HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

OT: So I was watching Dark Knight Rises... (SPOILER ALERT - Open at Your Own Risk)

Old
07-24-2012, 09:56 PM
Rangediddy

vCash: 567
OT: So I was watching Dark Knight Rises... (SPOILER ALERT - Open at Your Own Risk)

...and while the little kid started singing the American national anthem, I was honestly so close to yelling "SEE!!!!!" at the "O say can you see..." part.

Anyone else come close to embarrassing themselves out of habit?

And while on the off-topic, what's everyone's thoughts on the flick?

Last edited by Noori: 07-25-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Rangediddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 10:01 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Awesome movie the Dark Knight is my favorite movie and this one really didn't disappoint overall. But I was alittle disappointed with them using the same twist as the first movie I thought it was all very well done.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:18 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
I thought it was better than The Dark Knight. More emotional impact, character driven, plot driven, and less dependent on Batman's suit. Definitely the best Batman film ever in my opinion.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:49 AM
Volica

vCash: 500
I liked it, the only thing that would have made it better is if a certain trio of teens weren't playing into a stereotype behind me.

Was great.

Volica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:28 AM
Noori

Edited the thread title so feel free to openly discuss.

I loved it. It wasn't quite as good as TDK but it's still an excellent send off.

Bane was excellent. He was intelligent, and downright brutal. My problem with Bane is that the second Miranda Tate is revealed to be Thalia Al-Ghul, Bane quickly becomes second fiddle. And the manner in which he gets blown up by Selina Kyle doesn't do his character justice.

I saw Miranda Tate as Thalia Al-Ghul the second her character was mentioned. I didn't, however, expect her to stab Batman, considering she is a major love interest int he comics. I saw Blake to be Robin as well. The thing I loved about Blake was that he was Robin without knowing he was Robin. Well done by Nolan with his character.

Selina Kyle was excellent as well. Anne Hathaway in that suit... um... yeah. Never mind the acting, just seeing her in that suit .

The ending was cheeky. I was pretty well convinced that Bruce Wayne was dead (considering Nolan had talked about giving the plot a definitive resolution). The only thing I don't quite understand is how upset Alfred is at Bruce's funeral, and then he doesn't even bat an eye when he sees Bruce in the cafe in Italy (the only way I can justify this is that Fox tells Pennyworth that Bruce fixed the autopilot and probably ejected and is alive somewhere).

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:00 AM
DBU
Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
Edited the thread title so feel free to openly discuss.

I loved it. It wasn't quite as good as TDK but it's still an excellent send off.

Bane was excellent. He was intelligent, and downright brutal. My problem with Bane is that the second Miranda Tate is revealed to be Thalia Al-Ghul, Bane quickly becomes second fiddle. And the manner in which he gets blown up by Selina Kyle doesn't do his character justice.

I saw Miranda Tate as Thalia Al-Ghul the second her character was mentioned. I didn't, however, expect her to stab Batman, considering she is a major love interest int he comics. I saw Blake to be Robin as well. The thing I loved about Blake was that he was Robin without knowing he was Robin. Well done by Nolan with his character.

Selina Kyle was excellent as well. Anne Hathaway in that suit... um... yeah. Never mind the acting, just seeing her in that suit .

The ending was cheeky. I was pretty well convinced that Bruce Wayne was dead (considering Nolan had talked about giving the plot a definitive resolution). The only thing I don't quite understand is how upset Alfred is at Bruce's funeral, and then he doesn't even bat an eye when he sees Bruce in the cafe in Italy (the only way I can justify this is that Fox tells Pennyworth that Bruce fixed the autopilot and probably ejected and is alive somewhere).
I agree with a lot of this. IMO, TDK was better and can easily operate as a standalone movie. TDKR was great, but you definitely need to have watched Batman Begins, and maybe even TDK, to get the full effect of what's going on.

Not to say I called it, but I remember being one of the few among people I talked to about Anne Hathaway being a great choice for the role of Catwoman, and I was right on the money with that. I really like her as an actress, and she did a great job. Dat cat

I also don't need to mention Tom Hardy, because his performance was top notch.

As for the story, yeah, there were some plot holes, but overall I won't let it tarnish my memory of the movie. Seeing it at midnight was amazing.

PS obligatory man-crush respect mention for Joseph Gordon-Levitt (no homo)

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:41 AM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Yeah, I feel like Nolan wanted to tie all the movies together in TDKR hence why you'd have to watch the previous ones to fully understand.

Also, Tom Hardy was amazing.

King In The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:18 PM
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42

I just can't wait for the next one! Great movie!

Any guesses on the next villain? I'm going with the Riddler. They could make a pretty sick/twisted terrorist out of that mould.

OP: Yes, it came to my mind too.

Money Baer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:27 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

WARNING: Spoilers below in this post

I believe this is the last one. Nolan intended to conclude the trilogy and Bale before has stated he wouldn't do a film with Robin in it, and given how the movie ends, well, it seems like a great ending and I think it'll be left at that.

Old
07-25-2012, 06:22 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
WARNING: Spoilers below in this post

I believe this is the last one. Nolan intended to conclude the trilogy and Bale before has stated he wouldn't do a film with Robin in it, and given how the movie ends, well, it seems like a great ending and I think it'll be left at that.
Correct Nolan does not plan on doing another Batman movie but Bale said he would do another one if Nolan wanted to and Nolan has never said he wouldn't do a Nightwing movie (Robin on his own)

Old
07-26-2012, 05:53 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

That's exactly what I thought of when I saw Blake drawing the chalk Batman symbols everywhere. "Hey, that looks almost like the Nightwing logo." It doesn't have to be a Robin story per se, but Nolan could go with the Dick Grayson story where he becomes Nightwing (just skipping the whole Robin part). IMO, there should be no more Nolan-directed Batman movies. It would ruin what is a perfect trilogy.

In the inevitable Batman reboot (because you know Nolan and Bale aren't going anywhere near a ridiculous JL movie), they could do a Batman and Robin, maybe.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 06:40 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
That's exactly what I thought of when I saw Blake drawing the chalk Batman symbols everywhere. "Hey, that looks almost like the Nightwing logo." It doesn't have to be a Robin story per se, but Nolan could go with the Dick Grayson story where he becomes Nightwing (just skipping the whole Robin part). IMO, there should be no more Nolan-directed Batman movies. It would ruin what is a perfect trilogy.

In the inevitable Batman reboot (because you know Nolan and Bale aren't going anywhere near a ridiculous JL movie), they could do a Batman and Robin, maybe.
I could see a Batman and Robin movie where Robin is the main character and Bale comes in for the final 30 minutes for the epic battle. Just please no Penguin.

Old
07-26-2012, 07:42 PM
scoringmachine

This thread should be closed for one reason this is a hockey forum not a movie forum.

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 07:51 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoringmachine View Post
This thread should be closed for one reason this is a hockey forum not a movie forum.
Well thanks for stopping by then.

Gordon Joseph Levitt was wicked in this movie, he could carry a spinoff on his own as Robin for sure, killer actor. Although the movie was hinting that maybe he would replace Bruce Wayne as batman ("Anyone can be Batman" was one of a few quotes that hinted at it) and of course him discovering the batcave at the end.

WhereIsIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 07:56 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
Really? You don't think people discuss other things in this forum? Please rookie.

Old
07-26-2012, 08:07 PM
Janko Unchained
Flames CBA Guy

vCash: 240
Quote:
My response to you, sir:

Re TDKR: Honestly, I thought this was the perfect way to end the trilogy, and probably my favourite of the three Nolan Batman movies. I also pretty much agree with everything that Noori and Duck Sauce had to say about the movie. The Talia storyline didn't surprise me in the least, but I felt that Cotillard, who is a good actress, just didn't feel completely comfortable with the role.

Also, obligatory love of Anne Hathaway. Hothothothothothothothot

Janko Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Signature
PEEP PEEP PARTY

I had the chance to rewatch the first two movies before seeing TDKR recently, but I have to say that the second movie was still the best.

TDKR was OK, but it just didn't do enough for me. Not enough major villains. They rushed Bane's ending en order for the "twist" to occur, but Talia's backstory was too loosely put together, and I wish Catwoman had more screentime/showed off more. She was too modest, almost reserved IMO than some of the other portrayals from comics/animated series.

JGL did a good job though, but I thought his "reveal" was kind of lame.

Overall, it was a good movie, but I just wanted more oomph, I guess. Nothing in this movie stood out for me but it was still an above-average production and therefore, definitely worth the watch.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 08:05 AM
Janko Unchained
Flames CBA Guy

vCash: 240
See, I personally really liked TDK almost solely because of Heath Ledger's Joker, whereas I found TDKR to be much deeper and more developed, that's mainly because of the number of new characters introduced/the return of the regulars. I don't feel Bane was really rushed at the end, just anti-climactic - like Harvey Dent/Two Face.

As for JGL, I thought his reveal was more of a nod to the fans than anything else - since his character has similarities to both Grayson and Drake.

Janko Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 01:10 AM
SvenBartschi27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
I liked it, the only thing that would have made it better is if a certain trio of teens weren't playing into a stereotype behind me.

Was great.
Trio of teens ... harry potter but honestly a great movie. just want to see another one ... soon.

SvenBartschi27 is offline   Reply With Quote