HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Peter Bondra's game

Old
07-23-2012, 04:14 AM
AfroJak

vCash: 500
Peter Bondra's game

I was pretty young when he was in his prime and didn't understand what a player brings to the team, game, etc. back then- but I thought he was a good player back then.

Can you guys please tell me about his game, line-mates, any great performances or what his situation was like in Washington

AfroJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 04:20 AM
Master Shake*

Bondras game was about speed. He was respectable in his own end and deadly on offense. Very very fast guy. He wasnt a real creative guy but he had a ton of skill. If you turned over the puck near him he was gone.

Master Shake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 04:54 AM
kingpest19

One of the best goal scoring threats in the league in the mid to late 90s but that was about it. Not much of a passer but with the puck on his stick brought fans out of the seats.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:10 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Lethal one timer on the powerplay. Deadly in the offensive zone in general. Really fast skater with a great shot. Not a great checker, but the Capitals of the 90s had those in spades, so his skilled offensive game was an essential part of the team.

Will almost certainly have his number retired in Washington, it's just a matter of when.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:22 AM
bewbies

I loved watching him play. I think the closest thing in the league to him today is probably Gaborik, or maybe Kovy from his ATL days. Maybe the best skater in the league, nasty shot from anywhere in the zone, great dangler. Vision and passing was just average. He'd shoot from anywhere too which was always entertaining.

Come to think of it there were a lot of players who were like that in that era: Bure, Mogilny, Palffy, Selanne, Amonte...they were so much fun to watch.

edit - special shoutout to Geoff Sanderson who was one of the most entertaining players in the game before he forgot how to play the hockey

bewbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:30 AM
Puckgenius*

Poor mans Bure. And thats not a bad thing at all.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Big Phil

Among the fastest and best skaters in the NHL. He could use it in the context of a game like few others. But, like mentioned, outside of being a goal scoring threat he didn't bring much else to the table. But man, he could score goals

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 04:12 PM
begbeee

Everything was said.
Goals and speed.
Probably the fastest skater in his prime.
He had great both wrist and slapshot.
Often played QB on PP.
He successfuly played on PK units as a breakaway threat.
Great locker room guy.

In early stage of his career he played with Dmitri Kristich and especially with Pivonka, with whom he had the best chemistry. Altough Adam Oates was his teammate later, after Pivonka retired, he played on a line with Andrei Nikolishin.

All he had to do on those poor Capitals teams was to score a goal. And he did it as good as not many players in history.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 11:04 AM
KarlssonMarx
Be Red

So basically he was Gaborik

KarlssonMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 02:30 PM
begbeee

Gaborik is always one big dissapointment. Bondra lived to his expectations.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:38 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

One of the best breakaway artists ever, both in creating breakaways and finishing them. A bit of a cherry picker in the NHL, but Slovakian fans swear he regularly played a good two-way game for the National teams

Those Caps teams were hilarious - it really was "get the puck to Bondra and let him score."

The biggest minus - Bondra had very little vision for setting up teammates.

I believe Bondra has the most extreme goals/assists ratio of any post expansion player who would be considered a star. It was partly a result of the way the Caps used him: feed him the puck and let him try to beat the other team by himself. I think that the way the Caps used him inflated his goal totals, but deflated his assist totals. Even so, he was still much better at scoring goals than setting them up.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 07-25-2012 at 02:44 PM.
TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 02:51 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
One of the best breakaway artists ever, both in creating breakaways and finishing them. A bit of a cherry picker in the NHL, but Slovakian fans swear he regularly played a good two-way game for the National teams

Those Caps teams were hilarious - it really was "get the puck to Bondra and let him score."

The biggest minus - Bondra had very little vision for setting up teammates.

I believe Bondra has the most extreme goals/assists ratio of any post expansion player who would be considered a star. It was partly a result of the way the Caps used him: feed him the puck and let him try to beat the other team by himself. I think that the way the Caps used him inflated his goal totals, but deflated his assist totals. Even so, he was still much better at scoring goals than setting them up.
In the lockout shortened 94/95 season, Bondra scored the most goals with 34 goals in 47 games and only got 9 assists.

That made him 1st in goals that season and 258th in assists.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:14 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

One thing about Bondra...he would shoot from anywhere, everywhere...not a selective shooter...I've seen him unleash wrist shots from behind the blueline before...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Cool Beans Man

Was definitely one of my favourite players to watch. Always rooted for Slovakia internationally, after Canada of course.

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:43 PM
Alain Racette

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
In the lockout shortened 94/95 season, Bondra scored the most goals with 34 goals in 47 games and only got 9 assists.

That made him 1st in goals that season and 258th in assists.
WOW

Alain Racette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:50 AM
begbeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
One thing about Bondra...he would shoot from anywhere, everywhere...not a selective shooter...I've seen him unleash wrist shots from behind the blueline before...
That's not exactly the worst thing when you are the one there for scoring goals.
He regulary (ok, it's a lil'bit exaggerated) scored goals from behind the goal, one of the most famous when he scored on prime Hasek from behind the goal line.

A trivia info: he was deadly against Tampa Bay. He killed them during his whole career. He sets a NHL record for fastest 4 goals. And he is in five-or-more goals in a game club.

His two-way game: I tend to agree with TDMM about Bondra being a bit of cherrypicker. But not in national team. Maybe it's something hard to understand for overseas hockey culture but he is not the only one. Satan or Demitra both have a label of lazy NHL player, but god, just watch them in NT jersey. They could kill penalties...

Old
07-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
That's not exactly the worst thing when you are the one there for scoring goals.
Certainly not. He was a terrific scorer.

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:51 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Bondra never had a rep as a floater or cherry picker as a Cap. More responsible than some are giving credit for. He was a triggerman. His job was to shoot and score. Not a setup guy at all, but the Caps had those roles filled, so it was a perfect fit.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:19 AM
begbeee

He regulary played on PK - the proof are his seasons and career totals in shorthanded goals.
He was there as breakaway threat and it worked. And there had to be some amount of responsibility.

Old
07-26-2012, 11:25 PM
overpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
He regulary played on PK - the proof are his seasons and career totals in shorthanded goals.
He was there as breakaway threat and it worked. And there had to be some amount of responsibility.
Bondra scored 32 shorthanded goals and was on the ice for 107 power play goals against. I believe that's the highest ratio of SHG to PPGA of any player with a substantial number of SHG (i.e. not Yvan Cournoyer, who had 1 SHG and 0 PPGA.)

I would guess from those numbers that he tended to come out in the second half of the power play against tired players and second units, but it's still impressive.

overpass is offline   Reply With Quote