HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"The Alexander Semin experiment"

Old
07-26-2012, 11:01 PM
HankClerval
Fifth Line Center

vCash: 500
I recommend that someone change the name of this thread to "A thread for every player: Alexander Semin".

HankClerval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:46 AM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankClerval View Post
I recommend that someone change the name of this thread to "A Semin Experiment: How quickly can he get off (to a fast start )".
fixed.

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:52 AM
Roboturner913

Nothing real bad can come from this.

Worst case scenario, he sucks and everybody on the team hates him and nobody will take him at the deadline.

More likely, he puts up a 30-30-60 type of season and makes this team a very real Cup contender for at least one year.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:56 AM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

Honestly, I just can't wait till my new Hurricanes jersey comes in the mail. I can't wait until I can get Semin on my back

Old
07-27-2012, 02:15 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMardigan View Post
S12 / S11 / Semin
Skinner / Jussi / Ruutu
Tlusty / Welsh / LaRose
Nodl / Brent / Dwyer
Stewart

Fixed ***
That top line is dirty !!!!
2nd is solid, no Skinner at center ?

3rd seems average but can score.

4th seems kinda mediocre.. But I don't watch the canes..

Sounds like you'd lack grit for a run ? What does the D look like ?

And since when are you guys big spenders ?

I noticed Boychuck isn't there ?

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:20 AM
Roboturner913

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post

Skinner is strictly a winger at this point...if the Staal-Staal line happens then it's a given that Ruutu or Jokinen centers the second line. Boychuk has been passed up by Welsh/Bowman/Dalpe/Rask/etc. Canes still aren't big spenders, Semin just got them to the cap floor. You are right about one thing though, grit is something that is lacking.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:20 AM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post

D looks somthing like:

Gleason//Pitkänen
McBain//Faulk
Harrison//Corvo
with Gragnani and Sanguinetti as 7 and 8 most likley

and we got a new tv deal and PK was able to finally get some minority owners to pick up some slack as it were.

Old
07-27-2012, 02:40 AM
Korolyuk15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMardigan View Post
S12 / S11 / Semin
Skinner / Jussi / Ruutu
Tlusty / Welsh / LaRose
Nodl / Brent / Dwyer
Stewart

Fixed ***
Just out of curiosity (not a Canes fan) but do you guys see Dadonov fighting for a spot? or has his development stalled?

Korolyuk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:49 AM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korolyuk15 View Post
Just out of curiosity (not a Canes fan) but do you guys see Dadonov fighting for a spot? or has his development stalled?
I believe he signed in the KHL this season.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:12 AM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
I believe he signed in the KHL this season.
He did, tho I believe we retain his rights.

Old
07-27-2012, 03:23 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
The balance between what you read and what you take to heart from the media can be a very interesting subset. Fact: Media members do not like players that cannot or seem unwilling to give them stories. Fact: Media members have been known to pump certain quotes out of players they have strong relationships with in order to sell their line of though. Fact: Alexander Semin has been skittish at best with the media.

Now, where there is smoke there is usually fire. However, to what extent we do not know. I don't like the look of the guy. He comes off as a self-obsessed twit.... but he can play hockey. This signing marks a significant sea change in Carolina's approach to free agents. This is not a player you're going to want to have a beer with or wants to have a beer with you. We've had some damn fine "good guy" teams flounder miserably here when we put "being a team player" ahead of filling the net. We certainly had a team full of guys who could churn out the cliches, but never a team of accountability. We had a lot of guys that talked about accountability, but never suffered to the blade of results against action being taken. Lots of people saying the right things, nobody doing the right things.

This shift in dynamic started with Kirk Mueller. Bringing in an entirely fresh set of eyes to evaluate what we had with crystal clarity and using the remainder of the season to pick out which guys were going to be his guys going forward and which guys needed to move on. Much the same way we did with Peter Laviolette, we gave way as an organization to the philosophy of a coach and have built the team in his image. Jordan Staal for sentimental fan favorite Brandon Sutter. A move made for winning hockey games, not hearts. Alexander Semin, a move made for putting pucks in the net and not for the Kids and Community Foundation. The atmosphere here now has accountability and people know that if they do not perform here, they will be deemed expendable.

Everybody in the locker room loving each other is entirely overrated. Yes, it helps when these team building experiences are used as a way for everybody to feel a certain attachment to their teammates, but as far as off ice chemistry is concerned it wouldn't bother me if some of these guys hated each other. They don't have to be best friends to make magic happen on the ice. The game moves too fast to think too hard about who you're passing to or who you're helping set up for a tap in. It's very instinctive. I will even go as far as to say that ideally, from an on ice standpoint, your linemates should be faceless entities that you trust to do their job which allows you in turn to focus upon doing your own. Make the right decision regardless of who is lined up with you and you'll always be fine.

This team has been far too happy in recent seasons to have missed the playoffs as much as we have, and it's partially due to the country club atmosphere that Mueller is having to systematically remove from the room. New additions shake that up. Controversial players shake that up. You just have to trust that any frustration that is residual from these moves only manifests in greater effort being applied or demanded by leadership and coaching.

These are grown men playing a children's game for millions of dollars. If they can't suck it up if they don't like a guy on their team, then maybe THEY are the ones with the character problem.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:34 AM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

There is a lot of truth in this post ^, but I think having a friendly open environment in the locker room is both a plus and healthy. They can, and probably do view each other as faceless entities on the ice, but afterwards or on the bench there is dialogue. And people who like eachother will always work better together.

I agree there shouldn't be a "Country Club" atmosphere, and this is a profession to be taken very seriously. But at the same time, I would hope that the locker room wasn't so tight up that, for example, Jordan Staal couldn't cream pie Semin in the face with shaving cream during an interview after a 4 goal game or some such.

Old
07-27-2012, 05:34 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Alexander Semin, a move made for putting pucks in the net and not for the Kids and Community Foundation.
Up there with Sheriff Bart's "We need guys with Tangibles". And both of them apply in this case.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:35 AM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
TI would hope that the locker room wasn't so tight up that, for example, Jordan Staal couldn't cream pie Semin in the face with shaving cream during an interview after a 4 goal game or some such.
Uhh...hopefully he won't try that. I've heard that Semin isn't a fan of that kind of locker room horsing around.

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 07:09 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

The terms "locker room cancer" or "problem" get thrown around loosely in hockey circles. There's a set of templates people have in mind for how players should act, and they basically come down to "vocal leader", "lead by example" and "Chad LaRose funny guy". Players who don't fit one of those molds are usually perceived by outsiders as a vague "problem".

But in reality, there's a lot of diversity in every locker room. Some guys are just quiet and introverted, which is a HUGE difference from a prima donna or a ****-stirrer. You want a problem in the locker room, look for a guy like Sean Avery or Jaromir Jagr. Guys who can derail an entire season by sheer force of personality.

I'm sure Semin isn't Mr. Popular, but I don't perceive him as a cancer. He seems like the sort of guy who, if left alone, will just get on with it and play his role as best he knows how. There's no reason to think our team can't perform with someone like that. If they can't, that says something about the other personalities in the room and their ability to mesh with newcomers.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:03 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Whenever someone says "without getting into it" it is usually followed by unsubstantiated opinions that have just as much of a chance of being wrong as right.

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:06 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
It does seem like JR was very careful and talked to a lot of people about whether this could work or not.
Agreed but interestingly he still only felt confident to go with the one-year deal.

All in all though still a good risk to take.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:31 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Since you state that with such authority, what are the sources that validate that? I get that Matt Bradley called him out for not caring enough or not trying hard enough, but what evidence is there that he was a problem in the locker room.

I'm not saying it isn't true, but would like to understand how you know that for sure.
i am not a semin basher. i am realist, however. as a carolina resident and a capitals fan i think i can give you an unbiased report on alex semin.

* it was more than bradley. steckel piled on shortly there after. there were comments from arnott. notice that these are all effort and not skill oriented north american players. so....weigh that how you wish.

* semin doesnt talk to his teammates as a rule. he does speak english but doesnt like to. he will talk to a referee or opponent in a game situation but around his teammates, he doesnt speak unless its russian.

* think of semin as kovalev. both the upside and the downside. the problem with semin as compared to kovalev is that kovy used to either be the good kovy for a full season or the bad kovy. either he lead your team or you wanted him gone. semin is erratic. he can win a playoff series for you, which he has done, and he can lose the next one for you. this is essentially his capitals history. his crappy effort can put your team in the jackpot to get in the playoffs. then his hot streak will get you in.
then he will score 5 goals and win you a 7 game series and follow that with zero goals when you lose a 7 game series of 4 one goal games where a goal or two from him moves your team forward.

* he is a lightning rod for canadian media hate. as much as your team is now a love center with two staal's you now have the reason the canadian media will point to for every failure your team will have from here out. these questions and phone calls coming into your locker room to the canadian players asking if semin is the problem stirs the pot, right or wrong, and there is just nothing you can do about it if it breaks down your locker room.

* lastly, here is the bottom line. alex semin is a streaky player. this means there will be dry periods in his production. he won't answer questions about it to the media and if he makes a bad play or takes a killer penalty, he wont be talking about it with the media after the game. it will be on the coach and on eric to speak for him. then the pressure will start out of toronto and tsn and the hotstove on hnic because this russian guy is dragging down the pride of canada.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:37 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
The terms "locker room cancer" or "problem" get thrown around loosely in hockey circles. There's a set of templates people have in mind for how players should act, and they basically come down to "vocal leader", "lead by example" and "Chad LaRose funny guy". Players who don't fit one of those molds are usually perceived by outsiders as a vague "problem".

But in reality, there's a lot of diversity in every locker room. Some guys are just quiet and introverted, which is a HUGE difference from a prima donna or a ****-stirrer. You want a problem in the locker room, look for a guy like Sean Avery or Jaromir Jagr. Guys who can derail an entire season by sheer force of personality.

I'm sure Semin isn't Mr. Popular, but I don't perceive him as a cancer. He seems like the sort of guy who, if left alone, will just get on with it and play his role as best he knows how. There's no reason to think our team can't perform with someone like that. If they can't, that says something about the other personalities in the room and their ability to mesh with newcomers.
i would not use the word cancer. its too easy and not entirely accurate. he is a catalyst to both good and bad. on the cancer issue, he is a catalyst to the growth of bad feelings and bad momentum. bad feelings and mo that are fanned by the outside and then grow a rep and life of their own.

Old
07-27-2012, 09:49 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Fair points, and probably why he only got a 1 year deal. A lot of what you wrote are things that Philly and Edm fans relayed about Pitkanen also. Not saying Semin will work because Pitkanen did, but there is at least some precedent for a guy like that to find a home in Carolina. And if it doesn't work out, no biggy as it's a 1 year deal.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 10:17 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Fair points, and probably why he only got a 1 year deal. A lot of what you wrote are things that Philly and Edm fans relayed about Pitkanen also. Not saying Semin will work because Pitkanen did, but there is at least some precedent for a guy like that to find a home in Carolina. And if it doesn't work out, no biggy as it's a 1 year deal.
the main difference between pitkanen and semin is that philly and to a lesser extent edmonton eat hockey players and hockey personel. its their nature. stub your toe in philadelphia and dont handle it well and you are doomed. right now and i am looking at shea weber and his easy life in nashville and think its 50/50 that the flyer's fan base and media will now destroy his career. nash in new york as well.

in washington semin had none of that media and fan issue to deal with. he was not boo'd and he was rarely ripped in the media. it was a constant drumbeat out of canada however. recall the waterboarding that he got at the hands of the tsn panel on ufa day? they destroyed semin.

these canadian media types have constant access to your top canadian players thru text and cellphone. they will call or text and ask if semin is really a loser. their question will all come from a negative pov and if/when the canes struggle and semin is in a cold spell, the snooze and observer may not be pounding semin, but pierre mcguire and mike milbury and ron maclean and don cherry will be lighting him up.

as a canes fan you generally will not hear, see or read much if any of canada's attacks on semin, but the players know all about them because the canadian media is at them all the time about it.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Clark Gillies
HFBoards Sponsor

Semin instantly gives the Canes the firepower so desperately needed. I absolutely love this move. Biggest plus is we can finally remove Chad Larose from ever playing in the top 6.

I do not foresee the Staals playing together as many seem to.
I know Welsh has kind of been penciled in at 3rd center even though he is still unsigned and with all of the other young talent that never sticks I will believe it when I see it
The key is the Canes now have a lot of flexibilty and some depth in the system for the third/fourth lines in Dalpe, Bowman, Boychuk and Samson.

I think the lines will look more like:

Semin, E Staal , Tlusty
Skinner, J Staal, Ruutu
Larose, Jokinen, Dwyer
Nodl, Brent, Stewart

or
Semin, E Staal, Jokinen
Skinner, J Staal, Ruutu
Larose, Welsh, Tlusty
Stewart, Brent, Dwyer

Last edited by Clark Gillies: 07-27-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Clark Gillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:44 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Gillies View Post
Semin instantly gives the Canes the firepower so desperately needed. I absolutely love this move. Biggest plus is we can finally remove Chad Larose from ever playing in the top 6.

I do not foresee the Staals playing together as many seem to.
I know Welsh has kind of been penciled in at 3rd center even though he is still unsigned and with all of the other young talent that never sticks I will believe it when I see it
The key is the Canes now have a lot of flexibilty and some depth in the system for the third/fourth lines in Dalpe, Bowman, Boychuk and Samson.

I think the lines will look more like:

Semin, E Staal , Tlusty
Skinner, J Staal, Ruutu
Larose, Jokinen, Dwyer
Nodl, Brent, Stewart

or
Semin, E Staal, Jokinen
Skinner, J Staal, Ruutu
Larose, Welsh, Tlusty
Stewart, Brent, Dwyer
With Semin slated to play with Eric Staal on L1, I actually think you'll see Ruutu as the physical, forechecking winger that Muller's system really needs. Or you could put Jordan Staal on the wing but I think Semin's arrival means EStaal remains the 1C.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:21 PM
txpd

now what will be interesting is the way tripp tracy changes his world view of alex semin. in almost every canes cast of a caro v caps game tripp rips semin to pieces for his lack of heart and effort and hockey savvy....now???

cant wait

Old
07-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Tracy will hate Semin even more, because going after Semin prevented us from signing Kyle Wellwood.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote