HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top 10 NHL 2012 Draft Team Performances; Pens fare well (THW)

Old
07-26-2012, 09:33 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Top 10 NHL 2012 Draft Team Performances; Pens fare well (THW)

Top 10 NHL 2012 Draft Team Performances (The Hockey Writers)

It's a month out from the 2012 draft in Pittsburgh and think we've maybe recovered (at least somewhat) from NDWS (NHL Draft Withdrawal Syndrome) to review some of the perceived top team draft performances by respective scouting staffs.

Top 10 NHL 2012 Draft Team Performances:
http://thehockeywriters.com/top-10-n...-performances/

Penguins fair well in the rankings.

Flame away (with rationale)...

Check back in 3 to 5 years or more to re-evaluate.

chrisralph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
thanks. glad you liked the Blueger pick. he really turned some heads at prospect camp with his skill.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:13 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Thanks for the write up!

Don't know about Calgary's spot there. Are you basing your rankings of the overall quality of one team's class to the overall quality of another, or whether or not those picks fill each team's gaps or what? Everything I read indicated Calgary's first pick was pretty nutso, given who else was on the board. My understanding was they had one of the weaker drafts?

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:29 AM
khaoskennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Thanks for the write up!

Don't know about Calgary's spot there. Are you basing your rankings of the overall quality of one team's class to the overall quality of another, or whether or not those picks fill each team's gaps or what? Everything I read indicated Calgary's first pick was pretty nutso, given who else was on the board. My understanding was they had one of the weaker drafts?
i was wondering this as well, but i don't know most of the guys they drafted

khaoskennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:57 AM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisralph007 View Post
Top 10 NHL 2012 Draft Team Performances (The Hockey Writers)

It's a month out from the 2012 draft in Pittsburgh and think we've maybe recovered (at least somewhat) from NDWS (NHL Draft Withdrawal Syndrome) to review some of the perceived top team draft performances by respective scouting staffs.

Top 10 NHL 2012 Draft Team Performances:
http://thehockeywriters.com/top-10-n...-performances/

Penguins fair well in the rankings.

Flame away (with rationale)...

Check back in 3 to 5 years or more to re-evaluate.
A grammar snob, I'll flame for you using "fair" instead of "fare."

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 07:12 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
thanks. glad you liked the Blueger pick. he really turned some heads at prospect camp with his skill.
The potential is there, from what i've been reading on him I can't get nothing but excited, now let's just hope he continues to develop nicely and one day make an impact for this team

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Zbynek

Calgary?

uhhh

Zbynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:50 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbynek View Post
Calgary?

uhhh
Jankowski wouldn't have made it out of the 1st round. Give Calgary credit for getting a guy they scouted extensively AND trading down and picking up a 2nd round pick in the process. That's a textbook move in maximizing the value of your pick.

UnrealMachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 10:02 AM
WVP

XM played a clip of McGuire yesterday, not sure if anyone else heard it. I think it was recorded from earlier in the month.

Pierre said that Pittsburgh "dominated" the first round of this draft, getting Maata, Pouliot plus Sutter and Dumoulin when they had to move Staal. That our scouts know Pouliot and Maata better than anyone since they played with Morrow and Harrington. Also, that Minnesota and the Rangers were pushing the hardest (outside of Carolina) for Staal.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 10:03 AM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbynek View Post
Calgary?

uhhh
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
Jankowski wouldn't have made it out of the 1st round. Give Calgary credit for getting a guy they scouted extensively AND trading down and picking up a 2nd round pick in the process. That's a textbook move in maximizing the value of your pick.
This was their weak justification for Calgary: "Nevertheless, each of the seven shiny new Flames prospects from this draft could conceivably play in the big league."

I think, "conceivably", you can say that about every dude drafted that weekend.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:25 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
Well said, UnrealMachine.

Add to that, the Flames got their guy in the 2nd rnd as well. Take it for what it was worth but Flames brass said in multiple post-draft in depth interviews that had Janko been taken before them, their scouts were so huge on Sieloff, that they would have selected him then.

chrisralph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 12:20 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

The Hockey News gave the Penguins an A+ grade for their draft. Said they got max value for Staal, got two very good defensemen in the first, and got steals in Blueger, Marcantuoni, and Zlobin.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 12:47 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
XM played a clip of McGuire yesterday, not sure if anyone else heard it. I think it was recorded from earlier in the month.

Pierre said that Pittsburgh "dominated" the first round of this draft, getting Maata, Pouliot plus Sutter and Dumoulin when they had to move Staal. That our scouts know Pouliot and Maata better than anyone since they played with Morrow and Harrington. Also, that Minnesota and the Rangers were pushing the hardest (outside of Carolina) for Staal.
Haha. Where's that Canes poster saying the Rangers going after Jordan is nonsense.

Im digging that Minnesota was in on Staal. Hopefully Shero stays in trade talks with them.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 05:18 AM

Marcantuoni is only 6'? He looked a lot taller on the ice during that rookie game. I guess that upright skating style tricks the eye.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 11:24 AM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Haha. Where's that Canes poster saying the Rangers going after Jordan is nonsense.

Im digging that Minnesota was in on Staal. Hopefully Shero stays in trade talks with them.
More on that.

Sounded like Carolina was the destination all along, and that Shero was establishing the market value for Jordan by talking to the other interested teams.

And that Rutherford was extremely classy during the process, matching the market value and agreeing to trade now when he certainly could have waited the year and signed Jordan next July 1st. McGuire was really praising Shero and Rutherford about the whole deal.

Old
07-30-2012, 08:12 PM
Malke

I think Zlobin was a really good catch with that late pick.

I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't pick Forsberg with that 8th pick, mostly because he's from Sweden like me, and there hasn't been a lot of swedes in Pens organization lately...

But they probably know more than me about it

Malke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:52 PM
theicebox
#MonixWatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malke View Post

I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't pick Forsberg with that 8th pick, mostly because he's from Sweden like me, and there hasn't been a lot of swedes in Pens organization lately...

I agree with the above points, but I really wanted to comment on the epic status of your avatar, quite the combo.

theicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 06:24 PM
redsono93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malke View Post

I am really disappointed we didn't take Forsberg. We don't have any high draft forwards in our system since Sid and Malkin. We have a lot of defenseive prospects. I thought Ray said they always go with the best players available in the draft. Forsberg was ranked in the top 5. I really hope this doesn't come back to bite us for not taking Forsberg.

redsono93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 01:45 AM
clefty
What?

Ranked by whom? Not the Penguins, obviously.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 04:23 AM
stayinalive

vCash: 1078
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Ranked by whom? Not the Penguins, obviously.
well nearly every scout or website had him in the top 5
I personally would have liked if we would take Forsberg with 8th and try to uptrade and take Poulliot with 14th or so, guess that would have worked well..

stayinalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 05:18 AM
clefty
What?

Which scouts? Obviously none of the teams who picked in the top-5 or top-10 had him atop their draft boards.

Websites? Heh.

Barely a single person here has seen him play a single shift, or Pouliot for that matter. Never understand why people insist on speaking as though they have.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 06:32 AM
Malke

Quote:
Originally Posted by theicebox View Post
I agree with the above points, but I really wanted to comment on the epic status of your avatar, quite the combo.
Thank you!

Malke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 07:10 AM
Mr. T

Quote:
Which scouts? Obviously none of the teams who picked in the top-5 or top-10 had him atop their draft boards.

Websites? Heh.

Barely a single person here has seen him play a single shift, or Pouliot for that matter. Never understand why people insist on speaking as though they have.
The raging and whining is pretty comical, though.

Mr. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 12:44 PM
redsono93

Quote:

Websites? Heh.

Look all I am saying is to obtain a winger like Ryan in a trade for example you have to keep your prospects balanced. Anaheim would want a young stud winger like a Forsberg and we don't have one to trade. No doubt we have the best defensive prospect pool in the league. I am proud we drafted a few forwards and goalies in this draft. So we are heading in the right direction. I am all about a balanced prospect pool that's all. Also not whining I agree with Ray go with the best player available Matta was a great pick at 22 for example I will say WBS is gonna be a hell of a team next year. Build from within I like what Ray did with the Baby Pen's this offseason.

redsono93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Black Label

Quote:

Websites? Heh.

He was still the 3rd forward taken. The NHL Scouting Bureau had him as the top European forward, so it's not like a bunch of nobodies are overrating him. I think the stories of his demise have been greatly exaggerated just because some teams preferred defensemen over a RW.

As a person that has actually seen him play on a somewhat regular basis, I stick by the notion that he will be a good player in the NHL, especially with the Penguins. While people this off-season complained about some of the FA class not being 'Bylsma' players, Forsberg would have fit in very well with with his style of play. He also has a couple really good tournament performances under his belt at a really young age.

With all that being said, I am more than content on waiting to see how Pouliot turns out, because I admittedly know nothing about NA prospects. In the end, it all comes down to the Penguin organization being more comfortable with a more familiar NA prospect.

Black Label is offline   Reply With Quote