HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Oliver Bjorkstrand - Portland Winterhawks, WHL (2013, 89th overall, Columbus)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-26-2012, 08:46 PM
  #26
Tobias
Registered User
 
Tobias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Country: Denmark
Posts: 1,514
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Tobias
Wise decision, much better for his development i guess. I think he will do quite well in NA with his speed and goal scoring ability.

Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 08:58 PM
  #27
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
Wise decision, much better for his development i guess. I think he will do quite well in NA with his speed and goal scoring ability.
Is he physical ?

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:39 PM
  #28
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast
 
Jamie Benn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At The Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,837
vCash: 500
Great decision, excited to see him this season.

Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:21 PM
  #29
Trav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 616
vCash: 500
Great to see Bjorkstrand will come over.

Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:37 AM
  #30
Jevo
Registered User
 
Jevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Denmark
Posts: 2,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Is he physical ?
No, and he is quite small, 5'11 and 157 lbs. But that is one of the reasons why I think going to Portland was a good idea. Despite playing against men last year, it's gonna be very different for him in terms of physical play. The Danish league is not very physical, so going to a place where the rink is smaller and the opposition will play much more of a hitting game will help him develop. It will probably not make him much more physical, but it will make him learn how to play his game in a different physical setting.

He will probably need a bit of an adaption period in the start of the season, but as it rolls around I think he'll show his real skills. Other than that I agree with what Tobias said.

Jevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:34 PM
  #31
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
No, and he is quite small, 5'11 and 157 lbs. But that is one of the reasons why I think going to Portland was a good idea. Despite playing against men last year, it's gonna be very different for him in terms of physical play. The Danish league is not very physical, so going to a place where the rink is smaller and the opposition will play much more of a hitting game will help him develop. It will probably not make him much more physical, but it will make him learn how to play his game in a different physical setting.

He will probably need a bit of an adaption period in the start of the season, but as it rolls around I think he'll show his real skills. Other than that I agree with what Tobias said.
He'll have trouble adjusting at first, but he should be able to put a PPG.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 05:17 AM
  #32
Valdemar
Danish junior hockey
 
Valdemar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sevilla, Spain
Country: Denmark
Posts: 121
vCash: 500
Oliver has had a really good pre-season it seems.

He ended as the teams leading scorer, with 4 goals and 3 assists in 4 games. His four points in the last pre-season game tied him for the WHL lead in pre-season scoring, and he is (of course) the highest scoring rookie.

Not bad for a 17 year old who still need some time adjusting to the smaller surface and more physical NA-play.

With a little luck he could be a PPG player this season.

A couple of articles where he is mentioned:

http://www.winterhawks.com/article/h...seattle/126575

http://www.oregonlive.com/hawks/inde...ions_wint.html


Last edited by Valdemar: 09-11-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Valdemar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 07:32 AM
  #33
thomast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,563
vCash: 500
Oliver has potential to put above PPG.

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 07:19 PM
  #34
pdxshark
@jmbradd
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 1,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesSir View Post
Oliver has had a really good pre-season it seems.

He ended as the teams leading scorer, with 4 goals and 3 assists in 4 games. His four points in the last pre-season game tied him for the WHL lead in pre-season scoring, and he is (of course) the highest scoring rookie.

Not bad for a 17 year old who still need some time adjusting to the smaller surface and more physical NA-play.

With a little luck he could be a PPG player this season.

A couple of articles where he is mentioned:

http://www.winterhawks.com/article/h...seattle/126575

http://www.oregonlive.com/hawks/inde...ions_wint.html
He was good in the training camp I was able to make it to. He shoots the puck a lot. Very good instincts in that regard. Getting pucks to the net is rarely a problem for coaches. Will be interested to see his defensive game but his offensive skills are plentiful. Look forward to watching him a ton this season. I think Seth Jones is going to bring a lot of exposure to the Winterhawks other draft eligibles this season.

pdxshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 09:15 PM
  #35
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,173
vCash: 50
I will say it now, but don't be surprised if Bjorkstrand makes his way into the 1st round.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 09:18 PM
  #36
Rolen
sick
 
Rolen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 752
vCash: 50
Nice to see a bunch of Danish talent showcase in the past few years.

Rolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 09:23 PM
  #37
Ashasx
Registered User
 
Ashasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,630
vCash: 500
He's had a really good start to the season. I think there's great value to be had if he's picked late in the first.

Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 09:27 PM
  #38
GetThePuckOut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,289
vCash: 1081
I like how he wears Bartschi's old #27. Hopefully him and Rattie have the same type of chemistry.

GetThePuckOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 10:44 PM
  #39
Jevo
Registered User
 
Jevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Denmark
Posts: 2,439
vCash: 500
I was a bit worried before the season that he would have trouble adjusting to the NA game. But from the first 3 games and the pre-season games, it looks like he had no problems adjusting.

Jevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 11:07 PM
  #40
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING
 
Hansen 36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nanaimo, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,962
vCash: 420
Canucks will draft him in the late 1st if that's where we pick.

Hansen 36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 11:26 AM
  #41
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,600
vCash: 4250
Saw him for the first time last night. Clearly a skilled kid. Reminds me a bit of a guy like Patric Hornqvist.

Overall I thought he was too soft for my liking, but he definitely is a skilled kid who should put up some strong numbers this season for the Hawks.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 11:35 AM
  #42
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,173
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Saw him for the first time last night. Clearly a skilled kid. Reminds me a bit of a guy like Patric Hornqvist.

Overall I thought he was too soft for my liking, but he definitely is a skilled kid who should put up some strong numbers this season for the Hawks.
I agree he won't be the most physical, but he only is 175 currently. I would like to see how he plays when he is closer to 190.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 12:12 PM
  #43
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,600
vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I agree he won't be the most physical, but he only is 175 currently. I would like to see how he plays when he is closer to 190.
Weight doesn't change physicality, effort level, mindset and drive changes physicality.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 12:19 PM
  #44
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,173
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Weight doesn't change physicality, effort level, mindset and drive changes physicality.
Agreed, I was talking about being pushed off the puck in the corners or infront of the net sort of toughness from weight.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 09:01 AM
  #45
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
Great start for Oliver Bjørkstrand for Portland. 3 games, 3 goals and 2 assists. 8'th overall in WHL for points and best rookie.

Even his older brother Patrick is doing well in Mora in Sweden where Anze Kopitar really seems to also fire up. Patrick Bjørkstrand has 5 matches, 2 goals and 1 assist (Anze Kopitar has 2 matches, 1 goal and 4 assists).

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 08:19 PM
  #46
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser
 
Sartorial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,124
vCash: 500
Was in Moose Jaw the other night watching them face the Winter Hawks. I was super impressed with Bjorkstrand, he plays a very cerebral game. He's an intelligent and creative passer who always seemed to make the right play. He was fine in his own end, even showing some serious compete to win battles. It appeared he was getting top 6 minutes with some power play time too.

Sartorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 08:37 AM
  #47
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrappingYoungChad View Post
Was in Moose Jaw the other night watching them face the Winter Hawks. I was super impressed with Bjorkstrand, he plays a very cerebral game. He's an intelligent and creative passer who always seemed to make the right play. He was fine in his own end, even showing some serious compete to win battles. It appeared he was getting top 6 minutes with some power play time too.
Good to hear a recent update of his game.
It seems that it was a good choice and right moment to change to North America. If he continues with developing his playmaking skills and point production a late 1 round draft pick or second round seems not at all impossible. His small size though might decrease his ranking somewhat if we compared with Nicklas Jensen.


Last edited by Justinov: 10-10-2012 at 04:18 AM.
Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 01:11 PM
  #48
Kesler2Kesler
Yup
 
Kesler2Kesler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 832
vCash: 500
Is he playing center or wing?

Kesler2Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 01:16 PM
  #49
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser
 
Sartorial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler2Kesler View Post
Is he playing center or wing?
He was playing wing

Sartorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 01:25 PM
  #50
Kesler2Kesler
Yup
 
Kesler2Kesler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrappingYoungChad View Post
He was playing wing
Alrighty, thanks.

Kesler2Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.