HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs heart and soul?

Old
07-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Ricky Bobby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
The epic end of season collapse or as Burke calls it "This is akin to an 18-wheeler going right off a cliff, and I've never seen anything like it before in my life. I don't know what happened," was due in large part to the team lacking any sort of intestinal fortitude.

It was that lacking of heart and soul that allowed such a disaster to occur.

In Minnesota GM Fletcher's team also had a big collapse however he went out and got NJ captain Parise and one of Nashville's leaders and addresses his teams lack of leadership and heart.

What has Burke done to address the Leafs situation?
Or a goaltender who could steal a game when the team had an off night and supplying the team with confidence.

The Leafs biggest issue with taking the next step begins and ends with getting goaltending.

As the old saying goes: "Show me a great coach and I'll show you a great goaltender".

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:37 AM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
It took us like 3 years to even consider another captain after Mats left. If that doesn't tell you how much he meant to the team, I don't know what does.
Because there were no candidates? Who would you have nominated? Kaberle? Antropov? Blake? Kubina? Toskala? As sad as it is, the closest captain material on that team was Ian White, and he was very far off.

4evaBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:55 AM
birddog*

Quote:
The epic end of season collapse or as Burke calls it "This is akin to an 18-wheeler going right off a cliff, and I've never seen anything like it before in my life. I don't know what happened," was due in large part to the team lacking any sort of intestinal fortitude.

In Minnesota GM Fletcher's team also had a big collapse however he went out and got NJ captain Parise and one of Nashville's leaders and addresses his teams lack of leadership and heart.

Don't blame the coaching -- aka your best friend.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Because there were no candidates? Who would you have nominated? Kaberle? Antropov? Blake? Kubina? Toskala? As sad as it is, the closest captain material on that team was Ian White, and he was very far off.
Luke Schenn was drafted/being developed heir apparent future captain for Toronto as many felt he possessed the quality to become a fine leader.. He was simply just too young when he was 18-21 to take on that role and just starting out.

He was none the less still one of Leafs heart and soul players despite his youth and inexperience.

Sadly that was snuffed out this offseason as he was sent packing before Leafs themselves could take full advantage of all of Luke's intangible qualities for their own future gain.

07-26-2012, 11:16 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans Man View Post

Here's the Leafs heart and soul
/thread.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:22 AM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Luke Schenn was drafted/being developed heir apparent future captain for Toronto as many felt he possessed the quality to become a fine leader.. He was simply just too young when he was 18-21 to take on that role and just starting out.

He was none the less still one of Leafs heart and soul players despite his youth and inexperience.

Sadly that was snuffed out this offseason as he was sent packing before Leafs themselves could take full advantage of all of Luke's intangible qualities for their own future gain.
Luke was definately too young for the role when Sundin left. My point was, the team didn't wait 3 years to appoint a captain after Mats because of how much he was respected and such, but because we literally had noone to take on the mantle when 90% of the team was going to get moved in a season or two.

Quite a few people have been bashing Phaneuf's captaincy eversince he's been appointed, but if Phaneuf is deemed not to have those "heart and soul" qualities required for captaincy, then Schenn certainly never has to date.

Old
07-26-2012, 11:40 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:

As you say, he was sadly traded before he could become the valuable leader he was projected to be.

But hey, we have a spectacular captain who once was a Norris-finalist to lead the troops now.

When Phaneuf was in Calgary he was said to not get along with the veterans who pointed out to him he had to work harder to become solid in his own zone. Same thing with Kessel at Boston. He was not popular among the older guys who found him lazy. This is the guys Burke traded for to take us forward and get away from the previous squads feeling of entitlement. I don't see how these two can help out with that and results have shown we have gone backward but at least they got sexy offensive stats, and for some that is all that matter. :shake head

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:47 AM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
:shake head
My thoughts exactly while I was reading your post.

Old
07-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Jozay
lolwut?

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghockey View Post
Completely objectively, I find something very unlike able about Dion. Like a swelling arrogance, who knows.

I just wish he would take that damn red bull hat off. He's the captain. Leafs hat.
Thats so true!

Jozay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Salgari

Send a message via MSN to Salgari
Quote:

Heart, soul and leadership right there, of course

Salgari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:30 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
My thoughts exactly while I was reading your post.
Oh sorry. I forgot to put my rose tinted glasses on.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
because a discussion has two sides sometimes.

you want it to be:

sundin was great. yep. next topic.
kessel is great. yep. next topic.
kadri will be great. yep. next topic.

?
no problem with discussions at all.

it's your trolling I don't care for.

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 10:03 AM
MakeTheIronSing

Hopefully Gardiner as of this year. That would be sick.

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 10:06 AM
KapG

Grabovski I would have to say.

KapG is online now   Reply With Quote