HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What is WRONG with us?! (Pity party thread for Preds fans only!)

Old
07-23-2012, 01:20 PM
AEM6729

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Sullivan and Dumont are both on record saying that Nashville would be the city they lived in after hockey. Doesn't Stu still live here too, Dan Kezcmer as well?
Turcotte did too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItILoveIt View Post
We need some help from Taylor Swift and Kellie Pickler. Girls, go out there like Carrie did and hook up with the best hockey player you can find. Then reel him in and demand to live in Nashville. Next to L.A., this is our one advantage over other bigger cities.

Who's Philly gonna use, Adrian Balboa?

Hop on it, ladies.
Yup. This. I blame Suter's wife for most of his shenanigans.

I recently discovered that a girl I work with went on a few dates with Weber when he first came here. Obviously it never got serious, and now he's engaged to his Canadian high school girlfriend. Obviously the fact that Weber might leave is my coworker's fault. We need some Nashville girls to lock these fellas down! C'mon ladies!

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:35 PM
sighthndlady

Peks is not the only one to sign to be here. I seem to recall this other goalie who thought he'd signed what at the time was a very long deal to stay in Nashville only to have the rug yanked out from under him. While he was on vacation, no less.

Goalies want to be here. Maybe we should just ice 20 goalies and win 0-0.

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:03 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
Maybe we should just ice 20 goalies and win 0-0.
Worked for Montreal in 93.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 07:40 AM
deanwormer

well, as noted we're known to be a pretty good "family" town. but, we're also developing a hipper, arty reputation, and we have a vibrant and growing university community - all things that are appealing to younger and singles crowd. Unfortunately - when I think of the young men playing hockey - highly educated young ladies and the arts and such generally don't seem to be what comes to mind! :-(

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:30 AM
token grinder

there is nothing wrong with this city. those who do not live here are missing out on one of the more enjoyable areas in the country. Plenty of business opportunity, always something to do, 3 pro teams, a vibrant downtown, quiet living if you want. however a clear message will be coming in the next 36 hours of whether or not there is anything wrong with the hockey market.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:54 AM
Jarnberg

Great place for older veterans wanting to settle down. Not for up and coming players who want to win championships as they don't have faith in management to get things done.

Our franchise plays it safe. Always competitive, never enough to go far. Sometime this franchise will need to start taking risks. Otherwise we'll always be in the same position; fighting to make the playoffs each year hoping to win a round. Never good enough to win it all, never bad enough to get high draft picks.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

I don't think there is anything wrong with our city as much as there is something wrong with management. We are one of the most respected franchises in the NHL, hailed as the little engine that could, yet no one really wants to be part of it. I think a large part of it is management, I think part of it is being a small town girl compared to the glamor of larger cities with a wide variety of "scenery." Nashville has a great night life, but it isn't as highbrow as other cities that NHL players may enjoy more.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:02 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I think the answer to tho thread is found in this thread.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1233243

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I think the answer to tho thread is found in this thread.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1233243
Oh, please.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:33 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

What's wrong with us? Well, the team has about 21 players and may need to spend about another 4-5 million to get over the cap floor. WHA!

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:44 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
What's wrong with us? Well, the team has about 21 players and may need to spend about another 4-5 million to get over the cap floor. WHA!
A UFA Top Four Dman (Carlo - ugh what a **** crop of FA Dmen past Suter/Weber) & a UFA Top 6 Winger (Doan/Semin)

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 06:06 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

I honestly just think it's gonna take a little more time to start reeling in those big fish. Look at the teams always in the hunt any time a big name is available: the Leafs, the Rangers, the Bruins...they're all 3,000 years old. That's how you build a reputation. It comes in time.

Now I'm not saying we're all gonna have to wait til the Preds are as old as original 6 teams, but even with the progress the Preds have made I still think there's alot of people out there who don't understand what a great hockey market Nashville is. When more people begin to see it, player interest will rise. Players wanna be on the big stage. Nashville isn't recognized as a big stage yet, but I believe there is alot of potential in the Nashville market.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 12:44 AM
sighthndlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I honestly just think it's gonna take a little more time to start reeling in those big fish. Look at the teams always in the hunt any time a big name is available: the Leafs, the Rangers, the Bruins...they're all 3,000 years old. That's how you build a reputation. It comes in time.

Now I'm not saying we're all gonna have to wait til the Preds are as old as original 6 teams, but even with the progress the Preds have made I still think there's alot of people out there who don't understand what a great hockey market Nashville is. When more people begin to see it, player interest will rise. Players wanna be on the big stage. Nashville isn't recognized as a big stage yet, but I believe there is alot of potential in the Nashville market.
News flash: we are never gonna be as old as an O-6 team. Lol

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:20 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post

kinda how boston, detroit, toronto, and montreal are reeling in big fish, right?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:59 AM
adsfan

Nashville was able to keep Weber. That should count for a lot in the next 10 years.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 06:08 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

http://network.yardbarker.com/nhl/ar...ssion/11789470
This link says a lot about how this team is run!
I have read many times how your team needs a top end forward. Top end forwards generally like to have possession of the puck, rather than throw it away. Not sure if your coach will allow that, thus probably not a ton of guys wanting to play in that system.

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 07:58 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
http://network.yardbarker.com/nhl/ar...ssion/11789470
This link says a lot about how this team is run!
I have read many times how your team needs a top end forward. Top end forwards generally like to have possession of the puck, rather than throw it away. Not sure if your coach will allow that, thus probably not a ton of guys wanting to play in that system.

its a chicken and egg situation... trotz coaches this system because it fits the talent we have... if he has players capable playing puck possession... he can accomodate that

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
its a chicken and egg situation... trotz coaches this system because it fits the talent we have... if he has players capable playing puck possession... he can accomodate that
Like he did during the Kariya-Sullivan era...

Funny how some people think "dump and chase" is a strategy nowadays. When you are able to gain possession and build speed through the neutral zone you can attack the defense because more often than not they are backing in. However, if you don't have numbers or speed through the neutral zone, the defense will stand up at the blue line stacking their defense up there and closing the gap quickly from behind with backchecking forwards tracking in their lanes until there is no time or space to maintain possession. It's those times when you get the puck deep and get after it.

There is an art to "dumping" the puck in as well. Generally even if you are not moving, there are teammates heading into the zone with speed and you attempt to put it into a position where they can be the first to it or can arrive at the same time as the opposition to create a 50-50 situation. With goalies nowadays being so adept at moving the puck, generally you don't see pucks simply sent in around the boards either. It's either high around the glass, cross-corner, or soft chips to put the pucks into positions away from the goalie and where the puck will be available to retrieve.

If you don't think Trotz can coach a possession strategy just go back and re-watch the video from the home game against the Lightning early last season. Trotz and his staff reviewed tape of Boucher's 1-3-1 defense and had the Preds making a series of 3 quick passes through the neutral zone wing-middle-wing that broke down the Tampa defense and built an early lead that they held onto for the victory. There are plenty of other instances, but that one stands out in particular due to how much we heard about Boucher's genius strategy and how quickly the Preds debunked it last season...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 10:32 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

The beginning of this video shows a decent example of what SLake is saying.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote