HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's have some fun (the Central Divison thread)

Old
07-21-2012, 08:08 PM
hockeydoug

vCash: 500
Too many holes and moving parts on Detroit, I think they'll have a bumpy ride to the postseason.

CLB can't be worse than last year, but I've said that before.

NASH-is this the year the team shuts down on Trotz when he throws them under the bus? I think they're in trouble with or without Weber at this point.

STL- I don't trust Hitchcock to get them to do what they did last year. The team is still very young without a whole bunch of winning experience in STL or Peoria. I think they take a significant step back.

Chicago wins the division in my opinion, followed by STL and Det. Nashville and CLB out of the playoffs.

There's still quite a long ways to go this offseason. I picked PHX 12th in the West last year and STL a spot out of the postseason, so I'm always confident predicting the future.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:11 AM
ChicagoBlues

Blues fan here in peace.

Glad to know that Hossa is going to be okay. TSN link

He's one of my favorite players.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 04:43 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

too bad that the Wings are still a good team that will make the POs... if they won't make it - this will be fun

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 06:49 AM
Rexy

Too bad this doesn't help us in the post season, where it actually matters.

Rexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:10 AM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
This is being just as obnoxious as the fans you mentioned. Also, STL doesn't trap. Also, the hawks might be a fringe playoff team if no holes are filled and our coaching remains the same.
This. ^^^^

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 03:55 PM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
Too many holes and moving parts on Detroit, I think they'll have a bumpy ride to the postseason.

CLB can't be worse than last year, but I've said that before.

NASH-is this the year the team shuts down on Trotz when he throws them under the bus? I think they're in trouble with or without Weber at this point.

STL- I don't trust Hitchcock to get them to do what they did last year. The team is still very young without a whole bunch of winning experience in STL or Peoria. I think they take a significant step back.

Chicago wins the division in my opinion, followed by STL and Det. Nashville and CLB out of the playoffs

There's still quite a long ways to go this offseason. I picked PHX 12th in the West last year and STL a spot out of the postseason, so I'm always confident predicting the future.
Let me get this straight: you don't trust a coach who took over a struggling, young group of over-achievers to 109 points but you think a team that has regressed for 2 straight years with an idiot for a coach is going to win the division? Where is the logic in that?

While the Hawk roster isn't without holes, the biggest problem lies behind the bench. Chicago was +19 in plus minus as a team, yet was only +10 in goal differential during the regular season. What's really said about this is the Hawks had a +43 in PP-PK minutes, which given the "talent" on our roster should have equated to at LEAST a +10 STs differential. Our set-ups are so bad, the philosophy so bad on our STs that we have the results of a bottom feeder team. It's ridiculous.

Given the severity of team-play erosion, the length with which it has occurred, and the utter lack of corrective measures (coaches changing philosophy, new coaches, personnel moves) why would anyone think this won't continue? Teams don't simply "snap" out of it, something has to change. Where is that change? I think you are going to be very disappointed when you look end-of-year standings. I'll be surprised if we're any higher than 3rd in the division.

Oh, and if you think our coach is in the mood for change just look on the latest coaching move. He replaces an idiot buddy with another idiot buddy. I wouldn't want this guy coaching a pee-wee hockey team.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 04:15 PM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Chicago finished, what? A point out of 4th place last year with bums like Andrew Brunette getting tons of premium ice-time down the stretch. The Hawks will be better next year, even if Kane doesn't bounce back and Toews can't stay healthy, simply by having Brunette's top-6 spot filled by a competent player; Brandon Saad.

Not to mention, Sean O'Donnell won't be with the Hawks again and it's not the like the special teams can get any worse.
The Hawks also finished with the 8th best GD in the conference (+10), while Detroit and St. Louis were all above 40. Even with Detroit's losses we still have a lot of catching up to do.

As bad as SOD is/was, guys like him aren't the problem for our STs. If we play as soft off the puck as a TEAM (meaning everyone on the ice at all times lets the puck move around without applying pressure) it's not going to matter who we have out there as individuals. Watching us versus watching a team like St. Louis really illustrates what good/decent coaching can do for a team. Defensively the players play with cohesion, all being aggressive without losing responsibility of their zone coverages. Our team is a ****ing trainwreck defensively and it starts with the moron behind the bench. He doesn't preach responsibility, aggression, nor does he keep (star) players accountable. What results is a slew of follies unacceptable for a team with this roster. It's ridiculous.

The reality is our coach fails at performing his job which is giving his players the BEST CHANCE TO SUCCEED as possible. If it isn't Brunette or SOD muddling up the ice it will be some other POS player Q falls in love with. He's shown time and time again he will lesser players even when there are better options. In other cases he wastes good players' ice time in roles which they are ill-suited (Leddy getting PK minutes while not being our PP1 QB). How many times do you have to see this before you realize it's NOT GOING TO CHANGE.

I've seen enough the last few years to realize this team is lost on every level. Our GM is lost in committing FA blunders and not taking responsibility for the mess behind the bench. Our coaches are a bunch of idiots who think an adjustment is something Carlos Zambrano does after every pitch when on the mound. Our players, those not named Hossa/Toews, have gotten so sloppy and fundamentally unsound to where it's habitual.

With the roster remaining largely unchanged and Qweefstache still behind the bench I think our only realistic hopes of being any better lie in Crawford and/or our young guys being absolutely amazing. It could happen but I've seen enough these last few years to find this highly unlikely.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 10:12 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
Let me get this straight: you don't trust a coach who took over a struggling, young group of over-achievers to 109 points but you think a team that has regressed for 2 straight years with an idiot for a coach is going to win the division? Where is the logic in that?
You have most of it straight, and I'll try to give my perspective briefly.

I think everybody in the division except Chicago and CLB takes a step backwards as far as everything stands now. CLB can't really go backwards anyway. I don't think Chicago regressed for 2 years, they were better than 2011.

STL has been an established losing culture for most of that roster at the NHL and AHL levels until last year and there is no indication that Stillman will be much different than Checketts (since he was there before too). I think the raised expectations and Hitchcock at the helm won't allow them to play as well next year. They have a bunch of key players going into a contract year, including most of the blueline, so I think there will be some messy streaks and drama in STL this year that will lead to fewer pts in the standings. It's an opinion, not really a bold one since I still expect them to be a playoff team.

I think Chicago wins the division because nobody else will, I'm not exactly praising Q or his buddy hires (I don't like them). I think the talent and experience on the Chicago roster keeps them in front of the division come the end of the season, not as much the coaching.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:10 PM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
You have most of it straight, and I'll try to give my perspective briefly.

I think everybody in the division except Chicago and CLB takes a step backwards as far as everything stands now. CLB can't really go backwards anyway. I don't think Chicago regressed for 2 years, they were better than 2011.

STL has been an established losing culture for most of that roster at the NHL and AHL levels until last year and there is no indication that Stillman will be much different than Checketts (since he was there before too). I think the raised expectations and Hitchcock at the helm won't allow them to play as well next year. They have a bunch of key players going into a contract year, including most of the blueline, so I think there will be some messy streaks and drama in STL this year that will lead to fewer pts in the standings. It's an opinion, not really a bold one since I still expect them to be a playoff team.

I think Chicago wins the division because nobody else will, I'm not exactly praising Q or his buddy hires (I don't like them). I think the talent and experience on the Chicago roster keeps them in front of the division come the end of the season, not as much the coaching.
So St. Louis wins the division last season, we come in 4th.

St Louis makes no changes to their roster, talent stays the exact same, and you're saying we automatically win the division? I'd love it, but don't see it.

Rexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:31 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy View Post
So St. Louis wins the division last season, we come in 4th.

St Louis makes no changes to their roster, talent stays the exact same, and you're saying we automatically win the division? I'd love it, but don't see it.
Yes, that's my guess. I think Chicago will have more points than STL. I think the problems in STL will be mainly at the blueline and related coaching issues there even though I expect them to have a good GAA and a good shot differential.

If or when I'm wrong, I'll gladly admit to it and throw this in my bin of bad guesses about hockey in July.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:52 PM
xX Hot Fuss

Why are people saying STL will struggle? Especially defensively. They have no personnel issues, Hitch isn't all of a sudden going to go senile. They have the best goalie tandem (arguably) in the league.

STL will take the division and run with it.

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:55 AM
clydesdale line

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
Why are people saying STL will struggle? Especially defensively. They have no personnel issues, Hitch isn't all of a sudden going to go senile. They have the best goalie tandem (arguably) in the league.

STL will take the division and run with it.
Agreed, though I won't say "run with it" depending on how some of the Hawks young guys develop (though you can say the same about young studs like Pietrangelo too). But if Tarasenko and Schwartz are half as good as advertised, they'll be very dangerous.

clydesdale line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 07:42 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

just wanted to post that I like that the Wings missed Semin and Weber to Parise & Suter

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote