HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Summer Moves $e7en: Ding, Dong, the Doan is Signed! Oh Happy Day!

Old
07-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Related to the theories - mine included - of the Sharks (Pavelski, Clowe, Marleau) being a possible partner for the Sabres:

Quote:
It’s not all that surprising when you consider the report here last week that the Sharks and Blue Jackets hadn’t spoken in “months” about the winger, who had San Jose on his list of acceptable destinations. Columbus insisted on Logan Couture, the Sharks said no, and that was that. The Rangers appeared to be the only viable option the Blue Jackets had left.

So what happens now for San Jose?

The most likely answer may be…nothing major. At least for now

Those hoping Doug Wilson would play the role of Ty Pennington and give the roster an extreme makeover are probably a bit disappointed at the moment despite some nice moves by the club this offseason. The Sharks were able to trade for and sign veteran d-man Brad Stuart; brought in a pair of veteran assistant coaches, including the highly respected Larry Robinson; added some personality and grit with forward Adam Burish; and locked up young and improving defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic to a long-term deal at a very reasonable price.

Still, a core group that hasn’t been able to take that necessary extra step to the Stanley Cup Final, remains. And, in fact, the Sharks took a pretty big step backwards in 2011-12 with an inconsistent regular season and first round defeat to the St. Louis Blues, who were then swept in the second round by Los Angeles.

While there are some big name forwards left in the free agent/trade market – Shane Doan, Alex Semin and Bobby Ryan are at the top of the list – don’t expect San Jose to be in the running for any of those players.
Quote:
As for the rest of the trade market, the Sharks don’t have many options there, either. Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau, Brent Burns, Marty Havlat and Michal Handzus all have some form of a no-trade clause, while Dan Boyle’s limited no-trade clause kicked in on July 1. The remaining players that are fair game, at least among the forwards, are the kind of players that the Sharks would probably not have any interest in moving. Joe Pavelski is coming off of a career-high in goals with 31 and has a cap-friendly hit of just $4 million over the next two seasons, while Ryane Clowe, despite a down year last year, is still among the team’s more vocal leaders in the locker room and embodies that "go after them" style that Wilson is talking about more than anyone else.
Quote:
Collective bargaining agreement questions are also likely to quell any more big paychecks from San Jose, which was one of the few teams after the previous lockout with the room to acquire a hefty contract like Thornton’s from Boston. It’s very possible the Sharks will give their current group one more shot at it this season before exploring the UFA or trade market more aggressively in 2013, when other teams may be looking to shed salary to fit under what may be a much lower cap.

In other words, if you’re waiting for that big summer splash – it could be a year away.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/hockey-san...3&feedID=10290

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Sabretip

And related to the Filppula theories, this tidbit from Ansar Khan on the Red Wings:

Quote:
Q. Would the Red Wings be willing to trade (Valtteri) Filppula and maybe a prospect for Ryan. –John.

A. That's a tough one. I don't think so. They view Filppula as a key building block, someone with a lot of upside, and hope to sign him to a long-term extension early in the season. Ryan has scored more than 30 goals in each of the past four years and is three years younger, so there is that lure. But, I think it's a moot point, because Anaheim's not going to deal Ryan for a guy who can bolt as an unrestricted free agent next summer.
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....estions_3.html

Old
07-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
I'm totally for an Ehrhoff contract at 4-4.5M. If he meets expectations its a steal. If he continues at his current pace its a decent contract especially as salaries continue to climb. If he completely falls apart, you can always trade or bury the contract and he'll only be 32-33 at the end of it.
yikes... im all for having balls... but 10 years on a 5'8 160 lb player is... bigger balls then I have

I'd go for something in between the Roy contact...and the Leino contract.

6/24/
4.0 cap

6/27
4.5 cap

Or go short term and make him earn a big contract, rather then paying for the future too soon (since that worked out so well with Vanek/Roy).

I'd rather spend MORE on the right player, then try to save by signing unproven players early.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Give Ennis a classic 2-year second contract and let's see what happens in 2 years.

07-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Give Ennis a classic 2-year second contract and let's see what happens in 2 years.
I don't think Regier wants to add another contract expiring in 2014 when he'll have his hands full deciding on major contracts of Vanek, Pominville, Miller and now Ott.

My guess is that he tries to extend Ennis with a 3 year deal to make his life a little easier.

Old
07-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
I don't think Regier wants to add another contract expiring in 2014 when he'll have his hands full deciding on major contracts of Vanek, Pominville, Miller and now Ott.

My guess is that he tries to extend Ennis with a 3 year deal to make his life a little easier.
That leaves them with different hassle if the CBA remains similar to where it is now -- Ennis could elect arbitration at the end of that 3rd year and take a 1 year deal, hitting UFA at 26. There is probably less hassle dealing with picking who of the four UFA's to extend, likely early, and having to work out a 3rd contract for Ennis than it is to either overpay him now or leave themselves with a possible bind by going too long on the 2nd deal.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:38 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
That leaves them with different hassle if the CBA remains similar to where it is now -- Ennis could elect arbitration at the end of that 3rd year and take a 1 year deal, hitting UFA at 26. There is probably less hassle dealing with picking who of the four UFA's to extend, likely early, and having to work out a 3rd contract for Ennis than it is to either overpay him now or leave themselves with a possible bind by going too long on the 2nd deal.
If Ennis is a key piece by then, he'll get extended the summer before Arb is even an option.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirgsAndGrigs View Post
If Ennis is a key piece by then, he'll get extended the summer before Arb is even an option.
Which is part of why taking the 2-year option now is still the better idea.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:47 PM
McTank

6 year deal would be interesting. Evander kane may sign for 6/29 so ennis should be around 6/25. If that isnt a option the two year deal never fails

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
yikes... im all for having balls... but 10 years on a 5'8 160 lb player is... bigger balls then I have

I'd go for something in between the Roy contact...and the Leino contract.

6/24/
4.0 cap

6/27
4.5 cap

Or go short term and make him earn a big contract, rather then paying for the future too soon (since that worked out so well with Vanek/Roy).

I'd rather spend MORE on the right player, then try to save by signing unproven players early.
Yeah, I have no problem risking Terry's money. If he's truly willing to do whatever it takes to win multiple championships then go all out. Under the current CBA you're only risking money because he can hide the cap hit if necessary. If Ennis is everything we're hoping for his low cap hit will serve us well in building a regularly contending team. If he's no better than he is now then its probably fair value, especially as salaries get bigger. If he flops, like I said he may be moveable because he'd be fairly young still and if not then hide him in the AHL.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Girgenburger

love how people were shooting me down for thinking ennis' contract could mirror roy's. starting to embrace the idea?

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Girgenburger

I wish Darcy would flip the script completely and trade Cody Hodgson, Brayden McNabb, Drew Stafford and a pick for Evander Kane.

Then make a move for a stop gap center until one of Grig or Girg is ready.

Vanek-Ennis-Kane
Foligno-Ott-Pominville
Leino-Arnott-Tropp
Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta

Then when the G's are ready

Vanek-Ennis-Kane
Leino-Grigorenko-Pominville
Foligno-Girgensons-Ott
Gerbe-McCormick-Tropp

Old
07-26-2012, 03:09 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
love how people were shooting me down for thinking ennis' contract could mirror roy's. starting to embrace the idea?
Thinking it will and wanting it to are two separate entities.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:09 PM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
I wish Darcy would flip the script completely and trade Cody Hodgson, Brayden McNabb, Drew Stafford and a pick for Evander Kane.

Then make a move for a stop gap center until one of Grig or Girg is ready.

Vanek-Ennis-Kane
Foligno-Ott-Pominville
Leino-Arnott-Tropp
Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta

Then when the G's are ready

Vanek-Ennis-Kane
Leino-Grigorenko-Pominville
Foligno-Girgensons-Ott
Gerbe-McCormick-Tropp
Ott just takes faceoffs....he isn't a center.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:12 PM
Girgenburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Then they'd find some other way to make it work until the G's were ready.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:19 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
... in Dallas

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:26 PM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
... in Dallas
Last time we grabbed a winger to play center we got Leino....just saying....

Also Regier said he would most likely be playing wing unless lindy decided to make him play center, leading most to believe he was aquired to play wing.....but Im not sure why wed ever listen to Regier

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
So far, I've read only one post recommending a Roy-type term....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Thinking it will and wanting it to are two separate entities.
Exactly - and Regier's already said he doesn't envision a long-term deal for Ennis. Based on that, anything beyond 3 years doesn't seem likely.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:00 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
So far, I've read only one post recommending a Roy-type term....?

Exactly - and Regier's already said he doesn't envision a long-term deal for Ennis. Based on that, anything beyond 3 years doesn't seem likely.
Anything beyond 2 is unlikely. I'd say there's 0% Ennis gets a 3 year deal. They will either sign him so he's still rfa at the end of the deal or eat up ufa years. Doesn't make any sense to sign him up to the point where he becomes unrestricted

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 04:09 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Anything beyond 2 is unlikely. I'd say there's 0% Ennis gets a 3 year deal. They will either sign him so he's still rfa at the end of the deal or eat up ufa years. Doesn't make any sense to sign him up to the point where he becomes unrestricted
Can't he still sign for 3 years and get RFA? He'd be 25.

I think its likely to be 2 or 3, but as I said, I wouldn't mind a Myers contract but at a lower cap hit say 4-4.5.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
I think its likely to be 2 or 3, but as I said, I wouldn't mind a Myers contract but at a lower cap hit say 4-4.5.
Ennis has 13 games as a center and one 20-goal season as a winger to show for himself - far too small a sampling of how effective he'll be moving forward to warrant the long term Myers got. Considering how the league has become more about size, strength and defense in recent years, smallish players like Ennis will have an even harder time making impacts; making a long-term commitment (i.e. anything over 4 years) to them is a gamble IMO.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:31 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Let me preface by saying that I know Hanzal isn't going to be traded.*

Firstly, you'd be trading for Hanzal to compliment Ennis and Hodgson. Trading one for him is counter-productive. Nextly, a package of Adam and Hodgson would net a greater return than Martin freaking Hanzal, a third line center. No amount of intangibles is going to aide Hanzal in returning two very promising young players. Players like Hodgson don't get traded for players like Hanzal.

Your anti-Hodgson agenda has grown tired.

No, your fanboyishness/puchbunniness cloys every thread.

Hanzal is so superior without the puck that you HAVE to add a player with Hodgson to even be taken seriously. It's like going from one of the worst defensive centers to one of the best. Offensively they are pretty close but Hodgson gets the edge there. Also, Hanzal has an extremely cap friendly contract that only adds to his value.

Finally, you got Ennis/Hanzal/Girgmeister/vet FA

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 06:34 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Ennis has 13 games as a center and one 20-goal season as a winger to show for himself - far too small a sampling of how effective he'll be moving forward to warrant the long term Myers got. Considering how the league has become more about size, strength and defense in recent years, smallish players like Ennis will have an even harder time making impacts; making a long-term commitment (i.e. anything over 4 years) to them is a gamble IMO.
Yeah, I explained my reasons for wanting it above though. For years most HFBoard posters screamed for Regier to take more risks. Now nobody wants to try and get a promising young player under contract for what could be a steal in a few years or add the kind of player we need in Doan because it would take a risky contract to get him.

I'm perfectly fine signing Ennis to a 2-3 year deal and keeping him under RFA status for another contract. But, if he excels to the level we all think he can, we'll have to pay through the nose to keep him. And what if he makes it to the offseason without a new extension? We're opening ourselves up to the potential of offer sheets.

Sure there is risk in signing him to a long contract. But what are we risking? We're risking only money unless the CBA rules change. Terry wants to make use of his money to make us a regular contender. You risk the length of the contract to get a potentially dynamic player on a low cap hit through his prime years. And what will happen if he doesn't reach expectations? He'd be on a low enough cap hit that he would probably still be useful or could certainly be traded. And if he's completely untradeable he gets buried in Rochester and again we're only losing Terry's money.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:53 PM
ceky

hmmm 2 things

would SJ consider Marleau for Stafford + Leopold?

would we get Fehr for a reasonable contract, i liked his playing style with the caps & he is a 27 year old unrestricted FA.....

FORWARDS
Ville Leino ($4.500m) / Patrick Marleau ($6.900m) / Jason Pominville ($5.300m)
Steve Ott ($2.950m) / Cody Hodgson ($1.667m) / Thomas Vanek ($7.143m)
Marcus Foligno ($0.900m) / Tyler Ennis ($3.700m) / Eric Fehr ($3.800m)
Nathan Gerbe ($1.450m) / Zemgus Girgensons ($1.625m) / Patrick Kaleta ($1.403m)
John Scott ($0.600m) / Cody McCormick ($1.200m) / Corey Tropp ($0.700m)

DEFENSEMEN
Tyler Myers ($5.500m) / Andrej Sekera ($2.750m)
Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m) / Alexander Sulzer ($0.725m)
Robyn Regehr ($4.020m) / Mike Weber ($0.950m)
T.J. Brennan ($0.550m) / Brayden McNabb ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS
Ryan Miller ($6.250m)
Jhonas Enroth ($0.675m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,157,273; BONUSES: $1,945,000
CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $42,727

ceky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Sabresfansince1980

San Jose might consider it, but Marleau with his no movement clause will not.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote