HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Offseason Armchair GM Thread Part IIX (aka VIII)

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2012, 08:12 PM
KirbyDots

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyDont View Post
"The Sharks could have offered a similar, or even a better package without giving up Couture. How does Ryane Clowe, Joe Pavelski, Jason Demers, Alex Stalock, and a first round pick sound? Much better than what the Blue Jackets got from the Rangers."

I saw that article. Is he crazy or just stupid? Seriously what planet does he live on to think that's fair value.

Shakehead emoticon indeed.

Old
07-26-2012, 08:19 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnderFunk View Post
In: Brad Stuart, Adam Burish

Out: Daniel Winnik, Dominic Moore, Torrey Mitchell, Benn Ferriero, Brad Winchester, Jim Vandermeer, Colin White

You'd have to be insane to think this year's roster is better than last year's IMO. Forward depth was one of our biggest issues last year and it has only gotten worse
Call me insane. The Sharks still need to sign 2 forwards. Yeah I think the roster will be better this year

Old
07-26-2012, 08:20 PM
sjshrky27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
He still needs to sign 2 forwards
According to you/me and everyone else. But apparently DW thinks different

Old
07-26-2012, 08:20 PM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

vCash: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnderFunk View Post
In: Brad Stuart, Adam Burish

Out: Daniel Winnik, Dominic Moore, Torrey Mitchell, Benn Ferriero, Brad Winchester, Jim Vandermeer, Colin White

You'd have to be insane to think this year's roster is better than last year's IMO. Forward depth was one of our biggest issues last year and it has only gotten worse
I think DW has his big move up his sleeve, no way he thinks Burish and Stuart are the missing pieces. Although the best move so far was adding Robinson IMO.

Old
07-26-2012, 08:21 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thLinePlug View Post
I see the Sharks as the 5-7 place team in the west.

Vancouver+LA+STL top3. Chicago is #4. Us, Phoenix, Minny, Nashville, Detriot, EDMONTON all contend for 5-8.

Nashville pulls a Phoenix. Their system works so well for them, no matter who they have playing it. Josi looks like Suter lite, so he steps in, and their abundance of top D prospects feeds a 5-6 guy to amaze us all.

Edmonton should turn things around. I see them as 10th, but they will compete.

Detriot always finds a way. Dont count them out until they die.
You really think Minny is going to go from being arguably the worst team in league to 7th... Ok so with Pariase and Sutuer how more GFs and how many less GAs do you think that will equal?

Old
07-26-2012, 08:22 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
According to you/me and everyone else. But apparently DW thinks different
He currently has 11 NHL ready forwards signed. You at least need 12 and probably want one spare part.

He probably is thinking smaller than you

Old
07-26-2012, 08:23 PM
do0glas

It seems easy to predict the sharks failure next year because we are largely going in with the same team.

For now, I'm okay with the lack of turnover. They are missing one more move though, and we still don't know if pavs maintains his spot on the wing. If dw is looking for wingers, someone will have to move...couture marleau are the only other centers and neither of them will be on the third line.

The new coaching approach should be a dramatic 180 and I think the passive system restrained a lot of players speed..our forechecking was never a problem except against teams like phx/stl.

My biggest concern is with the bottom six.

As always I choose to be optimistic, and I still see us as a contender. Especially with detroit and nashvilles current rosters.

Old
07-26-2012, 08:28 PM
WantonAbandon

Lots of people are forgetting that against the elite talent teams including the cup champions the Sharks were quite good and had a dominating record. It was teams like the Yotes and Blues that gave the Sharks some pause. If the Sharks make the adjustment to take them out they may go as far as winning the conference. The Pk is a big part of that key.

On another note, I don't think the Blues will be quite as good this year either

Old
07-26-2012, 08:35 PM
McLovin25
Eberle=Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
You really think Minny is going to go from being arguably the worst team in league to 7th... Ok so with Pariase and Sutuer how more GFs and how many less GAs do you think that will equal?
you seem to forget the fact that without parise and suter last year, they were 1st in the west until injuries took their toll.

A healthy minnesota team with parise and Suter is a playoff team.

Old
07-26-2012, 08:46 PM
KirbyDots

Rumor floating around the twitter rumor monger verse that René Bourque is going to be traded to the Sharks for a D. Only mentioned due to boredom and its slightly more plausible than the usual bunk.

Old
07-26-2012, 08:49 PM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

vCash: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
Rumor floating around the twitter rumor monger verse that René Bourque is going to be traded to the Sharks for a D. Only mentioned due to boredom and its slightly more plausible than the usual bunk.
I'd be on board with it if that D is Murray.

Old
07-26-2012, 08:58 PM
thrillermiller89

Quote:
i dont like bourque.... ugh

Old
07-26-2012, 08:58 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
I'd be on board with it if that D is Murray.
Me too, but if that is Demers, Boyle, or Braun I will be pissed.

Old
07-26-2012, 09:00 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
Me too, but if that is Demers, Boyle, or Braun I will be pissed.
There's is no way it would be Boyle or Braun unless something else major is coming back. I could see Demers though if the org does indeed think Braun has the brighter future.

Old
07-26-2012, 09:03 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
If we trade Boyle for Bourque we should have another one of those Bus trips immediately to DW's house.

Old
07-26-2012, 09:04 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
There's is no way it would be Boyle or Braun unless something else major is coming back. I could see Demers though if the org does indeed think Braun has the brighter future.
Even if they thought that, you don't trade Demers for scraps which is what Bourque is.

Old
07-26-2012, 09:06 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Even if they thought that, you don't trade Demers for scraps which is what Bourque is.
Especially at his cap hit

Old
07-26-2012, 09:07 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Yuup!

Old
07-26-2012, 09:09 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
I didn't say I agreed with it, just that I could see it happening. Also who knows what else might be involved. Just a stupid rumor at this point but with our options getting fewer every day so we might as well discuss it. Murray is the far more likely option anyway, its been rumored that the Habs have had interest in him in the past.

Old
07-26-2012, 09:14 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
I really don't pay much attention to Bourque. How's his skating?

Old
07-26-2012, 09:25 PM
BrianSmith
Chokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Bourque is more than just scraps - he's overpaid but he would be a good addition to our third line with the way that it is right now.

Old
07-26-2012, 09:28 PM
BrianSmith
Chokers

Quote:
I didn't say I agreed with it, just that I could see it happening. Also who knows what else might be involved. Just a stupid rumor at this point but with our options getting fewer every day so we might as well discuss it. Murray is the far more likely option anyway, its been rumored that the Habs have had interest in him in the past.
I think their interest in Murray becomes far less after they brought Emmelin (sp?) in... the guy is their DM.

If the rumor is true then it is probably for Braun or Demers.

Old
07-26-2012, 09:30 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
He can skate and has some speed.

Demers for Bourque makes some sense. Trading a Dman who, for some reason, isn't in favor here (with DW and coaches) and is RFA after this season for a consistent 20 goal scorer signed through 2015-16? Again, makes sense, no?

Old
07-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
He can skate and has some speed.

Demers for Bourque makes some sense. Trading a Dman who, for some reason, isn't in favor here (with DW and coaches) for a consistent 20 goal scorer signed through 2015-16? Again, makes sense, no?
Makes sense. That would mean DW has enough faith in Irwin or Pelech to step up if needed.

07-26-2012, 09:34 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Maybe but I'd avoid Bourque altogether. He's extremely limited at 30, coming off a down year with four more years to go on his contract, and trading for him means three teams in two seasons which has its own set of issues. I have more faith in Murray bouncing back in a third pairing role than Bourque returning to the 27 goal, 50 point form he saw in Calgary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
Bourque is more than just scraps - he's overpaid but he would be a good addition to our third line with the way that it is right now.
Bourque's value is in his goal scoring. He doesn't do much else and at 30, he's not going to get any better overall. If they acquired him for a mid-round pick then maybe you can take the chance but I wouldn't trade a roster player for him...well, except for Handzus.

Closed Thread