HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Visiting Vancouver

Old
07-26-2012, 10:42 PM
canuck4life16

vCash: 50
maybe next time take the ferry and go to Vancouver Island? like Victoria

canuck4life16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:46 PM
Smokey McCanucks

vCash: 500
If you like Indian food you gotta go to Vij's, I base all my recipes on their stuff, that place is amazing.

Smokey McCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:19 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Too bad your sons aren't 19+. I'm throwing a house party on the 10th.
I know someone who is over 19.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:27 PM
VANCAN89

You should check out Antons Pasta..on Hastings. Very good food..excellent price for very large portions..also check out Stanley Park, English Bay, Lonsdale Quay(Key)..

VANCAN89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:26 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANCAN89 View Post
You should check out Antons Pasta..on Hastings. Very good food..excellent price for very large portions..also check out Stanley Park, English Bay, Lonsdale Quay(Key)..
I've never managed to eat at that place. It's swarming with people every single night.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:38 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Too bad your sons aren't 19+. I'm throwing a house party on the 10th.

In terms of food restaurants I recommend:

Taqueria - Mexican
Memphis Blues - BBQ(you guys probably have better)
Suika - Japanese
Donair Dude - Donairs
The Red Wagon - Breakfast
Bella Galateria - Desserts
Thai Basil - Thai
Mr. Pickwicks Fish & Chips - Seafood
Go Fish Emporium - Seafood
La Grota Del Formaggio - Sandwiches/Desserts (Best sandwich I've had)
Khunnami Chang Thai - Thai
Peaceful Restaurant - Oriental
Meat and Bread - Sandwiches
Dinesty Chinese Restaurant - Oriental
Thomas Haas Fine Chocolates & Patisserie - Baked goods
Moderne Burger - Burgers
Belgian Fries - Burgers+Poutine
Romer's Burger Bar - Burgers
Potter's Garden - Korean BBQ
Anatolia's Gate - Mediterranean(Turkish)
Stepho's - Greek
Japadog - Japanese inspired Hotdogs
Cafe Medina - Breakfast
Damso Modern Korean Cuisine - Korean BBQ
Phenom Penh - Vietnamese
Kiss Yo Mama - Caribbean
Las Tortas - Mexican
La Belle Patate - Sandwiches
Nicli Antica Pizzeria - Pizza
Uncle Fatih's - Pizza
Phao Thai Hoa - Vietnamese
Wild Rice - Chinese Fusion
Dogfather - Hotdogs
Mean Poutine - Fried Chicken Poutine, nuff said.
Twisted Fork Bistro - French
Jethro's Fine Grub - Breakfast GOOD!

Foodtrucks:
Fresh Local Wild - Seafood
Re-Up BBQ - BBQ
Moms Grilled Cheese - Grilled Cheeses
Mangal Kiss Mid-East BBQ - Middle Eastern

So many things wrong with your list, but you suggest Uncle Fatih's to a family of tourists you have hit the bottom. It's cheap pizza with cheap toppings that tastes good when you're loaded.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:41 AM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
So many things wrong with your list, but you suggest Uncle Fatih's to a family of tourists you have hit the bottom. It's cheap pizza with cheap toppings that tastes good when you're loaded.

You're welcome to make your own list.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:54 AM
VANCAN89

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
I've never managed to eat at that place. It's swarming with people every single night.
You should my friend, you will not be dissapointed.

VANCAN89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:00 AM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Imo it's crap. Large servings of cheap Italian pasta. Just my opinion though.

CommonMeans* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:10 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonMeans View Post
Imo it's crap. Large servings of cheap Italian pasta. Just my opinion though.
Agreed, Stepho's is the Greek version. Line ups for cheap, large portions of average food.

To the OP, lots of choices.

Vij's is a Vancouver icon and worth the visit. You could walk up from Granville Island in 10-15 mins. The issue might be the wait. You can't reserve and it's always packed. Either get there 45 minutes before opening and then take turns holding the spot or dump the kids at the hotel, head over and drink in the lounge.

And like taco said, ignore the concierge list Wetcoaster provides, it's useless for a family of 5. The suburbanites might be impressed with the yellow pages listings, but don't get too wrapped up. Spend a day in and around Stanley Park, skip the aquarium. Don't let anyone tell you shopping on Robson is great. A bunch of chain stores you already have, except not as good.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:14 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Oh, try Kintaro Ramen too! Around $8 for a HUGE bowl of ramen; it's made by Japanese people too.

Located at 788 Deman St., Vancouver (basically the intersection between Robson and Deman)

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:16 AM
express

On the Vij's note, also check out Rangoli right next door. The food comes from the same kitchen and has a much more casual atmosphere (and is a bit lighter on the wallet).

Worth going if you want more of a quick bite.

express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:41 AM
Johnny LaRue

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
If you're going to Whistler I recommend going ziplining. It's a blast.

http://www.whistler.com/activities/summer/zipline/
I want to echo this comment. It is so much fun.

Johnny LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Hi-wayman

Recomending a number of restraunts is great, but these visitors are coming from an area, or atleast close by, that features great culinary choices from around the world. Vancouver's restraunts can rival those found it NJ and NY, but they won't surpass them.

A more practical suggestion is to recomend sites unique to the west coast and the Vancouver area. Especially sites that will interest the teens. Granville Island will not be too different than other markets found in the east. Biking around English Bay and Stanley Park is a good suggestion. The best for the kids will be Capalino Suspension Bridge and the gondola ride up Grouse Mountain. Whistler would be a good day's outing, but so would going whale watching out from Steveston.

If time permitted and depending on which city, Vancouver or Seattle, they are going to first, I would recomend the ferry trip from Seattle to Victoria, then drive up the Malahat stopping at Duncan and the Cowichan Valley (fantastic murals on the buildings and authentic First Nations craftmanship including true Cowichan sweaters) then on to Nanaimo for the ferry trip to Vancouver (or reverse if coming to Vancouver first)

In short great west coast scenery and interests that are not duplicated any where else and cater to the interests of teens and adults combined.

Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 08:06 PM
AvantiCanada*

I would go fishing for Sturegeon fishing in the Fraser or Pacific Salmon fishing out of Vancouver harbour. Either way your family will have a great time and you'll catch something guaranteed!

AvantiCanada* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:02 AM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Someone should sticky this thread.

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:21 AM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey McCanucks View Post
If you like Indian food you gotta go to Vij's, I base all my recipes on their stuff, that place is amazing.
Agreed. Love it. I have the cook book. But I fail.

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:22 AM
Nuck This

There's a ton of great restaurants here. You won't need to worry about chains.

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

vCash: 200
I would give the food carts a try as well. Lots of carts now in the summer

Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:12 PM
Demko

If you're willing to make a little trek, come out to Steveston in Richmond. It's VERY scenic, especially if you enjoy fishing. It's known as a fishing village so TONNES of fishing boats, the wharf, water, sunset and the cannery house as well... Absolutely gorgeous. I'm a local and I go there every other week.

Also, not too shabby on food either... Dave's Fish and Chips is very well known as one of the best Fish and Chips places in Richmond if not Vancouver.

I know sushi has been mentioned alot (since you're on the westcoast) but there is a place called Ichiro's. Highly recommend that as well. Tad bit pricey, but you get what you pay for. I'd say it's up there with Tojo's (Tojo is WORLD renowned and I'm extremely picky about sushi).

If you enjoy your seafood, a new place recently opened up right on the wharf. It's called "The Crab King" basically, you can order 2 or 3 crabs in a pot with potatoes, carrots and other various seafoods for a meal. You can also get Dungeness crab poutine or shrimp poutine (BOTH FANTASTIC) or of course your mussels and oysters. Definitely worth while to check out!

For dessert, or just a treat you can get these things called "screamers". They're basically a slushy/slurpee with icecream in it. Sounds simple enough right? THEY ARE AMAZING! One located right in the heart of Steveston in front of the cannery house. There's also flavoured mini donuts, can't go wrong with those things... Ever...

FINALLY, you can also go Whale watching out there. Never of done it myself, but really want to check it out too! Tonnes of heritage out there. One of the main attractions to Vancouver I'd say when out of towners come here!

Enjoy your travels!

P.S. Forgot to mention Gary Point. It's kinda a beach... Again, very touristy.. Another worth while check out

Demko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 07:39 PM
indfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDIE LACK View Post
If you're willing to make a little trek, come out to Steveston in Richmond. It's VERY scenic, especially if you enjoy fishing. It's known as a fishing village so TONNES of fishing boats, the wharf, water, sunset and the cannery house as well... Absolutely gorgeous. I'm a local and I go there every other week.

Also, not too shabby on food either... Dave's Fish and Chips is very well known as one of the best Fish and Chips places in Richmond if not Vancouver.

I know sushi has been mentioned alot (since you're on the westcoast) but there is a place called Ichiro's. Highly recommend that as well. Tad bit pricey, but you get what you pay for. I'd say it's up there with Tojo's (Tojo is WORLD renowned and I'm extremely picky about sushi).

If you enjoy your seafood, a new place recently opened up right on the wharf. It's called "The Crab King" basically, you can order 2 or 3 crabs in a pot with potatoes, carrots and other various seafoods for a meal. You can also get Dungeness crab poutine or shrimp poutine (BOTH FANTASTIC) or of course your mussels and oysters. Definitely worth while to check out!

For dessert, or just a treat you can get these things called "screamers". They're basically a slushy/slurpee with icecream in it. Sounds simple enough right? THEY ARE AMAZING! One located right in the heart of Steveston in front of the cannery house. There's also flavoured mini donuts, can't go wrong with those things... Ever...

FINALLY, you can also go Whale watching out there. Never of done it myself, but really want to check it out too! Tonnes of heritage out there. One of the main attractions to Vancouver I'd say when out of towners come here!

Enjoy your travels!

P.S. Forgot to mention Gary Point. It's kinda a beach... Again, very touristy.. Another worth while check out
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions (so far ... feel free to keep 'em coming!). I am thinking we may need to extend our stay We will be arriving in Vancouver (driving from Seattle) late in the evening on the 7th and staying until the night of the 11th (driving back to Seattle that night). Our flight out of Seattle isn't until the 13th, so if we get enough of Seattle in the first couple of days, maybe we add another night in Vancouver.

If any of you ever find yourself in NJ and looking to catch a Devils game, just let me know (I have season tix).

indfin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 07:58 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
I would give the food carts a try as well. Lots of carts now in the summer
Japadog is well liked, also Badabing is really good at the Burrard skytrain station

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:13 AM
indfin

Just wanted to post a quick thank-you to all who provided information, suggestions, etc.

Just got back from our trip! Had an amazing time. Spent a day in Stanley Park, got to Whistler for a day (did the river rafting), spent a day using the Aqua Bus to get around to different parts of the city. Spent some time at Granville Island and even found Lynn Canyon Park Hotel was a short walk from Sunset Beach so spent a couple of evenings there.

Food was great, people were very friendly, scenery was spectacular (and we lucked out with weather our entire trip ... every day in Seattle and Vancouver were great ... only rain was the thunderstorm on the night we drove to Vancouver from Seattle).

Could have stayed a lot longer ... can't wait to go back some day.

indfin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:34 AM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

vCash: 883
Glad you enjoyed your stay, indfin.

--------------------------

Why do we have a stickied thread for the XBox league but not a Vancouver tourism thread? Seriously, we get hordes of tourists here every year, there've been at least 3 or 4 threads like this from visitors this summer, why not actually have one sticked thread for this like pretty much every other team forum? Even the forums for teams located in cities that people run screaming from have them. How come we don't? Really don't see a good reason for that.

Hrmph. Just want to make it easier for folks to come here and spend their money, that's all.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 02:57 AM
TTOMO

Quote:
If you get there right at 4, you're good, but if you get there even 15 minutes later, it's a different story.

TTOMO is offline   Reply With Quote