HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Free Agent Talk (Part XIV): Semin to Carolina; Doan still thinking

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Arnott made 2.5M last year, and this off season the FA signings have been ridiculous. I'm sure he could get a better spot than 4th line somewhere else and more than 1.5M. Thats the problem, this market sucks so bad that even mediocre players are going to get paid. You want to spend over 2M to stick someone on the 4th line? should have just kept Prust than.
He clearly stated that he doesn't.

Old
07-27-2012, 10:55 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Uh, Really! Thanks for letting me know. I am commenting on what people bring up, just like you do and when people suggests old man Arnott or overweight Kubina, like they are getting these guys bodies from 10 years ago, to play in Torts aggressive system, you have to shake your head. Sorry I guess I mis- understood what this site was for.
Are you reading people's entire posts or just snippets? I recommended bringing Kubina in on a TRY-OUT. See what he has left in the tank. Maybe he looks like he can handle 15 minutes a night until Sauer gets back fully healthy. Maybe he will accept a cheap contract to stay in the NHL. These are ideas.

I have suggested Arnott as a cheap way to provide depth for the inevitable injury. He would not be needed if they could sign Doan, but if not, they need a forward. I would rather them sign Arnott than have to put Bickel at forward again for a stretch of games.

Old
07-27-2012, 10:56 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
He clearly stated that he doesn't.
but those guys being mentioned will get that from someone, and would rather not play on the 4th line I'm sure, unless they are dying for a chance at a cup run.

Old
07-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

actually what you'd do is put rupp or asham on the 3rd line and a guy like newbury or haley plays the 4 mins a night on the fourth line which is what torts does anyway

you don't just go sign a veteran guy like arnott because you are missing a forward for 20 games.

not to mention why would he sign here knowing that?

fringe guys come in to fill those holes not guys that can get a legit roster spot

you combat injuries as they come. rangers would like to get doan because they want him in their top 9 for the full season.

rangers have 4 nhl centermen healthy right now going into camp. they have more in the ahl they aren't signing arnott just in case lol

Old
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
No need for Arnott or anyone else, besides maybe Doan. We can offer him 2 years at 7.5 tops. If he doesn't like that then that's fine by me, someone young gets a legit chance of winning a roster spot during camp.

That's about it. Have feeling that Pho is out. Good news doesn't usually wait, he'd have found out by now if something had changed.

Think 4 team's are in it. Vanc, NYR, Phi, Pitt... that's my order of likelihood too. He's familiar with West, wife is from Vanc, that's a great place to bring up children. NYR is if we're offering him more money and he believes we're a better chance to win the cup. Phi is if neither NYR or Vanc is offering the contract he wants, they have extra money, and have a family community already established that many players appreciate. Pitt if he purely wants to win the cup and nothing more.

Old
Lundsanity30

I believe the plan is for the Rangers to sign another top 9 guy (whoever it may be), move Pyatt to the 4th line, and than Rupp or Asham become the extra forward.

Old
07-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
u guys forget we signed jeff halpern?

he's your new 4th line center. boyle has earned the third line spot in torts' eyes what the hell are you talking about with guys like jason arnott lol.

we're done at center ice. its doan and or a RD man and thats it
Disagree. We need a 3rd line center. Boyle is not the answer. He and Halpern can play on the 4th line together with Halpern on the wing taking most of the defensive draws. We need more offensive ability in our 3rd line center. I don't know if Arnott is the answer; hopefully it's JT Miller.

Old
07-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
but those guys being mentioned will get that from someone, and would rather not play on the 4th line I'm sure, unless they are dying for a chance at a cup run.
I'm not sure of that. Most teams have already filled their spots with the players they wanted. Normally late in summer free agents go for cheaper.

Old
07-27-2012, 10:59 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
And if that is the case, that they want to get paid more money to play on a bottom-feeder than let them go. I am not talking about targeting them and giving them whatever they want. I am talking about ideas to add cheap depth.

Good God guys, I know the off-season can get boring but I never thought I would have to spend hours defending bringing in a veteran defender on a TRY-OUT or a veteran to play in the bottom-6/extra forward. I am not talking about giving these guys 10 year contracts.

If they suck, either don't sign them or demote them.

Old
07-27-2012, 10:59 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
8 points with double the powerplay time and a lot more offensive zone starts.
Neither of them got much PP time so that's a red herring. Arnott is clearly more skilled than BB. The question is what does he have left and can he center the 3rd line because the 4th line center position has two good candidates.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Disagree. We need a 3rd line center. Boyle is not the answer. He and Halpern can play on the 4th line together with Halpern on the wing taking most of the defensive draws. We need more offensive ability in our 3rd line center. I don't know if Arnott is the answer; hopefully it's JT Miller.
Boyle is the 3rd line center, he played 3rd line center all year and if Torts didn't believe in him Dubinsky or Anisimov would have played that spot and Boyle would have been moved to the wing. Halpern was brought in to win faceoffs on the 4th line, heck when Drury came back after injury before being bought out he played 4th line center BEHIND Brian Boyle so please stop trying to make an argument that it fruitless.

Richards
Stepan
Boyle
Halpern

Argument is over regardless of what you may think, this is how Torts views it

Old
07-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Neither of them got much PP time so that's a red herring. Arnott is clearly more skilled than BB. The question is what does he have left and can he center the 3rd line because the 4th line center position has two good candidates.
Huh? Arnott still scored 14 of his 34 points on the PP. Boyle had more ES points than him, despite 28.8% of his shifts starting in the defensive zone. Boyle is much more fit to be a 3rd line center than Arnott.

Old
Lundsanity30

I could see bringing in someone like Arnott, if boyle moved to the wing?

Hagelin-Arnott-Boyle. At least you would have someone defensively responsible on that line in Boyle.

4th line than becomes Rupp/Asham-Halpern-Pyatt on the 4th line with Asham/Rupp and Haley being an extra forward.

Old
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Are you reading people's entire posts or just snippets? I recommended bringing Kubina in on a TRY-OUT. See what he has left in the tank. Maybe he looks like he can handle 15 minutes a night until Sauer gets back fully healthy. Maybe he will accept a cheap contract to stay in the NHL. These are ideas.

I have suggested Arnott as a cheap way to provide depth for the inevitable injury. He would not be needed if they could sign Doan, but if not, they need a forward. I would rather them sign Arnott than have to put Bickel at forward again for a stretch of games.
How about bringing in guys younger to play an up tempo style? Why are old man needed? Sure bring in Kubina for a tryout, he will burned out to by Christmas if he makes the team.

I agree he would not be needed if they get Doan, but he is not needed at all as he is old and slow, does not matter if it is for part-time or full time,.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:05 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
So lets just sign every bottom 6 guy on the market to combat injuries. Thats smart.
Where did I say that?

I want them to sign one, and I dont care who it is.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:06 AM
bigblue21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
You realize Hecht played 22 games last year right? The year before he had 29 points in only 67 games.
Yeah, I realize that. From concussion-related symptoms. Considering that, he would almost definitely come cheap, which is part of what you look for in a depth forward. And if we got 29 pts in 67 games from a 3rd line forward, I'd consider that a win.

Obviously I'm assuming he'd be physically ready to play at the start of this season. Which I don't think is an unfair assumption.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:06 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
Boyle is the 3rd line center, he played 3rd line center all year and if Torts didn't believe in him Dubinsky or Anisimov would have played that spot and Boyle would have been moved to the wing. Halpern was brought in to win faceoffs on the 4th line, heck when Drury came back after injury before being bought out he played 4th line center BEHIND Brian Boyle so please stop trying to make an argument that it fruitless.

Richards
Stepan
Boyle
Halpern

Argument is over regardless of what you may think, this is how Torts views it
He did not play third line center all year; see many games? Boyle cannot produce offense; period. And therefore he cannot play on the third line if we intend to have a balanced attack. I think Torts is smart enough to see that even if others cannot.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Lundsanity30

The problem with all these older guys, is playing in Tort's system. can they handle it?

Old
07-27-2012, 11:07 AM
egelband

Im confident that the management has things in hand. Their might be one more depth signing coming and maybe doan, but this roster seems otherwise allset. They want the kids to step up too. Some degree of upset, hopefully on the fourth line, during the season, isnt necessarily a bad thing.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:08 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
He did not play third line center all year; see many games? Boyle cannot produce offense; period. And therefore he cannot play on the third line if we intend to have a balanced attack. I think Torts is smart enough to see that even if others cannot.
well neither Dubinsky NOR Anisimov played there, so what makes you think Torts would play Arnott over Boyle?

Old
07-27-2012, 11:08 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
No need for Arnott or anyone else, besides maybe Doan. We can offer him 2 years at 7.5 tops.
The numbers being thrown around for Doan are hilarious. I'd like to have him, but not at these absurd levels. Does everyone realize that his cap hit would be on the books no matter what happens? Including a major injury? And you want to give him a multi-year deal at the same cap hit as Gaborik? Thats insane.

Shane Doan is a 35 year old 50 point player. Whatever intangibles he possesses is something the Rangers already have in spades. He'd be a nice addition to round out the top 9 forwards, but not at the prices that have been thrown around.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
I could see bringing in someone like Arnott, if boyle moved to the wing?

Hagelin-Arnott-Boyle. At least you would have someone defensively responsible on that line in Boyle.

4th line than becomes Rupp/Asham-Halpern-Pyatt on the 4th line with Asham/Rupp and Haley being an extra forward.
Boyle is defensively active; not necessarily responsible. He never has the puck so he plays alot of defense. But everyone overrates his abilities. He mishandles the puck on a regular basis and loses his balance on a very regular basis. He blocks shots with the best of them and has a great reach but let's not make him out to be Guy Carboneau. And his faceoff abilities are not great.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
He scored 21 goals 2 seasons ago with a high shooting percentage, 11 goals this past season with a low shooting percentage. Wisdom says it'll regress to the mean and I dont see any reason he cant put up 15-17 goals.

So, my question is, what exactly do you expect out of your third line center? Because, it sure looks like your expectations are inflated when it comes to 3rd line production around the league.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
well neither Dubinsky NOR Anisimov played there, so what makes you think Torts would play Arnott over Boyle?
I am not advocating for Arnott. But I am advocating for a solution other than BB for 3rd line center. Any line he plays on becomes offensively stagnant. Cycle, cycle, lose puck, play defense. Never a shot in sight. And Anisimov did play some center last year as did John Mitchell.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
He scored 21 goals 2 seasons ago with a high shooting percentage, 11 goals this past season with a low shooting percentage. Wisdom says it'll regress to the mean and I dont see any reason he cant put up 15-17 goals.

So, my question is, what exactly do you expect out of your third line center? Because, it sure looks like your expectations are inflated when it comes to 3rd line production around the league.
Stop it. Every Ranger fan knows that he had two months where the sun shined on him. And then he went back to being Brian Boyle a guy who can't score and more importantly for a center cannot distribute the puck AT ALL. What are his assist totals? My expectations are a third line that can threaten the other team offensively especially since they should be playing against a weaker defensive pair. Brian possesses no such abilities and never will.

Closed Thread