HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Talk (Part XIV): Semin to Carolina; Doan still thinking

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2012, 11:24 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Free Agent Talk (Part XIV): Semin to Carolina; Doan still thinking

Old one is over 1000. Continue.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Lundsanity30

Arnott had 34 pts last year compared to Boyle's 26 pts. Boyle is a MUCH better defensive forward which is why Torts likes him there. I fail to see any kind of upgrade here. 8 more pts than Boyle (who could even get better) ,and worse defensively is not an upgrade.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Rangers1135

Interesting.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:29 AM
bigblue21

Arnott = do not want. He's old, slow, not great defensively and not better than Boyle who is still in the prime of his career. Plus I'd rather have Halpern playing on the 4th in a clearly defined role than Arnott there.

If we need to sign another older forward, can it be the defensively responsible guy with some skill, Jochen Hecht?

Old
07-27-2012, 11:29 AM
NYR Viper

Guys, the only reason I brought up Arnott was to say that if the Rangers had extra cap space (and they do as of right now), maybe it would be a good option to sign a veteran who can play wing or center as a depth move. There will be injuries. The argument should not be whether he is better or worse than Boyle, he is a better hockey player than Rupp, Asham and Halpern.

If he comes in for 1 year what is the harm in signing someone who can provide quality depth for free instead of trading away a 3rd at the deadline for a similar player?

Old
07-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

u guys forget we signed jeff halpern?

he's your new 4th line center. boyle has earned the third line spot in torts' eyes what the hell are you talking about with guys like jason arnott lol.

we're done at center ice. its doan and or a RD man and thats it

Old
07-27-2012, 11:33 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Gaborik is coming off a major surgery that impacts his shot, and he'll have no camp. Chances are he'll be his old self around mid to late next season.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:34 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

It's amazing how people just cannot grasp the strategy behind depth.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Arnott had 34 pts last year compared to Boyle's 26 pts. Boyle is a MUCH better defensive forward which is why Torts likes him there. I fail to see any kind of upgrade here. 8 more pts than Boyle (who could even get better) ,and worse defensively is not an upgrade.
8 points with double the powerplay time and a lot more offensive zone starts.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:36 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Guys, the only reason I brought up Arnott was to say that if the Rangers had extra cap space (and they do as of right now), maybe it would be a good option to sign a veteran who can play wing or center as a depth move. There will be injuries. The argument should not be whether he is better or worse than Boyle, he is a better hockey player than Rupp, Asham and Halpern.

If he comes in for 1 year what is the harm in signing someone who can provide quality depth for free instead of trading away a 3rd at the deadline for a similar player?

According to some, nobody will get injured next season.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

its amazing that you think halpern or arnott for that matter would sign here to sit in the press box or in hartford

you have 12 to 14 spots. up front TOPS torts doesn't like more than 12. you want to sign arnott to do what exactly? where's he playing? this isn't a video game

your depth comes from the AHL signings like haley newbury and your talented prospects. as is if the rangers sign doan they'd already have one extra forward

Old
07-27-2012, 11:40 AM
bubba5

Quote:

Boy this team is getting older and older by the minute. Doan, Arnott,Kubina I mean can we stay with what has made this team successful last year. How agressive is old man Arnott going to be in Torts system, the guy will be burnt out by Christmas. This team is going to be walking the fine line of being old and slow soon just like in the dark years if we look to these aging vets to be pieces to the puzzle.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

Or, they can pocket the cap space and make some additions mid-season where the problem areas will be better defined.

You dont think there will be players better than Jason Arnott available at the deadline?

Old
07-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
It's amazing how people just cannot grasp the strategy behind depth.
I am all for depth but who is saying a VERY old Arnott will make it through the season?

If we need to get depth I'd rather we get a guy like Jesse Winchester who can be had on the cheap or we bring up a Haley, Thomas, and Miller if he is ready.

You are right, we do need depth, but Arnott is not going to come here to be a healthy scratch, he can go elsewhere and still get minutes.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
According to some, nobody will get injured next season.
So lets just sign every bottom 6 guy on the market to combat injuries. Thats smart.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:45 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Boy this team is getting older and older by the minute. Doan, Arnott,Kubina I mean can we stay with what has made this team successful last year. How agressive is old man Arnott going to be in Torts system, the guy will be burnt out by Christmas. This team is going to be walking the fine line of being old and slow soon just like in the dark years if we look to these aging vets to be pieces to the puzzle.
You realize that we haven't signed even 1 of those guys...and nobody was suggesting we sign all 3, right? And there's nothing wrong with adding a veteran or two in order to round out the lineup, and provide some depth. I'm not advocating any of those 3...but it's not the end of the world if we bring in one 35 year old for a one year deal. You make it sound as if none of them can play in the NHL.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:45 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
its amazing that you think halpern or arnott for that matter would sign here to sit in the press box or in hartford

you have 12 to 14 spots. up front TOPS torts doesn't like more than 12. you want to sign arnott to do what exactly? where's he playing? this isn't a video game

your depth comes from the AHL signings like haley newbury and your talented prospects. as is if the rangers sign doan they'd already have one extra forward
And if Doan signs elsewhere and the season starts on time?

Nash-Richards-Callahan
Kreider-Stepan-Pyatt
Hagelin-Boyle-________(Gaborik is out)
Rupp-Halpern-Asham

In AHL:
Haley
Newbury
Thomas
Miller
Hrivik
Yogan

Old
07-27-2012, 11:47 AM
bigblue21

Quote:
And if Doan signs elsewhere and the season starts on time?

Nash-Richards-Callahan
Kreider-Stepan-Pyatt
Hagelin-Boyle-Hecht (Gaborik is out)
Rupp-Halpern-Asham

In AHL:
Haley
Newbury
Thomas
Miller
Hrivik
Yogan
Done.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:50 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Or, they can pocket the cap space and make some additions mid-season where the problem areas will be better defined.

You dont think there will be players better than Jason Arnott available at the deadline?
I do think there will be better players available. That does not mean they can't upgrade at the deadline. Arnott is not going to make a ton of money and if he is looking for more than 1.5 than look elsewhere.

As of now they have A LOT of cap space. Adding a player at the deadline only puts a portion of their contract on the cap. They have plenty of room to sign a couple more depth players for the inevitable injury.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:51 AM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
You realize that we haven't signed even 1 of those guys...and nobody was suggesting we sign all 3, right? And there's nothing wrong with adding a veteran or two in order to round out the lineup, and provide some depth. I'm not advocating any of those 3...but it's not the end of the world if we bring in one 35 year old for a one year deal. You make it sound as if none of them can play in the NHL.
Uh, Really! Thanks for letting me know. I am commenting on what people bring up, just like you do and when people suggests old man Arnott or overweight Kubina, like they are getting these guys bodies from 10 years ago, to play in Torts aggressive system, you have to shake your head. Sorry I guess I mis- understood what this site was for.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Washington got much weaker than last year. Lost Semin and likely Knuble on offense and Wideman on defense. They did acquire Ribeiro, but overall the team is weaker than last year.

Old
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue21 View Post
Done.
You realize Hecht played 22 games last year right? The year before he had 29 points in only 67 games.

Old
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Today is the day we should supposedly find out if Doan is staying in phoenix or moving on

Old
07-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
I do think there will be better players available. That does not mean they can't upgrade at the deadline. Arnott is not going to make a ton of money and if he is looking for more than 1.5 than look elsewhere.

As of now they have A LOT of cap space. Adding a player at the deadline only puts a portion of their contract on the cap. They have plenty of room to sign a couple more depth players for the inevitable injury.
Arnott made 2.5M last year, and this off season the FA signings have been ridiculous. I'm sure he could get a better spot than 4th line somewhere else and more than 1.5M. Thats the problem, this market sucks so bad that even mediocre players are going to get paid. You want to spend over 2M to stick someone on the 4th line? should have just kept Prust than.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
Today is the day we should supposedly find out if Doan is staying in phoenix or moving on
Link?

Closed Thread