HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hang man is coming

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2012, 10:13 AM
AV18

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AV18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Killa View Post
Just refer to them as "gorgeous". The girl will think its a huge compliment/pet name and you don't have to actually remember her name.

For the women on this board (AV18 only maybe?), "hot stuff" works well too.
Both are equally acceptable.

Old
07-27-2012, 10:14 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
It's BGM's b-day tomorrow. Everyone call him old

Old
07-27-2012, 10:16 AM
Crazy Tasty

I've been at work for almost 3 hours, but I'm pretty sure I'm still asleep.

Old
07-27-2012, 10:26 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Tasty View Post
I've been at work for almost 3 hours, but I'm pretty sure I'm still asleep.
I'm doing the job of three people right now. Two more are on vacation, so I'm doing the job of five. How on Earth am I supposed to get a ****ing thing done for the first three, I do not know. ****.

07-27-2012, 10:28 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I'm doing the job of three people right now. Two more are on vacation, so I'm doing the job of five. How on Earth am I supposed to get a ****ing thing done for the first three, I do not know. ****.
Well, I guess somebody has it worse than me today.

Here's hoping you get out before midnight.

Old
07-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Well, I guess somebody has it worse than me today.

Here's hoping you get out before midnight.
I've been doing the 9-midnight shift all week as well as regular office hours. I'm getting questions about testing things -- I don't have a test account, let alone test boxes. I told people flat out that when certain cuts happen, I don't have the wherewithal to do what they do, I don't have the training, the boxes or the experience. I can explain how an airplane flies, that does not mean I can build one. Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

And now I have to do the work of the contractors we brought in because they're taking vacation. W.T.H.

Old
07-27-2012, 10:34 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

I feel your pain main.

Last year at this time, it was already 2.5 of us doing the job of 4, but it had always been like that, so we were used to it and managed.

Now, it's basically just me. My boss chips in from time to time, but he's so busy running the other department he manages that he even sends little things my way that he's perfectly capable of doing.

The only way I get by is be actually using my vacation time now, something I haven't done in the past.

Old
07-27-2012, 10:42 AM
Clock

I just got my new work laptop. Got to spec it out myself. It's beautiful and I love it.

Old
07-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
I feel your pain main.

Last year at this time, it was already 2.5 of us doing the job of 4, but it had always been like that, so we were used to it and managed.

Now, it's basically just me. My boss chips in from time to time, but he's so busy running the other department he manages that he even sends little things my way that he's perfectly capable of doing.

The only way I get by is be actually using my vacation time now, something I haven't done in the past.
They want me to coordinate support (aka. lead) the offshore team, do my old job, support the one other guy on my team who is out on manditory vacation, do the job of our old team lead who is transitioning to another position, as well as now 2 contractors and another member of another team who they cut (Whammer, much missed). I am just laughing.

Oh, and manditory training is due today and my mid-year review. Wooooo. Yeah.

Old
07-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Penalty Killa
glitter skates

I had to give twenty four mid year reviews this month.

SHOOTMEINTHEHEAD.

Old
07-27-2012, 10:56 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirgsAndGrigs View Post
It's BGM's b-day tomorrow. Everyone call him old
<--- not going to be 30 yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
I just got my new work laptop. Got to spec it out myself. It's beautiful and I love it.
That's pretty cool. Share the specs?

Quote:
They want me to coordinate support (aka. lead) the offshore team, do my old job, support the one other guy on my team who is out on manditory vacation, do the job of our old team lead who is transitioning to another position, as well as now 2 contractors and another member of another team who they cut (Whammer, much missed). I am just laughing.

Wow. That's a whole bunch of crap. Good luck Chain. Have you been sending your resume out?

Quote:
I had to give twenty four mid year reviews this month.

SHOOTMEINTHEHEAD.
Give? Meh. As long as nobody sucks, it should be fine.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:00 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:

Yikes.

I just make sure I do a good job tracking all the tasks I have on my plate. When I get the inevitable ZOMG I NEED THIS NOW request, I document that, and note what got bumped to make that happen.

That way, when someone screams about something not getting done, I just present them the menu of options, and ask what they'd like me to not do.

It usually goes over about as well as you could imagine. :p

Old
07-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
Wow. That's a whole bunch of crap. Good luck Chain. Have you been sending your resume out?
It's still in the polishing stage. It'll be going out this weekend to a few people who've said "hey, send me your resume" (OG, I'm looking at you ). And by polishing, I mean it's a ****ing shambles at the moment and I'll be working on it more tomorrow and Sunday. I have a rocking template (thanks Whammer).

Old
07-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Yikes.

I just make sure I do a good job tracking all the tasks I have on my plate. When I get the inevitable ZOMG I NEED THIS NOW request, I document that, and note what got bumped to make that happen.

That way, when someone screams about something not getting done, I just present them the menu of options, and ask what they'd like me to not do.

It usually goes over about as well as you could imagine. :p
I tend to do that too -- usually as the response to the "ZOMG I NEED THIS NOW" where I detail out the number of people who are waiting on "ZOMG I NEED THIS NOW"'s as well as all the other people they will displace. Had words with a former employee who's now a contractor the other day because of his snappy IM response to something -- basically told him if he didn't like how long it took to get something, he could come down to my team and do the work his own damn self, he'd cut over 100 people for me to do the work in the first place.

There is "oh, everyone's busy" and then there is this. I'm "chairing" a call for a designer call right now (basically taking notes) for the first time ever, so this is something new (and perhaps a bone from my boss in an effort to keep me from fleeing). They're talking about the past action items. Type a little, write a little, type a little, write a little, type type type, write a little, write a little more.

Old
Penalty Killa
glitter skates

Quote:

Give? Meh. As long as nobody sucks, it should be fine.
Some do suck.

I have someone in my office crying at least once a week.

Women is crazies.

Old
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Quote:
Started re-watching The West Wing. I had forgotten just how good a show that was.
I love that show. Wish Netflix had it instantly.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:18 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

I saw Jenn Suhr at Wegmans on Wednesday.

I though to myself "Shouldn't you be in London?"

Old
07-27-2012, 11:20 AM
Clock

Quote:
That's pretty cool. Share the specs?
Nothing too insane, but it's a Dell Latitude 6520, i7, 8 gigs of RAM, 15" LED 1080p monitor (which i had to have, coming from a 1280*720 screen), and a 750 gig 7200rpm HDD. And a 9 cell battery. Backlit keyboard, full numberpad, blah blah blah.

It's been wonderful for VMing, and the battery life is so much better than what I had before. I am a fan.

Wonderful timing for Microsoft to release the Office 2013 preview, too. It's pretty nice!

Old
07-27-2012, 11:30 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
I tend to do that too -- usually as the response to the "ZOMG I NEED THIS NOW" where I detail out the number of people who are waiting on "ZOMG I NEED THIS NOW"'s as well as all the other people they will displace. Had words with a former employee who's now a contractor the other day because of his snappy IM response to something -- basically told him if he didn't like how long it took to get something, he could come down to my team and do the work his own damn self, he'd cut over 100 people for me to do the work in the first place.

There is "oh, everyone's busy" and then there is this. I'm "chairing" a call for a designer call right now (basically taking notes) for the first time ever, so this is something new (and perhaps a bone from my boss in an effort to keep me from fleeing). They're talking about the past action items. Type a little, write a little, type a little, write a little, type type type, write a little, write a little more.
Basically every request I get is ZOMG I NEED THIS NOW. It's why most people who ask things of me thing I'm a huge Richard.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:32 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Some do suck.

I have someone in my office crying at least once a week.

Women is crazies.
Truth.

I was talking to a woman last week out a bar, and things were going well. She had agreed to go out for dinner until she saw a pic of my cat on my phone, then started acting like I just grabbed her behind. (I did not.) Broad was NUTS.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:35 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McDermott View Post
Speaking of Netflix.. I'm very unimpressed with it. I signed up through my PS3 for a free month of movies. I figured my wife and I would show some 80's movies we grew up with, to our 13 year old. Have family movie night during the summer while he's not in school and can stay up a little later (something he of course loves). I searched for Summer School, One Crazy Summer, and a host of others. To my dismay, I could not either find or stream almost all of them.

So first impression ... Netflix sucks ..

Old
07-27-2012, 11:40 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McDermott View Post
If you have Amazon Prime, it's on instant.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:42 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Nothing too insane, but it's a Dell Latitude 6520, i7, 8 gigs of RAM, 15" LED 1080p monitor (which i had to have, coming from a 1280*720 screen), and a 750 gig 7200rpm HDD. And a 9 cell battery. Backlit keyboard, full numberpad, blah blah blah.

It's been wonderful for VMing, and the battery life is so much better than what I had before. I am a fan.

Wonderful timing for Microsoft to release the Office 2013 preview, too. It's pretty nice!
I just got a new desktop (I barely ever have meetings and have VPN setup at home) here at work. So much nicer than having an under-speced laptop.

i5, 4 gigs of RAM, 250gig 7200rpm HDD. Nothing fancy at all, but more than I need (I could ask for 8 gigs if I wanted/needed). Most importantly.. WINDOWS GOD DAMN 7. No more ****** XP.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Basically every request I get is ZOMG I NEED THIS NOW. It's why most people who ask things of me thing I'm a huge Richard.
I agree. Everything is a big, hair-on-fire deal. This isn't a fastfood drive-thru, they need to get in line -- even if the line is for the rest of the hair-on-fire people.

I will tell people "I may be able to look at this in X number of hours" or "I can look at that tomorrow morning" etc... I love the emails to my manager and my manager's manager right out of the gate. I'm pretty up front with them. They sometimes understand that even with intellectual work, there is a finite amount of things that can get done.

I'm still on this call and I'm completely lost. It's awesome!

Old
07-27-2012, 12:12 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

So, a few days ago I signed up for Google+ on my phone because it kept popping up. Apparently when I signed up for it, it automatically uploaded EVERY SINGLE ONE of my pictures on my phone to my Google+ profile (that thankfully I've never seen nor directed anybody too) and just informed me that they all had, in fact, uploaded just fine.

This is bad, real bad.

Closed Thread