HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flyers re-sign Jakub Voracek (4 years, $4.2M per)

Old
07-26-2012, 11:27 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
My mind is blown reading this thread. How in the freaking world can people say this is an over-payment?

Rule #1: If almost every Penguin fan honestly admits that the Flyers did a good job signing someone.... believe them.

You know he's a damn good player when the opposing rival has come out in masses and said great things about Voracek. He's one guy that is a part of our post-game discussion from time-to-time for how dominant he is on the ice in both ends. I also think he's a player that doesn't have to show up on a stat sheet and he makes a prodigious difference in any game. Those players don't come by every day.

He's solid defensively and great on the back-check. His tenacity on the forecheck sets a tone for the Flyers. Only Hartnell can motivate the troops with a strong forecheck better than Voracek. I don't think he's the most gifted natural goal scorer, but who cares? There is so much he brings to the team.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:34 PM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

Completely agree with ColePens here. I can't stand the Flyers but this a great contract. You guys should be happy.

D U M B A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:58 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Fair market deal here. Voracek is a young guy who will continually get better. This signing to me shows that the Flyers want him to be part of the core that they are going to be building around. Giroux is the type of player that makes his linemates better and if Jakub plays with him this deal may look like a bargain. Good signing with locking up this young talent.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:38 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by crt View Post
Yesterday, people wanted their teams to offer sheet this guy for $5M+ per.

Today, he's an overpaid bum.
welcome to the world of HF where people are bitter and have short memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
Bit much, same as JVR I think??
I think the JVR contact was a bit much, then he was hurt for a good portian of the year. This is a solid contract for both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma View Post
Hes making more than Claude Giroux...
I saw so many examples of comparing Voracek's contract to others signed in past years and using that as a base. I dont think many people get the concept of the market changing after every season. You cannot compare one contract to another signed in seperate years. Especially ones seperated by 2 years.

Last edited by SnS: 07-27-2012 at 11:03 AM.
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:23 AM

The HF experts come out on masse and are wrong yet again. As someone said, listen to the Pens fans on this one.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:46 AM
GTopCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
My mind is blown reading this thread. How in the freaking world can people say this is an over-payment?

Rule #1: If almost every Penguin fan honestly admits that the Flyers did a good job signing someone.... believe them.

You know he's a damn good player when the opposing rival has come out in masses and said great things about Voracek. He's one guy that is a part of our post-game discussion from time-to-time for how dominant he is on the ice in both ends. I also think he's a player that doesn't have to show up on a stat sheet and he makes a prodigious difference in any game. Those players don't come by every day.

He's solid defensively and great on the back-check. His tenacity on the forecheck sets a tone for the Flyers. Only Hartnell can motivate the troops with a strong forecheck better than Voracek. I don't think he's the most gifted natural goal scorer, but who cares? There is so much he brings to the team.

Thank you!

GTopCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:50 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Good for the Flyers to lock him up. It's obviously Vorachek cashed in though cuz that's a pretty hefty price tag for him, or what he's proven so far. I thought the NBA paid on potential and the NHL paid for production. Hopefully all of this stops in the new cba.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:56 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
What are 45-50 point, two-way forwards supposed to make when the cap is 70 million? Look at the deal as a percentage of total cap and its good. His deal is being compared with deals signed when the cap was 10%-15% lower than it is now.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 08:14 AM
Haddock

Has the year by year salary been released? Not the cap hit, the actual salary.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Red08

Too much... Not horrible, but definitely not good.

I got to watch a lot of Voracek when he was with the Blue Jackets and I really like him, but he's not worth this much right now. However, this could be a good contract, but it's based on potential (which a lot of Flyer fans in this thread agree with). I'm not a fan of paying a player based on potential. I've seen too many GM's burn themselves by doing so.

Red08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

I'll ask again what 50 point, 2 way guys are supposed to make when the cap is 70 million? Because that's what be is right now, today.

Old
07-27-2012, 10:43 AM
mja
Negative Creep

All this thread makes me think of is people telling me I was crazy for thinking Claude Giroux could be a PPG+ player a few years back because he only scored 47 points in his first full season.

I'm very high on Jake. Think he can be a 75 point player pretty easily.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:05 AM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
All this thread makes me think of is people telling me I was crazy for thinking Claude Giroux could be a PPG+ player a few years back because he only scored 47 points in his first full season.

I'm very high on Jake. Think he can be a 75 point player pretty easily.
If he really works on and improves his finishing that I think you're right, he's got star player potential if his shot improves and the deal will be a bargain.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:05 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

For all the people saying he doesn't play the PK, it's because he doesn't have too.

Couts / Read

and

Talbot / Giroux

They were the two PK pairings during the season, Giroux and Talbot worked wonders setting up chances for each other.

Read and Couts ooze of defensive smarts, they knew what and where to go with the puck when they had it on the PK.

Voracek had a few games while they were out of the lineup, but it's not a necessity for him to do it right now. Even more that it isn't needed this season, with the addition of Fedetenko, who IIRC is pretty good on the PK.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:09 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
For all the people saying he doesn't play the PK, it's because he doesn't have too.

Couts / Read

and

Talbot / Giroux

They were the two PK pairings during the season, Giroux and Talbot worked wonders setting up chances for each other.

Read and Couts ooze of defensive smarts, they knew what and where to go with the puck when they had it on the PK.

Voracek had a few games while they were out of the lineup, but it's not a necessity for him to do it right now. Even more that it isn't needed this season, with the addition of Fedetenko, who IIRC is pretty good on the PK.
The best part about this nonsense is that Jake is a better defensive player than G is.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:10 AM
ELab2

Quote:
The best part about this nonsense is that Jake is a better defensive player than G is.
Perhaps, but I don't know that he's a better penalty killer. Giroux has great ability jumping point passes, I haven't seen that from Jake. Although, that could be because he's had limited time on the PK in Philly.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:12 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
Perhaps, but I don't know that he's a better penalty killer. Giroux has great ability jumping point passes, I haven't seen that from Jake. Although, that could be because he's had limited time on the PK in Philly.
ELab beat me to a response here.

SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:17 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Voracek played on the PK when one of the above guys were out. He was also amazing on the PK. Infact, his game is suited to it.

I love the true pens fans. They know the game inside out. It's a shame the bandwagon fans ruin your reputation.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
3+ minutes on the PP isn't 1st unit? Please explain what he does away from the puck that makes him "very good defensively"? Are you telling me that Voracek finishes all of his checks and drops the gloves? He's not soft but he doesnt initiate physical play at all.

"very good defensive" forwards do play the PK.
Mediocre ones play 33s a game, poor ones avoid the PK at all costs. Its common sense
RJ umberger was an excellent PK'er. He was horrendous defensively, evident by his -32 sophomore season in philly. Please stop talking about something you obviously know nothing about.

As for Voracek's "gravy" pp time. Voracek played the point all year on the PP. First time he has ever done it, and due to the reason that we have no one else to put there. So thanks for coming.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

It's been a few years now. If they've stuck around this long I think they've shed bandwagon status. There are some real gems in that bunch though (not unlike any fan bade including ours).

Old
07-28-2012, 08:11 AM
Nordique

Good signing, good player that will be great soon enough.

As for the critics...these are the same posters that in one thread labeled Rick Nash overpeaid and overrated, and then in the next thread blasted Howson for getting "fleeced" when he dealt for 2 top 6 forwards, a strong prospect, and a 1st round pick in juicy draft.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:28 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Good signing, good player that will be great soon enough.

As for the critics...these are the same posters that in one thread labeled Rick Nash overpeaid and overrated, and then in the next thread blasted Howson for getting "fleeced" when he dealt for 2 top 6 forwards, a strong prospect, and a 1st round pick in juicy draft.

Top 6 forwards?

I didn't see any of those going back Columbus' way

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 05:54 AM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote