HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Sauer out with concussion (1/18: Still "month-to-month")

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Skrimpy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
If he's 100%, I don't see how he's not playing ahead of Stralman.
If he is 100% HE WILL be ahead of stralman. If you remember during the playoffs, Torts was playing him for something like 2-3 minutes in the first and then not giving him any shifts in the 2nd and 3rd. Every game.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:29 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Kreiderman View Post
Okay, don't shoot me for bringing this up but is Gilroy an option as 7th D-man? He is better than Bickel...
Reported.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:46 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Yes, he clearly felt (as did most of us I think) that the team was a little bit ahead of itself last year making it to the final 4. So I would say now, a year later, and a little bit better, we are a legit final 4 team with a good chance to go the distance. I agree that we aren't deep down the middle. Add a 3rd line center and Sauer and we have as good a chance as anyone.

As for parting with some of the youth, he definitely likes Dubi and Artie...but admitted that they aren't at the level of Nash.
My only beef with the trade is the loss of Erixon. I think the potential is there for Nash to bring home the scoring title and to help other players just by his presence. If he's paired with Richards the ice opens up the ice for players like Cally, Haglin, Stepan, not to mention Gabby when he returns...and if it's Gabby/Richards/Nash on the top line and there is chemistry? Look out! Although I loved watching them play and wish they were still in blue, 61 will do just as much or more damage than Arty and Duby combined. The guy got 35 goals last season for Pete's sake and he was a 1 man show! What happens when he's got the hardest working and one of the best teams last year? Come on. You can't tell me they won't be contending. Of course the X-factor will be chemistry. If this messes the chemistry up (i.e.; 61 doesn't buy into the system) we can forget watching the playoffs at all but I don't think it will. I am more excited about the upcoming season than I was for the ECF last year!

Old
07-26-2012, 07:16 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy View Post
If he is 100% HE WILL be ahead of stralman. If you remember during the playoffs, Torts was playing him for something like 2-3 minutes in the first and then not giving him any shifts in the 2nd and 3rd. Every game.
He would be ahead of Stralman, but I wonder what POs you watched???

Old
07-26-2012, 07:19 PM
TheDoctorLies

Quote:
Are you talking about playing Sauer ahead of Stralman or Bickel? Stralman averaged 16:55/game during the playoffs. Bickel averaged 5:09/game.

Old
07-26-2012, 07:24 PM
mrhockey193195

Considering the uncertainty regarding Sauer's health (though the positive update was definitely promising news), and the fact that we just drafted Skjei (LD), does anyone think that Torts should permanently move either Staal or MDZ to the RD position?

I know MDZ played some RD last season and seemed (to me at least) to really struggle. I feel like Staal might make the transition easier.

Old
07-26-2012, 08:19 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
Considering the uncertainty regarding Sauer's health (though the positive update was definitely promising news), and the fact that we just drafted Skjei (LD), does anyone think that Torts should permanently move either Staal or MDZ to the RD position?

I know MDZ played some RD last season and seemed (to me at least) to really struggle. I feel like Staal might make the transition easier.
its very possible and imo a healthy marc staal with a full training camp would seamlessly move to the rightside. there was just too much going on coming back from the concussion to do it last year.

but i don't think they do it unless they are concerned that sauer won't be back anytime soon. if you expect sauer back then it makes no sense to do.

but that has nothing to do with skjei who is a few years away...

Old
07-26-2012, 08:23 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
like the forward lines, i hate when people get caught up in the labels and order combos are listed on a whiteboard...

is staal better than del zotto? absolutely. is a healthy sauer better than stralman? without question...but does that mean that the best pairings are staal-sauer, 2 stay at home dmen, and mdz-stralman, 2 offensive dmen cause thats how they rank 1-6? not really

Old
07-26-2012, 08:25 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctorLies View Post
Are you talking about playing Sauer ahead of Stralman or Bickel? Stralman averaged 16:55/game during the playoffs. Bickel averaged 5:09/game.
Could be I'm thinking Bickel but I swear it was during the Wash and NJ series there were several games where Stralman saw almost no ice time after the first period. In fact I remember Doc Emerick mentioning it several times about Torts lack of confidence in him. I don't think Bickel even dressed for those games, did he? Am I having a senior moment? I apologize. Whatever. Either way, the d-lines I posted with Erixon instead of Stralman and/or Bickel would be bad ass given Erixon reached his potential in the upcoming season. Plus I distinctly remember several times during the season it was always a question mark. Who is going to fill the d holes tonight? Stralman? Bickel? Eminger? It was always someone different and they weren't relied on as heavily as the other 5.

Old
07-26-2012, 08:33 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
like the forward lines, i hate when people get caught up in the labels and order combos are listed on a whiteboard...

is staal better than del zotto? absolutely. is a healthy sauer better than stralman? without question...but does that mean that the best pairings are staal-sauer, 2 stay at home dmen, and mdz-stralman, 2 offensive dmen cause thats how they rank 1-6? not really
You missed my point. It was that I felt they played better in those pairings but had not yet reached their peak play that year (two years ago). Not that any one guy was better than another or ranking them in any kind of 1-6. I think any one of the top 4 d-men are capable of being in the top line on any team in the league (given Sauer is healthy)...and I thought that had MDZ and Erixon had reached what people seem to say their potential is, they are fully capable being on the top line too making it pretty much a team full of first line D. Now, as far as pairing a puck moving D-man with a shut down guy, I wasn't thinking that far. I was just thinking about shut down play, the numbers that have been posted by these four guys and the potential of MDZ and Erixon all in one place.

Old
07-26-2012, 09:01 PM
TheDoctorLies

Quote:
Could be I'm thinking Bickel but I swear it was during the Wash and NJ series there were several games where Stralman saw almost no ice time after the first period. In fact I remember Doc Emerick mentioning it several times about Torts lack of confidence in him. I don't think Bickel even dressed for those games, did he? Am I having a senior moment? I apologize. Whatever. Either way, the d-lines I posted with Erixon instead of Stralman and/or Bickel would be bad ass given Erixon reached his potential in the upcoming season. Plus I distinctly remember several times during the season it was always a question mark. Who is going to fill the d holes tonight? Stralman? Bickel? Eminger? It was always someone different and they weren't relied on as heavily as the other 5.
No, you're definitely mixing up Stralman with Bickel, and possibly Eminger. Stralman played in every playoff game and didn't play less than 16 minutes in all but three games during the Ottawa series.

Old
07-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctorLies View Post
No, you're definitely mixing up Stralman with Bickel, and possibly Eminger. Stralman played in every playoff game and didn't play less than 16 minutes in all but three games during the Ottawa series.
damn. I'm getting old and stupid. I'd still have liked to see Girardi/Staal, McD/Sauer, MDZ/Erixon.

Old
07-26-2012, 09:22 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
damn. I'm getting old and stupid. I'd still have liked to see Girardi/Staal, McD/Sauer, MDZ/Erixon.
Erixon is in columbus lol

Old
07-27-2012, 12:10 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
I am going to say this and you guys can jump all over me but if Mike Sauer is healthy and playing in the playoffs the Rangers win the cup.. He would have played 18-22 mins a game and provided a right handed shot other then Bickel he is great in his own end and legit mean in front of hank

Old
07-27-2012, 12:24 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
I am going to say this and you guys can jump all over me but if Mike Sauer is healthy and playing in the playoffs the Rangers win the cup.. He would have played 18-22 mins a game and provided a right handed shot other then Bickel he is great in his own end and legit mean in front of hank
I actually agree, although I do believe the lack of legitimate options beyond the top-3 forward lines is what ultimately killed us, coupled with some injuries to Dubinsky/Callahan/Gaborik.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
07-27-2012, 12:30 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
I don't think we would've beat the Kings though. They dominated the Devils and were well rested.

Old
07-27-2012, 01:28 AM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

Quote:
i agree. mcdonagh and girardi were probably gassed by the end of the season so sauer would have made a big difference.

Old
07-27-2012, 01:35 AM
egelband

Quote:
i think it was a matter of scoring, really. the defense was good. sauer would have been a great boost, but he wasn't going to get them more goals. they were only giving up a couple goals a game to the devils.

Old
07-27-2012, 02:52 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I don't think we would've beat the Kings though. They dominated the Devils and were well rested.
It wouldve been tough. I think the rangers maybe end up with a little more rest though if sauer plays. Bickel cost us a goal at home, i believe in the washington series if i remember correctly. Couple that with the fact that we basically played with 5 defensemen most of the playoffs. I think he makes a huge difference in a lot of areas. You can slide more guys around in the ES and PK rotations.

And to whomever suggested gilroy, not a chance. We have a good 7th defenseman in Bickel. OTT benched him for the majority of the series.

Last edited by RGY: 07-27-2012 at 05:41 AM.
Old
07-27-2012, 05:23 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
I believe that MDZ is every bit the 2nd pairing defenceman that Sauer is and because he brings more offence to the game should be ahead of Sauer on the teams depth chart.

Stralman playing with MDZ has disaster written all over it and I would prefer to have a defensive defenceman with an offensive minded guy on all three pairs.

McD - Girardi
MDZ - Staal
Stralman - Sauer

This would allow Torts to evenly run each pairing mostly even.

Sauer would get some additional minutes playing the PK

I think spreading out the defensive depth makes the Rangers a better team as there is less likely of a weak link pairing.

Old
07-27-2012, 05:41 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I believe that MDZ is every bit the 2nd pairing defenceman that Sauer is and because he brings more offence to the game should be ahead of Sauer on the teams depth chart.

Stralman playing with MDZ has disaster written all over it and I would prefer to have a defensive defenceman with an offensive minded guy on all three pairs.

McD - Girardi
MDZ - Staal
Stralman - Sauer

I think spreading out the defensive depth makes the Rangers a better team as there is less likely of a weak link pairing.
If Torts has 3 lett shooting Ds and 3 right shooting Ds, he will go with three proper pairings. McD-Girardi, Staal-Stralman (?), MDZ-Sauer. I don't either think he wants MDZ with Stralman, but you never know. Those two did have some decent games together last season. Then he will sit any D that he doesn't like late in games and go much harder with 4-5 guys.

Old
07-27-2012, 05:45 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

McD - Girardi
MDZ - Staal
Stralman - Sauer

Agreed on the stralman-mdz pairing. That would be very problematic. I don't know if you remember but there was the game in pittsburgh and the two were on the ice. I forget which one was carrying the puck into the penguins zone (i think stralman), but the other one of the two was on the far side rushing towards the net. Yep, both defensemen were on the attack, no one back on defense, with arguably the best player in the world in Evgeny Malkin sitting alone for a breakaway which he scored on. I think Torts had benched stralman after that. Sullivan ripped the two apart.

Old
07-27-2012, 05:48 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
If Torts has 3 lett shooting Ds and 3 right shooting Ds, he will go with three proper pairings. McD-Girardi, Staal-Stralman (?), MDZ-Sauer. I don't either think he wants MDZ with Stralman, but you never know. Those two did have some decent games together last season. Then he will sit any D that he doesn't like late in games and go much harder with 4-5 guys.
Agreed. Where we will likely see a Staal/Sauer matchup is on the PK, while MDZ will get additional icetime on the PP. A healthy Sauer locks down this deep as the deepest and one of the strongest defensive corps in the league. I think Dagoon is correct that a healthy Sauer would have made a huge difference in last year's playoff run.

Old
07-27-2012, 06:25 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Our transition game whenever MDZ and Stralman were on the ice together was tremendous.

Old
07-27-2012, 06:30 AM
Levitate

Quote:
While I hesitate to make definitive statements like that, I agree the Rangers would have been much better in the playoffs with Sauer healthy.

Closed Thread