HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Staios joins Leafs front office

Old
07-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Whydidijoin*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
This might come across as cynical, even though I don't feel too strongly about Staios at all, but I don't really see the point in slowly grooming a minor league coach from scratch, if that is their ultimate goal. It's funny you mention Eakins. The years of development they put into Dallas Eakins as a coach is likely going to go to waste: when the Leafs needed a coaching change, they simply signed a fat cheque and brought in a 'celebrity' big league coach. So in all likelihood, they're just going to spend a bit of change developing a coach for someone else. What's the point?

Also, don't we have Jim Hughes, the soft spoken gentleman with the great head of hair working as the director of player development? Why do we really need another guy to do the same job?

If the farm system was just spitting out gem prospects every year, maybe I'd be a bit more appreciative, but it just looks like a lot of busy work.

Again, I don't actually feel too strongly about it, I just don't see what's being accomplished.
Good coaching and development, and more and more opinions, techniques, preperation, etc. for our prospects.

Last I checked, Eakins was still in our organization and helped our team to the AHL finals which gave our prospects valuable experience. Even if he doesn't become our coach in the future, having him in the organization for whatever time we do has already helped the Leafs.

Maybe having another position like this is not worth the money, but if it's not our money, who the hell cares? Having more opinions is never a bad thing, at least when there is still a distinct line of command.

Anybody complaining about this is just creating busy work... for themselves.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:37 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

It sounds like this is a similar position to what Doug Gilmour held when he was with the Leafs and I'm pretty sure this is a common sort of job held by former players who are looking to move into management.

rojac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Brown Dog

I'm very excited about this move. Almost as excited as I was when we brought in Dave Poulin--but not quite.

Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:41 AM
Tyler Biggs*
Go Leafs Go!

He will advise Toronto management on the prospects and players at all levels of the organization. He will also take on special assignments for both the amateur and pro scouting departments.

Tyler Biggs* is offline   Reply With Quote