HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Anton Stralman signs 2 yr deal with NYR ($1.7 Mil AAV)

Old
07-26-2012, 05:27 PM
M Ace

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post
that was him a few years ago, yes

have you seen him with NYR last season? He was a completely different player defensively. He is no Girardi, but he played a lot better in his own end and was even rather physical.
Saw him in the playoffs. And sure not the same guy, but not that good either. Hope he won't be to expensive. Not worth over 1,5million...

M Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 05:34 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Ace View Post
Saw him in the playoffs. And sure not the same guy, but not that good either. Hope he won't be to expensive. Not worth over 1,5million...
He's a good deal at anything under 2M per season. Torts remade the guy last year. You should watch him play before you speak.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Machinehead
Because Rongos

vCash: 50
Quote:
I beg your pardon. I forgot to knock!
Don't knock at all. Get off my lawn!

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 05:41 PM
RyanCallahan24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Don't knock at all. Get off my lawn!

RyanCallahan24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 05:44 PM
JoeLH

So, is it 1,4 + 2,0 or 1,7 + 1,7 sth between?

JoeLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 05:54 PM
NJRangers35

Quote:
Overrated!

To much giveaways and too softy. Don't like him at all. But sure 6th or 7th spot and play 4-5 min/game only in the offensive zone. He may limit the misstakes!

...and I am from Sweden
Probably one of the worst scouting reports I have read on these boards. This guy was a great in the playoffs. I was actually worried about how they were going to replace him when he was rumored to be going back to Sweden. No way you can possibly have watched him last year and walked away saying overrated. I watched every game and walked away saying what a steal.

NJRangers35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 06:08 PM
JoeLH

It's 1,6 in year one and 1,8 in year two (per Kevin Allen). Great deal for the Rangers.

Old
07-26-2012, 07:15 PM
M Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
He's a good deal at anything under 2M per season. Torts remade the guy last year. You should watch him play before you speak.
Like I said, saw him in about 10 games of the playoffs.

No matter what you say. I don't like him. never have. Never will!

But that is just my opinion.

M Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 07:32 PM
JoeLH

His biggest flaw is a bad decision making from time to time. But that improved during the last season. He never will be a defensive warrior, but his offense was really good in the playoffs and he might be a really good number 4 dman for the Rangers in the future.

Old
07-26-2012, 08:12 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Quote:
Like I said, saw him in about 10 games of the playoffs.

No matter what you say. I don't like him. never have. Never will!

But that is just my opinion.
That's just you being too stubborn to see a solid player for what he's worth, then.

Mint Berry Crunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 08:13 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

I don't follow the NYR at all but on a talented blueline, Stralman played #5-6 minutes and played the 2nd PP. Considering that he is only 25, doesn't he have any potential to develop into a 2nd pairing defenseman?

Circulartheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 674
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
I don't follow the NYR at all but on a talented blueline, Stralman played #5-6 minutes and played the 2nd PP. Considering that he is only 25, doesn't he have any potential to develop into a 2nd pairing defenseman?
I would say he can be a good #4 , yes.

Last season when we had injuries he did play in our top 4 from time to time.

When he combines his offensive with his improved defense, he is a very solid two-way defenseman. He is a lot stronger than he looks actually and can make some painful hits!
Offensively he is just very smart...he holds on to the puck very well and can make a move to buy him more time. His shot is also underrated...its hard and he gets it on net quickly.

He did have 34 points with Columbus when he was playing 20 minutes per game there. I feel that he can reach those totals again if given that kind of ice time or a little less than that.

As you said, the Rangers are stacked at D right now so he will probably be their #5. But great thing about him is if injuries hit, he can easily slot into the top 4 and you dont miss a beat!

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 08:34 PM
Vitto79

Quote:

When he combines his offensive with his improved defense, he is a very solid two-way defenseman. He is a lot stronger than he looks actually and can make some painful hits!
Offensively he is just very smart...he holds on to the puck very well and can make a move to buy him more time. His shot is also underrated...its hard and he gets it on net quickly.

He did have 34 points with Columbus when he was playing 20 minutes per game there. I feel that he can reach those totals again if given that kind of ice time or a little less than that.

As you said, the Rangers are stacked at D right now so he will probably be their #5. But great thing about him is if injuries hit, he can easily slot into the top 4 and you dont miss a beat!
with a healthy Sauer it would make Stralman the 6th D actually. Paired with Del Zotto. Should give them some offense

That might be the 1st PP pair as well. Richards did play at the point but they really only have 2 Cs that can score so they both need to C PP units...........in the past they had Dubinsky and Anisimov who could take the faceoff. The wings are more stacked now with Nash, Gaborik, Kreider, Callahan and even Hagelin

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 08:37 PM
Richter35

1.7 is honestly a great deal, he's a great #5

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 08:59 PM
McDonagh27

Quote:

Couldn't of said it any better! Nice to see a non Rangers fan's opinion of Stralzy. Great contract too

McDonagh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 674
I'm a Rangers fan actually. LA is my second favorite team... Just happen to love Kopitar

Contract is very nice. Wish it was 3 years but still sweet.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:24 PM
aemoreira1981

Great value deal. Now the Ranger need to find a 6th defenseman who can actually play (if Mike Sauer isn't ready for camp). Bickel would be okay as a Davis Drewiske-type insurance policy, but only as that.

Brilliant move by the Rangers to sign him---and then give him a chance (he was about to sign with HV71 before the Rangers called).

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:35 PM
JoeLH

The Rangers played in fact with 5 defenseman in the playoffs with Bickel getting nearly no icetime. Most of the time Stralman played with Staal on his left side and looked pretty good. When Sauer returns, i'm not sold that Tortorella would put Stralman with the also offensive Del Zotto together. So he might stay with Staal, which would be only better for his outlook and production.

Old
07-26-2012, 10:40 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

I am glad he is working out with the rangers, really crushed my hopes when he was drafted and was with us. Couldn't perform to the way we wanted him to. Nice signing.

07-27-2012, 01:31 AM
Holocene

He will be great paired with a healthy Staal for a year.

Holocene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:33 AM
Machinehead
Because Rongos

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
I would definitely have him in my top 4 on an average team. But of course the Rangers defense is knee deep.

Torts and Co. have reinvented his game. He's a 2 way player now.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:33 AM
Yes We Cam
Good 1-2 punch

Great value for this kid. Getting paid 3rd pairing salary like he should be behind such a stacked team. He's a keeper though for sure.

Yes We Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:21 AM
Dutch Dreams

Perfect player to put out there in offensive situations after their two big-minute pairings have been out.

Dutch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 04:00 AM
Black Tank

This is not an exact quote, but there's a very brief but interesting moment from the HBO series where Tortorella tells Stralman he can either commit fully, especially in dishing out and taking physical punishment or he's through as a player. Some guys need to have that message driven home and Tortorella seems to have done that with Stralman.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:19 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
This is not an exact quote, but there's a very brief but interesting moment from the HBO series where Tortorella tells Stralman he can either commit fully, especially in dishing out and taking physical punishment or he's through as a player. Some guys need to have that message driven home and Tortorella seems to have done that with Stralman.
It was actually more something along the lines of "we're not going to be here to push you every minute - you need to learn to push yourself".

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote