferriero - AHL depth signing.

Over the past couple of seasons, our AHL depth signings were Ryan Craig, Andrew Hutchinson, Colin McDonald, Jason Williams, Alexandre Picard, Scott Munroe etc. I think Shero improved the depth of the Penguins.

Pittsburgh Penguins CONFIRMED targets:

Zach Parise - Penguins had an offer for him, chose to go play for his home team. Nothing the Penguins could do.

Ryan Suter - Penguins had an offer for him, wanted to stay in the Western Conference, close to home, with Parise in Minnesota. Nothing the Penguins could do.

Shane Doan - Penguins have an offer for him. He wants to stay in Phoenix, he's visiting other teams. IMO, he's not going to play in the Eastern Conference, I think he will re-sign in Phoenix.

So while Ray Shero hasn't added a top 6 winger yet, he improved this team's goaltending, 4th line, PK and team depth. So it isn't like Ray Shero has been lazy this summer, he's been busy. He's just looking for the right move.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

I've had just about enough of these well-reasoned posts. It's time to instigate an all-out panic.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:42 PM
Zbynek

**** a duck.

As much as I would love AK46 on this roster, let's face it, Shero won't sign him. We weren't interested in Semin, chances are we won't be interested in Kostitsyn either.

Shero won't give Doan an offer good enough in either term or $$$ to make him want to come to Pittsburgh.

It's safe to say Shero is looking at trade options or simply waiting until the trade deadline.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:43 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbynek View Post
**** a duck.

As much as I would love AK46 on this roster, let's face it, Shero won't sign him. We weren't interested in Semin, chances are we won't be interested in Kostitsyn either.

Shero won't give Doan an offer good enough in either term or $$$ to make him want to come to Pittsburgh.

It's safe to say Shero is looking at trade options or simply waiting until the trade deadline.
sources for any of that? Or just speculation?

Old
07-26-2012, 06:45 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I've had just about enough of these well-reasoned posts. It's time to instigate an all-out panic.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

I think we should get rid of Paul Martin just to see if we can get close to the cap floor and make people's mind's blow by winning the cup.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I think we should get rid of Paul Martin just to see if we can get close to the cap floor and make people's mind's blow by winning the cup.
If Hollywood has taught me anything, the underdog always wins. Look at LA. Good thinking

Old
07-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Xavier Laflamme

I still think we're a worse team then we were last year but of course that is my opinion. Suspect defense and still no legit scoring winger for Sid... I certainly don't doubt that this team could prove me wrong either and exceed my expectations.

Don't get me wrong. I still think we'll make the playoffs and then anything can happen.

Right now I'd like us to stand pat, wait to see who's available at the trade deadline otherwise take a run at Perry during next offseason if the Ducks can't resign him.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:48 PM
RehnX

Quote:
**** a duck.

HIGHLY unlikely. My guess is that no team wanted to give him more than a year, as a "prove it" deal, and no team wanted to give him a ton of money due to the potential lockout(don't players still get their team salaries?), so Semin went with the highest bidder. That doesn't mean we weren't interested.

Kostitsyn is a Penguins-type player, there is no reason we shouldn't be at least INTERESTED.

Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post

are you not entertained!?

Old
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

I think I heard somewhere that Calgary would have taken Pouliot if Shero didn't?

I tried to make a trade in my mind around Cammalleri or Glencross and I even thought of Babchuk, but I'm not sure what would work for both sides. I think they would not trade Baertschi and Tanguay is pure playmaker and I'm looking for a guy who can score. And I'm not interested in Stempniak. They have SO many wingers now that they signed Hudler.

So what could we work out with Calgary? Baertschi for Pouliot isn't going through I think so what could be done?

EDIT: Baertschi and Glencross for Morrow, Cooke and Jeffrey? What the heck, I'll throw Lovejoy there too.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Zbynek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
sources for any of that? Or just speculation?
Speculation, but with good reason, based on Shero's moves so far this offseason. Nothing against the Canes, but seriously, but if Shero had offered 1 year/7M to Semin like Rutherford did, which team do you think he would pick?

I might be jumping the gun here a little bit, but I'm just pissed off with this summer. Still haven't gotten over the Michalek trade. And still clueless as to how we are going to replace Staal and Sullivan's secondary scoring and huge contributions to the powerplay.

Brb, jumping off a bridge

Old
07-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post

Old
07-26-2012, 06:51 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Speculation, but with good reason, based on Shero's moves so far this offseason. Nothing against the Canes, but seriously, but if Shero had offered 1 year/7M to Semin like Rutherford did, which team do you think he would pick?
Just because he didn't offer him 7M doesn't mean he wasn't interested or giving his own offers.
Quote:
I might be jumping the gun here a little bit, but I'm just pissed off with this summer. Still haven't gotten over the Michalek trade. And still clueless as to how we are going to replace Staal and Sullivan's secondary scoring and huge contributions to the powerplay.

Brb, jumping off a bridge
For the regular season, the answer is Sidney Crosby. We will need to add eventually to replace what we had in the playoffs though.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:52 PM
nhindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post

I'd rather do:

Tangradi-Sid-Dupuis
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

I will be PISSED if Sid has Duper and TK/Tangradi on his line at all next season.

If we don't make moves, he gets Kunitz back. Simple as that.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:52 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
**** a duck.

AK46 could come here. I mentioned it on the trade boards that he could be another Kunitz type of player on our team. Bylsma could probably get the most out of him.

Shane Doan, I honestly don't see him signing anywhere else but Phoenix, I don't see them relocating and to me that's the only thing that will make Shane Doan leave that team. But you're right, Shero probably won't offer enough money or term because he doesn't really offer more than 3 years to players over 30. I heard the rumored deal from the Pens is a 2 year, $9M deal.

Question, if we get AK46, does Joe Vitale switch to #26, his number in the minors (and I'm assuming his original number)

Old
07-26-2012, 06:54 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
What the heck, I'll throw Lovejoy there too.
how generous of you. as if Lovejoy could tip the scales in any deal.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:54 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhindian View Post
I will be PISSED if Sid has Duper and TK/Tangradi on his line at all next season.

If we don't make moves, he gets Kunitz back. Simple as that.
Agreed. I really think there is almost no chance Sid's best winger is Dupuis.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
how generous of you. as if Lovejoy could tip the scales in any deal.
I know, I know.

Closed Thread