HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs sign D Dylan Yeo (AHL Signing for sure)

Old
07-24-2012, 11:50 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
The real question is why do you consider Gards and Frattin AHLers when both spent the majority of the season with the Leafs ?
Question 1. Are they prospects?

Question 2. Did they play an integral part in the Marlies playoff run this season?

Question 3. No comment on the other players mentioned?

Anyway, back to our topic at hand, mr Yeo. Good signing for the Marlies.

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 11:52 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
I didn't say Frattin and Gards weren't part of there success ( although Gards had a avg playoff at best ) . I said i didn't consider players who spent the majority of the season with the Leafs ( Gards only played 4 regular season games in the A ) marlies .
Well then to answer your question, Marlies or not, Gardiner and Frattin had big years on the farm last year.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:54 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
I didn't say Frattin and Gards weren't part of there success ( although Gards had a avg playoff at best ) . I said i didn't consider players who spent the majority of the season with the Leafs ( Gards only played 4 regular season games in the A ) marlies .
Did you skip the line where I said the Marlies relied on more prospects then most of the teams they played in the playoffs?

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 11:58 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 3501
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
Question 1. Are they prospects?

Question 2. Did they play an integral part in the Marlies playoff run this season?

Question 3. No comment on the other players mentioned?

Anyway, back to our topic at hand, mr Yeo. Good signing for the Marlies.
1/2 . Shifting the argument i see . I said i didn't consider them Malies , i didn't say i didn't consider them prospects or that they didn't play a part in the playoff run .

Kads - i still have faith in the kid
D'Amigo - i could see him being a solid 3rd liner one day
Scrivens - at best a b/u goalie
Holzer - i don't see him making the team

If these are our prized prospects in the minors then we're ****ed .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:09 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
1/2 . Shifting the argument i see . I said i didn't consider them Malies , i didn't say i didn't consider them prospects or that they didn't play a part in the playoff run .

Not shifting anything. You asked which of our prospects had big years on the farm, then proceeded to attempt to exclude two of our better prospects ( there is really no reason to specifically mention them otherwise).

Regardless, your question has been answered. Do you have anything on topic to post in this thread yet?

Old
07-25-2012, 12:22 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
And D'amigo, Frattin, Kadri, Scrivens. Oddly enough, you don't mention Dupuis, who led the team in scoring in the plauoffs
Oh yes, I had forgotten how well Scrivens played, not just in the playoffs, but in the regular season. Too bad he got traded tonight.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 08:52 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Not shifting anything. You asked which of our prospects had big years on the farm, then proceeded to attempt to exclude two of our better prospects ( there is really no reason to specifically mention them otherwise).

Regardless, your question has been answered. Do you have anything on topic to post in this thread yet?
I wouldn't waste your time a whole lot. Anyone who thinks that roster wasn't powered by our young, still developing talent is out to lunch. Without getting into goaltending, of our top 10 scorers, based on production they ranked as follows:

Matt Frattin
Nazem Kadri
Philippe Dupuis
Jerry D'Amigo
Nicolas Deschamps
Jake Gardiner
Marcel Mueller
Joe Colborne
Mike Zigomanis
Greg Scott

Unlike most AHL teams who are veteran heavy, both in roster and contributions, this team most certainly was not.

Some people won't accept that though. It doesn't fit well with other agendas.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 08:58 AM
Drew75

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
Oh yes, I had forgotten how well Scrivens played, not just in the playoffs, but in the regular season. Too bad he got traded tonight.
Sorry .... WHAT????

Drew75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 08:59 AM
AlienWorkShop
No Ben! No!

NHL success aside, creating a positive player development culture with the Marlies is certainly part of Burke/Nonis' job, so I don't see the issue with (faintly) applauding signings like these or expressing joy regarding the Marlies recent success. It's all part of building a top notch organization from top to bottom.

Suggesting a large amount of fans are truly clinging to Marlies playoff success as the sole justification for appraising Burke's tenure as a success is just as crazy as actually considering Marlies success equates to Burke's success on its own.

If you really want to micro-analyze this signing, you can suggest it's an obvious move to shore up AHL defensive depth in the face of graduating/leaving defensemen (Holzer, Mikus, Finger) OR you can criticize Leafs management for the apparent gap in our defensemen prospects given Blacker's the only true prospect destined for the Marlies next year, requiring the signings of the Yeo and Kostka (although veteran defensemen are pretty much a must in the AHL regardless). Have at it!

Yeo may have solidified himself as an AHL defenseman last year, but he's spent more time in the ECHL over his career, so the implications for the Marlies D are ambiguous.

Projected Marlies D:
Kostka - Fraser
Blacker - Yeo
Engel - Gysbers

Seems to be room for another signing or two. Perhaps Drew Paris or Andrew Martens will be earmarked to fill the no. 7 D/ECHL call-up role.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Shadow
Considering the Marlies will be losing Gardiner, Holzer, Mikus, Finger, and Lashoff, it makes leaves spots open for guys like Kostka and Yeo.
Lashoff refuted the report he had signed in Germany, so he's still in play as far as I know. Signing Kostka and Yeo may indicate he's looking elsewhere though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws

I see you're just responding to the prospects he mentioned, but you can't ignore Colborne, Ashton, Blacker or Owuya when talking about Marlies prospects, plus the incoming crop of Ross, McKegg, Carrick, etc. I'm not particularly fond of all those prospects, but just saying. It's a pretty wide pool of prospects and the hope is that a winning culture with the Marlies will best develop them. Not too many AHL teams have a large crop of blue chip talent. It's more a matter of developing the next tier of talent.

AlienWorkShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:31 AM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander View Post
Nhl top 6 forwards are available:

Doan and semin
What does this have to do with Yeo? You want Doan and Semin on the Marlies?

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienWorkShop View Post
NHL success aside, creating a positive player development culture with the Marlies is certainly part of Burke/Nonis' job, so I don't see the issue with (faintly) applauding signings like these or expressing joy regarding the Marlies recent success. It's all part of building a top notch organization from top to bottom.
i'd generally agree that the quality veteran minor leaguers are good to have around.

i'd just point out that this type of signing (aucoin, kostka) was largely criticized when past gms did it. people complained that these guys took precious ice time away from the prospects. opinions have changed now that its burke signing these guys.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 06:25 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 50
Quote:
Who are these staff members that are so impressive and shuffling players on and off the team without on ice success isn't something that should be praised .
The Leafs haven't had on ice success therefore 2+2=7

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 07:10 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Huh? Scrivens got traded? Since when?

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 07:29 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
How many of our prospects had big years down on the farm last year ? Also i don't consider Gards and Frattin Marlies .
The Goalie?

Scrivens was a HUGE factor in the Calder run. Considering the goalie position is such a question mark on the Leafs, this is very encouraging

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 07:31 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Trying to start a rumor?

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 08:41 PM
MJ65

It's really insignificant - why are we even discussing this?

MJ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:47 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
When you said Marlies you meant prospects, did you not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete
Are you implying last years success wasn't about prospects?

Originally Posted by hotpaws
How many of our prospects had big years down on the farm last year ? Also i don't consider Gards and Frattin Marlies .

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Eb
TML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew75 View Post
Sorry .... WHAT????
cup67's thread lol.

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 08:53 AM
AlienWorkShop
No Ben! No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
i'd generally agree that the quality veteran minor leaguers are good to have around.

i'd just point out that this type of signing (aucoin, kostka) was largely criticized when past gms did it. people complained that these guys took precious ice time away from the prospects. opinions have changed now that its burke signing these guys.
The arguments comes up every once and awhile, but I think it's becoming more generally accepted that an AHL team should try to be a winning team and that winning and prospect development go hand-in-hand.

But if you just want to get a shot in at Burke/Burke-supporters, go ahead.

AlienWorkShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Busher Jackson
4x 1st Team Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post

Your correct, but I'll criticize it. I'd rather have Lashoff back. Rather also have Mikus back. But I like large d-man rather than the smallish Yeo. Burke likes his AHL minatures.

Busher Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 06:36 PM
Kulemon

Burke is building an AHL contender. It's about time he helped the LEAFS get better. Terrible summer.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 07:26 PM
ALine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Burke is building an AHL contender. It's about time he helped the LEAFS get better. Terrible summer.

Don't you understand Burke IS building an AHL team as well. Burke, Nonis and co. are responsible not only for the an NHL team, but icing a competitive AHL team. I think only one other team has shared ownership of both the NHL team and AHL affiliate in the league. This is why you see a lot of these types of signings here, and not in say, Vancouver, because the Chi. Wolves have their own seperate owners and management team. There is still ~2/3 of the summer left, patience is key here...

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote