HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Summer Moves $e7en: Ding, Dong, the Doan is Signed! Oh Happy Day!

Old
07-27-2012, 12:42 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
Indeed. If that means one more year of no playoffs, it's the bitter pill that will cure the disease.
I've been watching the Flames flail around like this for the past 5 years or so, so I don't want the Sabres to fall into that trap. Better to bear through it.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:52 AM
tsujimoto74

If we got a stopgap that was actually a stopgap at center, that would be awesome. I mean like a legit completely average and unremarkable 3C that even Ruff wouldn't try to put in a top 6 role once Ennis or Hodgson goes 2 games without scoring a goal. A guy that's serviceable but actually nothing more than a placeholder (ie: not Marleau, not Pavelski, not even Hanzal).

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:56 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Or you could try and get a veteran stop gap centre (e.g. Sundin playing for the Canucks) to mentor Ennis and Coho. I know the Sedins and Kesler really benefited from learning from Sundin; perhaps there will be a similar effect for the Sabres two younger centremen too. You just have to be able to find this veteran.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:11 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
You're forgetting the most important difference IMO.

Marleau can play center. And he can play against top competition. You get Marleau, and it becomes infinitely easier to get Ennis those matchups to feast on. Marleau, Hodgson, Ennis as the three centers...one would think you'd be a fan of that idea.

Sure, it's a lateral move in terms of talent...but it really solidifies our center position. Looking long term, you can move him to wing if one of the G-men steps up, or you don't sign him when his contract is up (same time as Vanek's would have ended anyways).

Is Marleau the most desired player? No. Of course I'd want Pavelski more. But it might be easier to get a guy like Marleau.
Good logic, GG! If the difference between getting Marleau or getting Pavelski is not having to give up Ennis, Hodgson, McNabb, Foligno, Armia or Pysyk, Regier will very likely consider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
If we got a stopgap that was actually a stopgap at center, that would be awesome. I mean like a legit completely average and unremarkable 3C that even Ruff wouldn't try to put in a top 6 role once Ennis or Hodgson goes 2 games without scoring a goal. A guy that's serviceable but actually nothing more than a placeholder (ie: not Marleau, not Pavelski, not even Hanzal).
The trouble is that even 4th line journeymen like Ellis or McCormick can get loads of ice time in crucial moments when Ruff thinks they're working harder than his top 6.

But if "average", "unremarkable" and "serviceability" will suffice in the short-term and insurance behind Ennis/Hodgson is all that's required while Grigorenko/Girgensons mature, then why not Hecht? I'd bet he'd accept a 1-year deal and major pay cut just to keep his family in Buffalo and extend his NHL career another year.

Granted, Ruff's fondness of him and Hecht's past time in the top 6 wouldn't dispel the notion of it happening again - but, like I said, Ruff's never been shy about sticking lesser players in more prominent roles.

Last edited by Sabretip: 07-27-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:17 AM
McTank

There is only one man to fill this 3C role in buffalo. Terry Pegula is gonna pay to have chris drurys knee replaced by a robot knee and he will return to lead us to victory

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:16 AM
Der Jaeger

I'd trade Vanek for Marleau. Not a Marleau fan, nor a Vanek hater. But it makes sense IF the development of the 2014 team is the goal. Marleau can play center, allowing Ennis and Hodgson to continue to develop under less pressure. If Girgensons and Grigorenko are ready early, he can move to wing. And his contract is up the same time Vanek's is up.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:29 AM
Digable5

Anyone concerned that Marleau was good but not great until 2005-2006 when the Sharks acquired Joe Thornton?

And Vanek has rarely had the center we all want to make the most of his skills.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 07:11 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
Anyone concerned that Marleau was good but not great until 2005-2006 when the Sharks acquired Joe Thornton?

And Vanek has rarely had the center we all want to make the most of his skills.
He has started shooting a lot more.

And I have said this before, I dont think Vanek needs a center as much as he needs a great point shot. Vanek may be the best in front of the net in the NHL, he needs players that will get shots on net and give him a chance to do work.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 07:51 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post

And I have said this before, I dont think Vanek needs a center as much as he needs a great point shot. Vanek may be the best in front of the net in the NHL, he needs players that will get shots on net and give him a chance to do work.
So....Vanek-Hodgson-whatever
Ehrhoff-Sulzer

Old
07-27-2012, 07:56 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
The trouble is that even 4th line journeymen like Ellis or McCormick can get loads of ice time in crucial moments when Ruff thinks they're working harder than his top 6.

But if "average", "unremarkable" and "serviceability" will suffice in the short-term and insurance behind Ennis/Hodgson is all that's required while Grigorenko/Girgensons mature, then why not Hecht? I'd bet he'd accept a 1-year deal and major pay cut just to keep his family in Buffalo and extend his NHL career another year.

Granted, Ruff's fondness of him and Hecht's past time in the top 6 wouldn't dispel the notion of it happening again - but, like I said, Ruff's never been shy about sticking lesser players in more prominent roles.
I'd have no issue with signing Hecht in that capacity if he proves to be healthy -- maybe the Sabres invite him to training camp before offering a contract to see were he's at physically?
The thing that gets me about swapping Vanek for Marleau is that, imo, it's just as important to Hodgson's development that he have a quality scoring winger to play with as it is that we have enough depth at center that there isn't too much pressure on him. I'd have to assume Marleau would be used in a two-way capacity, which would likely mean he'd get more time with Pommer than Hodgson would, which would leave Hodgson's linemate options as Adam, Tropp, Ott, Leino...2 other youngsters, a guy who's underperformed, and a guy that just isn't that much of a goal-scorer.

Old
07-27-2012, 08:21 AM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
I'd trade Vanek for Marleau. Not a Marleau fan, nor a Vanek hater. But it makes sense IF the development of the 2014 team is the goal. Marleau can play center, allowing Ennis and Hodgson to continue to develop under less pressure. If Girgensons and Grigorenko are ready early, he can move to wing. And his contract is up the same time Vanek's is up.
I've been on the Marleau bandwagon for a while. He's got a ton of playoff experience, and could immediately slot in as our top line center. I think something around Vanek for Marleau could work, but I'd want San Jose to kick something else into the deal. I suggested a Marleau for Vanek trade a couple months back and got quite a few negative responses to it.

is the answer jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 08:24 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Nothing's actually going to happen. Maybe it's time we Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Rebuild.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 08:25 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Or you could try and get a veteran stop gap centre (e.g. Sundin playing for the Canucks) to mentor Ennis and Coho. I know the Sedins and Kesler really benefited from learning from Sundin; perhaps there will be a similar effect for the Sabres two younger centremen too. You just have to be able to find this veteran.
Right now, they do have a need for a center who can handle d-zone starts and win key faceoffs, someone who can shut someone down if need be. If that guy could put up some points, great. If not, then using him akin to Malhotra is more the thing (and if Manny gets squeezed out in Vancouver, I'd love him for the same sort of high d-zone start/faceoff winning/checking presence here in Buffalo). The selection of candidates is pretty slim -- maybe Dom Moore, but Moore's wife's illness and treatment is probably far more important to him than finding yet another home in his wayward hockey career.

As for Hodgson, he got a lot more robust minutes with Ruff, including PKing time, d-zone starts and the like than he did in Vancouver. His offensive numbers initially took a hit, but it looks like he's going to get some quality minutes and likely with Vanek on his wing to start. He looked pretty solid in a 2-way role, even for a rook, and it looks like the plan is to continue that this year.

07-27-2012, 08:30 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

I think Vanek needs to stay/get healthy for a full season. Last year, the ankle and wrist, the year before hand and shoulder, the year before knee with various other dents prior. Get healthy.

Having someone like Tropp (or Ott) on the far wing to be the retriever might help. Having the puck on his stick in space might help too.

That said, he could use a dose of urgency to what he's doing, without the eye rolls and grimaces.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 08:38 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
I think what we are going to end up seeing is Leino-Ott splitting center duties for the 3rd line. Ott taking faceoffs, Leino taking defensive responsibilities. I'd love to get another Center, but the pickings are rather slim.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 08:47 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirgsAndGrigs View Post
I think what we are going to end up seeing is Leino-Ott splitting center duties for the 3rd line. Ott taking faceoffs, Leino taking defensive responsibilities. I'd love to get another Center, but the pickings are rather slim.
And the question thereafter becomes do you spread your offensive talent across the three lines and play Tropp with Leino-Ott? Or do you return to the setup you finished last season with and play Pominville with Leino-Ott?

I prefer the latter. I'm sure we'll see variations of both.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 08:50 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I think Vanek needs to stay/get healthy for a full season. Last year, the ankle and wrist, the year before hand and shoulder, the year before knee with various other dents prior. Get healthy.

Having someone like Tropp (or Ott) on the far wing to be the retriever might help. Having the puck on his stick in space might help too.

That said, he could use a dose of urgency to what he's doing, without the eye rolls and grimaces.
If they cant get Doan or Ryan, I like Vanek - Hodgson - Tropp.

Vanek - Hodgson - Doan/Ryan really would be great though.

Old
07-27-2012, 08:55 AM
Sabresfansince1980

What about Nashville as a trade partner now? They have come out stating a desire to get a top four d-man, with only five d-men under contract. They have several quality centers on their roster.

Legwand - (78 gms, 19g-34a-53 pts) two years left at a 4.5 mil cap hit
Fisher - (72 gms, 24-27-51) one year, 4.2
Gaustad - (70 gms, 7-14-21) four years, 3.25
Colin Wilson - (68 gms, 15-20-35) three years, 2.0, will still be RFA
Craig Smith - (72 gms, 14-22-36) one year, .715, will still be RFA

I think from both teams' perspectives, Legwand would be the player to trade. I'd like to think Leopold, Pardy (for depth and reaching the cap floor), and a draft pick would be enough, but Sekera might be the player Nashville would insist on. Any thoughts?

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:04 AM
BWidz8930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
What about Nashville as a trade partner now? They have come out stating a desire to get a top four d-man, with only five d-men under contract. They have several quality centers on their roster.

I think from both teams' perspectives, Legwand would be the player to trade. I'd like to think Leopold, Pardy (for depth and reaching the cap floor), and a draft pick would be enough, but Sekera might be the player Nashville would insist on. Any thoughts?
Really not in favor of giving up Sekera at this point. As good as it makes our top 9 look, it forces Leo or Regehr into a top-4 role and that could really bite us, especially if Sulzer ends up struggling.

Legwand would fit nicley but I think their asking price would be too high. Either Sekera like you said, or McNabb/Pysyk and the pick gets higher. Wilson is who I really want but that would cost even more and I'm not nearly sold enough on him to think about giving away Armia.

BWidz8930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:05 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:

Wilson plays wing for them at the moment.

Old
07-27-2012, 09:23 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

The CoHo puck bunnies are so insecure that their Precious will crumble under the pressure of being "rushed" that they are willing to nudor the teams best position in order to have a scapegoat for poor CoHo.

Charming.

How about we stop making trades to adjust organizational depth and start making hockey trades. Marleau is not a step forward, it's opening a huge hole while filling another.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:28 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
The CoHo puck bunnies are so insecure that their Precious will crumble under the pressure of being "rushed" that they are willing to nudor the teams best position in order to have a scapegoat for poor CoHo.

Charming.

How about we stop making trades to adjust organizational depth and start making hockey trades. Marleau is not a step forward, it's opening a huge hole while filling another.
You really need to stop.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:46 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

Colin Wilson is a winger... I don't think they want to deal their depth at center... they are set up nicely for a team without a true #1

Legwand - Primary scoring line
Fisher - Checking line
Smith - Secondary scoring line
Goose -Energy/Defensive Line

if things go the way they hope, you flip Legwand and Smith

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:48 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
If they cant get Doan or Ryan, I like Vanek - Hodgson - Tropp.

Vanek - Hodgson - Doan/Ryan really would be great though.
Ott-Hodgson-Ryan

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 10:10 AM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Colin Wilson is a winger... I don't think they want to deal their depth at center... they are set up nicely for a team without a true #1

Legwand - Primary scoring line
Fisher - Checking line
Smith - Secondary scoring line
Goose -Energy/Defensive Line

if things go the way they hope, you flip Legwand and Smith
I thought Wilson was a natural center and drafted to play center, or could at least slide over if Nashville was willing to deal Legwand. Regardless, if their current set-up can't spare a center it's a no-go. I'm hoping their need for d-men could work in our favor...wishful thinking.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote