Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2012, 04:26 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
I wouldnt want to trade either of those centers for Ryan either, frankly. They are cheap, productive, play a more important and harder to replace position, and will be needed once Briere is gone.

Four quality centers does mean that they can theoretically trade one and probably be fine though.
Whos' productive? Certainly not Schenn

Old
07-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
I would have given Semin $7 million a year on a one year deal.
I mean with Teemu odds are having his last season this could have been our last chance while Getz,Fowler and Perry were on a good contracts to take a risk on a one year deal. $7 million would have not impacted us cap wise at all on a one year deal. This is why I wouldn't mind overpaying for one season for a Semin/Doan type player.
Boudreau and Semin don't get along, he was never an option. Personally I wouldn't want Semin anywhere near my hockey team, I don't care how skilled he is, he's a lazy floater who would rather play fancy hockey than do what it takes to win games. As the guys on TSN said, he's a coach killer.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:39 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Boudreau and Semin don't get along, he was never an option. Personally I wouldn't want Semin anywhere near my hockey team, I don't care how skilled he is, he's a lazy floater who would rather play fancy hockey than do what it takes to win games. As the guys on TSN said, he's a coach killer.
Semin's issues were off the ice. He was an incredible player on both ends of the ice, last year. He isn't Radulov.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Jesus Teemu

vCash: 50
Obviously I would've rather traded or signed a different top six forward, but Semin would undoubtedly help this current top 6 IMO.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Semin's issues were off the ice. He was an incredible player on both ends of the ice, last year. He isn't Radulov.
When he wanted to be he was. He's not as bad as Radulov, when he wants to be he's pretty good defensively. The key words being when he wants to be. There's a reason he's been called out by multiple past teammates and respected media personalities.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
I agree. Not everyone lashes out on him like Crawford in that idiotic rant that pretty much only proved that had not watched him recently or that he has some tough bias against him. Semin isn't the smartes guy when it comes to making defensive decisions, but he's not any less likely to take a lazy back check than your run of the mill offensive star player. When he really wants, he's actually one of the harder workers. (Still not the most effective.) I am not quite sure why he has become the poster boy for the cliche lazy Russian when he was a far better fit for it 3-4 years ago, and there's so many worse guys than him around these days in those regards.

Quote:
When he wanted to be he was. He's not as bad as Radulov, when he wants to be he's pretty good defensively. The key words being when he wants to be. There's a reason he's been called out by multiple past teammates and respected media personalities.
I don't think there has been an impressive lack of that "want" this year, though, which makes me wonder about those media comments. Usually it seems to be less of the "respected" personalities to make those more blunt comments, and more the guys that are there because blunt is entertaining. Boudreau himself had only good and I bet sincere words for him when he was with those guys during the playoffs, and when he was around, nobody came up with that stuff. I think it's way overblown.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
I agree. Not everyone lashes out on him like Crawford in that idiotic rant that pretty much only proved that had not watched him recently or that he has some tough bias against him. Semin isn't the smartes guy when it comes to making defensive decisions, but he's not any less likely to take a lazy back check than your run of the mill offensive star player. When he really wants, he's actually one of the harder workers. (Still not the most effective.) I am not quite sure why he has become the poster boy for the cliche lazy Russian when he was a far better fit for it 3-4 years ago, and there's so many worse guys than him around these days in those regards.

I don't think there has been an impressive lack of that "want" this year, though, which makes me wonder about those media comments. Usually it seems to be less of the "respected" personalities to make those more blunt comments, and more the guys that are there because blunt is entertaining. Boudreau himself had only good and I bet sincere words for him when he was with those guys during the playoffs, and when he was around, nobody came up with that stuff. I think it's way overblown.
I was referring to McGuire being the respected guy, I couldn't care less about what Crawford thinks of anyone.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:21 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
I was referring to McGuire being the respected guy, I couldn't care less about what Crawford thinks of anyone.
Alright, I understand and agree with that categorisation. Must have missed him chipping in. But when it comes to playing the game a certain way, I don't think he's quite without bias. But he's a guy that I certainly am in no position to question anyone taking his word for it.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:23 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
And most people don't realize this. Couturier wasn't much better, but given his age and linemates, it's a lot more understandable. The thing about Couturier, though, is that his upside is probably pretty close to Jordan Staal. It's HF logic, both these guys, when they fully develop, might be as productive as Ryan, and they do play center, but somehow that makes them so much more valuable. And it's not as if Ryan's even in his prime yet either.

Old
07-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Quote:
His first season in the NHL and had to work through a concussion. He got much, much better as the season went on, nine points in 11 playoff games. He will be productive.

Old
07-26-2012, 08:30 PM
NEWFowler
hi

I think people over-rate Shenn.. He's not a first line talent. Period. Never will be.

Old
07-26-2012, 08:43 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie9 View Post
I think people over-rate Shenn.. He's not a first line talent. Period. Never will be.
That's a pretty bold statement.

Old
07-26-2012, 08:55 PM
Jesus Teemu

1st line talent as in 85-90 points? I'm not sure about that. But the kid has great work ethic and already knows how to succeed in the NHL. I think Mike Richards is a good comparison, but Schenn will be bigger.

Old
07-26-2012, 09:11 PM
SEALBound

Hey guy, Pens fan here. Whats Jason Blake got left in the tank? Anything?

Old
07-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Speed for days...hands of stone...balls of steel.

Old
07-26-2012, 09:19 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
His first season in the NHL and had to work through a concussion. He got much, much better as the season went on, nine points in 11 playoff games. He will be productive.
Yes he will be, but people act like he's gonna be a superstar player, he hasn't done much yet

Old
07-26-2012, 09:23 PM
Unholy

Quote:
Well even at this stage he still shows effort which is the only good thing about him these days. Unfortunately his shots tend to go directly into the goalies chest. He could be good for 10-15 goals if he doesn't retire. Also that's if he stays healthy and plays with anyone decent.

Edit: If you are planning to use him in a fourth line role then forget that 10-15 goals part. He's all about the effort.

07-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Quote:
Yes he will be, but people act like he's gonna be a superstar player, he hasn't done much yet
What are we talking about here then...

Old
07-26-2012, 09:35 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Speed, work ethic and hands of stone. I'd say he could put up 15-25 points in a 4th line role. He could be used in the top 6 if you're hit by a rash of injuries and will generate plenty of chances but few will go in.

Old
07-27-2012, 05:47 AM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Reading Flyers forum is true gold. We have come to a point where Voraček and Ryan are about of equal value. Getzlaf is maybe not a #1C. Oh and, our defense is in complete tatters as well.

Old
07-27-2012, 06:05 AM
Exit Dose

That Chris Shafer guy is a gem.

Old
07-27-2012, 06:17 AM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Quote:
My favourite bit is where Voraček's potential is 60 points, while Ryan's is 70. Never mind though one of those two has yet 50 pts. to reach, and the other has reached 70 before.

Old
07-27-2012, 07:46 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Has been for a while. Always had special opinions on certain things, especially goaltending. It was just shocking to see Leighton fall short.

I'm not overly surprised he tends to stay away from the main boards these days, from all I see.

Old
07-27-2012, 09:54 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

He was the Anaheim prospect writer for a little while. I don't remember which, but there was on prospect he really didn't like. Holland?

Old
07-27-2012, 10:59 AM
Jesus Teemu

Why do they even want him if he's the same or will be possibly a bit worse than Voracek when all is set and done?

Closed Thread