HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Other Chicago Sports Thread Part XI: The Rios Walkoff, Kustok Last-Night-Pied Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2012, 02:12 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Young and Cheap talent wont sit well with Brewer fans

They are not content to return to rebuild which is exactly what that type of return on there ace pitcher would signal

Brewers have gotten major boost in revenue in recent years with success of team on field drawing fans

Trading Greinke for future hopefuls is bad signal to fanbase that already watched a superstar leave via FA (Fielder)
So lets trade an Ace pitcher who could net an elite prospect for an at best #3 SP, who is overpaid, and injured? Just stop it. Even if they wanted MLB talent, they'd look to other teams that can offer better.

Old
07-26-2012, 02:24 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Danks could be their ace in that division. Foolish to say he's a #3.

I don't think it'd happen, but people on this board just overvalue prospects far too much.

Danks and his current deal>>prospect
If Crew believes they can contend in the next 2 years

Old
07-26-2012, 02:29 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Danks could be their ace in that division. Foolish to say he's a #3.

I don't think it'd happen, but people on this board just overvalue prospects far too much.

Danks and his current deal>>prospect
If Crew believes they can contend in the next 2 years
Disagree. Danks has been a high 3 ERA pitcher for years, that doesn't equal a #1 in even the NL Central. Trading Greinke for a guy that is owed 14M for the next 4 years, and been nothing move than solid, would be foolish. Give me the prospect all day long.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:30 PM
RayP

David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com reports that the Cubs are "moving closer" to trading right-hander Ryan Dempster to the Dodgers.
This confirms an earlier report by Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Kaplan hears that various scenarios are currently being discussed, including a possible multi-team deal. Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports reported earlier this week that the Cubs were asking for prospect right-hander Allen Webster in return from Los Angeles.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:42 PM
HawksRule7
Fehr the Reaper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
There is no way Greinke joins the White Sox, unless it is as a FA after this season. They have absolutely nothing to offer for a player of his caliber. The only kind of pitcher they might get, is a guy like Maholm. They don't have enough to even offer something for Dempster, even after his Braves fiasco.
Grienke's nothing more than a rental at this stage, and also a guy who's going to scare larger market teams because of his issues. Not saying the Sox have what it takes, but I think you may be overrating the situtation a tad. A guy like Maholm is not a big enough upgrade to justify a move.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:52 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksRule7 View Post
Grienke's nothing more than a rental at this stage, and also a guy who's going to scare larger market teams because of his issues. Not saying the Sox have what it takes, but I think you may be overrating the situtation a tad. A guy like Maholm is not a big enough upgrade to justify a move.
Pitchers like him still get elite prospects. The Brewers themselves gave up elite prospects for Sabathia to Cleveland. Giants last year gave up a top prospect in Zach Wheeler for Carlos Beltran, a rental. Teix hauled in a nice package as a rental. Cliff Lee brought in a stud prospect in Smoak as a rental, as well as others.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:04 PM
HawksRule7
Fehr the Reaper

Quote:
Pitchers like him still get elite prospects. The Brewers themselves gave up elite prospects for Sabathia to Cleveland. Giants last year gave up a top prospect in Zach Wheeler for Carlos Beltran, a rental. Teix hauled in a nice package as a rental. Cliff Lee brought in a stud prospect in Smoak as a rental, as well as others.
Oh, not saying there won't be a team out there who ends up giving the Brewers a great package. Funny though that none of the players that Cleveland got for CC ended up being "elite" and Justin Smoak just got demoted to the minors last I looked.

That said, I don't put Grienke on the level of CC and Cliff Lee when those trades were made... even though all have won a Cy. Those guys didn't have anxiety issues that would seem to be an issue in some places.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:11 PM
RayP

Quote:
Oh, not saying there won't be a team out there who ends up giving the Brewers a great package. Funny though that none of the players that Cleveland got for CC ended up being "elite" and Justin Smoak just got demoted to the minors last I looked.

That said, I don't put Grienke on the level of CC and Cliff Lee when those trades were made... even though all have won a Cy. Those guys didn't have anxiety issues that would seem to be an issue in some places.
Yeah, LaPorta bombed, but he was a freakin stud and was killing it in the minors when he was traded. Most saw him as a top 5 prospect, and everyone saw him in the top 10. Smoak went from a perfect situation in Texas, to a team and park that ruins hitter prospects. I was so excited when he was drafted by the Rangers, he was a mini Teix.

He might be a notch off, but he is very very close. I personally think the anxiety thing is a bit blown out of proportion, but that's just my opinion.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:28 PM
HawksRule7
Fehr the Reaper

When all's said and done next Tuesday, I do believe that Kenny will have acquired a starter (and not a lame Maholm-type)... much to the chagrin of the naysayers.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:36 PM
RayP

Quote:
When all's said and done next Tuesday, I do believe that Kenny will have acquired a starter (and not a lame Maholm-type)... much to the chagrin of the naysayers.
Like who? This year there don't see to be those Ted Lilly type guys available, partly because of the new WC format.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Like who? This year there don't see to be those Ted Lilly type guys available, partly because of the new WC format.
A vet like Millwood would be fine with me

Old
07-26-2012, 06:43 PM
RayP

Quote:
He would definitely be available, but he has only been mediocre in Seattle. Take him out of that huge park, and throw him into the Cell, and his ERA is going to be close to 5. I'd try more for a guy like Chris Young from the Mets, and hope to God he can stay healthy.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:46 PM
HawksRule7
Fehr the Reaper

Quote:
Wouldn't be a horrible move. Guy's been great at keeping the ball in the yard this year.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:47 PM
HawksRule7
Fehr the Reaper

Quote:
He would definitely be available, but he has only been mediocre in Seattle. Take him out of that huge park, and throw him into the Cell, and his ERA is going to be close to 5. I'd try more for a guy like Chris Young from the Mets, and hope to God he can stay healthy.
The Almighty himself can't even help Chris Young stay healthy.

Old
07-26-2012, 07:00 PM
RayP

Quote:
The Almighty himself can't even help Chris Young stay healthy.
This is true, but he should be dirt cheap to get... Unless the Mets still think they have a chance, not sure, don't follow the NL East very closely.

Old
07-26-2012, 07:31 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

It's funny that the guys, Ordrizzi and Cain specifically, that Milwaukee sent to KC for Greinke ended up being better than what Cleveland got, which was pretty much Brantley being the only nice piece.

The Brewers are said to want a SS back in the deal, which is a deal breaker for the Sox. Floyd can't acquire a top grade SS prospect considering that the only teams who have them are either in on Greinke or have made them untouchable. I'm looking at him going to the Angels for Jean Segura and Garrett Richards/other pieces.

Not to mention, Garza has the same contractual situation as Floyd and is valued much higher than him. It hurts his market a lot.

Old
07-26-2012, 07:32 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
You want Millwood, but you don't want Maholm? Maholm is a good pitcher. He's not a TORP guy but he's a good back end left hander. He's also controlled for another year.

Old
07-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Illinihockey

Bet Grienke goes to Texas

Old
07-26-2012, 08:00 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Bet Grienke goes to Texas
They make the most sense by far. Braves don't make sense. They have no hitting prospects, and the Brewers already have some great young arms. Not too familiar with the Nats prospects, but they could jump into this too.

Old
07-26-2012, 08:10 PM
RayP

Dodgers formally rejected Dempster for Webster, and say they're more focused on Garza now.

Old
07-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

vCash: 1868

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...2336--mlb.html

This is the guy that used to play for the Pirates.

Old
07-26-2012, 08:16 PM
HawksRule7
Fehr the Reaper

Quote:
They make the most sense by far. Braves don't make sense. They have no hitting prospects, and the Brewers already have some great young arms. Not too familiar with the Nats prospects, but they could jump into this too.
Read somewhere today that Nats aren't looking for a top-of-the rotation guy. As for Maholm/Millwood, one's proven he can pitch in the AL.

Old
07-26-2012, 08:17 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Dodgers formally rejected Dempster for Webster, and say they're more focused on Garza now.
They'd have to give Lee and Webster and a few low-A lottery tickets for Garza. The Cubs would probably trade him elsewhere.

In other news, Jae-Hoon Ha ran into a wall face first tonight. Was put on a stretcher and taken immediately away in an ambulance.

Old
07-26-2012, 08:18 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootie View Post

This is the guy that used to play for the Pirates.
I seriously had to look at the tags to see who that is...

Old
07-26-2012, 08:21 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
They'd have to give Lee and Webster and a few low-A lottery tickets for Garza. The Cubs would probably trade him elsewhere.

In other news, Jae-Hoon Ha ran into a wall face first tonight. Was put on a stretcher and taken immediately away in an ambulance.
In other news, Javier Baez is still killing the ball. Last 10 games hitting .386, including 2 0-4 games, 1.187 OPS, 3 HRs, 3 doubles, 3 triples, and 4 SBs.

Only issue is the guy can't take a walk to save his life.

Closed Thread